Zoom ring

Started 3 months ago | Questions
Tontonge New Member • Posts: 8
Zoom ring

Hello,
I have a Sony SAL DT 16-50 2.8 SSM lens and am having a hardness issue when using the zoom.
After much research, it seems that this problem is due to the rubber zoom ring.
Has anyone come across this problem before ?

Is there a solution to recover the originality of rubber?

I found on the internet a reference to replace this ring:
Sony Zoom Rubber
Ref. 429932901

Do you think this accessory would be suitable and where to buy it?
Thank you for your answers.

Cordially.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Lensmate
Lensmate Veteran Member • Posts: 6,168
Re: Zoom ring

Tontonge wrote:

Hello,
I have a Sony SAL DT 16-50 2.8 SSM lens and am having a hardness issue when using the zoom.
After much research, it seems that this problem is due to the rubber zoom ring.
Has anyone come across this problem before ?

Is there a solution to recover the originality of rubber?

I found on the internet a reference to replace this ring:
Sony Zoom Rubber
Ref. 429932901

Do you think this accessory would be suitable and where to buy it?
Thank you for your answers.

Cordially.

What is the issue exactly? If it is just slippage, you can always add an adhesive to the underside of the ring.

-M

 Lensmate's gear list:Lensmate's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F717 Sony RX100 Sony RX100 VII Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony SLT-A55 +11 more
lehill
lehill Veteran Member • Posts: 6,300
Re: SAL1650 Zoom ring

Tontonge wrote:

Hello,
I have a Sony SAL DT 16-50 2.8 SSM lens and am having a hardness issue when using the zoom.
After much research, it seems that this problem is due to the rubber zoom ring.
Has anyone come across this problem before ?

Is there a solution to recover the originality of rubber?

I found on the internet a reference to replace this ring:
Sony Zoom Rubber
Ref. 429932901

Do you think this accessory would be suitable and where to buy it?
Thank you for your answers.

Cordially.

It's not clear what "hardness issue" means. Rubber can chemically degrade over time or become loose. I don't know of a way to fix this.

The SAL1650 zoom ring was always harder to turn than other lenses you may have used. We here thought this was because of the weather sealing.

In the USA, the official Sony parts distributor is Encompass. The SAL1650 rubber zoom ring replacement part number is 4-299-329-01.

-- hide signature --

Lance H

 lehill's gear list:lehill's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony a99 II Sony a7R IV Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +28 more
OP Tontonge New Member • Posts: 8
Objet : Bague de zoom

Hello Lensmate,

Thank you for your answer and the links you are communicated. By listing the goal well I find that the rubber slicks scrubs on the edge.
I pushed the rubber ring toward the focal scale so as to have a space and it gives me more stupid and I do not feel hardness. Ci-Misel a photo of the goal with Comment Competition The Ring. I think the best would be to buy a new ring but does not have the store layout of this accessory.

Thank you for your will.

Cordially.

Lensmate
Lensmate Veteran Member • Posts: 6,168
Re: Objet : Bague de zoom

Tontonge wrote:

Hello Lensmate,

Thank you for your answer and the links you are communicated. By listing the goal well I find that the rubber slicks scrubs on the edge.
I pushed the rubber ring toward the focal scale so as to have a space and it gives me more stupid and I do not feel hardness. Ci-Misel a photo of the goal with Comment Competition The Ring. I think the best would be to buy a new ring but does not have the store layout of this accessory.

Thank you for your will.

Cordially.

The ring looks fine.[if that image is of your lens] The stiffness will wear off over the course of time with usage, and become smoother. It is better to have on the stiff side, rather than on the sloppy/loose side.

A photograph of your actual lens would help sort any confusion.

-M

 Lensmate's gear list:Lensmate's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F717 Sony RX100 Sony RX100 VII Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony SLT-A55 +11 more
robberfly12 Junior Member • Posts: 35
Re: Objet : Bague de zoom

Tontonge wrote:

Hello Lensmate,

Thank you for your answer and the links you are communicated. By listing the goal well I find that the rubber slicks scrubs on the edge.
I pushed the rubber ring toward the focal scale so as to have a space and it gives me more stupid and I do not feel hardness. Ci-Misel a photo of the goal with Comment Competition The Ring. I think the best would be to buy a new ring but does not have the store layout of this accessory.

Thank you for your will.

Cordially.

I have a similar problem with the focus ring of my Tamron 150-600. The rubber has stretched slightly so that it rubs against the body of the lens and makes manual focusing difficult. I had the rubber grips replaced under warranty a few years back, but they have expanded again to cause the same problem. The only temporary fix I can think of is to cut a small strip along the edge of your zoom ring with an X-Acto knife, and then remove that strip. This could eliminate the rubbing between the rubber and the lens body, assuming the rubber will stay in place. I haven't tried this (yet) so I don't know that it would actually help. I did find an (expensive) set of replacement rubber grips for the Tamron on eBay that I will probably use instead. Good luck!

OP Tontonge New Member • Posts: 8
Objet : Bague de zoom

Hello lehill,
Thank you for your message.
I admit that the SAL 1650 lens has always been a bit hard to zoom in, but the better it gets and the problem gets worse.
I just looked on the Encompass site and found the zoom ring in question, but this item is not available for export to France.
Thanks for your help.

Hello Lensmate,
The attached photo is indeed my SAL1650 lens that I have had for several years.
As I mentioned to lehill, it gets worse and worse. I totally agree with you having a hard lens rather than a loose one, but it's quite a pain to force the zoom.
I continue my research for a possible purchase in France but not easy.
Thank you for your answers.

Lensmate
Lensmate Veteran Member • Posts: 6,168
Re: Objet : Bague de zoom

Tontonge wrote:

Hello Lensmate,
The attached photo is indeed my SAL1650 lens that I have had for several years.
As I mentioned to lehill, it gets worse and worse. I totally agree with you having a hard lens rather than a loose one, but it's quite a pain to force the zoom.
I continue my research for a possible purchase in France but not easy.
Thank you for your answers.

In case you haven't tried this already, I would suggest you zoom the lens in and out consistently for around 30 mins or longer,  to see if the action becomes smoother. If you haven't used the lens a great deal, this repeated action may help somewhat. Also check to see if there isn't any grit buildup around the ring.

Good luck.

-M

 Lensmate's gear list:Lensmate's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F717 Sony RX100 Sony RX100 VII Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony SLT-A55 +11 more
OP Tontonge New Member • Posts: 8
Objet : Bague de zoom

Hello Robberfly12, Lensmate,

Big thank you for your answers.

Robberfly12, I thought well cut a rubber band slightly but dares to do it.
While waiting for some answers for a purchase, I join a photo where I changed this famous ring. The slight spacing allows a better fluidity of the zoom. I recognize that the method is not ideal and not very aesthetic with the scotch that avoids the return to its original location.
Lensmate, I have this goal for several years and makes a lot of problems without problem.
I'll let you know for the future.

Good day.

Cordially.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads