Matt Irwin on Zfc and 28 2.8

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
PerL Forum Pro • Posts: 14,432
Matt Irwin on Zfc and 28 2.8
Nikon Z fc
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Oldwino Regular Member • Posts: 341
Re: Matt Irwin on Zfc and 28 2.8

Who cares? Who knows when they will ship these things? Obviously, Nikon doesn't know.

Oldwino's gear list:Oldwino's gear list
Ricoh GR III Ricoh GR IIIx Leica CL Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 Leica TL 18mm F2.8 +10 more
KR Photo Senior Member • Posts: 1,221

I need to stop watching these videos before I end up ordering one of these cameras (and then waiting).

KR Photo's gear list:KR Photo's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 +2 more
OP PerL Forum Pro • Posts: 14,432

KR Photo wrote:

I need to stop watching these videos before I end up ordering one of these cameras (and then waiting).

Same here...

If you speak German - here is another in the same spirit. ”Probably the most beautiful Z-camera...”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3VDWLc_ZjE

archerscreek Regular Member • Posts: 234
Re: Matt Irwin on a useless unboxing video Zfc and 28 2.8

The guy does an unboxing video on a camera he says he’s had for two weeks? Please. I scrolled through the video and every time I stopped it he was gushing about how beautiful it was, on and on. This is the equivalent of a Kardashian reviewing an F150. If you want substance, look elsewhere.

FurmanPhotography
FurmanPhotography New Member • Posts: 12

He’s gotten way to gushy about Nikon to the point where he seems more like the antidote to Jared Polin.

His older videos were pretty great though. I hope he returns to form, seems like a genuine dude.

sandy b
sandy b Veteran Member • Posts: 9,569

I care. Go drink a glass of wine and relax.

sandy b's gear list:sandy b's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D7500 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +12 more
cosmicnode Veteran Member • Posts: 6,245

PerL wrote:

A first look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkcK5beNR-Q

I find that I actually liked the Sandy Brown version more than the silver and black, not something I would have previously thought possible.

-- hide signature --

Mike.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure."

cosmicnode's gear list:cosmicnode's gear list
Nikon D1 Nikon D1X Nikon D1H Nikon D2H Nikon D2X +16 more
Atahualpa Contributing Member • Posts: 597

FurmanPhotography wrote:

He’s gotten way to gushy about Nikon to the point where he seems more like the antidote to Jared Polin.

His older videos were pretty great though. I hope he returns to form, seems like a genuine dude.

He still does the occassional video on photographic techniques, influence of light, interesting locations in Melbourne, life as a professional photographer, and so on. Also I think he expresses a healthy and positive attitude towards photographers.

But I also think there's too much gear talk. On the other hand, it provides him more clicks and thus more money since there's quite a lot of advertisement on his videos. I mean, there is a pattern, and you can confirm yourself that I am not just being overly selective here:

"Nikon Z fc hands" 9.1K views

"Nikon Z 85mm vs 105mm vs 70-200..." 7.6K views

"Nikon Hardware Announcements Next Week" 20k views

"Nikon Z9 - New Specs Real? | Canon R3 ..." 26K views

And then:

"Marketing your photography | Getting discovered" 1.4K views

"Nikon Z, InDesign - Making printed works" 1.9K views

"Streetscape & City Scape Photography Made Easier" 2.1K views

"Royalties  - Me & Peter McKinnon - How much can photographers make?" 3.7K views

"Better Photography Thinking | Improving your photography with empathy & humanity" 1.8K views

So it's also understandable that he's doing a lot more gear-related videos when he receives 5 to 10 times the number of clicks.

Atahualpa's gear list:Atahualpa's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 +1 more
FurmanPhotography
FurmanPhotography New Member • Posts: 12

Excellent analysis! Ultimately, I'm happy for him and I do enjoy hearing his opinion and he's lovely to listen to with his Australian English. People love unboxing videos and his channel is ultimately a vehicle for profit so your analysis is quite on point.

Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 22,216

Oldwino wrote:

Who cares? Who knows when they will ship these things? Obviously, Nikon doesn't know.

Why do you say this?

Nikon has given an expected shipping date - for those who make the first batch allocation - six days from now.

Nikon has also said initial demand far exceeds supply.

From a retailers point of view this is great as whatever copies they get (as with the 105 S Macro) are sold within hours of arriving.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than anything else.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +27 more
j_uet Junior Member • Posts: 36

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

Oldwino wrote:

Why do you say this?

Nikon has given an expected shipping date - for those who make the first batch allocation - six days from now.

This afternoon I tried to order the 28/2.8 SE but my dealer had just been informed a few hours ago from Nikon Germany that lens and kit are postponed indefinitely. So he would not take my preorder. At least I am now on pole position on his own list.

j_uet's gear list:j_uet's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR +5 more
shuncheung Senior Member • Posts: 2,698

archerscreek wrote:

The guy does an unboxing video on a camera he says he’s had for two weeks? Please. I scrolled through the video and every time I stopped it he was gushing about how beautiful it was, on and on. This is the equivalent of a Kardashian reviewing an F150. If you want substance, look elsewhere.

In the video, he has the images of Zfc's in different colors (a bit similar to, but not the same as, the image below) on some monitor the background the entire time. The video also cycled through the different color options at the beginning. This is clearly an "informercial" as part of Nikon's Zfc marketing campaign.

shuncheung's gear list:shuncheung's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z6 II Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +6 more
Rico Tudor Contributing Member • Posts: 933

my color, my style, their delivery schedule

-- hide signature --

Canon, Nikon, Contax RTS, Leica M, Sony, Profoto

Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 22,216

j_uet wrote:

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

This afternoon I tried to order the 28/2.8 SE but my dealer had just been informed a few hours ago from Nikon Germany that lens and kit are postponed indefinitely. So he would not take my preorder. At least I am now on pole position on his own list.

In the UK Nikon continue to say a shipping date of July 28th for the Zfc with 28mm from the Nikon shop.

Could your retailer be confusing when the back-log will be filled rather than first batch delivery?

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than anything else.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +27 more
Brueghel
Brueghel Senior Member • Posts: 1,214

PerL wrote:

A first look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkcK5beNR-Q

His main message is : "Wow ! It looks fantastic. Look at those colors... Gorgeous...".

Kind of subjective. Not very informative. But nice.I did see what the 28mm looks like on the Zfc (and can deduce what it will look on the Z50).

Think I am going to re-orient my career and become a camera reviewer

Brueghel's gear list:Brueghel's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Nikon D7100 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR +4 more
marter
marter Junior Member • Posts: 38

archerscreek wrote:

The guy does an unboxing video on a camera he says he’s had for two weeks?

I think he meant he gets to keep them for 2 weeks to review, not that he's had them for 2 weeks.

marter's gear list:marter's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E +3 more
AdamT
AdamT Forum Pro • Posts: 61,623

Lovely camera (way nicer than any Fuji IMO) but really don`t like the colour options as the back looks weird with the leather textured black LCD rear and the EVF hump looks weird to me in anything other than black so Trad black for me .

I found 28mm miserable back in the Pre-DX lens days of APS DSLRs (most Film standard zooms started at 28mm) - why oh why didn`t they do the 24mm as the matching prime .......

-- hide signature --

** Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist **

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon D3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads