Kids on a water slide

GH5M2 and PL1260 at 42mm CAF single area + and human detection

Burst rate M  Shutter priority 1/640 ISO 800

First set the camera is almost always able to detect a face or a body

Second situation a bit more complicated

Camera seems to have missed a few prediction but all shots were in focus

-- hide signature --
 Interceptor121's gear list:Interceptor121's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-GH5 II Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro +14 more
SUPER-ELMAR
SUPER-ELMAR Contributing Member • Posts: 771
Re: New CAF Engine in Panasonic GH5M2 seem to work well

The entire back yard is in focus.  Shooting at f/11 is not stress AF.  Shoot wide open with your 42.5 at f/1.2 and see how it perform.

SUPER-ELMAR's gear list:SUPER-ELMAR's gear list
Ricoh GR III Leica M10 Olympus OM-D E-M1X Hasselblad X1D II 50C Leica Noctilux-M 50mm f/0.95 ASPH +5 more
OP Interceptor121 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,844

It is f/5.6 not f/11 and the backyard is not all in focus obviously

the camera focusses with the lens wide open anyway lol in this case f/3.9

Depth of field of the closer shots is 1.89 meters far away shots 5 meters what matters is the red dot

Majority of tele lenses are 2.8/4 at best and if I would be shooting a burst at f1/2. that would be idiotic

-- hide signature --
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-GH5 II Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro +14 more
SUPER-ELMAR

At that distance DOF is 3m.  Hardly challenging.  Show long focal length with wide open aperture and get closer.  That will easily overwhelm GH.

Ricoh GR III Leica M10 Olympus OM-D E-M1X Hasselblad X1D II 50C Leica Noctilux-M 50mm f/0.95 ASPH +5 more

SUPER-ELMAR wrote:

At that distance DOF is 3m. Hardly challenging. Show long focal length with wide open aperture and get closer. That will easily overwhelm GH.

First you made an incorrect statement about f/11

Now you make another incorrect statement as the camera focus point is moving with the red dot so depth of field changes.

While in the far away shot it can go as far as 5-6 meters in the near shots where the distance is less than 4 meters the depth of field is one and half meter

And lastly you don't know anything about the camera but you think you can predict what it does

I think this is enough in the ignore list from now on

-- hide signature --
SUPER-ELMAR

Interceptor121 wrote:

SUPER-ELMAR wrote:

At that distance DOF is 3m. Hardly challenging. Show long focal length with wide open aperture and get closer. That will easily overwhelm GH.

Speaking in FF equivalent.  f/5.6 is no challenge at that FL.  Try 400mm f/5.6 and see GH fumble.

Now you make another incorrect statement as the camera focus point is moving with the red dot so depth of field changes.

Changes, a little.  The DOF so deep it matters little.

While in the far away shot it can go as far as 5-6 meters in the near shots where the distance is less than 4 meters the depth of field is one and half meter

No.  At 4m, DOF is 3.3m at that FL.  Everything in focus.

And lastly you don't know anything about the camera but you think you can predict what it does

Ignoring the truth will not prevent you from reaching false conclusion.  If you want to test how well CAF engine work, do something that requires it to work.

SUPER-ELMAR wrote:

Interceptor121 wrote:

SUPER-ELMAR wrote:

Speaking in FF equivalent. f/5.6 is no challenge at that FL. Try 400mm f/5.6 and see GH fumble.

Changes, a little. The DOF so deep it matters little.

No. At 4m, DOF is 3.3m at that FL. Everything in focus.

Ignoring the truth will not prevent you from reaching false conclusion. If you want to test how well CAF engine work, do something that requires it to work.

Depth of field at 4 meters 42mm 5.6 is 1.58 meters

at 7 meters it was 5.28

f/1.2 at 4 meters would only have 30 cm DOF

You are making confusion between the focal length and crop factor and the aperture so if you were using f/11 you would need to use 84mm not 42mm. Basic errors create misconceptions

-- hide signature --
Sequence at f1.2

Had to go and get the nocticron for this

SUPER-ELMAR

Interceptor121 wrote:

SUPER-ELMAR wrote:

Interceptor121 wrote:

SUPER-ELMAR wrote:

Speaking in FF equivalent. f/5.6 is no challenge at that FL. Try 400mm f/5.6 and see GH fumble.

Changes, a little. The DOF so deep it matters little.

No. At 4m, DOF is 3.3m at that FL. Everything in focus.

Ignoring the truth will not prevent you from reaching false conclusion. If you want to test how well CAF engine work, do something that requires it to work.

Depth of field at 4 meters 42mm 5.6 is 1.58 meters

at 7 meters it was 5.28

My 3.3m estimate was correct. Between 1.6 and 5.3. Which means everything in focus.

f/1.2 at 4 meters would only have 30 cm DOF and only an idiot would shoot a burst of anything moving in those conditions.

Idiots shoot sports? Interesting. Why are you afraid to try? Many cameras do this with success. If "new CAF engine works well" as you suggest then show it.

You are making confusion between the focal length and crop factor and the aperture so if you were using f/11 you would need to use 84mm not 42mm. Basic errors create misconceptions

84mm f/11 and 42mm f/5.6 are same AOV on FF and M43.

If you want to test how well CAF engine work, do something that requires it to work.  This appears to be a fluff piece to promote favorite brand.

SUPER-ELMAR
Re: Sequence at f1.2

At two frame per second I suppose anything is easy.  Easy to throw out all the blurry frames in between huh?

tehdehzeh Forum Member • Posts: 57

Wait until he admits he hand-held for this, rather than balance the camera on his head.

Only taking short cuts, this guy.

tehdehzeh's gear list:tehdehzeh's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony a7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +8 more

It is set to medium release balance i don’t set it to high as there is nothing useful with more shots for face detection

i do not throw any frames away maybe that is something you do?

It should do 7 fps but I think with face / body recognition it can’t manage probably with single area it can. Seems to be hovering between 4 and 6 fps

next you are going to come with some other crap I am sure

-- hide signature --
buratino
buratino Contributing Member • Posts: 829

tehdehzeh wrote:

Wait until he admits he hand-held for this, rather than balance the camera on his head.

Only taking short cuts, this guy.

I liked this comment just in case :^)

buratino's gear list:buratino's gear list
Sony Alpha a99 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic GX850 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +8 more
Jozef M Senior Member • Posts: 2,023

Interceptor121 wrote:

Had to go and get the nocticron for this

I think this is great!!!
Thanks for posting, can the G9 (with the noct) do the same, you think???

Jozef.

Jozef M's gear list:Jozef M's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Canon EOS 30D Panasonic Lumix DC-G9

Are you so foolish that I think I waste my time manipulating a test and for what?

You should understand not everybody is not worth your trust like your wife the world is a better place

I do not know I actually have it but never bothered testing I can have a look tomorrow if the girls are playing

I did a test for birds and seemed to work well

My interest is subject detection because it allows me to frame the shot instead of having the subject always in the same place where the AF points are. That makes each picture look cheap and amateurish.

If the camera can recognise something around the edges and the subject is in focus this is great.

Looks like it is doing at best 6 fps instead of the declared 7 perhaps because I am set to balance and not release

Interceptor121 wrote:

I do not know I actually have it but never bothered testing I can have a look tomorrow if the girls are playing

I did a test for birds and seemed to work well

My interest is subject detection because it allows me to frame the shot instead of having the subject always in the same place where the AF points are. That makes each picture look cheap and amateurish.

If the camera can recognise something around the edges and the subject is in focus this is great.

Looks like it is doing at best 6 fps instead of the declared 7 perhaps because I am set to balance and not release

Ok, thank you.

I'm not at all an expert on caf with the G9, it did work ok-ish with fw 2.0, I haven't tried it with fw 2.4 ... I don't have the nocticron either, but if you can manage that it works like the GH5 II , it is a major improvement for the G9, I think.

Jozef.

You would not take this kind of shots with the nocticron that was just to make the point

Normally you would take this at f/2.8-f/4.0 it is a bright day and subject separation is not important in a shot like this, the opposite

Interceptor121 wrote:

You would not take this kind of shots with the nocticron that was just to make the point

Normally you would take this at f/2.8-f/4.0 it is a bright day and subject separation is not important in a shot like this, the opposite

You cannot decide for someone else what is 'normal', or when someone likes to separate their subject from the background or not.
The nocticron at f/1.2 is a good way to prove whether the individual shots are sharp with the subject in focus. It is about the test, not what you think someone would do 'normally'.

If you are testing anyway, you can see if the G9 can do it too with the latest firmware, that would be nice.

Jozef.

Nobody gets a Nocticron to shoot burst of a subject in motion at best you take a burst if a model flicking their hair a scene for most static

it is a portrait lens for subjects that are almost static and the AF is not the fastest in class

a tele lens that you would use for burst would be f2.8 the shots I took are just academic not representative of the normal use of this lens

And hence am not going to go and get the g9 to make the point it is silly

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads