New CAF Engine in Panasonic GH5M2 seem to work well

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
OP Interceptor121 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,884
Re: Bitter people not honest and thread cr-pping

Perhaps it makes sense to check the sirui lenses some people have very good results

Interceptor121's gear list:Interceptor121's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-GH5 II Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro +14 more
Jorginho Forum Pro • Posts: 15,308
But is this a surprise? G9 does that too.

Interceptor121 wrote:

Kids on a water slide

GH5M2 and PL1260 at 42mm CAF single area + and human detection

Burst rate M Shutter priority 1/640 ISO 800

First set the camera is almost always able to detect a face or a body

Second situation a bit more complicated

Camera seems to have missed a few prediction but all shots were in focus

I think the video AF is more of a concern. With the G9 what you saw in the EVF was distracting and looked OoF but the pics were in focus. Where G9 struggled was with less contrasty backgrounds in stills and until FW 2.4 (but even with it if you go to 24 fps) especially in video. So it would be nice to see how video AF works. But good this works fine too.

I love it when companies do something different and Pansonic doing this with what is basically CD-AF is just great. But it needs to get better still, it simply needs to be on par with nikon OSPDAF or Sony for that matter I think.

Thanks for sharing!

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +8 more
Re: But is this a surprise? G9 does that too.

Video AF has no issue I have tested it on gimbals and also on talking head check my youtube channel

Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-GH5 II Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro +14 more
glassoholic
glassoholic Veteran Member • Posts: 6,291
Re: Sequence at f1.2

Jozef M wrote:

Interceptor121 wrote:

Had to go and get the nocticron for this

I think this is great!!!
Thanks for posting, can the G9 (with the noct) do the same, you think???

Jozef.

I haven't examined any frames for pixel level sharpness, but if they are all sharp, this is actually a good performance at f1.2. Maybe other brands have had this nailed for years already, but for Pana, this would be a leap forward if they are all sharp. Was the camera depending on eye and face detect or simply CAF with an AF point over the subject?

-- hide signature --

Addicted To Glass
M43 equivalence: "Twice the fun with half the weight"
"You are a long time dead" -
Credit to whoever said that first and my wife for saying it to me... Make the best you can of every day!

Human detection which chooses face head or body depending on what’s available

SUPER-ELMAR
SUPER-ELMAR Contributing Member • Posts: 773
Re: Exif metadata and burst rate

Interceptor121 wrote:

I have looked into the exif metadata that contains the shooting time which is different from the time reported on the basic data

First shot in sequence: 18:52:21.641

Last shot in sequence: 18:52:23.731

11 frames over 2.1s ~ 5fps.  Certainly not challenging for modern AF and much lower than advertised.

SUPER-ELMAR's gear list:SUPER-ELMAR's gear list
Ricoh GR III Leica M10 Olympus OM-D E-M1X Hasselblad X1D II 50C Leica Noctilux-M 50mm f/0.95 ASPH +5 more
SUPER-ELMAR
Re: The opposite

MyDog Is Incharge wrote:

SUPER-ELMAR wrote:

MyDog Is Incharge wrote:

SUPER-ELMAR wrote:

MyDog Is Incharge wrote:

Interceptor121 wrote:

Are you so foolish that I think I waste my time manipulating a test and for what?

You should understand not everybody is not worth your trust like your wife the world is a better place

You replied to someone who meant the opposite. He was making a joke (I think) that some people will never be satisfied and that you took a short cut hand holding the camera rather than balancing it on you head,

The person complaining will never be satisfied. If you shoot 7 FPS then clearly its because all the other frames would be blurry at 14 FPS, etc. He makes negative assumptions even though the GH5 II is new and he has no experience with it. Like the A7 had cr@p focus so therefore the A1 must too. Or the RP has poor DR so the R5 must too.

Better to raise concern than accept faulty conclusion. The title of the thread is "New CAF Engine in Panasonic GH5M2 seem to work well"

It looks like it did.

When everything in focus....DOF was multiple meters deep.

You can't even get your story straight, lol!!!

Given number of people that recognized from my first post how flawed methods were, I think it is rather clear whose story is straight.

Ricoh GR III Leica M10 Olympus OM-D E-M1X Hasselblad X1D II 50C Leica Noctilux-M 50mm f/0.95 ASPH +5 more
glassoholic

Interceptor121 wrote:

Well that's encouraging then... I am pretty sure my EM1.2 and EM1X plus my Nocticron could not have done such a good job.

-- hide signature --

Addicted To Glass
Credit to whoever said that first and my wife for saying it to me... Make the best you can of every day!

SUPER-ELMAR

MyDog Is Incharge wrote:

Sadly there are a couple people deliberately making false statements to cr-p on your helpful thread.

Forgive me for expecting methods to lead to outcome.

Even though it is easy to see this is false, one bitter posted tried to tell everyone you shot "At two frame per second". He was deliberately telling falsehoods.

You are right, it was 5fps lol.  On a camera advertised at 9fps.  You see the problem here...

Hilariously, in one post he said you shot at F11, then said you need to shoot at F1.2 with the 42.5 lens. Clearly showing he doesn't understand equivalence.

First, not "he".  Second it appeared from first post DOF was so deep it looked like f/11 on FF...which you might understand is f/5.6 on Gh5too.  My estimate was rather accurate dont you think?

Anyway, it appears the GH5 II is much improved over the GH5 which was your point. Every review so far say the same. I don't know why a few are so bitter, but all they are doing is embarrassing themselves.

I guess that tells how poor original GH5 was at CAF.

SUPER-ELMAR

glassoholic wrote:

Interceptor121 wrote:

Well that's encouraging then... I am pretty sure my EM1.2 and EM1X plus my Nocticron could not have done such a good job.

It seem Nocticron is the weak link here.  Perhaps too old to keep up.

I would say the face detection of the olympus cameras is too slow I would not even try a burst as it can barely keep up a person walking according to others.

https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/olympus-vs-olympus/em1x-vs-em1-mk2-full/2/#autofocus

I found face detection poor even in static shots in parties the camera would focus on balloons not faces and with multiple faces it would make a lot of confusion and choose the closest. The panasonic algorithm allows you to move the search are and change the size which is very powerful. For people in the end you don't need 20 fps even 2 fps is good and 5-6 is excellent as long as the shots are in focus and looks like here they are

glassoholic

MyDog Is Incharge wrote:

Sadly there are a couple people deliberately making false statements to cr-p on your helpful thread.

Even though it is easy to see this is false, one bitter posted tried to tell everyone you shot "At two frame per second". He was deliberately telling falsehoods.

Hilariously, in one post he said you shot at F11, then said you need to shoot at F1.2 with the 42.5 lens. Clearly showing he doesn't understand equivalence.

Anyway, it appears the GH5 II is much improved over the GH5 which was your point. Every review so far say the same. I don't know why a few are so bitter, but all they are doing is embarrassing themselves.

Maybe on the grog and should go to bed rather and rethink after waking up?

-- hide signature --

Addicted To Glass

glassoholic

Interceptor121 wrote:

Whats the point of sharing stuff that is fake?

The whole fact someone thinks about the possibility tells you more about them than about what I did!

i have a g9 but the GH5M2 is becoming my favourite camera especially as I can take timelapses with eshutter

My credit card is getting even more nervous now thinking how good the GH6 might be...

-- hide signature --

Addicted To Glass

cameralight Regular Member • Posts: 312

SUPER-ELMAR wrote:

MyDog Is Incharge wrote:

Forgive me for expecting methods to lead to outcome.

You are right, it was 5fps lol. On a camera advertised at 9fps. You see the problem here...

First, not "he". Second it appeared from first post DOF was so deep it looked like f/11 on FF...which you might understand is f/5.6 on Gh5too. My estimate was rather accurate dont you think?

I guess that tells how poor original GH5 was at CAF.

Quite why it's worth so much of your time determinedly talking down a camera you've never used and presumably have no interest in, I've no idea.

Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 45,150
Re: New CAF Engine in Panasonic GH5M2 seem to work well

What's the Aperture you are using? It seems to me you have a lot of DOF and makes it much easier to keep focus.

I would try a telephoto at F2.8 and see how it does.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Now we are talking :-)

Sorry, missed you posted this already.  Yes, this is a much better test.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 217
Re: New CAF Engine in Panasonic GH5M2 seem to work well

Raist3d wrote:

What's the Aperture you are using? It seems to me you have a lot of DOF and makes it much easier to keep focus.

He posted some examples at F1.2...and the haters still hated. 

Yeah, sorry I missed it originally...

MyDog Is Incharge wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

Not a hater here (at least without a good reason LOL!) :-). Just looking for the truth. The F1.2 samples look legit and I appreciate him following up.

And I hear you- this is why I don't post "evidence" anymore at dpreview.  Funny thing: one would think this would be attempted to be received as good news.  I welcome skepticism, but more tweaking towards constructive.

I mean, this is the m43rds standard. It seems for some reason the majority of the time it is the Olympus owner the most insecure of the two (disclosure: Shooting EP7 Olympus, having a blast with it so far).

-- hide signature --

Panasonic has done a good job of making Contrast AF usable...

with all the head/body recognition, that has to help a lot for people. I tried briefly the S5 and it recognized outlines and heads pretty quick.

Would have been great to get a GX10 with all these AF advancements, but I sort of gave up on them doing that.

-- hide signature --

(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 217
Re: Yeah, sorry I missed it originally...

Raist3d wrote:

MyDog Is Incharge wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

Not a hater here (at least without a good reason LOL!) :-). Just looking for the truth. The F1.2 samples look legit and I appreciate him following up.

And I hear you- this is why I don't post "evidence" anymore at dpreview. Funny thing: one would think this would be attempted to be received as good news. I welcome skepticism, but more tweaking towards constructive.

I mean, this is the m43rds standard. It seems for some reason the majority of the time it is the Olympus owner the most insecure of the two (disclosure: Shooting EP7 Olympus, having a blast with it so far).

I figured you'd find them .  And I am sorry I did NOT mean to imply anything about you or your post.  You seem very reasonable and make sense in what you say.   I even agree with everything you said!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads