I used to own an FZ50

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
toomanycanons Forum Pro • Posts: 13,607
I used to own an FZ50

What I remember was it had a lens that was manually zoomed, like a DSLR telephoto.  The problem was that it started at 35mm.  I loved its output but I was just starting out with photography and sold it after a year.  And this was a long time ago.  I think my next Panasonic was an FZ18 then a ZS3.

Does the FZ1000 have the same type of telephoto action or is it switch-operated?  I've been asking here about the ZS3 and future iterations but now I'm thinking that I should focus on the 1" sensor cameras.

Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 (Lumix DMC-TZ7)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
thinkinginimages
thinkinginimages Senior Member • Posts: 1,257
Re: I used to own an FZ50

I had the FZ50, as well as the FZ1000. The ring around the lens on the FZ1000 can be used to zoom, by it's not a mechanical zoom like the FZ50. It "zoom-by-wire" for lack of a better phrase. The zoom ring activates the motors within the lens to move the lens elements.

thinkinginimages's gear list:thinkinginimages's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
bluzman
bluzman Senior Member • Posts: 1,206

I owned an FZ1000. With the manual ring selector switch set to "Zoom", rotating the ring would zoom the lens similarly to zooming a DSLR lens. However, the responsiveness of the fly-by-wire system left a lot to be desired...there was lag and a general lack of feel.

When I gifted the FZ1000 to make room for an FZ1000 II, I was delighted to find that rotating the Control Ring on the FZ1000 II zoomed the lens without lag or a lack of feel. IMO, on the FZ1000 II, zooming the lens in this manner seems like an exact analog of zooming a DSLR lens. I have completely stopped using the zoom lever around the shutter button.

bluzman's gear list:bluzman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II Nikon D7500 Nikon Z50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Nikon D500 +16 more
Dak on cam
Dak on cam Senior Member • Posts: 6,344

toomanycanons wrote:

What I remember was it had a lens that was manually zoomed, like a DSLR telephoto. The problem was that it started at 35mm. I loved its output but I was just starting out with photography and sold it after a year. And this was a long time ago. I think my next Panasonic was an FZ18 then a ZS3.

FZ50 is probably the last manually linked zoom compact from Panasonic.

Does the FZ1000 have the same type of telephoto action or is it switch-operated? I've been asking here about the ZS3 and future iterations but now I'm thinking that I should focus on the 1" sensor cameras.

You can use the ring around the FZ1000 for zooming or focusing electrically but it has a bad rep (you'll find some Graham Houghton video demonstrating it I think).

FZ2000 or FZ1000mk2 are said to be much better in that regard.

-- hide signature --

Dak

Dak on cam's gear list:Dak on cam's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P52 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads