Going on vacation with my RX100M7

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
oRBIT2002 New Member • Posts: 13
Going on vacation with my RX100M7

I'm going on vacation soon with my RX100M7 and planning to take lots of photos. Would be interesting to hear if you guys have configured any special settings that you can't live without to somewhat improve your photos?

I'd mostly shoot day scenary (including my high-energy kids from time to time).

I'm shooting in 16x9 JPG (Fine) + RAW. Have configured so GPS coordinates are picked from my iPhone (learned that recently, it's awesome!). 
I'm also shooting in 4K video, 30fps, 60megabit. That looks awesome (but I miss a feature to take a photo at the same time, haven't found it anyway).

Rodrigo Pasiani Regular Member • Posts: 329
Re: Going on vacation with my RX100M7

I wouldn't choose 16x9 since it crops part of the field of view.

-- hide signature --

Gear list: eyes, brain, hands and a couple of cameras.
Instagram: @rodrigo_pasiani
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rodrigo_pc/albums/72157697391983321

JohnNewman
JohnNewman Contributing Member • Posts: 919

Rodrigo Pasiani wrote:

I wouldn't choose 16x9 since it crops part of the field of view.

Only the JPEG’s. The Raw will look as if it’s cropped but when opened in a suitable editor you will be able to “uncrop” it and revert to the full image.

Regards,

John

JohnNewman's gear list:JohnNewman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V Nikon Z fc Nikon Z 16-50mm F3.5-6.3 VR Nikon Z 50-250mm F4.5-6.3 VR
Nigel Clifford Senior Member • Posts: 1,002

Set up and experiment with some frequently used profiles in MR (memory recall), you can even get the camera to automatically re-zoom to preferred focal lengths. MR can be a reel asset and time saver. 
Shoot jpeg and raw as raw can be a a lifesaver if you get settings wrong.

Fit a filter thread and get a decent polerisor.

And finally get plenty of Sony spare batteries and SD cards.

Nigel

Nigel Clifford's gear list:Nigel Clifford's gear list
Panasonic FZ2500 Sony RX100 V Sony RX100 VII Sony a7R III Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +6 more
Val Bueno
Val Bueno Senior Member • Posts: 2,444
I set up one of my back buttns for WB

When travelling between bright sunlight outdoors to indoor lighting, I access my WB quickly to change the WB to the correct one.  Otherwise, I keep it on P mode when walking around with others.

When shooting more seriously, I can set up my RX100VI on my tripod and quickly run through the WB to take different colored shots of the same scene.

Then I chose the one I like and process that one further.

Aloha,

Val

Val Bueno's gear list:Val Bueno's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony RX100 VI Adobe Photoshop CS6 ACDSee Pro 5 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5
ChristianHass Veteran Member • Posts: 3,209

One thing I've really come to enjoy is that the MR setting remembers the focal range.

So if you set it to 50mm and turn off the camera, it'll go to 50mm next time you turn it on. It doesn't do that in any of the other modes, only in MR.
I just find that super useful as it'll let me default to a "normal" focal length instead of having to zoom in every time I turn the camera on again.

-- hide signature --
 ChristianHass's gear list:ChristianHass's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX100 VI Fujifilm XF10 Sony a7R II
rodeknyt Regular Member • Posts: 381

oRBIT2002 wrote:

I'm also shooting in 4K video, 30fps, 60megabit. That looks awesome (but I miss a feature to take a photo at the same time, haven't found it anyway).

As far as I know, if you use the red video button on the back of the camera to start/stop video shooting, you can press the shutter button on top to grab a still shot during video shooting.

I've done that when shooting video. I know I was shooting 1080 resolution, so that may not work when set to 4K.

rodeknyt's gear list:rodeknyt's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Sony RX100 VII +2 more
OP oRBIT2002 New Member • Posts: 13

rodeknyt wrote:

oRBIT2002 wrote:

As far as I know, if you use the red video button on the back of the camera to start/stop video shooting, you can press the shutter button on top to grab a still shot during video shooting.

I've done that when shooting video. I know I was shooting 1080 resolution, so that may not work when set to 4K.

I've never got this working no matter which resolution/framerate I pick. Pressing the shutter-button just shows a camera-symbol with a stopsign in the topleft corner sort of..

HRPuffnstuff
HRPuffnstuff Junior Member • Posts: 36

A dummy battery and usb battery pack works well for me especially when recording video for 1-2 hours

-- hide signature --

If I had taken my doctor's advice and quit smoking when he advised me to, I wouldn't have lived to go to his funeral." - George Burns

HRPuffnstuff's gear list:HRPuffnstuff's gear list
Sony RX100 V
LarryB2 Regular Member • Posts: 308

I would bring a smaller tripod like the Manfroto Mini Tripod.  You can take advantage of the reach of the zoom lens and slow down the shutter speed to get more light in.

LarryB2's gear list:LarryB2's gear list
Ricoh GR III Fujifilm X100V Sony ZV-1 Sony a7C Sony 35mm F1.4 G +3 more
Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 36,892

oRBIT2002 wrote:

rodeknyt wrote:

oRBIT2002 wrote:

I've never got this working no matter which resolution/framerate I pick. Pressing the shutter-button just shows a camera-symbol with a stopsign in the topleft corner sort of..

The useful alternative is to use the 4K video and grab a frame from it using something like the free VLC https://www.videolan.org/vlc/

The resulting 8MP image is good for most purposes as long as a faster than usual shutter speed (than recommended for video) was used.

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +10 more
Horacecoker Veteran Member • Posts: 3,531

ChristianHass wrote:

One thing I've really come to enjoy is that the MR setting remembers the focal range.

So if you set it to 50mm and turn off the camera, it'll go to 50mm next time you turn it on. It doesn't do that in any of the other modes, only in MR.

That's only true if you never use the zoom whilst in that MR mode. For example, if you zoom to 75mm and switch the camera off then back on it will zoom to 75mm not 50mm.

I just find that super useful as it'll let me default to a "normal" focal length instead of having to zoom in every time I turn the camera on again.

Horacecoker's gear list:Horacecoker's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 IV Sony a6600 Sony E 16-55mm F2.8 G Sony E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS
ChristianHass Veteran Member • Posts: 3,209

Horacecoker wrote:

ChristianHass wrote:

That's only true if you never use the zoom whilst in that MR mode. For example, if you zoom to 75mm and switch the camera off then back on it will zoom to 75mm not 50mm.

Yes, that's true, it'll revert to the last used focal length.
If you switch mode from and to MR it'll go back to the programmed focal length.

-- hide signature --
 ChristianHass's gear list:ChristianHass's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX100 VI Fujifilm XF10 Sony a7R II
Horacecoker Veteran Member • Posts: 3,531

ChristianHass wrote:

Horacecoker wrote:

ChristianHass wrote:

Yes, that's true, it'll revert to the last used focal length.

Not always easy to remember to do that. It's caught me out a few times whilst using my RX10iv. I have it zooming out to the maximum focal length (600mm) equivalent In MR 1 & 2 for birds but sometimes I zoom back to say 400mm equivalent. If the camera switches off on the 'time out' feature or perhaps I switch it off deliberately. When switching it back on it will be on 400mm and I don't realise and think I'm taking shots at 600mm! It would help If the zoom setting was always visible in the display. As it is, it shows the zoom setting while you zoom then it disappears. I've never been able to understand this!

If you switch mode from and to MR it'll go back to the programmed focal length.

Yes, that's the only surefire way of guaranteeing that you are on the zoom setting you programmed into that particular memory.

Horacecoker's gear list:Horacecoker's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 IV Sony a6600 Sony E 16-55mm F2.8 G Sony E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS
elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 17,687

nice camera, I have the m6, very similar, so many of my threads about the m6 apply

Fn Button is THE KEY

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3856052

my m6 setup suggestions

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4300834

9 years of rx100 and RX1 threads, scroll down to latest update to the list, skim the titles, pick the ones that I hope might help with .....

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4305938

I was very pleased to get shallow focus of nearby subjects by zooming when close.

you will find you can handhold it slower than you think, it has more aggressive Image Stabilization than earlier models, for stills, or low light, that helps keep ISO lower with a darker lens. I sometimes shoot 2 sec self timer to get steadier for slower speed, and

sometimes I shoot continuous, say 3 shots, one sharper than the other. to do this, you will need to go into the menu and slow the darn thing's fps down. 24fps is 100 shots in 4 secs, a ridiculous quantity of shots to edit.

IF RAW is not that important, or at least try to see, Jpeg Only Noise Reduction is more aggressive in m6,m7, so that helps you use Higher Iso more successfully.

maybe RAW + Jpeg still gets the more aggressive NR, I'm not sure.

have a great and safe trip, even if vaccinated, we are reverting from cautious/normal to cautious/cautious/normal/

-- hide signature --

Elliott

elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony RX1R Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI Sony Xperia XZ +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads