Arctic beauty

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Marko_Finland
Marko_Finland Senior Member • Posts: 1,380
Re: Arctic beauty

That's a beautiful capture. I'm always a bit envious of the mountainous landscapes you guys have over there in Sweden.

Marko

Marko_Finland's gear list:Marko_Finland's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus E-M1 III Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus 25mm F1.2 +2 more
Dann-Oh Contributing Member • Posts: 670

Muster Mark wrote:

Dann-Oh wrote:

To me, this appears to be an argument for the advanced processing powers within the Olympus camera bodies rather than an argument for the advantages of a micro4/3 sensor within an Olympus camera bodies.

That being said Im not too sure what it would take to put these advanced processing powers inside a full frame sensor body.

Is the distinction that important? It's not like we can change out sensor formats like film. Nor did he say this is something a FF camera will never be able to do.

Its only important because Lasse said it was (see (1) below). He (or she) is the one saying Full Frame cameras can not do. However, another users mentions that their R6 (a full frame sensor camera) can in fact perform focus bracket/stacking (see (2) below). Granted elsewhere in this thread Lasse mentioned that they didn't know the R6 could do focus stacking/bracketing.

So again, to me its not the argument that the micro4/3 sensor is superior to a full frame sensor; its the fact that Olympus has extra processing power to allow the user access to creative in camera features. I don't understand why the Lasse's statement was specifically about full frame sensor bodies when there is only 1 other camera manufacture (that I know of, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) that offers the access to this specific creative in camera feature.

(1) Lasse Eisele wrote:

By the way, I don't know of any current full frame camera that would let me take this picture.

(2) A_Mist wrote:

Me too. At least my Canon R6 can do focus bracketing.

”The EOS R6 features focus bracketing, which lets photographers create focus-stacked composite images with much more depth of field than can be generated with small apertures alone. It’s an especially useful technique for close-up or macro images, where depth of field is naturally shallow.

Edit:

All of this being said I still absolutely LOVE my Olympus kit.  I only wish I had discovered the beauty of this system a few years ago when I was starting out in photography.

-- hide signature --

I take photos, not particularly good photos, mostly abstract photos. Yeah abstract is what I would call them, you might call them blurry.

Dann-Oh's gear list:Dann-Oh's gear list
Olympus E-M5 III Olympus E-PL10 Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 +14 more
Photodog2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,695
Re: Arctic beauty - but an older one

Excellent capture. Nice to see Olympus still being king of the mountain. I'm going to have to take some pics next time I'm in the Olympic range. Btw, love those Kodakchrome colors and dynamic range. I tend to select the Kodakchrome whenever I'm using film filters in PP with my digital Olys.

Photodog2's gear list:Photodog2's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 IIs Nikon D600 Sony a6000 Sony a7 II +9 more
Great Bustard Forum Pro • Posts: 45,431
Wonderful photo! However...

Lasse Eisele wrote:

Hi there!

I haven't posted here for quite some time. Just wanted to share an image from my latest hike in the Kebnekaise area in Swedish Lapland.

It was a terrible hike for the most part, much too hot and boring blue skies all the time. Until the very last afternoon when some clouds turned up and brought a decent light.

The flowers are mountain avens, Dryas octopetala. 14 focus bracketed images, handheld.

By the way, I don't know of any current full frame camera that would let me take this picture.

...why do you think that no FF camera has focus bracketing?  Even the lowly Canon RP has focus bracketing.

Regards
Lasse

Messier Object Forum Pro • Posts: 11,737

Beautiful!

I love close foreground wide angle landscapes like this.

Was this an in-camera stack ?

Peter

Lasse Eisele
OP Lasse Eisele Senior Member • Posts: 2,028
Re: Wonderful photo! However...

Great Bustard wrote:

Lasse Eisele wrote:

Hi there!

I haven't posted here for quite some time. Just wanted to share an image from my latest hike in the Kebnekaise area in Swedish Lapland.

It was a terrible hike for the most part, much too hot and boring blue skies all the time. Until the very last afternoon when some clouds turned up and brought a decent light.

The flowers are mountain avens, Dryas octopetala. 14 focus bracketed images, handheld.

...why do you think that no FF camera has focus bracketing? Even the lowly Canon RP has focus bracketing.

I was obviously wrong and I'm sorry for spreading misinformation.

However, the FF cameras that are most interesting to me, personally, either don't have focus bracketing or have a poor implementation that can't be used for handheld work.

Regards
Lasse

-- hide signature --
Lasse Eisele
OP Lasse Eisele Senior Member • Posts: 2,028

Messier Object wrote:

Beautiful!

Peter

Thanks! I only use the in-camera stacks for evaluation. I mostly use Helicon Focus for the final stack and sometimes Photoshop CC. This one was tricky, however, with lots of intersecting detail, so I used a combination of Helicon and PS.

-- hide signature --
Messier Object Forum Pro • Posts: 11,737

Lasse Eisele wrote:

Messier Object wrote:

Beautiful!

Peter

Thanks! I only use the in-camera stacks for evaluation. I mostly use Helicon Focus for the final stack and sometimes Photoshop CC. This one was tricky, however, with lots of intersecting detail, so I used a combination of Helicon and PS.

I haven’t done a lot of stacking other than with astrophotography, but the images I’m seeing lately on this and the Olympus forum are inspiring me to give it a proper go.

Peter

kitanaka
kitanaka Contributing Member • Posts: 772

Great shot. You have made great use of 2 of Olympus' fantastic features. Well done!

kitanaka's gear list:kitanaka's gear list
Nikon D500 Olympus E-M1 II Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR +1 more
Gary from Seattle Veteran Member • Posts: 6,747
I doubt it.

G1Houston wrote:

Lasse Eisele wrote:

Well, Sony cameras can't do focus bracketing at all. The same goes for Canon, as far as I know. Nikon Z cameras can do it, but the implementation is poor and it is near impossible to do handheld bracketing (I was on a steep hillside with the camera at ground level – no way to set up a tripod).

But I was probably wrong anyway. It seems like the Panasonic L-mount cameras can do it.

It just requires proper knowledge of DOF and framing.

Dryas are very small flowers just a couple-three inches above the ground. Doubt you could obtain anything approaching DOF with a single shot.

https://biology.burke.washington.edu/herbarium/imagecollection/taxon.php?Taxon=Dryas%20hookeriana

Gary from Seattle's gear list:Gary from Seattle's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +5 more
Gary from Seattle Veteran Member • Posts: 6,747

Dann-Oh wrote:

To me, this appears to be an argument for the advanced processing powers within the Olympus camera bodies rather than an argument for the advantages of a micro4/3 sensor within an Olympus camera bodies.

You are right in thinking that Olympus has been much more innovative in photography than other brands.

That being said Im not too sure what it would take to put these advanced processing powers inside a full frame sensor body.

Gary from Seattle's gear list:Gary from Seattle's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +5 more
Leolab Junior Member • Posts: 48

While I do think Olympus has a head-start and has been innovative in computational imaging (HHHR, Pixel-shift, live-composite...), and they deserve credit for driving this,  others are rapidly catching up.

On the other hand, many of the bigger innovations that we enjoy today started with other camera companies and they should get their due

Minolta awas the first with IBIS in 2003, followed by Pentax in 2006

Sony popularized the EVF with their SLT line, pre-mirrorless

Panasonic designed the first ILC 'mirrorless' camera, the G1... Our friends in the Rangefinder community would point out that the Leica M8 and Epson RD1 were digital mirrorless cameras that preceded the G1 by 5 years in the case of the Epson.

Certainly Olympus was not the driver behind CDAF or PDAF, nor OIS, LCD screens for live view, making flippy/tilting screens

The cameras we enjoy today are the culmination of internal innovation and adopting of good ideas from others.

Saying Olympus is out-innovating the others is hard to agree with when facts are used to support the arguments. I am sure that those on the Sony forum think that Sony is out innovating Olympus and so on, after all Olympus uses Sony sensors and there is no debate that these have dramatically improved over time due to innovation (BSI...) from Sony

All of these imaging companies spend millions on RD and they do so to innovate in areas that allow them to differentiate themselves, so they have to pick their spots wrt what they focus on.

Re: I doubt it.

Gary from Seattle wrote:

G1Houston wrote:

Lasse Eisele wrote:

Well, Sony cameras can't do focus bracketing at all. The same goes for Canon, as far as I know. Nikon Z cameras can do it, but the implementation is poor and it is near impossible to do handheld bracketing (I was on a steep hillside with the camera at ground level – no way to set up a tripod).

But I was probably wrong anyway. It seems like the Panasonic L-mount cameras can do it.

It just requires proper knowledge of DOF and framing.

Dryas are very small flowers just a couple-three inches above the ground. Doubt you could obtain anything approaching DOF with a single shot.

https://biology.burke.washington.edu/herbarium/imagecollection/taxon.php?Taxon=Dryas%20hookeriana

Let's just say that focus stacking is far and away the better path to get a photo as good as the OP's photo.

Lasse Eisele wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

Lasse Eisele wrote:

Hi there!

...why do you think that no FF camera has focus bracketing? Even the lowly Canon RP has focus bracketing.

I was obviously wrong and I'm sorry for spreading misinformation.

Not necessarily "obviously wrong" -- I presumed that you were saying it's impossible for any FF camera because of focus bracketing.  If there were another feature besides focus stacking that made it impossible, I'd have been pleased to learn it.

However, the FF cameras that are most interesting to me, personally, either don't have focus bracketing or have a poor implementation that can't be used for handheld work.

Fair to say.  My understanding is that the Panasonic S1 has the best implementation of focus stacking for a FF camera.

Regards
Lasse

In any case, again, let me say, "Wonderful photo!"  Cheers!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads