Samyang 24mm f/1.8 vs Zeiss Batis 25mm

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
sirVir New Member • Posts: 9
Samyang 24mm f/1.8 vs Zeiss Batis 25mm

I can buy a used Zeiss Batis for the price of a new Samyang. I am not aware of anyone directly comparing those two lenses, but they seem very similar with their size, focal length, f-stop and built.

Does anyone have both and could comment on their optical qualities? My takeaway so far:

For Batis:

• better build quality
  • less value depreciation
  • T* coating

For Samyang:
- newer construction
- comes with a warranty
- slightly wider and brighter
- more complex optical design
- lighter

For both:
- weather sealing
- “extras” - oled, infinity indicator, extra button

sirVir's gear list:sirVir's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS 6D +28 more
Ron Outdoors Contributing Member • Posts: 998
Re: Samyang 24mm f/1.8 vs Zeiss Batis 25mm

sirVir wrote:

I can buy a used Zeiss Batis for the price of a new Samyang. I am not aware of anyone directly comparing those two lenses, but they seem very similar with their size, focal length, f-stop and built.

Does anyone have both and could comment on their optical qualities? My takeaway so far:

For Batis:

• better build quality
  • T* coating

For Samyang:
- newer construction
- comes with a warranty
- lighter

For both:
- weather sealing

I used to have the Batis 25mm. Great lens, very sharp. I wonder if the Samyang would be as good. And the Batis seems to be wider than 25, so probably about the same there.

The Batis is bigger and heavier and takes a larger filter. Batis uses a curved, flaring outer shell, making them bigger than similar focal lengths. They are well built. But for me, a lot would depend on the condition of the particular lens you're considering. The Samyangs do depreciate a lot from their original release price.

-- hide signature --

www.ronhartman.net

Ron Outdoors's gear list:Ron Outdoors's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Sony a7R IV Zeiss Batis 40mm F2 CF Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +5 more
newdom Regular Member • Posts: 276

Ron Outdoors wrote:

sirVir wrote:

For Batis:

• better build quality
  • T* coating

For Samyang:
- newer construction
- comes with a warranty
- lighter

For both:
- weather sealing

I used to have the Batis 25mm. Great lens, very sharp. I wonder if the Samyang would be as good. And the Batis seems to be wider than 25, so probably about the same there.

The Batis is bigger and heavier and takes a larger filter. Batis uses a curved, flaring outer shell, making them bigger than similar focal lengths. They are well built. But for me, a lot would depend on the condition of the particular lens you're considering. The Samyangs do depreciate a lot from their original release price.

I've not got any experience with the Batis, but would love to - everyone raves about the contrast and colours.

I've got the Samyang 24/1.8 after having the 35/1.8 and 75/1.8.  Initially I didn't like the Samyangs - they feel a bit cheap and flimsy and look a bit plain, but once you start using them a bit then you really start to appreciate them.  They're very light and small for the wide aperture and very sharp.  I used the Sony 35/1.8 and Samyang 35/1.8 back to back for a while to compare, I would say the Samyang was sharper and produced nicer rendering, but the Sony was marginally better on AF.  If you update the Samyang firmware then they've largely sorted their earlier AF issues and they're pretty good now.

The 75/1.8 and 35/1.8 gave eye-opening results for the money, but the 24/1.8 is something else, it's stunningly sharp and beautiful rendering - read all the reviews and look at the ones that compare it favourably with the 24GM.  They're getting better and better, lens by lens.  It also has a really useful infinity focus for astro which is really nice for me as a newbie as I failed miserably at doing astro with my other lenses.  And all the tiny range have the mode switch to turn the front focus ring into aperture ring (or other functions that can be programmed), and on the 24 you get the programmable button.

I got the 24/1.8 on sale for £379 on Amazon - they may depreciate faster in percentage terms than other lenses but in real terms it will be tiny - I could probably sell it on ebay for what I bought it for in a few hours, and if bought at full price - £459 - you'd only lose a few quid at most.  The cheapest I can see a used Batis 25mm for here is £689, so it's quite a price difference.  No question they will be better built (the Batis).

If it's not too wide for you, the Sony 20/1.8 is worth a look - it gets sky high reviews by everyone, that's probably my next purchase

newdom's gear list:newdom's gear list
Sony a7R II Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG DN Samyang AF 85mm F1.4 FE Samyang AF 35mm F1.8 FE Sony FE 28-60mm F4-5.6 +4 more
Rol Lei Nut Veteran Member • Posts: 5,628

I never considered the Batis because it is bulky, despite being light, so I ended up getting the Loxia 25 as my modern 24/25mm lens.

A couple of months ago I got the Samyang 24 1.8. Immediate reason being because it's far lighter than the Loxia.

After many comparisons, I still haven't found a situation in which the Loxia gives clearly better results: flare, sharpness, colours and contrast are all pretty similar. Build-wise, the Loxia will probably last forever, whereas the Samyang is more of an unknown. But of the two, the Samyang is now my goto 24/25mm....

The other Samyang 1.8 lenses (35 & 75) are also very, very good and have replaced some nice German named lenses in use.

JpGomez Contributing Member • Posts: 526

sirVir wrote:

I can buy a used Zeiss Batis for the price of a new Samyang.

That is a pretty good deal! Considering Samyang will be -$100 in a few months.

-- hide signature --

The best gear is the one you have at that moment.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jpgomez/

JpGomez's gear list:JpGomez's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 35mm F1.8 Samyang AF 18mm F2.8 FE Samyang AF 85mm F1.4 FE Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6
Dan_168 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,931

sirVir wrote:

I do not have any experience with the Samyang 24 but I did own the Batis 18 and 25 at one point but not a huge fan of this entire Batis line, even I am a 30 year Zeiss Fan currently have 8 Zeiss in my bag, those Batis just don't feel like a Zeiss at all optically or the way it operates.

The Batis 25 is big lens for a F2 prime, produced even worse vignetting than a lot of my 24mm 1.4 lens, the 24GM for example has less dark corner at F1.4 than the Batis at F2, it also produces pretty harsh Bokeh, while no one shoot 24/25mm lens for the best Bokeh, but still, i really don't like how it render background, the onion ring it produces it's just ugly, it won't produce those typical pin sharp sun stars like the traditional Zeiss and Voigtlander does, so it was not my favorite environmental portrait lens nor the best landscape lens, so I got rid of mine and never look back.

Mr_Win Senior Member • Posts: 1,224

my money is on the samyang, cant imagine it being worse than the 18 or 35, which are decent optics

58mm filter thread > 67mm, super nice if you already have the sy collection.

220g vs 335g is significant

Used batis for ~600, I wouldnt even bother, the Z badge isnt enough to sway me, and I have some zeiss lenses with impeccable color.  it does not offer the full speed on the A9/A1 so focus is mostly a wash.  both weather sealed, SY has a button and switch...  both have builds that leave you wanting more but at least the SY is lightweight, it is more purposely built for that.

bpatient Regular Member • Posts: 450

sirVir wrote:

I can buy a used Zeiss Batis for the price of a new Samyang. I am not aware of anyone directly comparing those two lenses

Here, at least, are reviews of those two lenses that feature the same bookcase:

https://sonyalpha.blog/2017/07/13/zeiss-batis-25mm-f2/

https://sonyalpha.blog/2021/05/24/samyang-24mm-f1-8-af/

bpatient's gear list:bpatient's gear list
Sony a7R III Zeiss Loxia 25mm F2.4 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads