If 99% of our work goes directly online, why do we still need 35+ Megapixel Cameras?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
MoCee
MoCee New Member • Posts: 6
If 99% of our work goes directly online, why do we still need 35+ Megapixel Cameras?

Long time member, first post in a very long time

I've been shooting for a decades. I started with film, switched to digital 20 years ago, and have always purchased high megapixel cameras as most of my clients requested and bought prints. Prints sales are nearly zero and I'm questioning why upgrade my 5DM4s to R5s. When I send clients full res images as the request, many don't realize how large the files are, or how to resize them (most do, but there are still those who don't know). In my studio I have 12 - 15 large 24x36 framed (no matte) photos of shoots (I photography people - fashion, corporate, environmental portraits, etc), and some were taken with 5DM4, some even with an older Canon 7D M1. My photog friends cannot see the difference at 24x36. Any input on megapixel size in 2021 would be helpful. Thanks.

Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ZilverHaylide Senior Member • Posts: 1,253
Re: If 99% of our work goes directly online, why do we still need 35+ Megapixel Cameras?

MoCee wrote:

I've been shooting for a decades. I started with film, switched to digital 20 years ago, and have always purchased high megapixel cameras as most of my clients requested and bought prints. Prints sales are nearly zero and I'm questioning why upgrade my 5DM4s to R5s. When I send clients full res images as the request, many don't realize how large the files are, or how to resize them (most do, but there are still those who don't know). In my studio I have 12 - 15 large 24x36 framed (no matte) photos of shoots (I photography people - fashion, corporate, environmental portraits, etc), and some were taken with 5DM4, some even with an older Canon 7D M1. My photog friends cannot see the difference at 24x36. Any input on megapixel size in 2021 would be helpful. Thanks.

Well, high-megapixel images aren't just about final resolution. Think of them as the next step in the dumbing-down of photography.

First there was (in film days) the motor drive, then (for digital) the insane frame rates. That meant it was no longer necessary to select "the decisive moment" while actually shooting, it could be done later!

Then, with high-MP cameras, it was no longer necessary to have an aesthetic sense in order to precisely compose/frame before taking the shot, it could be done later!

The final step will be artificial intelligence, which will choose the particular frame, and then do the cropping, from all the megapixels in all those high-frame-rate bursts!

And at that point, the photographer will be completely dispensable!

Welcome to the modern world!

QuietOC
QuietOC Veteran Member • Posts: 5,321
Re: If 99% of our work goes directly online, why do we still need 35+ Megapixel Cameras?

ZilverHaylide wrote:

The final step will be artificial intelligence, which will choose the particular frame, and then do the cropping, from all the megapixels in all those high-frame-rate bursts!

And at that point, the photographer will be completely dispensable!

Welcome to the modern world!

Sony had such AI auto cropping in their cameras since at least 2012. It was originally called Auto Portrait Framing and later Auto Object Framing. It used to be enabled by default. It sounds like the A6400 and 6100 still have it. The A7RII seems to be the last full-frame camera with it.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00019557

QuietOC's gear list:QuietOC's gear list
Pentax Q7 Sony a7R IV NEX-5T Sony a77 II Sony DT 16-105mm F3.5-5.6 +92 more
MoCee
OP MoCee New Member • Posts: 6

Interesting. Thanks for your input. However, it doesn't really address the actual question.

MoCee

Thanks for your input. However, it doesn't address the original question.

JustUs7 Senior Member • Posts: 2,664

Depends on the monitors and the context they are viewed in I suspect.  Mostly probably not if you’re just using Instagram and Facebook.

JustUs7's gear list:JustUs7's gear list
Canon EOS 1000D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III +7 more

MoCee wrote:

Thanks for your input. However, it doesn't address the original question.

OK. Here are a couple of real benefits from high MP cameras, even if you don't "need" the MPs.

1) reduction of moire/aliasing. If the sensor gets bumped-up to be better than the lens, the lens now effectively acts as an optical low-pass filter for the system, reducing aliasing.

2) better performance from decent lenses. A higher resolution body instantly "upgrades" most or all of your lenses -- without changing your lenses. Contrary to all the talk about most lenses not being "good enough" for high-resolution bodies, in fact, unless truly awful, most lenses perform better when paired with a higher-resolution body than with a lower-resolution one. (For concrete examples, see the resolution results at OpticalLimits.com, where some of the Canon lenses have been tested on both a 5DSR and a 20 or 30MP body. I think they've done similar tests with two bodies for some R-series lenses). That improvement is because the SYSTEM optical transfer function is not a "weakest link" result, but rather, the product of the transfer functions for lens and sensor. Upgrade either and the system results should improve. (Whether it's cost-effective is a different story, and would depend on the costs and performance of the components and the upgrade. It wouldn't be cost-effective to put a racing engine in a houseboat, but it might be worthwhile to make a smaller improvement).

MoCee

My clients use the images for online content, whether it's their websites, online ads, their social media content, etc. I don't shoot weddings, just commercial. So as I get ready to upgrade my system, I thought I'd ask. I shoot in my studio and on location 50/50%. Besides printing, is there any other reason to shoot 35+ megapixels on full frame cameras? Thanks.

MoCee

Thanks for your input. Need to process all this info. I also posted on another forum the same question. Received good info there as well. So much to consider before I drop $10K+ into a new system when my current 5DM4 has been faithful for more than a few years.

beagle1 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,454

MoCee wrote:

yes, if you are not a professional photographer and only posting to social media 35+ MP is probably not necessary

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

MoCee wrote:

Thanks for your input. Need to process all this info. I also posted on another forum the same question. Received good info there as well. So much to consider before I drop $10K+ into a new system when my current 5DM4 has been faithful for more than a few years.

If you're satisfied with your current 5Dm4 system, and aren't getting any negative feedback from clients, and they are just using your output online, then even the two advantages I previously cited probably wouldn't be seen in real-world use. So that argues against any upgrade. If it ain't broke, why are you even looking to fix it?

But for relatively-static studio subjects, if you really wanted more resolution for some reason (i.e. more cropping flexibility), maybe consider adding a Canon 5DSR. Currently bargain-priced at $1500 at B&H, rather than the $10K you were talking for a new system. Discontinued, I think, and currently out of stock, but they are apparently still taking orders, so they presumably expect more to arrive. It doesn't have dual-pixel AF, and has a reputation for lower dynamic range than most modern FF bodies, but in the studio where you can control lighting ratios, I'd expect the lower dynamic range wouldn't be a problem. Or, if you ever need moire control or more-accurate pixel-level color for still-life/product photography, a possible solution would be to add a mirrorless body with pixel-shift capability. Unfortunately nothing with P-S from Canon currently, but a 42MP Sony A7Riii body has pixel-shift and with an adapter for your Canon DSLR lenses would cost a lot less than $10K.

MoCee

Yes, I'm a professional. And yes, 99% of my clients, from fashion to advertising, use the images for online content. As my original post mentions. Thanks.

mujana Veteran Member • Posts: 7,569

MoCee wrote:

Yes, I'm a professional. And yes, 99% of my clients, from fashion to advertising, use the images for online content. As my original post mentions. Thanks.

No reason at all for you to change/“upgrade”. Why would you consider an “upgrade”/change of camera? What do you miss in your current camera?

mujana's gear list:mujana's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony a7R IV Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +9 more
Handsome90 Contributing Member • Posts: 640

Not everyone needs high resolution cameras. But it's useful for cropping (especially for wild-life photography) or for low light photography (check out high iso images from low MP cameras like A7S and downsampled high ISO images from highresolution cameras like A7R).

Also camera manufacturers need to sell hybrid 6K, 8K cameras to content creators in order to stay in business.

Anyways it appears for your usage you don't require a high resolution camera

Krusty79 Senior Member • Posts: 2,711

Handsome90 wrote:

Not everyone needs high resolution cameras. But it's useful for cropping (especially for wild-life photography)

+1

As a wildlife photographer, I want all the mp I can get so I can crop the image. Most wildlife is too far away to fill the frame with it.

-- hide signature --

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gkphotos79/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/greg79
"You can't be young forever, but you can always be immature" - Larry Andersen

Krusty79's gear list:Krusty79's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +4 more
Tobamory Senior Member • Posts: 1,279

Mocee higher megapixels mainly for me are my ability to crop in to a Photo, this then enables me to user lesser lens but get great range. Also one major benefit for me was with any of DSLRs you have back and front focusing, i tested massively with Focal Pro and most of my zooms were out slightly, hence why you have the + and - attribute on all DSLRs for focus, with Mirrorless you dont have this issue as its straight onto the sensor..

The implementation from Sony specific has been great for me, they now offer on my A1 Jpeg Light, so if your uploading to Getty images, or a company with Live photos for news etc, the Camera creates an FTP with your phone and Auto uploads as you shoot..

I agree your friends wont probably see much diff, however a close friend just upgraded from his Nikon FF to the Nikon Z7II and mirrorless left him breathless on Sharpness and his ability to crop. Shooting Bike racing, he only had the stock 24-70 F4 so he was some distance. but because of the Pixels he could crop in massively and get the shot.

I think the R5 would be good, if you can budget for it, and you'd be pleasantly surprised on how detailed things become from your current setup.

Tobamory's gear list:Tobamory's gear list
Sony a1 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sigma 14-24mm F2.8 DG HSM Art Sony RX100 V +4 more
NikonNature Veteran Member • Posts: 4,723

I would say your current gear is still excellent and can do everything you need for your business. I view MP increases as marketing tool. Not that it has no benefit, but it's a part of competition among brands. If Sony releases 45MP, then Canon and Nikon will follow suit just to keep up. It also helps each brand define tiers of cameras to tempt current users to upgrade.

Switching subjects, there may be some mirrorless benefits to you... Features like Face detect and Eye AF, live histogram, focus points covering the whole sensor, silent shutter modes, etc. could be useful to you. In short, I see no 'need' to upgrade, but if you 'want' to go mirrorless there are likely some benefits and the extra MP won't hurt.

NikonNature's gear list:NikonNature's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD +1 more
Damien from Lyon France
Damien from Lyon France Junior Member • Posts: 27

well of course, if you're a good photographer, you don't

one of the reasons plenty of pro uses 24Mpix cameras

Damien from Lyon France's gear list:Damien from Lyon France's gear list
Leica M9-P Nikon D800E Olympus PEN-F Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Leica Summarit-M 35mm f/2.5 +1 more
Bob Smart Forum Member • Posts: 60

I feel a bit of a hypocrite with this post as I now tend to use a Nikon D800, which isn't short of a megapixel or two but a local company asked for two out of the hundreds of photographs that I'd taken at their facility over the last couple of years.

The first photograph was taken with a old Nikon D2x and the second, a slightly newer Nikon D3, both of which are only 12mp.

Just goes to show....A) More megapixels might mean a technically better photograph with regard to detail captured etc but can't guarantee a better/more pleasing 'image', which is more subjective and ,

B) 12 megapixels can look great, even when printed at these sizes 👍...

Bob Smart's gear list:Bob Smart's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D800 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +5 more
Damien from Lyon France
Damien from Lyon France Junior Member • Posts: 27

OMG that's BIG !

congratulations !

Damien from Lyon France's gear list:Damien from Lyon France's gear list
Leica M9-P Nikon D800E Olympus PEN-F Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Leica Summarit-M 35mm f/2.5 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads