Olympus kit lens question

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Chuck Bagdade Regular Member • Posts: 220
Olympus kit lens question

Hello. I recently acquired an Olympus EP-L1 camera with two lenses. My question involves setting the focus manually on the 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 lens. When I set the camera to manual focus, the longer zoom lens can freely focus manually, but the 14-42 won't allow it. Any help would be appreciated.

-- hide signature --

Chuck

dlevitt Senior Member • Posts: 1,019
Re: Olympus kit lens question

Chuck Bagdade wrote:

Hello. I recently acquired an Olympus EP-L1 camera with two lenses. My question involves setting the focus manually on the 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 lens. When I set the camera to manual focus, the longer zoom lens can freely focus manually, but the 14-42 won't allow it. Any help would be appreciated.

Which 14-42 lens?

I have the ‘R’ version (not the Electric Zoom’ pancake), and usually have my EM 10.2 set to single auto focus + MF

This has the camera focus with half press, and then the focus can be fine tuned.

what happens when you turn the focus ring?

There are reports that the EZ lens has occasional trouble (breakage) of an internal ribbon cable, disabling the zoom and / or focus rings.

-- hide signature --

Save the Earth! Collect the entire set!

 dlevitt's gear list:dlevitt's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +6 more
OP Chuck Bagdade Regular Member • Posts: 220
Re: Olympus kit lens question

Thanks for the reply. I tried your method but, with a half press of the shutter button, I still can't turn the focusing ring.

Chuck

-- hide signature --

Chuck

dlevitt Senior Member • Posts: 1,019
Re: Olympus kit lens question

Chuck Bagdade wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I tried your method but, with a half press of the shutter button, I still can't turn the focusing ring.

Chuck

When the camera is set to auto focus only, does the ring spin? [Spin and do nothing is typical for all focus by wire lenses when manual focus is disabled in camera settings]

How about when it's not mounted on the camera? [or mounted with the camera switched off?]

If the lens itself is jammed, there is nothing the camera settings can control.

-- hide signature --

Save the Earth! Collect the entire set!

 dlevitt's gear list:dlevitt's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +6 more
OP Chuck Bagdade Regular Member • Posts: 220
Re: Olympus kit lens question

It's not jammed. When I turn the focusing ring a little, it quickly returns to its original position- by power.

-- hide signature --

Chuck

dlevitt Senior Member • Posts: 1,019
Re: Olympus kit lens question

Chuck Bagdade wrote:

It's not jammed. When I turn the focusing ring a little, it quickly returns to its original position- by power.

Sorry I cannot help - the ‘R’ series lens has no motors or springs acting on the focus or zoom rings.

-- hide signature --

Save the Earth! Collect the entire set!

 dlevitt's gear list:dlevitt's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +6 more
motormatic Regular Member • Posts: 237
Re: Olympus kit lens question
1

Chuck Bagdade wrote:

It's not jammed. When I turn the focusing ring a little, it quickly returns to its original position- by power.

I think you have the 14-42EZ and you are turning the zoom ring and not the focusing ring (which on that lens is really tiny).

The focusing ring can be turned endlessly in either direction, even when the camera is off. The zoom ring is sprung and is little more than a switch to activate the zoom motor.

OP Chuck Bagdade Regular Member • Posts: 220
Re: Olympus kit lens question

motormatic wrote:

Chuck Bagdade wrote:

It's not jammed. When I turn the focusing ring a little, it quickly returns to its original position- by power.

I think you have the 14-42EZ and you are turning the zoom ring and not the focusing ring (which on that lens is really tiny).

The focusing ring can be turned endlessly in either direction, even when the camera is off. The zoom ring is sprung and is little more than a switch to activate the zoom motor.

Thanks for the reply, but I know the zoom ring from the focusing ring on this lens. The zoom ring is wide, and marked with the range of focal lengths. The focus ring is at the very front of the lens. It turns easily when off the camera, but not when the camera is turned on, even when set to MF.

Chuck

CR1975 Forum Member • Posts: 82
Re: Olympus kit lens question

hi there,

is this the lens in question?

Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 ED Review / Test Report (opticallimits.com)

just trying to get a sense of where the lens is seizing up on you.  Some of the original 14-42 from the original E-PL1 days are pretty long in the tooth and may have all sorts of mechanical issues, as it was an extendable zoom in terms of general use.  Lots of places for things to go wrong.  They are quite affordable lenses and i fathom you could find a replacement for relative low cost.

-- hide signature --

===
Shooting an Olympus in Vancouver, BC!

 CR1975's gear list:CR1975's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +6 more
motormatic Regular Member • Posts: 237
Re: Olympus kit lens question

Chuck Bagdade wrote:

The zoom ring is wide, and marked with the range of focal lengths.

Then it's not the 14-42 EZ.

OK, now that we know that the question is why powering the lens makes the focus ring bind. Something in the mechanism that detects the ring is rotating is binding when powered on. Best I can tell you is it's broken...I owned that lens and the focus ring never acted like that.

baxters Veteran Member • Posts: 5,273
Re: Olympus kit lens question

I still own both versions of that lens. The black one is the "L" model and came with my EPL1 in 2010. The silver one is is the R model, and came with my EPM1.

Both work the same way. In "MF" mode, spinning the front focus rings kicks the display into 10X mode and I can focus. In "SAF-MF" mode, the camera still focuses automatically, and spinning the ring kicks it into MF mode with the 10X screen.

Congrats on the EPL1. Still a useable camera in 2021. The IS is broken on mine. I've read about how to fix it, but I lose too many screws these days.

 baxters's gear list:baxters's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8
OP Chuck Bagdade Regular Member • Posts: 220
Re: Olympus kit lens question

baxters wrote:

I still own both versions of that lens. The black one is the "L" model and came with my EPL1 in 2010. The silver one is is the R model, and came with my EPM1.

Both work the same way. In "MF" mode, spinning the front focus rings kicks the display into 10X mode and I can focus. In "SAF-MF" mode, the camera still focuses automatically, and spinning the ring kicks it into MF mode with the 10X screen.

Congrats on the EPL1. Still a useable camera in 2021. The IS is broken on mine. I've read about how to fix it, but I lose too many screws these days.

The black one is, indeed, what I have. I suppose I can live with AF only for this one lens if I have to. As I stated previously, the tele zoom lens focuses manually just fine.

Chuck

-- hide signature --

Chuck

baxters Veteran Member • Posts: 5,273
Re: Olympus kit lens question

I never had much reason to use manual focus on the kit 14-42. With the 40-150 zoom, sometimes I would focus and leave it in MF so that the lens wouldn't be hunting.

If you like manual focus, and have access to old SLR film lenses, you can use them on the EPL1 with a inexpensive M43 adapter. This is a 50mm Konica lens I got for 5 dollars, plus an Konica-M43 adapter that costs about $13 today. Focuses very well on the EPL1.
Most shorter film focal lengths, like 28mm etc, were not that good when new, so they don't work well adapted to M43.

 baxters's gear list:baxters's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8
Eric Nepean
Eric Nepean Veteran Member • Posts: 5,885
Re: Olympus kit lens question

Chuck Bagdade wrote:

baxters wrote:

I still own both versions of that lens. The black one is the "L" model and came with my EPL1 in 2010. The silver one is is the R model, and came with my EPM1.

Both work the same way. In "MF" mode, spinning the front focus rings kicks the display into 10X mode and I can focus. In "SAF-MF" mode, the camera still focuses automatically, and spinning the ring kicks it into MF mode with the 10X screen.

Congrats on the EPL1. Still a useable camera in 2021. The IS is broken on mine. I've read about how to fix it, but I lose too many screws these days.

The black one is, indeed, what I have. I suppose I can live with AF only for this one lens if I have to. As I stated previously, the tele zoom lens focuses manually just fine.

Chuck

In a previous post you said

Chuck Bagdade wrote:

It's not jammed. When I turn the focusing ring a little, it quickly returns to its original position- by power.

SInce it returns to its original position by power its very likely not a mechanical malfunction.

You can double check this by shutting off the camera and then turning the focus ring - if it doesn't jam and doesn't return, then its not mechanical.

I can see possibilities that you are observing behaviour controlled by camera settings

1) Are you by chance using S-AF+MF instead of MF mode? If the former, the camera will still Autofocus when you half press the shutter button.

2) The function Reset Lens "When set to [ON], resets the focus of the lens (infinity) each time the power is turned off"- is it possible that the lens is loosing power when you move the lens? If so, unsetting this should cure the behaviour

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Eric

 Eric Nepean's gear list:Eric Nepean's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 +62 more
OP Chuck Bagdade Regular Member • Posts: 220
Re: Olympus kit lens question

Eric Nepean wrote:

Chuck Bagdade wrote:

baxters wrote:

I still own both versions of that lens. The black one is the "L" model and came with my EPL1 in 2010. The silver one is is the R model, and came with my EPM1.

Both work the same way. In "MF" mode, spinning the front focus rings kicks the display into 10X mode and I can focus. In "SAF-MF" mode, the camera still focuses automatically, and spinning the ring kicks it into MF mode with the 10X screen.

Congrats on the EPL1. Still a useable camera in 2021. The IS is broken on mine. I've read about how to fix it, but I lose too many screws these days.

The black one is, indeed, what I have. I suppose I can live with AF only for this one lens if I have to. As I stated previously, the tele zoom lens focuses manually just fine.

Chuck

In a previous post you said

Chuck Bagdade wrote:

It's not jammed. When I turn the focusing ring a little, it quickly returns to its original position- by power.

SInce it returns to its original position by power its very likely not a mechanical malfunction.

You can double check this by shutting off the camera and then turning the focus ring - if it doesn't jam and doesn't return, then its not mechanical.

I can see possibilities that you are observing behaviour controlled by camera settings

1) Are you by chance using S-AF+MF instead of MF mode? If the former, the camera will still Autofocus when you half press the shutter button.

2) The function Reset Lens "When set to [ON], resets the focus of the lens (infinity) each time the power is turned off"- is it possible that the lens is loosing power when you move the lens? If so, unsetting this should cure the behaviour

Thanks to Eric, Baxters, and all others who have been so very helpful. I hope I can return your kindness in the future.

-- hide signature --

Chuck

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads