Capture One - latest update

Started Jul 19, 2021 | Discussions
Zeee Forum Pro • Posts: 23,842
Re: Capture One - latest update

jfriend00 wrote:

Zeee wrote:

Well I have a choice to un-subscribe which I would do in a heart beat if Adobe ever ticks me off.

And, if you do un-subscribe, then you can no longer modify the edits in your existing library. You'd have to either start over from the RAW in a new editor or export a JPEG/TIFF to open in a new editor. This is one of the challenges with parametric RAW editing as the parametric adjustments are not directly transferrable to another editor without rendering them to JPEG/TIFF first (they are mostly proprietary).

That may or may not bother you, but it definitely bothers me which is why I prefer perpetual licenses so I can keep using the software I have (for at least my existing edits) as long as it still runs, even if the company goes in a direction I don't like or raises prices or whatever.

I’d have no issue with that. I still could export all my edited files if I wish. If I want to re-edit a one I’d just use the other developer. It won’t effect LR edits.

Zeee's gear list:Zeee's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM +1 more
Van Griff Senior Member • Posts: 1,849

jfriend00 wrote:

Van Griff wrote:

IanYorke wrote:

contadorfan wrote:

I don't want to cause no fuss,

but can I buy your Magic Brush

😀

It sounds like an auto selection brush mask,which is a relatively big feature update in a point release of the software. Unless it's just advance marketing for the next major version release in September /October.

Ian

Ian

I have CAPTURE ONE 20 NIKON.

CAPTURE ONE has a 40% upgrade discount available for C121N which would put my cost at CA$194 CA$116.40 which is a pretty reasonable discount.

But if I wait until Black Friday sales in NOV I will probably get a similar discount for 22 . . . perhaps even better . . . and two full upgrades from 20 to 22.

So thinking I should wait until NOV Bl Fri sales . . . or is there any advantage to upgrading to 21 now . . . like a super discount on 22 when it comes out??? . . . I wouldn't think so as I would ultimately be paying for two full upgrades and double the cost if I upgrade now to 21 and in NOV to 22 . . . although perhaps I do 21 now and forget about 22 in NOV???

Sheeesh . . . going round in circles here trying to outthink myself!!!

Best,

V G

J

You are trying to outthink yourself.

Yup!

I personally wouldn't wait to upgrade to v21 until later this year trying to get an even better deal. Either upgrade now so you can enjoy it's features immediately (if your workflow would benefit from the new features) or wait until v22 early next year. It seems to me that the worst deal is to upgrade near the end of the product cycle when a new version will be coming out in 3 months.

Yes . . . great point . . . totally agree . . . upgrading now is probably bad timing!

When the new version comes out, I generally make a decision in the first few months after it comes out whether I'm going to want it or not and I pull the trigger on purchasing either when I have some major photo event coming up that I want the new features for or when I see a deal. There are indeed sometimes deals (I bought C20 on a deal and upgraded to 21 on a deal), but I don't think they're entirely predictable when or what they will be so it's hard to plan on them.

Good points . . . great commentary!

I am going to wait until Bl Fri in NOV and then see what 22 brings and what the best upgrades available are . . . hopefully 22.

Thanks for your input . . . greatly appreciated!

Best,

V G

Van Griff's gear list:Van Griff's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +35 more
Jestertheclown
Jestertheclown Veteran Member • Posts: 3,839

jfriend00 wrote:

I personally wouldn't wait to upgrade to v21 until later this year trying to get an even better deal. Either upgrade now so you can enjoy it's features immediately (if your workflow would benefit from the new features) or wait until v22 early next year.

I think you'll find that Capture One traditionally releases its newest version, in this case, V22, in September/October.

"It's good to be . . . . . . . . . Me!"

Jestertheclown wrote:

jfriend00 wrote:

I personally wouldn't wait to upgrade to v21 until later this year trying to get an even better deal. Either upgrade now so you can enjoy it's features immediately (if your workflow would benefit from the new features) or wait until v22 early next year.

I think you'll find that Capture One traditionally releases its newest version, in this case, V22, in September/October.

jtc

Yes . . . that seems to be the general consensus of opinion.

Thanks for the input!

Best,

V G

Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +35 more

Jestertheclown wrote:

jfriend00 wrote:

It will be Oct 31 or Nov 1.

Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM +1 more

Zeee wrote:

Jestertheclown wrote:

jfriend00 wrote:

Z

Thank you for the info!

Best,

V G

Van Griff wrote:

Zeee wrote:

Jestertheclown wrote:

jfriend00 wrote:

Z

Thank you for the info!

Best,

V G

That’s been the cycle (based on history) last time looked it up.  Not sure if that will change. DXO PL is pretty much around the same time.

Zeee wrote:

Van Griff wrote:

Zeee wrote:

Jestertheclown wrote:

jfriend00 wrote:

Z

Thank you for the info!

Best,

V G

That’s been the cycle (based on history) last time looked it up. Not sure if that will change. DXO PL is pretty much around the same time.

Z

Thank you sir!

Best,

V G

jfriend00 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,301

Jestertheclown wrote:

jfriend00 wrote:

I stand corrected on the timing.  I think it's probably early the following year when "upgrade deals" might become available - at least that's what I saw this last cycle.

-- hide signature --

John

jfriend00's gear list:jfriend00's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 +2 more
Robgo2 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,481

Zeee wrote:

Jestertheclown wrote:

jfriend00 wrote:

I'm trying to think of what new features or improvements to existing features I would want in C1-22, and the thing that comes to the top of my mind is noise reduction on a level with DxO's Deep Prime. Otherwise, I'm quite happy with v21 as it is, although I'm certain that other users can think of many more potential improvements.

Robgo2 wrote:

Zeee wrote:

Jestertheclown wrote:

jfriend00 wrote:

I'm trying to think of what new features or improvements to existing features I would want in C1-22, and the thing that comes to the top of my mind is noise reduction on a level with DxO's Deep Prime. Otherwise, I'm quite happy with v21 as it is, although I'm certain that other users can think of many more potential improvements.

I don't have it. I've tested it a few times. A few years agop I was interested about several software annual upgrade cycles so I looked them up.

Pixel8888 Contributing Member • Posts: 754

The Pre-order and save 20% promo was around October 25.

BF was 30% off

The release was around  December 08th.

Jestertheclown

Zeee wrote:

Van Griff wrote:

Zeee wrote:

Jestertheclown wrote:

jfriend00 wrote:

Z

Thank you for the info!

Best,

V G

That’s been the cycle (based on history) last time looked it up. Not sure if that will change. DXO PL is pretty much around the same time.

I think we might all be mistaken.

Version 21 was released on Dec. 8th. 2020(ish!)

Jestertheclown

contadorfan wrote:

Which means a sluggish computer & the fan revving up.

Some good news (perhaps?)

Could there be more to this update than just a shiny new interface?

I've just  processed and exported two hundred and something images that I shot on Saturday; Z7, so fair sized files and although it still took a while, it seemed to be stress free.

No roaring fans, task manager indicated moderate use of everything and I was able to carry on with other things without having to wait for the machine to catch up.

I suppose I shouldn't hold my breath but there was a definite improvement in performance.

Jestertheclown wrote:

Zeee wrote:

Van Griff wrote:

Zeee wrote:

Jestertheclown wrote:

jfriend00 wrote:

Z

Thank you for the info!

Best,

V G

I think we might all be mistaken.

Version 21 was released on Dec. 8th. 2020(ish!)

Wow. They really threw me off . I knew it would not be Sept or early October.

jfriend00 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,301

Robgo2 wrote:

Zeee wrote:

Jestertheclown wrote:

jfriend00 wrote:

I'm not holding my breath for this, but I'd like integrated pano merging from the RAWs like LR has that then produces something like a DNG that is still raw editable.  That would save me lots of steps in my C1 pano workflow, especially when I have multiple panos to build.

Right now, I have to do any major adjustments first on the RAWs, then export to 16-bit TIFFs, pano merge in PTGui, do any pano stretching or bending of edges in Affinity Photo, then import back into C1 and finish editing.  This could be a lot fewer steps with built-in pano merging.

-- hide signature --

John

jfriend00's gear list:jfriend00's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 +2 more
EtherialOne
EtherialOne Regular Member • Posts: 261

Zeee wrote:

jfriend00 wrote:

Glen Barrington wrote:

While neither of these subscription programs are perfect, there are 2 software publishers that are at least on the right track. They are Topaz, and ACDSee Systems.

Topaz sells a service contract and upgrade service. You subscribe to ongoing upgrades and service but own the permanent license in effect at the time you quit the subscription. This is similar to what IBM, Microsoft, and other industrial software businesses offer to their business clients.

Very interesting - that makes so much sense. If Adobe had offered it like that, I would be a Lightroom subscriber now. But, instead, I moved from LR6 perpetual to Capture One perpetual where I get to keep using my current version of software for as long as it still runs.

The one bugaboo in that process is that you probably need to initially subscribe for a minimum term so you can't walk away with the current version of software for the cost of one month's subscription.

It’s great until a new camera is released. If your annual subscription payment runs out you can still use it but it useless until you pay for the upgrade for the RAW support.
Also you miss the updates throughout the year. One example is the latest Denoise 3.2 which improved colour accuracy. They also tweak to reduce artifacts, etc

I’d be curious to know how many people actually don’t pay to renew every year to stay current. Don’t know about everyone else but I have always liked to have the latest.

Personally I'm not one to upgrade every time a new release comes out, or one to Subscribe and be Gouged monthly. I think really it depends on your intended use and frequency of use.

Since I'm not a "Professional" and using it to make money where anything that can streamline or improve the process equates to $$$, and like many other amateur Shutterbugs there are times when I'm heavily using it and other times when I'm pursuing other Hobbies etc. Spending the money for the latest and greatest just doesn't make sense or paying a monthly bill when some months I won't use the product.

That's one thing that perplexes me about some companies who are doing everything to force people into subscriptions. It may be good for the short term bottom line, but they are losing a good bit of revenue from people like me who will buy software and upgrade when needed or enough benefit exists to do so... To me I'm thinking that part a part of the "Why" also has to do with Having to ADD ENOUGH VALUE to their products to entice people to purchase the upgrade vs. people being basically blackmailed because if they drop their subscription they lose all of their past efforts or at least access to it. Maybe that's the wrong thought process, but for me at least while I don't mind paying for a quality product If I can't own a copy for long term use then it's an automatic No-Go.

EtherialOne's gear list:EtherialOne's gear list
Nikon D7100 Olympus TG-830 iHS Sony RX10 III Nikon 1 J1 Nikon 1 V2 +23 more
Reilly Diefenbach
Reilly Diefenbach Forum Pro • Posts: 14,602

EtherialOne wrote:

Personally I'm not one to upgrade every time a new release comes out, or one to Subscribe and be Gouged monthly.

I think really it depends on your intended use and frequency of use.

Since I'm not a "Professional" and using it to make money where anything that can streamline or improve the process equates to $$$, and like many other amateur Shutterbugs there are times when I'm heavily using it and other times when I'm pursuing other Hobbies etc. Spending the money for the latest and greatest just doesn't make sense or paying a monthly bill when some months I won't use the product.

That's one thing that perplexes me about some companies who are doing everything to force people into subscriptions. It may be good for the short term bottom line, but they are losing a good bit of revenue

from people like me who will buy software and upgrade when needed or enough benefit exists to do so... To me I'm thinking that part a part of the "Why" also has to do with Having to ADD ENOUGH VALUE to their products to entice people to purchase the upgrade vs. people being basically blackmailed

because if they drop their subscription they lose all of their past efforts or at least access to it.

4.  Congratulations, you've hit the quadfecta!

Maybe that's the wrong thought process,

Ya think?

but for me at least while I don't mind paying for a quality product

If I can't own a copy for long term use then it's an automatic No-Go.

28 items on your gear list but you won't spring for the difference between the software you're using now and 10 bucks a month for the best?

Reilly Diefenbach's gear list:Reilly Diefenbach's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads