A trip to the museum

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
André BARELIER
André BARELIER Forum Pro • Posts: 10,729
A trip to the museum

I visited an exhibition presenting works by Jeff Koons, associated with elements belonging to the Musée des Civilisations et de la Méditerrannée (MUCEM), in Marseille (France)
I already knew Jeff Koons, having seen some of his works in exhibitions. Let's say it right away: I don't like his work at all.
That's why I didn't take any pictures of his works.
On the other hand, I discovered a certain number of objects belonging to the museum, which are testimonies of the past, that I found interesting.

The MUCEM (one of the main tourist attractions of Marseille)

View of the façade, with the reflections of the buildings in front

This is a wedding cake (well, a reproduction... ). Impressive...

These are figurines that were seen on children's rides

View from the other side

If you went to Paris, maybe you've seen these strange machines, which allow to create music from perforated cardboard strips. Sorry, the picture is a bit blurred.

These trees are made with thousands of origami, the making of which has helped finance a humanitarian project

A closer view, which gives an abstract effect

Next door was a photo exhibit infinitely more interesting than Jeff Koons' work.

But I don't like to post pictures of pictures.

All in all, an interesting exhibition.

-- hide signature --

André

André BARELIER's gear list:André BARELIER's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D3300 +10 more
RichDitch
RichDitch Contributing Member • Posts: 979
Re: A trip to the museum

Fascinating. Thanks for the tour, although I would have liked to see an example of the stuff you don't like!

-- hide signature --

You can see a lot just by looking.
WSSA #449

misterodd
misterodd Senior Member • Posts: 1,507

Andre,

Thanks for inviting us into your world of art exhibitions and museums.  An interesting story and set of photos.  I enjoyed it!  Glad to know that you are getting out there and checking out the goods on display  when you can.

As for Jeff Koons, along with many of his contemporaries and predecessors of the last few decades, well, I dislike, too.  For the most part, the works of these post world war II painters and sculptors lack a certain something or quality; a certain resonance is absent.  These types of works lack gravitas, in my opinion, which makes them too frivolous in my eyes.  And for me, there is almost nothing worse than the glorification of cheap, commercial art in a society where everything, as well as every thing, has long since been commodified.

My apologies!  I know this is a camera gear forum and not a space where discussions of the theories of art and aesthetics take place.

-- hide signature --

Box Man

misterodd's gear list:misterodd's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J2 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 J3 Nikon 1 V3 +15 more
RichDitch

RichDitch wrote:

Fascinating. Thanks for the tour, although I would have liked to see an example of the stuff you don't like!

I took the liberty of googling Jeff Koons to see his "Work" and I have to agree that I do not care at all for any of it.

-- hide signature --

WSSA #449

André BARELIER
OP André BARELIER Forum Pro • Posts: 10,729

misterodd wrote:

Andre,

Thanks for inviting us into your world of art exhibitions and museums. An interesting story and set of photos. I enjoyed it! Glad to know that you are getting out there and checking out the goods on display when you can.

As for Jeff Koons, along with many of his contemporaries and predecessors of the last few decades, well, I dislike, too. For the most part, the works of these post world war II painters and sculptors lack a certain something or quality; a certain resonance is absent. These types of works lack gravitas, in my opinion, which makes them too frivolous in my eyes. And for me, there is almost nothing worse than the glorification of cheap, commercial art in a society where everything, as well as every thing, has long since been commodified.

My apologies! I know this is a camera gear forum and not a space where discussions of the theories of art and aesthetics take place.

No need to apologize. This is a gear forum, but frequented by nice people, with whom, fortunately, we can discuss something other than photography.

BTW, while, for the most, I agree with what you wrote about post world war II artists, there are still some "young" artists that are able to move me to the highest point.

But they are few in number...

-- hide signature --

André

Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D3300 +10 more
André BARELIER

RichDitch wrote:

RichDitch wrote:

I took the liberty of googling Jeff Koons to see his "Work" and I have to agree that I do not care at all for any of it.

He has a real know-how, but it is not enough to be an artist.

Here are two works I photographed in another exhibition, with my P7800.

Glitter and emptiness...

-- hide signature --

André

Miss tilly
Miss tilly Senior Member • Posts: 1,735

You always get the best out of the P7800, I never could, thanks for posting

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Gary

Paul Pasco
Paul Pasco Veteran Member • Posts: 8,841

The museum looks very interesting as do some of the buildings around it. I had to look up the Koons fellow and I have seen the giant balloon animals before and thought that while they are an interesting engineering problem, I don’t see them as art. I feel the person that makes original ballon animals and objects is more of an artist. 😉

-- hide signature --

Regards, Paul
Lili's Dad
WSSA Member #450

Paul Pasco's gear list:Paul Pasco's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 Nikon D50 Nikon D3 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 +26 more
Paul Pasco
Paul Pasco Veteran Member • Posts: 8,841

misterodd wrote:

Andre,

Thanks for inviting us into your world of art exhibitions and museums. An interesting story and set of photos. I enjoyed it! Glad to know that you are getting out there and checking out the goods on display when you can.

As for Jeff Koons, along with many of his contemporaries and predecessors of the last few decades, well, I dislike, too. For the most part, the works of these post world war II painters and sculptors lack a certain something or quality; a certain resonance is absent. These types of works lack gravitas, in my opinion, which makes them too frivolous in my eyes. And for me, there is almost nothing worse than the glorification of cheap, commercial art in a society where everything, as well as every thing, has long since been commodified.

My apologies! I know this is a camera gear forum and not a space where discussions of the theories of art and aesthetics take place.

As others have pointed out, our little group here is agreeable discussing things other than the machinery.

-- hide signature --

Box Man

-- hide signature --

Regards, Paul
Lili's Dad
WSSA Member #450

Paul Pasco's gear list:Paul Pasco's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 Nikon D50 Nikon D3 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 +26 more
André BARELIER

Miss tilly wrote:

You always get the best out of the P7800, I never could, thanks for posting

Thanks Gary. I haven't used it much lately, but when I look back at the pictures I've taken with it, I think it's quite a camera.

-- hide signature --

André

André BARELIER

Paul Pasco wrote:

The museum looks very interesting as do some of the buildings around it. I had to look up the Koons fellow and I have seen the giant balloon animals before and thought that while they are an interesting engineering problem, I don’t see them as art. I feel the person that makes original ballon animals and objects is more of an artist. 😉

Seems we agree, Paul. Koons is able to make some interesting stuff, but it never goes very far.

-- hide signature --

André

PORTRAIT
PORTRAIT Senior Member • Posts: 2,957

Nice and interesting pics Andre’!

I particularly like the outside of the unique Museum! As well how the J5 handled the indoor light situation;)

Thanks for sharing!

Marco

-- hide signature --

Photography= Art & Tech.
Marco Images© All Rights Reserved.
Please do not use them without prior permission.
https://photos.google.com/albums

PORTRAIT's gear list:PORTRAIT's gear list
Canon PowerShot A720 IS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Fujifilm XQ1 Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon 1 V1 +7 more
André BARELIER

PORTRAIT wrote:

Nice and interesting pics Andre’!

I particularly like the outside of the unique Museum! As well how the J5 handled the indoor light situation;)

Thanks for sharing!

Marco

Thank you Marco!

Yes, the J5 is impressive in low light. (But I shoot raw, and DxO PhotoLab Deep prime noise reduction: it helps a lot!).

-- hide signature --

André

rich_cx139 Senior Member • Posts: 2,305

Fascinating photos André as usual. I had refrained from replying because I know nothing about art at all.

The Origami ones make you want to visit that museum and look at them "in the flesh"

André BARELIER

rich_cx139 wrote:

Fascinating photos André as usual. I had refrained from replying because I know nothing about art at all.

The Origami ones make you want to visit that museum and look at them "in the flesh"

Thank you Rich,

I don't know much either, but it doesn't matter. You can like or dislike certain works, even if you know nothing about them.

On the other hand, some works require a minimum of information to be appreciated.

For example these are two faces, by a painter called Jawlensky. I find them fascinating, especially the second. But there was maybe 50 paintings of faces by this painter in the exhibition, and it's the evolution which is interesting: how far can we go to represent a face?

I understand that one can find this totally uninteresting.

The Origami trees is a temporary exhibition. Hurry up, if you want to see these trees in the flesh!

-- hide signature --

André

RichDitch

André BARELIER wrote:

rich_cx139 wrote:

Thank you Rich,

I don't know much either, but it doesn't matter. You can like or dislike certain works, even if you know nothing about them.

On the other hand, some works require a minimum of information to be appreciated.

For example these are two faces, by a painter called Jawlensky. I find them fascinating, especially the second. But there was maybe 50 paintings of faces by this painter in the exhibition, and it's the evolution which is interesting: how far can we go to represent a face?

I understand that one can find this totally uninteresting.

The Origami trees is a temporary exhibition. Hurry up, if you want to see these trees in the flesh!

I like both of these - thanks for posting them. My immediate thought on the first one was "face" before I read your comments, but didn't see the second one that way until reading your note but now it jumps out at me as well.

-- hide signature --

WSSA #449

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads