Can Lens Sharpness Issues be the Body

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Glenn Barber Veteran Member • Posts: 3,477
Can Lens Sharpness Issues be the Body

A few weeks ago I realized I was getting bored with just shooting long and decided I would look into getting a superwide zoom. I wanted something light that I could toss on a spare A7II body and wasn't ready to drop a lot of money on a very expensive 12-24GM or even $1700 on a 12-24 G.

I sometimes pick up equipment in the Fred Miranda Buy and Sell forum and found a seller with a good reputation who had a LNIB well centered and sharp 12-24 G for a good price. He was moving to a 16-35GM.

I decided to risk it and bought the lens. When it arrived I took it out for tests. We have multi story stucco walls near my office which are great for testing sharpness. After a run of tests I found that the lens was very sharp across the field from 12-20 - but that the corners started to soften from 20-24 but the upper right corner was smeared mush by 24 and didnt clean up well when stopping down...

I made myself feel better about it because I bought the lens for the wide side anyway and had a pretty good 24mm on my 24-105 and I had a 24 GM coming.

The prior week I opened an Amazon Business Account and was offered a $200 bonus for getting the Amazon Amx to go with it. The 24 GM was on sale so I took the plunge.

When the 24 GM arrived it noticed that the lens was delivered in a paper bag (rather than a Box - which I thought odd. I opened the lens box and then the black lens case and found only a lens hood in its plastic wrap (no lens). I called amazon business support got the box sent back to them and had them ship a replacement.

So yesterday I receive the replacement - this time properly boxed with an actual lens and I start testing the lens out on the same shots I did with the 12-24. As expected it was really sharp EXCEPT for a smeared upper corner... Hmmmmm,. I

So I decide to grab the Sony A7II and reshoot - and the GM lens is sharp corner to corner.

I wonder what's going on here.

The week before when I was getting setup for a marsh shoot my A7R4 and 100-400 popped out of the quick release strap and dropped about 2-3 feet to the crushed stone in the parking lot. The lens had a rubber hood which absorbed some of the shock - but I bent and cracked the front filter. The camera landed on its heel which was well protected with an RRS base. There were no visible marks on camera or lens and it seemed to be working fine and I forgot about it.

So - could that drop cause the A7R4 to have a smeared corner?? - Pro Support thinks it might - so now its off to them for testing.

Anyone else have something like this happen and how did it get corrected?

Glenn Barber's gear list:Glenn Barber's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony a7R IV Sony a6600 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +12 more
BlueJakester
BlueJakester Veteran Member • Posts: 3,409
Re: Can Lens Sharpness Issues be the Body

I can’t offer an informed opinion Glenn, but my guess is the drop caused the issue. Maybe the IBIS / sensor? Alignment or function?

I hope you can get it resolved.

Jake

BlueJakester's gear list:BlueJakester's gear list
Nikon D7100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-H1 Sony a7R IV Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +4 more
OP Glenn Barber Veteran Member • Posts: 3,477
Sony says Yes it can and did with my camera

I heard back from Sony Support today, and they have confirmed that the corner sharpness issue was caused by my Mecha Device being deformed. The Mecha device is the assembly which includes the Sensor, Shutter, Image Stabilizer, etc.

This bad news is that this assembly has to be replaced as a unit for $775 - ugh

The good news is that my Sony Pro Support Membership saved me almost $150 and paid for itself.

Even better is that my B&H SquareTrades/AllState Drops and Spills Warranty covered the rest with no BS - yay!

Sony a6500 Sony a7R IV Sony a6600 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +12 more
BlueJakester
Re: Sony says Yes it can and did with my camera

Great news about the insurance!

Time to rethink your straps and lanyards?

Cheers,

Jake

OP Glenn Barber Veteran Member • Posts: 3,477

BlueJakester wrote:

Great news about the insurance!

Time to rethink your straps and lanyards?

Cheers,

Jake

Yes - Lesson Learned.

I had the camera and lens in a quick release setup which was attached to the lens foot. However the problem was not the QR connection but the sort of clampy connection from the strap to the QR ring. That pinches open but requires quite a press to open up. Apparently the pinch mechanism got wrapped by the strap and opened.

I've since wired this sucker up. And may add an auxiliary keeper strap. Usually I have the strap setup so that it carries the entire weight of the rig but I can hold on to the body at my side at arms length. So normally I am always holding the camera. However I was getting rigged up when this happened.

Still it is quite odd that I went a whole day shooting with the 100-400 without noticing the corner issue in the shots, and it really only showed up when testing a 12-24 at 24

BlueJakester

I have a sling that’s attached to either the tripod mount of the body or lens (when available) AND I have a lanyard from the body around my wrist. I don’t carry the camera by the lanyard but it’s there as insurance in case I lose my grip

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads