1Password 8 dropping Standalone (local) vaults

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
casperghst42 Regular Member • Posts: 196
Re: 1Password 8 dropping Standalone (local) vaults

I’ve been a very happy 1P user for many years, since version 2. I currently use 1P6 on Catalina and IOS without problems it does what I need it to. I actually upgraded to 1P7 with a license but went back to 1P6 due to my dislike of the UI (I have a strong opinion about UIs). 1P6 will the last version I’ll use, when it stops working I’ll move enPass (life time license ) and it supports WebDAV and Nextcloud (new to me - ya!!), which is just what I need. And enPass does what 1P does, just slightly better at data management (in my opinion).

1Password went side ways the second Apple bought a license for each and every employee .. they did not see the writing on the wall that Apple eventually would come up with an Apple version free of charge build into iOS and macOS …

-- hide signature --

www.exilepixel.com

OP wklee Veteran Member • Posts: 9,787
1Password 8 going to be a non Mac native App

1Password 8 is now not a Mac native App but an Electron App. It's not going down well. It's still early though. 1Password hopefully will change their minds.

https://sixcolors.com/post/2021/08/not-important-enough-1password-abandons-its-native-mac-app/

https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/08/16/users-lobby-1password-to-abandon-new-electron-version

-- hide signature --

Never buy version 1.0 of anything.
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
Till it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot
Joni Mitchell's Big Yellow Taxi

vdubreeze Senior Member • Posts: 1,342

Never was attracted to password managers that either did not allow you to control local database or were subscription when there have been good alternatives. I started on the original KeePass and moved to better maintained apps when they became available. Currently KeePass XC does everything I need and nothing I don't want, and KeePassium on IOS works perfectly accessing and changing the same database. Maybe I've been missing something about what's useful with 1Password, but for the upsides of these two well featured free apps I can't think of any reason to consider a paid subscription app.

vdubreeze's gear list:vdubreeze's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +1 more
Desert Scout New Member • Posts: 2

I've had the same question about dropping internet access. Suppose, hypothetically, a gigantic hurricane were to knock power out from your city for a week. Suppose during that time, you need to call your bank, or some other service provider whose security question answers you had stored in your 1P vault. Suppose that you can't access any of your electronics because, you know, you're without power.

It would be nice to have a USB key I could take to an emergency shelter that has a laptop and access my 1Password database and get to my info from there.

In case you hadn't guessed, this isn't actually a hypothetical scenario.

All modern programmers seem to think that "assume universal accessibility to fully charged devices with broadband internet access" is a reasonable assumption to make.

That's a stupid assumption.

Desert Scout New Member • Posts: 2

I spent more than $2,000 on Adobe fonts for my company's brand identity with their Type-on-Call product in the early 2000s. It was a subscription model and you would unlock the fonts you purchased by giving your license# to their activation servers.

Then they decided to decommission the activation servers and drop the product, *without* giving legacy customers any way to get their fonts if they bought a new computer.

Since that day, I'm very, very, VERY wary of software that demands a subscription. It quietly makes the software's activation servers a mission-critical part of my business, and makes my business subject to *their* business decisions.

lightandaprayer Veteran Member • Posts: 4,747

Desert Scout wrote:

I've had the same question about dropping internet access. Suppose, hypothetically, a gigantic hurricane were to knock power out from your city for a week. Suppose during that time, you need to call your bank, or some other service provider whose security question answers you had stored in your 1P vault. Suppose that you can't access any of your electronics because, you know, you're without power.

It would be nice to have a USB key I could take to an emergency shelter that has a laptop and access my 1Password database and get to my info from there.

In case you hadn't guessed, this isn't actually a hypothetical scenario.

All modern programmers seem to think that "assume universal accessibility to fully charged devices with broadband internet access" is a reasonable assumption to make.

That's a stupid assumption.

I may take some time and see if anyone has posted a version of your "hypothetical" lack of Internet access situation on the official 1Password forum.  I would like to read how the company responds to it. . .

It is possible to create a text file of the data in a local vault, so the login info would be accessible during an Internet outage.  I assume and hope that the same goes for data stored on AgileBits servers.  Of course, it wouldn't be very convenient having to enter some of the very strong pass phrases I have created. . .  Thank Gawd for copy/paste!  We would also need to encrypt the file for obvious reasons.

PSGimages
PSGimages Senior Member • Posts: 2,461
Re: 1Password 8 going to be a non Mac native App

wklee wrote:

1Password 8 is now not a Mac native App but an Electron App. It's not going down well. It's still early though. 1Password hopefully will change their minds.

https://sixcolors.com/post/2021/08/not-important-enough-1password-abandons-its-native-mac-app/

https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/08/16/users-lobby-1password-to-abandon-new-electron-version

I'm messing with the 1password 8 beta.

I know a lot of people hate electron and gripe constantly about it, but I'm not seeing the performance hit or sluggishness, or battery consumption issues mentioned. This is, after all, a password management app that sits idle much of the time. The UI is not exactly Apple-esque but I use it on Linux too  and appreciate the sameness across platforms so I guess you can't have it both ways.

That said, the beta is not full featured yet so I'm sort of holding off on forming an opinion as of yet.

I think Bitwarden https://bitwarden.com/ looks like one of the better alternatives for those wanting to jump ship.  I'm going to sit firmly on the fence for a while.

PSGimages's gear list:PSGimages's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM +10 more
Re: 1Password 8 going to be a non Mac native App

PSGimages wrote:

wklee wrote:

I'm messing with the 1password 8 beta.

I know a lot of people hate electron and gripe constantly about it, but I'm not seeing the performance hit or sluggishness, or battery consumption issues mentioned. This is, after all, a password management app that sits idle much of the time. The UI is not exactly Apple-esque but I use it on Linux too and appreciate the sameness across platforms so I guess you can't have it both ways.

That said, the beta is not full featured yet so I'm sort of holding off on forming an opinion as of yet.

I think Bitwarden https://bitwarden.com/ looks like one of the better alternatives for those wanting to jump ship. I'm going to sit firmly on the fence for a while.

If Electron isn't Apple-esque then 1Password 7 for Mac UI which actually started on 1Password 6 for Windows before moving to Mac wasn't entirely Mac-like too. The last Mac-like 1Password App was 1Password 6.8. Still works on Catalina but it's unsupported.

I haven't tried 1Password 8 Beta.

-- hide signature --

Till it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

1Password for iOS complaints

https://1password.community/discussion/123513/1password-for-safari-does-not-work-with-standalone-vaults-ios-password-autofill-is-available#latest

1Password removing features without telling their customers. I upgraded to 1Password 7.8 on iOS 14.8. The 1Password share sheet is gone. Only iOS AutoFill works. iOS 15 has new features but I’m sticking with iOS 14.8 for now.

-- hide signature --

Till it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

Scott Vail Senior Member • Posts: 1,735
Re: 1Password for iOS complaints

wklee wrote:

https://1password.community/discussion/123513/1password-for-safari-does-not-work-with-standalone-vaults-ios-password-autofill-is-available#latest

1Password removing features without telling their customers. I upgraded to 1Password 7.8 on iOS 14.8. The 1Password share sheet is gone. Only iOS AutoFill works. iOS 15 has new features but I’m sticking with iOS 14.8 for now.

Interestingly, I discovered today, that 1Password6 no longer launches on IOS 12.5.4.  I realize it's an unsupported version, but it was working.  I suspect an update rendered it unusable as it still works on an iPad running the above version of IOS.

Scott

Scott Vail's gear list:Scott Vail's gear list
Nikon D3

wklee wrote:

It just keeps getting worse with Agilebits. . . As they say, a leopard cannot change its spots. And the 1Password customer experience has been going downhill for years, accelerating with the move to subscriptions and Cloud-based data storage.

It appears that the company has calculated that with such a large customer base it can afford to lose a lot of current customers and still come out ahead in the long run.

Treating long-time customers with respect is not important to them. . . Over and over we get these long-winded explanations about why they feel compelled to do what they do. But only after there is an uproar regarding the latest insult to its customers. It's always very logical and composed in a conciliatory tone. But it consistently comes down to the same message: We have decided to go a particular route, we don't really care how you feel about it and there is nothing you can do about it.

I hope that korporate karma bites Agilebits in its butt and the company has to either change its ways or really suffers for how it has treated its loyal supporters. Other companies have gone down in ashes when they have miscalculated the amount of disrespect they can direct at their customers. Fortunately, there are suitable alternatives to 1Password.  I guess that we are going to learn how many people are really upset enough to take their business elsewhere. . .

LarryRC Senior Member • Posts: 1,068

lightandaprayer wrote:

wklee wrote:

It just keeps getting worse with Agilebits. . . As they say, a leopard cannot change its spots. And the 1Password customer experience has been going downhill for years, accelerating with the move to subscriptions and Cloud-based data storage.

It appears that the company has calculated that with such a large customer base it can afford to lose a lot of current customers and still come out ahead in the long run.

Treating long-time customers with respect is not important to them. . . Over and over we get these long-winded explanations about why they feel compelled to do what they do. But only after there is an uproar regarding the latest insult to its customers. It's always very logical and composed in a conciliatory tone. But it consistently comes down to the same message: We have decided to go a particular route, we don't really care how you feel about it and there is nothing you can do about it.

I hope that korporate karma bites Agilebits in its butt and the company has to either change its ways or really suffers for how it has treated its loyal supporters. Other companies have gone down in ashes when they have miscalculated the amount of disrespect they can direct at their customers. Fortunately, there are suitable alternatives to 1Password. I guess that we are going to learn how many people are really upset enough to take their business elsewhere. . .

Sad but i have to agree.

LarryRC's gear list:LarryRC's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 12-24mm F4 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III Sony FE 600mm F4
KE_DP
KE_DP Veteran Member • Posts: 5,914

I hope that korporate karma bites Agilebits in its butt and the company has to either change its ways or really suffers for how it has treated its loyal supporters. Other companies have gone down in ashes when they have miscalculated the amount of disrespect they can direct at their customers. Fortunately, there are suitable alternatives to 1Password. I guess that we are going to learn how many people are really upset enough to take their business elsewhere. . .

Agree - once 1P7 for Mac desktop (w/sync to iOS via iCloud) stops working - it's goodbye to AgileBitTheDust.  Apple's keychain system is just fine for all the day to day things - for anything more advanced I'll go back to a spreadsheet before "subscribing" to something that charges me to access my own data.    There are of course plenty of other alternatives out there.

KE_DP's gear list:KE_DP's gear list
Sony a7R IV
noirdesir Forum Pro • Posts: 13,797

KE_DP wrote:

Apple's keychain system is just fine for all the day to day things - for anything more advanced I'll go back to a spreadsheet before "subscribing" to something that charges me to access my own data.

You mean like most Adobe products, iCloud (incl. iCloud Photo Library), Microsoft Office and so on?

terrydev Regular Member • Posts: 413

You mean like most Adobe products, iCloud (incl. iCloud Photo Library), Microsoft Office and so on?

None of these charge for access to your own data. Lightroom Classic will export even after you end your subscription. The Cloud version of Lightroom gives you a year to download your images after you unsubscribe, plus you can create and keep a local copy through Lightroom, The iCloud Photo Library is a sharing service and pretty much expects you have local copies, there has to be 10+ apps that can open documents produced in Office - including but not limited to Pages, Keynote, Numbers, OpenOffice etc etc. There are reasons for not wanting a subscription service, but at least have accurate ones.

noirdesir Forum Pro • Posts: 13,797

terrydev wrote:

There are reasons for not wanting a subscription service, but at least have accurate ones.

Yeah, that one can get by with the cheaper non-subscription options (eg, not needing the full capabilities of MS Office).

Subscriptions are just a different form of upgrade pricing, with the main difference being that one cannot skip versions*. Basically all software needs updates sooner or later, at a minimum to maintain compatibility with newer OS versions.

* For some rare usage, subscriptions can allow be cheaper if one only needs to subscribe for short periods of time.

Needs the latest?

There seems to be a need for the latest versions? I'm at iOS 14.8, Catalina, Safari 14.1.2. Agilebits appears to push iOS 15 and Safari 15.

-- hide signature --

Till it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 9,128

lightandaprayer wrote:

Well, yes. That's the point. To make  profit. Ditto for the people that made your computer, your phone, your camera, and DPR.

Why not just move on to something else?

terrydev Regular Member • Posts: 413

noirdesir wrote:

terrydev wrote:

There are reasons for not wanting a subscription service, but at least have accurate ones.

Yeah, that one can get by with the cheaper non-subscription options (eg, not needing the full capabilities of MS Office).

Subscriptions are just a different form of upgrade pricing, with the main difference being that one cannot skip versions*. Basically all software needs updates sooner or later, at a minimum to maintain compatibility with newer OS versions.

* For some rare usage, subscriptions can allow be cheaper if one only needs to subscribe for short periods of time.

If these are your reasons then why spread inaccurate ones?

robgendreau wrote:

lightandaprayer wrote:

Well, yes. That's the point. To make profit. Ditto for the people that made your computer, your phone, your camera, and DPR.

Why not just move on to something else?

I do not need an explanation regarding profit motive. . .  If you aren't interested in the topic, you are also free to move onto something else.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads