4/3 Oly 50mm f2 Macro vs Pana 45mm f2.8 Macro

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
CR1975 Forum Member • Posts: 82
4/3 Oly 50mm f2 Macro vs Pana 45mm f2.8 Macro

hello all

hopefully this is less contentious that some of the more active threads I have seen.  I was debating about getting a Panasonic 45mm 2.8 Macro to replace my adapted Oly zuiko 50mm f2 macro.   Recognizing that the O50 is recognized as a great lens, trying to figure out how to improve carrying weight and optimization of my kit.   Currently have EM1.1, EM5.3 and E-PM2.

Anyone have good experiences with using the P45 2.8 on an oly body?  I am sure the body does not matter all that much outside of CA/PF management but wanted to get some thoughts as i have not ever used the P45.  Part of my reasoning of also going with this FL is the flexibility of some portrait work, of which  for me, works the best (e.g. m43 42-50mm, or 85-100mm in 35mm terms)  I have also not liked the 30, and 60mm lengths as I also want to use them as general purpose every so often and for me just does not work.

thoughts all on the PL?  other than it is expensive relative to other lenses on the platform?

-- hide signature --

===
Shooting an Olympus in Vancouver, BC!

CR1975's gear list:CR1975's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M5 III Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +6 more
Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN E-PM2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
J R 47 New Member • Posts: 11
Re: 4/3 Oly 50mm f2 Macro vs Pana 45mm f2.8 Macro

Thank you for your post.  Sorry I do not  have experience with the Pana 45mm macro; only with the 4/3 Oly 50mm macro.  I agree with you that the adapted Oly 50 gives great results both as a general / portrait lens and as a dedicated macro.  I hope that otbers can give you direct feedback on the Pana 45 lens.

About weight and about optimization of your kit, would you be able to also consider the compact and lightweight Pana 42.5mm f/1.7 lens that offers good close focusing (semi macro)?

Also if you can do without full macro, the Oly 12-45 Pro lens gives a 1:2 close focusing ratio (I believe) in 35mm terms.  I have found that with this Oly lens you can also use the 2x Digital Tele Converter button to bring the subject into macro range.  Because this Pro lens is so sharp, not much detail is lost in adding the 2x DTC.  Hope these suggestions add to your consideration.

Leolab Junior Member • Posts: 29

Hi

I personally love the Oly 4/3 50mm macro, and it looks like you have two bodies that can effectively use the lens with decent focus speed.

I also like the 45mm Panny macro lens, great sharpness and color as well, but is a full stop slower than the 50mm Oly, and at least for me having a largish prime at f2.8 on m43 is not ideal for general use. I would also say that the Panasonic lens is not the fastest focusing lens (most macros are pretty slow compared to general purpose lenses) for general use. It does have IS though which is handy.

I like the previous posters recommendation to see if the 42.5mm 1.7 will work for you instead, this is a great, small, light sharp and fast focusing lens for general tele use, and can do 'close-ups' up to 0.2x magnification...so this is a good choice if true higher-mag macro capabilities are not needed. This lens would work well on all of your bodies since it has IS and is small and fast-focusing

OP CR1975 Forum Member • Posts: 82

Thanks J R 47 for your thoughts.

I have to admit working with the MMF-3/O50 is much improved on the E-M5 Mark III vs my old EM1.1, specifically for General /Portrait use.  It should not be surprising i suppose, due to having real PDAF vs only horizontal PD on the EM1.1  In terms of the macro performance, well, i suspect camera does not make a huge difference for a real solid session of outdoor macro shooting.

I previously looked at the P42.5 and really hummed and hawed over that one.  I will look at the close focusing and see if that is feasible for my use, considering the huge price difference as well.

I also debated about the 12-45 as i recall reading about the 1:2 Close focusing.  IF i did that, I would likely have to give up my old P12-35 2.8 MKI as cannot justify keeping both.  That old lens does not do close focusing or magnification, all that well from my experience so that would be a plus but losing the 2.8 would be my biggest concern.  If the 12-45 were a 2.8-4 (which Olympus never does) it would have been a no brainer!

J R 47 wrote:

Thank you for your post. Sorry I do not have experience with the Pana 45mm macro; only with the 4/3 Oly 50mm macro. I agree with you that the adapted Oly 50 gives great results both as a general / portrait lens and as a dedicated macro. I hope that otbers can give you direct feedback on the Pana 45 lens.

About weight and about optimization of your kit, would you be able to also consider the compact and lightweight Pana 42.5mm f/1.7 lens that offers good close focusing (semi macro)?

Also if you can do without full macro, the Oly 12-45 Pro lens gives a 1:2 close focusing ratio (I believe) in 35mm terms. I have found that with this Oly lens you can also use the 2x Digital Tele Converter button to bring the subject into macro range. Because this Pro lens is so sharp, not much detail is lost in adding the 2x DTC. Hope these suggestions add to your consideration.

-- hide signature --

===

Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M5 III Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +6 more
Skeeterbytes Forum Pro • Posts: 20,029

Are you interested in focus stacking in camera? Might want to concentrate on lenses compatible with that feature if you do a lot of macro work.

http://learnandsupport.getolympus.com/node/1732

Good luck,

Rick

-- hide signature --

Equivalence and diffraction-free since 2009.
You can be too; ask about our 12-step program.

john isaacs Veteran Member • Posts: 6,113

cornellra wrote:

hello all

hopefully this is less contentious that some of the more active threads I have seen. I was debating about getting a Panasonic 45mm 2.8 Macro to replace my adapted Oly zuiko 50mm f2 macro. Recognizing that the O50 is recognized as a great lens, trying to figure out how to improve carrying weight and optimization of my kit. Currently have EM1.1, EM5.3 and E-PM2.

Anyone have good experiences with using the P45 2.8 on an oly body? I am sure the body does not matter all that much outside of CA/PF management but wanted to get some thoughts as i have not ever used the P45. Part of my reasoning of also going with this FL is the flexibility of some portrait work, of which for me, works the best (e.g. m43 42-50mm, or 85-100mm in 35mm terms) I have also not liked the 30, and 60mm lengths as I also want to use them as general purpose every so often and for me just does not work.

thoughts all on the PL? other than it is expensive relative to other lenses on the platform?

Here's a good comparison.

https://admiringlight.com/blog/macro-battle-olympus-60mm-f2-8-vs-leica-45mm-f2-8/

For macro, the 50mm f2 is only 1:2, but Olympus made an extension tube and two teleconverters that work on it.  And, I always thought the 50mm had truly special sharpness and contrast.

You could get the Olympus 60 f2.8 (for macro) and the Olympus 45 f1.8 (for portraits).  But the Olympus is actually a very good portrait lens.  And, it will blur the background much better than the Pansonic 45.

I used to have the 50mm, plus the extension and both teleconveters, and the SRS-11 and STF-22 flashes.  Great system, although bulky.  I kept the teleconverters for my 150mm and 300mm Zuiko lenses.

I have the 30mm and 60mm macro lenses; I like the 30mm for copy work, and the 60mm for macro work.  With the proper extension tubes and the Olympus teleconverters, you can really get some magnification from that lens.

john isaacs's gear list:john isaacs's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus E-M1 III Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus E-M5 III +16 more

Skeeterbytes wrote:

Are you interested in focus stacking in camera? Might want to concentrate on lenses compatible with that feature if you do a lot of macro work.

http://learnandsupport.getolympus.com/node/1732

Good luck,

Rick

Thanks Rick.  I did not factor that in, and will keep that in mind.   I do much of the work Post as well, so this could be interesting to do something in camera and see the results.

-- hide signature --

===

john isaacs wrote:

cornellra wrote:

hello all

hopefully this is less contentious that some of the more active threads I have seen. I was debating about getting a Panasonic 45mm 2.8 Macro to replace my adapted Oly zuiko 50mm f2 macro. Recognizing that the O50 is recognized as a great lens, trying to figure out how to improve carrying weight and optimization of my kit. Currently have EM1.1, EM5.3 and E-PM2.

Anyone have good experiences with using the P45 2.8 on an oly body? I am sure the body does not matter all that much outside of CA/PF management but wanted to get some thoughts as i have not ever used the P45. Part of my reasoning of also going with this FL is the flexibility of some portrait work, of which for me, works the best (e.g. m43 42-50mm, or 85-100mm in 35mm terms) I have also not liked the 30, and 60mm lengths as I also want to use them as general purpose every so often and for me just does not work.

thoughts all on the PL? other than it is expensive relative to other lenses on the platform?

Here's a good comparison.

https://admiringlight.com/blog/macro-battle-olympus-60mm-f2-8-vs-leica-45mm-f2-8/

For macro, the 50mm f2 is only 1:2, but Olympus made an extension tube and two teleconverters that work on it. And, I always thought the 50mm had truly special sharpness and contrast.

You could get the Olympus 60 f2.8 (for macro) and the Olympus 45 f1.8 (for portraits). But the Olympus is actually a very good portrait lens. And, it will blur the background much better than the Pansonic 45.

I used to have the 50mm, plus the extension and both teleconveters, and the SRS-11 and STF-22 flashes. Great system, although bulky. I kept the teleconverters for my 150mm and 300mm Zuiko lenses.

I have the 30mm and 60mm macro lenses; I like the 30mm for copy work, and the 60mm for macro work. With the proper extension tubes and the Olympus teleconverters, you can really get some magnification from that lens.

I have the one of the extension tubes and it can definitely do 1:1 at that point but a crazy close distance only.  I have frequently just gone with the 50 itself sans tube because of that.

I would agree the contrast has been quite different relative to any modern lens.  I would not call it POP but rather a uniqueness that I have been trying to mimic on the newer lenses without any real luck.

I will reconsider the O60 for the macro and give it a go.  I liked the O45 in the past but not enough to get one.  I know that perhaps its my technique (or rough technique) that probably pushes me away from that one but should not blame the gear for my own issues. 

-- hide signature --

===

Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 20,202
Laowa 24mm f/14 2x Macro Probe

For people who are really into macro then this is a must-have bit of gear.

The Laowa 24mm f/14 2x Macro Probe is a ‘Weird but Revolutionary’ Lens

https://petapixel.com/2018/08/01/the-laowa-24mm-f-14-2x-macro-probe-is-a-weird-but-revolutionary-lens/

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

DrHook59
DrHook59 Contributing Member • Posts: 696
Re: Laowa 24mm f/14 2x Macro Probe

May I suggest you at least look at the P30mm macro? It may be a tad shorter than your old lens, but I can say that it is a very versatile lens. I have the O60mm too and the Panasonic is far easier to use, with somewhat better results for my usage. The 30mm is small, fast-ish, light and excellent optically for the price. Hard to beat for bang for buck.

-- hide signature --

DrHook59's gear list:DrHook59's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 +3 more
jalywol
jalywol Forum Pro • Posts: 11,178

cornellra wrote:

hello all

I have had two of the PL 45mm macros over the years. It is a terrific lens, and I actually think it might be better for portraiture than it is for macro use. That being said, on my last go-round with a system switch, I ended up selling it and keeping the Oly 30mm f3.5 instead for my shorter macro work, and going almost entirely to long telephotos with extension tubes for insect and flower shooting. (The shooting distance for insects with a very long lens is less disturbing for the insects than when using a shorter lens, and you can get interesting background blurs with the longer lenses that are harder to achieve with shorter lenses closer in to the subject, so it just works better for my purposes.)

In terms of image rendering, the PL45mm is excellent. It does have a bit of vignetting wide open, which is the only optical flaw I can remember (easily corrected in PP if you need to); and sharpness, color, contrast, etc. were all terrific.

The second copy I had was a just about new one from an Ebay seller which sold for about half the new price, so you may want to go that route if you decide to get one, and save some $.

BTW, I had tried an adapted Oly 50mm f2 many moons ago, before I got the PL45mm, and I found it painfully slow, and noisy, to use. The PL 45 is a speed demon by comparison, even if it's not as fast as more recently designed M43 lenses. It's also quiet.

It really all comes down to what percentage of the time you will be using the lens for macro vs portraiture, and what kind of macro work you plan to do with it. You might be better off keeping the 50mm f2 if you don't do a ton of macro, and, as others have said, getting something like the Panasonic 42.5 f1.7 for your portrait work instead....

-J

cameron2 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,074

cornellra wrote:

hello all

I have the Pleica 45mm f2.8, and it is a wonderful lens. For macro work. I am hard-pressed to explain why I like the lens, since it seems to fail in every measurebation category, but the pictures that mine produces are almost all ridiculously better than the photographer supposedly responsible for them.

I took it on a recent trip (camping across 12 states) with the Oly EM5iii, but I did not end up using it, despite a strong desire to do so and lots of willing (both inanimate and animate) subjects.

However, with the Oly body, I'd suggest first looking at the Oly lens options, since (as someone mentioned) some Oly features may require the Oly lenses.

If you want some examples with the Pleica 45mm on the EM5iii, let me know, and I will create some 😊

cameron2's gear list:cameron2's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Hasselblad X1D
cameron2 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,074

john isaacs wrote:

You could get the Olympus 60 f2.8 (for macro) and the Olympus 45 f1.8 (for portraits). But the Olympus is actually a very good portrait lens. And, it will blur the background much better than the Pansonic 45.

The Pleica 45mm does fine with portraits, but that is probably its weakest showing. Both Panasonic (42.5mm) and Oly (45mm) make both compact (f1.7-1.8) and gigantic (f1.2) lenses for portraits, all of which are better than the Pleica.

cameron2's gear list:cameron2's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Hasselblad X1D
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads