Possible to adapt M42 for Olympus OM-1 (film)?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Albert Silver Veteran Member • Posts: 3,373
Possible to adapt M42 for Olympus OM-1 (film)?

I am looking into a variety of affordable film SLRs, and the Olympus came under my radar but I cannot seem to ascertain if one can adapt lenses from other mounts to it.

Right now my alternate is something like the Canon AE-1 (I did find adapters), though I am open to suggestions.

Albert Silver's gear list:Albert Silver's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD +1 more
RvL001 Forum Member • Posts: 62
Re: Possible to adapt M42 for Olympus OM-1 (film)?

Albert Silver wrote:

I am looking into a variety of affordable film SLRs, and the Olympus came under my radar but I cannot seem to ascertain if one can adapt lenses from other mounts to it.

Right now my alternate is something like the Canon AE-1 (I did find adapters), though I am open to suggestions.

To be able to adapt a lens from a different mount on a camera (without the adapter having optical elements) , the flange distance of the mount of the lens should be bigger than the flange distance of the mount of the camera.

The difference in flange distance between M42 (45.46mm) and OM (46mm) is very minimal but M42 is smaller. So adapting it will require optical elements. I don't know if there will be adapters available for that. A fast search didn't give any results.

For this same reason you couldn't use Canon FD mount lenses on EF mount camera. FD has a flange distance of 42mm, EF 44mm

The Canon AE-1 has an FD mount so the M42 flange distance is 3.46mm bigger. Adapting should be possible but you need to make sure the adapter enables you to focus to infinity. Not all adapters I found can, according to the specs.

Lightshow
Lightshow Veteran Member • Posts: 7,618

Albert Silver wrote:

The links below list camera/lens mounts and their distance from the film plane to the mount flange (mount registration) and the throat diameter.

https://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~westin/misc/mounts-by-register.html

The same data, but from the creator's site: https://stephen-westin.com/misc/mounts-by-register.html

And another list: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flange_focal_distance

Take the lens mount register distance and subtract the cameras mount register distance...

A negative number means the lens can't be mounted without loss of infinity or modifications to one or both mounts(eg. Mount conversion), or you will require corrective optics in the adapter.

If you have a positive number a simple adapter should be possible if there is enough distance between the two to permit some sort of adapter, plus, the lens mount diameter will also fit within the camera mount diameter (Z39[Zenit] will fit within M42, LTM will fit within M mount, but M mount can not fit within Samsung NX mount), so if the diameter of the lens mount can't fit within the camera mount then the register distance must be big enough to have enough clearance and still have infinity focus possible.

So in general, if you can't find an adapter, it may mean it's not possible to use that combination, that's when I will investigate their registration distances and if there is a possible issue that may explain why there is no adapter, it could also be because the mount is not common like Pentimatic (an adapter was recently made available) or that combination is uncommon like Nikon F to Konica AR.

M42: Registration = 45.46mm, Diameter = 42mm

OM: Registration= 46mm Diameter = 46mm

The camera register is greater than the lenses register by 0.64mm, the diameters seem fine.

Hope that helps you out

-- hide signature --

A Manual Focus Junky...
One photographers junk lens is an artists favorite tool.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lightshow-photography/
[My Lens list](http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/viewprofile.php?Action=viewprofile&username=LightShow)
####Where's my FF NEX-7 ?????
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/447/31518420576_7916966b11_b.jpg
https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1962/31024497798_85526ac8ca_b.jpg
Firmware request:
-A button map for toggling the EVF & LCD
-Still waiting for the minimum shutter speed with auto ISO for my NEX-7 and A7r. I know it will never happen.
-Customize the display screen layout, I'd love to have both Histogram and level at the same time.
-More peaking options, being able to set peaking sensitivity and a threshold level.
-An RGB overlay on the histogram https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/602/20236258313_c604dd9522_n.jpg
-An option to return the focus assist zoom to one button press
-An option to return to how the NEX-7 handled playback, ie. center button to zoom, then you could use the control dial to zoom in and out, then center button to exit the zoom mode.

Lightshow's gear list:Lightshow's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a7R Leica Elmarit-M 24mm f/2.8 ASPH Leica APO-Summicron-M 90mm f/2 ASPH Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar +20 more
ProfHankD
ProfHankD Veteran Member • Posts: 8,091

Albert Silver wrote:

Well, it's interesting. I just took my Mamiya/Sekor 55mm f/1.4 up against my OM adapter, and shot this (highly cropped) image of the Moon:

That's not perfect, but it's pretty good for a hand-held 150x150 pixel crop from a 42MP FF body using the lens at f/1.4. I think it's close enough to infinity for normal terrestrial shooting. This particular adapter doesn't seem to be short either, as the best image of the Moon using it with my OM lenses is at hard-stop infinity.

The key thing to remember is that the flange, which is what distance is usually quoted from, is NOT actually the calibrated reference distance for many mounts -- it's more often a surface of a bayonet wing or where a screw thread is supposed to stop. In fact, M42 lenses aren't really supposed to stop flush with the flange. In any case, this suggests to me that it is technically feasible to use M42 lenses on OM mount and get "close enough" to infinity.

However, with what adapter? Well, good luck! The adapter would have to put a screw thread entirely inside the OM mount, and although there is a little space to theoretically do it in, the OM mount has the lock on the lens side rather than the body side... and I don't see any way to fit a locking mechanism in there. It's probably just barely possible to 3D print a non-locking M42 adapter that would work.... The worst adapter design problem like this that I've personally solved was to put Minolta SR/MC/MD lenses on Canon FL/FD/FDn bodies: M42 to OM would be slightly more challenging than that.

Canon EF, Minolta AF (aka, Sony A), and Pentax K bodies can all use M42 lenses -- as can the earlier manual-focus mounts from those companies: Canon FL/FD/FDn, Minolta SR/MC/MD, and of course Pentax M42 (among others). Honestly, you are better off using a manual film camera with M42 lenses because they have viewfinder screens designed to facilitate precise manual focus -- autofocus bodies don't.

The AE-1 is certainly a viable M42 film platform, but, honestly, an old Pentax Spotmatic takes M42 natively and feels a lot more "refined" than an AE-1. Given that a Spotmatic often can be found for around $25... it's a real alternative to buying an M42 adapter for your AE-1. 

ProfHankD's gear list:ProfHankD's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX530 Olympus TG-860 Sony a7R II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Sony a6500 +30 more
scrup Contributing Member • Posts: 522

Albert Silver wrote:

I am looking into a variety of affordable film SLRs,

Through years of collecting lenses, affordable SLRs would be m42 and SR mount, then K mount.

and the Olympus came under my radar but I cannot seem to ascertain if one can adapt lenses from other mounts to it.

Here is a custom adapter, it adds 8mm making it a macro.

Custom Olympus OM System Macro Camera to Pentax M42 Screw Mount Lens Adapter

Olympus film bodies are sought after as well as the AE-1 so you will be paying a little more.

scrup's gear list:scrup's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS M6 Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +2 more
OP Albert Silver Veteran Member • Posts: 3,373

ProfHankD wrote:

Albert Silver wrote:

Well, it's interesting. I just took my Mamiya/Sekor 55mm f/1.4 up against my OM adapter, and shot this (highly cropped) image of the Moon:

That's not perfect, but it's pretty good for a hand-held 150x150 pixel crop from a 42MP FF body using the lens at f/1.4. I think it's close enough to infinity for normal terrestrial shooting. This particular adapter doesn't seem to be short either, as the best image of the Moon using it with my OM lenses is at hard-stop infinity.

The key thing to remember is that the flange, which is what distance is usually quoted from, is NOT actually the calibrated reference distance for many mounts -- it's more often a surface of a bayonet wing or where a screw thread is supposed to stop. In fact, M42 lenses aren't really supposed to stop flush with the flange. In any case, this suggests to me that it is technically feasible to use M42 lenses on OM mount and get "close enough" to infinity.

However, with what adapter? Well, good luck! The adapter would have to put a screw thread entirely inside the OM mount, and although there is a little space to theoretically do it in, the OM mount has the lock on the lens side rather than the body side... and I don't see any way to fit a locking mechanism in there. It's probably just barely possible to 3D print a non-locking M42 adapter that would work.... The worst adapter design problem like this that I've personally solved was to put Minolta SR/MC/MD lenses on Canon FL/FD/FDn bodies: M42 to OM would be slightly more challenging than that.

Canon EF, Minolta AF (aka, Sony A), and Pentax K bodies can all use M42 lenses -- as can the earlier manual-focus mounts from those companies: Canon FL/FD/FDn, Minolta SR/MC/MD, and of course Pentax M42 (among others). Honestly, you are better off using a manual film camera with M42 lenses because they have viewfinder screens designed to facilitate precise manual focus -- autofocus bodies don't.

The AE-1 is certainly a viable M42 film platform, but, honestly, an old Pentax Spotmatic takes M42 natively and feels a lot more "refined" than an AE-1. Given that a Spotmatic often can be found for around $25... it's a real alternative to buying an M42 adapter for your AE-1.

Well, not mine yet. Heh. It was on my list, but now I am strongly considering something like the Minolta X-370 or 570, which I can find for $50-ish in good shape.

https://www.imagingpixel.com/p/minolta-x-300.html

The AE-1 is not so fortunate.

It also seems to check all the boxes without being overly pricey. None will be as cheap as they might be since I need to have them delivered to Brazil, which entails international shipping. So add $30-40 depending on who is doing the shipping. As such, I am willing to spring for an extra $20-25 since the shipping will need to be swallowed regardless. I do want to keep this modest.

Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD +1 more

scrup wrote:

Albert Silver wrote:

I am looking into a variety of affordable film SLRs,

Through years of collecting lenses, affordable SLRs would be m42 and SR mount, then K mount.

and the Olympus came under my radar but I cannot seem to ascertain if one can adapt lenses from other mounts to it.

Here is a custom adapter, it adds 8mm making it a macro.

Custom Olympus OM System Macro Camera to Pentax M42 Screw Mount Lens Adapter

Right, but I had had in mind the reverse: M42 to Olympus OM.

Olympus film bodies are sought after as well as the AE-1 so you will be paying a little more.

Yes, I am now leaning more towards Minolta in fact. Something like the X-370 or X-570. There are models in good shape for decent prices.

Heritage Cameras
Heritage Cameras Senior Member • Posts: 1,910

Albert Silver wrote:

Well, not mine yet. Heh. It was on my list, but now I am strongly considering something like the Minolta X-370 or 570, which I can find for $50-ish in good shape.

If you can really find a Minolta X-570 (sold in some countries as the X-500) for that price, it's a bargain. These cameras are easily adapted for M42 lenses too.

-- hide signature --

Dave, HCL

Heritage Cameras's gear list:Heritage Cameras's gear list
Sony a7
ProfHankD
Auto stop down matters

Heritage Cameras wrote:

Albert Silver wrote:

If you can really find a Minolta X-570 (sold in some countries as the X-500) for that price, it's a bargain.

Honestly, the XG models are pretty nice too, and they're available more commonly and cheaper. I used to shoot primarily with an SRT101 and XK back when I did commercial photography, and both those are real workhorses, but the SRTs are a bit clunky -- not quite as clunky as the Canon FT models, but still. The XK is a monster, but it just oozes quality. The other X models (XG series, X series) are notably lighter and smaller than the SRTs, kind of Olympus-ish, and feel a bit less clunky -- they pair really well with the 49mm-filter-size MD lenses, which are also pretty civilized, but a little plasticy.

Still, if you're going to be shooting film with M42 glass, it feels like it should be with a Spotmatic. Unfortunately, they're less featureful than the Minoltas, and even auto exposure requires one of the ES bodies, but THE AUTO STOP DOWN FEATURE ON THE M42 LENSES WILL WORK -- it will not when adapted to other mounts. For cameras with an EVF, view brightness isn't an issue, but for SLRs it can be really nice to have auto aperture work such that the lens stays wide open for focusing and setting exposure and then automatically closes to to the set aperture for the shot.

These cameras are easily adapted for M42 lenses too.

Yes, M42 adapters for Minolta MD are surprisingly common, new for under $10.

Canon PowerShot SX530 Olympus TG-860 Sony a7R II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Sony a6500 +30 more
Heritage Cameras
Heritage Cameras Senior Member • Posts: 1,910
Re: Auto stop down matters

ProfHankD wrote:

Still, if you're going to be shooting film with M42 glass, it feels like it should be with a Spotmatic. Unfortunately, they're less featureful than the Minoltas, and even auto exposure requires one of the ES bodies, but THE AUTO STOP DOWN FEATURE ON THE M42 LENSES WILL WORK -- it will not when adapted to other mounts. For cameras with an EVF, view brightness isn't an issue, but for SLRs it can be really nice to have auto aperture work such that the lens stays wide open for focusing and setting exposure and then automatically closes to to the set aperture for the shot.

I completely agree that auto stop-down is an advantage, and actually there are a few options that can provide it with adapted M42 lenses.

The Rolleiflex SL35. was pretty much a German Spotmatic (though later made in Singapore), but with a bayonet lens mount. The M42 adapter featured a hinged plate to retain the auto diaphragm, and as the original camera model used stopped-down metering its operation was exactly the same as with the original bayonet lenses. Later models from the SL350 onwards were capable of full aperture metering, but not with the adapter.

Mamiya offered various auto M42 adapters for its Auto XTL, NC1000 and Z-series SLRs with similar features to the Rollei one.

When Fujica dropped the (enhanced) M42 lens mount used on its ST and AZ camera for a new bayonet on the AX and STX models, it sold two different adapters for older lenses. The common X-S type worked like the ones above, with auto diaphragm and stopped-down metering. This worked well with the STX-1N and later manual models, as the LEDs were easier to see than a needle in low light with the lens stopped down.

The much rarer and more collectable X-D adapter offered enhanced operation on the AX-5 camera (only), including full aperture metering in shutter priority or program modes, with full LED viewfinder information. This worked with most M42 lenses (not just the Fujinons), as a scale on the adapter could be set to the maximum aperture.

I'm sure there are others, too (wasn't there was an Alpa one?).

-- hide signature --

Dave, HCL

Heritage Cameras's gear list:Heritage Cameras's gear list
Sony a7
ProfHankD
Re: Auto stop down matters

Heritage Cameras wrote:

ProfHankD wrote:

I completely agree that auto stop-down is an advantage, and actually there are a few options that can provide it with adapted M42 lenses.

The Rolleiflex SL35. was pretty much a German Spotmatic (though later made in Singapore), but with a bayonet lens mount. The M42 adapter featured a hinged plate to retain the auto diaphragm, and as the original camera model used stopped-down metering its operation was exactly the same as with the original bayonet lenses. Later models from the SL350 onwards were capable of full aperture metering, but not with the adapter.

Mamiya offered various auto M42 adapters for its Auto XTL, NC1000 and Z-series SLRs with similar features to the Rollei one.

When Fujica dropped the (enhanced) M42 lens mount used on its ST and AZ camera for a new bayonet on the AX and STX models, it sold two different adapters for older lenses. The common X-S type worked like the ones above, with auto diaphragm and stopped-down metering. This worked well with the STX-1N and later manual models, as the LEDs were easier to see than a needle in low light with the lens stopped down.

The much rarer and more collectable X-D adapter offered enhanced operation on the AX-5 camera (only), including full aperture metering in shutter priority or program modes, with full LED viewfinder information. This worked with most M42 lenses (not just the Fujinons), as a scale on the adapter could be set to the maximum aperture.

I'm sure there are others, too (wasn't there was an Alpa one?).

Well, of course. Praktica, for example... and Hanimex Prakticas often sell very cheap. The catch is, they feel like cheap cameras and many models lack even through-the-lens metering. 

For a cheap M42 workhorse, a Mamiya/Sekor 1000 DTL would be a fine choice... but I'd still pick a Spotmatic over it. I really think the feel of the old Pentax bodies is something a current film usre will appreciate -- it's more different in handling from modern digitals that many other old SLRs.

When the cheap are not, and the expensive are not

ProfHankD wrote:

Heritage Cameras wrote:

Albert Silver wrote:

If you can really find a Minolta X-570 (sold in some countries as the X-500) for that price, it's a bargain.

Honestly, the XG models are pretty nice too, and they're available more commonly and cheaper. I used to shoot primarily with an SRT101 and XK back when I did commercial photography, and both those are real workhorses, but the SRTs are a bit clunky -- not quite as clunky as the Canon FT models, but still. The XK is a monster, but it just oozes quality. The other X models (XG series, X series) are notably lighter and smaller than the SRTs, kind of Olympus-ish, and feel a bit less clunky -- they pair really well with the 49mm-filter-size MD lenses, which are also pretty civilized, but a little plasticy.

I am not glued to the M42 mount concept, but want something that can use them as well. The Olympus is out for this reason. Even if possible, there are no readily available models. The case for others becomes complex as I need to balance the overall price with international shipping to Brazil. The shipping is a complicated factor. For one thing, many announce they don't, and if they do, not to Brazil. But a message to the seller always resolves this. The problem is the cost of shipping, and no, it doesn't matter much where. Shipping rates charged, none FedEx, range from $20 to $80. Yes, really.

The pure prices of the so-called cheap cameras such as the Spotmatic, the K1000 entry-level camera, and many others, is actually not always pleasant shopping. You will find dirt cheap ones, but then the description tells the tale: "shutter is stuck", "mirror sticks", "Deadly fungus infestation - does not affect photos", and so on. Even the cheap Mamiyas with a 1/1000 shutter speed are like that, and a half decent working one is suddenly a $100+ purchase. That is when the seller even knows if it works. Plunking down money and time (it will take 4-6 weeks) for a potentially pretty paperweight is not an attractive proposition.

The cheapest working Spotmatic is actually $70 (with shipping). The K1000? Not less than $115. That is where the Minoltas suddenly appear as boons to those seeking a cheaper dip into the pool before committing to a leap from the diving board. The X-370, the X-570, the XG-M even, and others. And now as I looked, a Canon AE-1 that is supposedly working fine and looks bloody new in pics, came up for $80 (shipping included). Suddenly I am looking at it as an alternative. Suggestions?

ProfHankD
Re: When the cheap are not, and the expensive are not

Albert Silver wrote:

ProfHankD wrote:

Heritage Cameras wrote:

Albert Silver wrote:

I am not glued to the M42 mount concept, but want something that can use them as well. The Olympus is out for this reason. Even if possible, there are no readily available models. The case for others becomes complex as I need to balance the overall price with international shipping to Brazil. The shipping is a complicated factor. For one thing, many announce they don't, and if they do, not to Brazil. But a message to the seller always resolves this. The problem is the cost of shipping, and no, it doesn't matter much where. Shipping rates charged, none FedEx, range from $20 to $80. Yes, really.

The pure prices of the so-called cheap cameras such as the Spotmatic, the K1000 entry-level camera, and many others, is actually not always pleasant shopping. You will find dirt cheap ones, but then the description tells the tale: "shutter is stuck", "mirror sticks", "Deadly fungus infestation - does not affect photos", and so on. Even the cheap Mamiyas with a 1/1000 shutter speed are like that, and a half decent working one is suddenly a $100+ purchase. That is when the seller even knows if it works. Plunking down money and time (it will take 4-6 weeks) for a potentially pretty paperweight is not an attractive proposition.

The cheapest working Spotmatic is actually $70 (with shipping). The K1000? Not less than $115. That is where the Minoltas suddenly appear as boons to those seeking a cheaper dip into the pool before committing to a leap from the diving board. The X-370, the X-570, the XG-M even, and others. And now as I looked, a Canon AE-1 that is supposedly working fine and looks bloody new in pics, came up for $80 (shipping included). Suddenly I am looking at it as an alternative. Suggestions?

Understood. In that case, you might want to buy from an actual store that sells used camera equipment -- such as KEH. It's a little pricier, but a lot surer.

You  also might want to get more than one thing at once, because I'd bet shipping is almost constant with modest changes in package contents....

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads