I DID IT! DA 55-300 PLM, Pffff.

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Richard Smals
Richard Smals Senior Member • Posts: 1,929
I DID IT! DA 55-300 PLM, Pffff.

I did it and bought the DA 300 PLM for my K3. Focus is swift, and with good enough reliability. Sharpness for the price is good, but not on the level of my Sigma 100-400 for Canon. Portability is great, can take this lens everywhere an go unnoticed. For this small split barrel design the image is better then expected. Shot all images wide open and reasonable high ISO

My first images with this lens are young ducks. Hope you like them.

-- hide signature --
MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 41,236
Re: I DID IT! DA 55-300 PLM, Pffff.

Beautiful photos

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/user/SpeEedy/profile/photos?sortBy=photoFavoriteCount

Kobie M-C
Kobie M-C Regular Member • Posts: 435

It's my favorite walk around lens if I don't need something wide. It's more versatile then many probably realise as it has very good close focus distance. It's not just about distant subjects with it. Welcome to the 55-300 PLM  club!

-- hide signature --

I am not a Pentax insider. I just have a unique way of gaining insight.

Kobie M-C's gear list:Kobie M-C's gear list
Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 Pentax K-3 Mark III Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +7 more
PentUp Senior Member • Posts: 2,704

Great images Richard. Well done! I think that you are going to really enjoy this lens, no matter which compatible Pentax DSLR you attach it to

PentUp's gear list:PentUp's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Pentax K-x Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-50 Pentax K-3 Mark III +11 more
M R Padmaraju Veteran Member • Posts: 6,062

Congrats . Beautiful pictures . As you get to understand this lens you will get even better.  F.8 is my sweet spot .

Regards ,

mrp .

M R Padmaraju's gear list:M R Padmaraju's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F40fd Pentax K-x Pentax K-01 Pentax K-500 Pentax K-S1 +8 more
Richard Smals
OP Richard Smals Senior Member • Posts: 1,929

Thanks Mike.

-- hide signature --
Richard Smals

Kobie M-C wrote:

It's my favorite walk around lens if I don't need something wide. It's more versatile then many probably realise as it has very good close focus distance. It's not just about distant subjects with it. Welcome to the 55-300 PLM club!

Thanks Kobie, i think Pentax as  a whole is great to walk with. People react also different then i go out with Canon gear.  It's like you are the odd one who didn't get the email of what's hot or not

But ergonomic wise Pentax is the best camera to use without looking at it. Just press the buttons and look at your subject simultaneous.

-- hide signature --
Richard Smals

PentUp wrote:

Great images Richard. Well done! I think that you are going to really enjoy this lens, no matter which compatible Pentax DSLR you attach it to

Thanks Pentup, i have got the K3 secondhand with only 3000 clicks. Pentax is still a brand i have a lot of love for.

-- hide signature --
Richard Smals

Thanks. I sure will try, a lot.

-- hide signature --
drummercam Senior Member • Posts: 1,950

One of the best Pentax zooms ever.  Nice shots of the ducklings.  They have a really good look to them.

-- hide signature --

"Elegance of operation" -- Pentax
"Heavy for its size" -- DPR

drummercam's gear list:drummercam's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital III Leica Q Pentax K-01 Pentax Q7 Pentax K-3 +11 more
kriztian Senior Member • Posts: 1,398

Really nice

-- hide signature --

kriztian

Jon Donahue Contributing Member • Posts: 844

Great pictures! It's wonderful to be able to see what a baby duck actually looks like, with these nice sharp closeups. Thanks!

Jon Donahue's gear list:Jon Donahue's gear list
Ricoh GR II Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-70
Richard Smals

Thanks for the nice comment. It's a good zoom lens.

-- hide signature --
Richard Smals

Thanks Kriztian.

-- hide signature --
Richard Smals

Jon Donahue wrote:

Great pictures! It's wonderful to be able to see what a baby duck actually looks like, with these nice sharp closeups. Thanks!

Thanks Jon, the only problem with the K3 is the lack of the flippy screen (you have the K70 i believe) . It's very hard to shoot low over the ground. The K3 is a camera which let you feel the pain of photography (ohh my back ;)).

-- hide signature --
Rahto Senior Member • Posts: 1,532

Nice series of images Richard and that is coming from someone else who enjoys the benefits of shooting both Canon and Pentax systems.

Bob

Rahto's gear list:Rahto's gear list
Canon EOS D60 Pentax *ist DS Pentax K-7 Pentax K-3 Pentax K-3 II +62 more
Seahbc Regular Member • Posts: 117

Nice!

Ricoh should do a proper 18-55 PLM WR RE to go with this one. From what I heard, the current 18-50 RE is not so hot.

Seahbc's gear list:Seahbc's gear list
Pentax K-3 Mark III Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Pentax 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 WR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads