Is there a lens with a zoom like the 15-45mm but faster?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Bejersey
Bejersey Forum Pro • Posts: 14,509
Is there a lens with a zoom like the 15-45mm but faster?

I am looking for, in 35mm terms a 24 or28mm to 72 or 100mm but at a constant f4

Thanks

Rick

RLight Senior Member • Posts: 3,450
Re: Is there a lens with a zoom like the 15-45mm but faster?

Bejersey wrote:

Thanks

Rick

EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM adapted, is the closest option. It’s fairly big when adapted.

RLight's gear list:RLight's gear list
Canon G1 X III Canon EOS R Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro
Bejersey
OP Bejersey Forum Pro • Posts: 14,509

Thanks..!!

Jeff Peterman
Jeff Peterman Forum Pro • Posts: 13,495

Fairly big even when not adapted! But a great lens, with L-quality optics.

-- hide signature --

Jeff Peterman, Moderator 7D and Phone/Tablet forums.
Not a staff member, or paid employee, of DPReview.
Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
www.pbase.com/jeffp25

Jeff Peterman's gear list:Jeff Peterman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +19 more
Dareshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 5,218

Not a constant F/4 but the Sigma 17-70  DC macro. OSM is a F/2.8-F/4  lens that's worth a look.

KevinRA Contributing Member • Posts: 790

Jeff Peterman wrote:

Fairly big even when not adapted! But a great lens, with L-quality optics.

I think it may depend somewhat on copies - many reports and my experience with one copy of the 17-55 f/2.8  (which I returned) was sub-modern-L at least.  Very large combination and giving in effect a 27-88mm f/4.5 on full frame so not really exciting to me.  And large!

The sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 seems the best bet for the moderate wide - standard range in a zoom - still large though and no IS.

I've stuck so far with the lowly 15-45mm - the results IQ wise at f/8 just as good for my use as the 17-55 I had at a fraction of the size.

KevinRA's gear list:KevinRA's gear list
Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5 Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM +11 more
Bejersey

Dareshooter wrote:

Not a constant F/4 but the Sigma 17-70 DC macro. OSM is a F/2.8-F/4 lens that's worth a look.

Is this an EFM for the M series?

thunder storm Senior Member • Posts: 7,578

Bejersey wrote:

Thanks

Rick

Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 Art as an f/2.8 equivalent aperture, but it's only 56mm long, not 70 or even 100mm.

The range might be lacking, but the light gathering is great, and on crop it's the sharpest zoom at it's focal range.

You could add the el cheapo EF 50mm f/1.8 stm, which is stopped down to f/2.8 (kinda f/4.0 equivalence) reasonably sharp, to get 80mm.

WIth the ef-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM you will have more reach, however, wide open it won't be really sharp. It's a sharp lens but it needs some stopping down.  This lens has IS, which is a great benefit when shooting static objects.

-- hide signature --

I love 50mm (equivalence)

thunder storm's gear list:thunder storm's gear list
Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +18 more
Bejersey

Thank you!

thunder storm wrote:

Bejersey wrote:

Thanks

Rick

Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 Art as an f/2.8 equivalent aperture, but it's only 56mm long, not 70 or even 100mm.

The range might be lacking, but the light gathering is great, and on crop it's the sharpest zoom at it's focal range.

You could add the el cheapo EF 50mm f/1.8 stm, which is stopped down to f/2.8 (kinda f/4.0 equivalence) reasonably sharp, to get 80mm.

WIth the ef-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM you will have more reach, however, wide open it won't be really sharp. It's a sharp lens but it needs some stopping down. This lens has IS, which is a great benefit when shooting static objects.

Sittatunga Veteran Member • Posts: 3,507
EF16-35mm f/4?

Bejersey wrote:

Thank you!

thunder storm wrote:

Bejersey wrote:

Thanks

Rick

WIth the ef-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM you will have more reach, however, wide open it won't be really sharp. It's a sharp lens but it needs some stopping down. This lens has IS, which is a great benefit when shooting static objects.

Why would you bother with the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 on an EOS M if you have to stop it down? The EF 16-35mm f/4 is 20g lighter, only 2mm longer and doesn't change length as you zoom. I've never bothered trying mine on my EOS M because of its size. For example,

https://camerasize.com/compact/#833.348,833.425.2,ha,t

I think I'll stay with my EF-M 18-55mm as this is obviously the reason Canon don't do a fast EF-M zoom.

RLight Senior Member • Posts: 3,450

No. I wish there was.

The only “lens” that’s faster yet same size is the Powershot G1X III, it’s a 15-45 f/2.8-5.6, in APS-C.

All other options are bigger or in other formats e.g. Sony 16-50 2.8G.

In short, each alternative has a drawback (from other systems). All fast zooms for the M are adapted larger DSLR optics.

My 2 cents? Pair the 15-45 with a 22 f/2 pancake for indoor / outdoor, lowlight and daylight swaps.

RLight's gear list:RLight's gear list
Canon G1 X III Canon EOS R Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro
Jeff Peterman

" the results IQ wise at f/8 just as good for my use as the 17-55"
Well, if you're going to limit yourself to f8, you can put up with a lot of imperfections in a lens. The 17-55 gives you f2.8, which I've used a lot on mine - but admittedly not for a while.

I bought the 17-55 when it first came out, to use on my then-new 20D. It remained my standard lens through the 7D, but now my main body is a 5D MKIV, so it just sits on a shelf.

-- hide signature --

Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
www.pbase.com/jeffp25

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +19 more
Dareshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 5,218

Bejersey wrote:

Dareshooter wrote:

Not a constant F/4 but the Sigma 17-70 DC macro. OSM is a F/2.8-F/4 lens that's worth a look.

Is this an EFM for the M series?

No ,if only . It will need an adapter,good lens though I used the original with my DSLRs .

Jeff Peterman
No good, fast, zoom lens for the M-series.

It is pretty obvious that Canon only make slow zoom lenses for the M series in order to keep the size down and the price reasonable. To make them faster, they would have to make the optics bigger - significantly bigger if you want decent image quality. Bigger glass is more expensive, and the M series lose their advantage as soon as you start adding big, heavy, lenses to the M series.

If you want a small, easy to carry, system with decent image quality and flexibility (the M series) then you need to live with slower zooms. Canon did bend the rule a little though, with the EF-M 32mm f/1.4 - deciding it was worth making a bigger lens so that there was one great, fast, prime for the M series in a common walk-around focal length. Plus, you can also get an adapter and use an EF/EF-S lens when needed. But if your intent is to mostly use the M series body with EF or EF-S lenses, you'd be better off buying an SL3 or 90D.

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/jeffp25

Jeff Peterman wrote:

" the results IQ wise at f/8 just as good for my use as the 17-55"
Well, if you're going to limit yourself to f8, you can put up with a lot of imperfections in a lens.

Yes agree.  f/8 works OK for me for most casual and landscape shots - the 15-45 works well for me at f/5.6 at the wider end.  With the M system I do need to use my primes for shallow DOF work or low light action work - the 32mm f/1.4 and 56mm f/1.4 both sharp wide open.  I rented the 85 f/1.4 for one assignment too lately.

The 17-55 gives you f2.8, which I've used a lot on mine - but admittedly not for a while.

I guess for me f/2.8 on APS-C crop is not that exciting as a f/4.5 FF equiv.  - everyone's mileage may vary.  And in good light if I want everything sharp and in focus f/5.6-f/8 works for me normally for most shots.

I bought the 17-55 when it first came out, to use on my then-new 20D. It remained my standard lens through the 7D, but now my main body is a 5D MKIV, so it just sits on a shelf.

17-55mm f/2.8 was a game changer I know on the 20D at that time - best optical quality and brightest lens for that camera.  It also balanced fine with the heavier 20D DSLR rather than the lightweight small EF-M Body.  I used a 24-105mm on the 5D for a while - full frame equiv of the 17-55 on a 20D.

Guess for me if one can get a good 2nd hand copy of the 17-55 for the EF-M and put up with the size and weight it is OK - just for me on a M6 II it seems not a great match ergonomically, convenience wise and also not exciting.  And expensive if brand new for what's not top notch optics wide open on a 32 MP APS-C sensor which for pixel peepers demands more than the old 8MP sensors (yes I know at same viewing size etc etc....

Of course the 24-70 2.8 on full frame really good...

Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5 Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM +11 more
thunder storm Senior Member • Posts: 7,578

RLight wrote:

No. I wish there was.

The only “lens” that’s faster yet same size is the Powershot G1X III, it’s a 15-45 f/2.8-5.6, in APS-C.

All other options are bigger or in other formats e.g. Sony 16-50 2.8G.

In short, each alternative has a drawback (from other systems). All fast zooms for the M are adapted larger DSLR optics.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65294248

If it zooms and is small, it's dark.

If it's bright and small, it doesn't zoom.

If it's bright and it zooms, it's not small.

M is about small, hence there are no bright zooms. Usually a full frame sensor will add another stop of better high ISO performance to an f/4.0 zoom compared to f/2.8 on crop, so not having something like the Sony 16-50mm 2.8G (being even more expensive than the RF f/4.0 L, and that's without stabilization in the lens and less reach) makes sense in my opinion.

My 2 cents? Pair the 15-45 with a 22 f/2 pancake for indoor / outdoor, lowlight and daylight swaps.

The 22mm isn't stabilized, it's only f/4.0 equivalence compared to full frame taking into account it's pretty bad T-stop.

If you want low light performance the RF 35mm f/1.8 IS stm crushes it. The 22mm isn't about low light performance, it's about compactness, like the whole M system.

-- hide signature --

I love 50mm (equivalence)

thunder storm's gear list:thunder storm's gear list
Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +18 more
Bejersey

Thanks Jeff...!!

Rick

Jeff Peterman

I use the 24-105 on my 5D. I've considered the 24-70 f2.8L many times, but for me the lack of IS was always a major deal. I almost bought the f4 version, which has IS, or the Tamron 24-70 f2.8 with IS, but kept hoping for a Canon one.
Now, I can get IS with a Canon 24-70 - if I get an R5 or R6.
But, I no longer shoot seriously (not enough time) and so picked up an M6 MKII because of the convenience. So far, I'm pretty happy with it. I'd love to have the option of a small, light, fast, good quality, mid range zoom for the M6 - but know it is not physically possible.

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/jeffp25

Bejersey
This is a crop but otherwise SOOC with 15-45mm
Re: This is a crop but otherwise SOOC with 15-45mm

Bejersey wrote:

nice

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads