Capture One - latest update

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
jimhughes
jimhughes Senior Member • Posts: 1,841
Re: Capture One - latest update

Is it worth $199 to me to finally  be able to overwrite that JPG on export... like any other software of the last 20 years?

-- hide signature --

www.jimhphoto.com

fitzrovian Forum Member • Posts: 88

I gave up on this price-gauging product and moved to PhotoLab.

fitzrovian's gear list:fitzrovian's gear list
Ricoh GR III Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 45mm F1.2 Pro +1 more
Dweeble Contributing Member • Posts: 769

IanYorke wrote:

Is GIMP a raw converter? I thought it was a pixel editor.

Ian

It can convert Raw through darktable plugins but in fairness I prefer to convert in NX Studio or DT depending on how much work needs to be done (I hate wasting space on TIFFS) and then go to the GIMP.

Dweeble's gear list:Dweeble's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +3 more
OP IanYorke Veteran Member • Posts: 4,887

jimhughes wrote:

Is it worth $199 to me to finally be able to overwrite that JPG on export... like any other software of the last 20 years?

It was a long standing, really annoying, unnecessary friction imposed on the user for no "reason" other than some developers personal preference.

That this has finally changed says more than any amount of PR bull. It certainly demonstrates positive change within the organisation and I think it bodes well for the future.

A brief play with the "magic brush" looks very positive and further enhances C1's already excellent masking capabilities and coming for free, if you have V21 is a bonus.

Ian

fitzrovian wrote:

I gave up on this price-gauging product and moved to PhotoLab.

C1 is certainly not a "budget" item and DXO-Photolab is a good alternative and I use it when C1 does not support a camera or fir high ISO images etc. For me C1 is worth it but software is a very personal choice and C1 "fits" me.

Ian

jimhughes

IanYorke wrote:

jimhughes wrote:

Is it worth $199 to me to finally be able to overwrite that JPG on export... like any other software of the last 20 years?

It was a long standing, really annoying, unnecessary friction imposed on the user for no "reason" other than some developers personal preference.

That this has finally changed says more than any amount of PR bull. It certainly demonstrates positive change within the organisation and I think it bodes well for the future.

A brief play with the "magic brush" looks very positive and further enhances C1's already excellent masking capabilities and coming for free, if you have V21 is a bonus.

Ian

I might go for it. But the price seems really high for what's in the release.

-- hide signature --

www.jimhphoto.com

jimhughes wrote:

IanYorke wrote:

jimhughes wrote:

Ian

I already posted this in the thread but if you add up what is in V21 compared to V20 it's quite significant.

The new Dehaze tool

Magic Brush

Speed Edit

Style Brushes

Reworked import and export

ProStandard camera profiles

Show images in subfolders

Synchronize new subfolders

Overwrite existing files on export

Apple M1 Native Support

Leica tethering support

HEIF support

The Increased 1600% Zoom

For me the Dehaze tool, Magic brush, Speed Edit and Style Brushes are well worth the upgrade but everyone is different.

Ian

Jestertheclown
Jestertheclown Veteran Member • Posts: 3,754

contadorfan wrote:

Uh oh, not liking the new Export tab.

First of all I like putting the tools on the right side to consolidate the most used features between tool bar & tabs without having to jump all over the screen to click on things. It minimizes mouse movement (I'm getting repetitive use issues) & keeps the cursor from crossing into the big picture too often.

I feel your pain.

I too have the tools placed on the right. I'll get used to this new window, of course but I would like the option to move it around.

I used to add the Process icon to the tool bar

Same here. At the moment, I'm missing it!

or add it to the Quick tab. When I finished editing a raw file, I'd Process the file, sending it the resulting jpeg to the source file. This meant processing one file at a time, but that way I never overwhelmed my computer. It only took, at most, 15 seconds to process a file, and I could move on to the next raw to decide what edits it needed while the previous file processed. Accessing the Process icons were quick & easy, and my computer didn't rev up, choking on processing a bunch of files.

Now that option is gone. The only option is to click on the Export tab waaaaay up in the left corner (or a 3 finger key combo). I don't think I want to do that for single files every time they need processing. Which means I have to batch process/export.

I almost always process and export as a batch so for me that's not an issue but I need to get used to pressing "Export" instead of "Process."

So far, I've only tried it a couple of times. I'm sure it'll come.

Which means a sluggish computer & the fan revving up.

I always get that, and it can be annoying. Unfortunately, my computer copes with just about everything else that I throw at it pretty well so I can't really justify a replacement just because of C1!

Admittedly, I haven't tried exporting batches of files yet. Maybe it won't be so bad. But I'm not optimistic, and I miss my old work habit already. Wish I could at least drag the Export icon over to the right instead of clicking on the upper left to open, then clicking on the lower right to complete. Inefficient ergonomics.

"It's good to be . . . . . . . . . Me!"

contadorfan Senior Member • Posts: 2,573

Jestertheclown wrote:

I always get that, and it can be annoying. Unfortunately, my computer copes with just about everything else that I throw at it pretty well so I can't really justify a replacement just because of C1!

I believe it's because of my weak GPU, correct me if I'm wrong. I have a small form factor computer with plenty of power, but only 2GB for the GPU. I don't have room for a bigger, more powerful GPU, unfortunately.

-- hide signature --

"Never let good clouds go to waste." -- Margaret Bourke-White

contadorfan's gear list:contadorfan's gear list
Canon ELPH 115 IS Sony a99 II
Jestertheclown

contadorfan wrote:

Jestertheclown wrote:

I believe it's because of my weak GPU, correct me if I'm wrong.

You're probably right.

I have a small form factor computer with plenty of power, but only 2GB for the GPU. I don't have room for a more powerful GPU, unfortunately.

I'm using an old Dell with an i7 and 16gb. of RAM but the GPU's nothing special. I could instal a more powerful one but I object to the expense and given that Capture One's the only thing that's a bit slow, I'm prepared, at least for the time being, to live with it.

jimhughes

IanYorke wrote:

jimhughes wrote:

IanYorke wrote:

jimhughes wrote:

Ian

I already posted this in the thread but if you add up what is in V21 compared to V20 it's quite significant.

The new Dehaze tool

Magic Brush

Speed Edit

Style Brushes

Reworked import and export

ProStandard camera profiles

Show images in subfolders

Synchronize new subfolders

Overwrite existing files on export

Apple M1 Native Support

Leica tethering support

HEIF support

The Increased 1600% Zoom

For me the Dehaze tool, Magic brush, Speed Edit and Style Brushes are well worth the upgrade but everyone is different.

Ian

I'd use dehaze. And I'd use the magic brush IF it works really well.  Most such masking tools have disappointed me.

-- hide signature --

www.jimhphoto.com

Jestertheclown wrote:

I could instal a more powerful one but I object to the expense

And hard to find too! My son decided to join the bitmining world, and told me about how he'd been scouring Craigslist, eBay, & computer parts merchants for a decently powered GPU that didn't cost a fortune. He saw some pop up in a store's in store inventory, and waited, third in line, at 6 am for the store to open. He got one of 3 offered & was so proud of himself for nabbing one.

p.s., I was reading about the new graphene chips: faster, less heat produced.  Maybe in a year or two I can buy a small, more powerful graphene GPU that doesn't need 2 fans.

-- hide signature --

maltmoose Senior Member • Posts: 2,611

Jestertheclown wrote:

contadorfan wrote:

First of all I like putting the tools on the right side to consolidate the most used features between tool bar & tabs without having to jump all over the screen to click on things. It minimizes mouse movement (I'm getting repetitive use issues) & keeps the cursor from crossing into the big picture too often.

I feel your pain.

I too have the tools placed on the right. I'll get used to this new window, of course but I would like the option to move it around.

or add it to the Quick tab. When I finished editing a raw file, I'd Process the file, sending it the resulting jpeg to the source file. This meant processing one file at a time, but that way I never overwhelmed my computer. It only took, at most, 15 seconds to process a file, and I could move on to the next raw to decide what edits it needed while the previous file processed. Accessing the Process icons were quick & easy, and my computer didn't rev up, choking on processing a bunch of files.

Now that option is gone. The only option is to click on the Export tab waaaaay up in the left corner (or a 3 finger key combo). I don't think I want to do that for single files every time they need processing. Which means I have to batch process/export.

I almost always process and export as a batch so for me that's not an issue but I need to get used to pressing "Export" instead of "Process."

Admittedly, I haven't tried exporting batches of files yet. Maybe it won't be so bad. But I'm not optimistic, and I miss my old work habit already. Wish I could at least drag the Export icon over to the right instead of clicking on the upper left to open, then clicking on the lower right to complete. Inefficient ergonomics.

Not sure i quite follow all this.

Dont forget to save and load your workspaces as needed, mine was mostly the same after the upgrade.

You can always add the open export dialog to the tool bar on the right. If you right click on it you can export with previous settings or ctrl+D and it just exports without opening the export dialog.

Its not all rosy with the export dialog though. I'm sure there used to be a copyright option in the export section? Still reviewing some bits.

magic brush works very well.

I noticed a bug with the stacked styles not stacking and unstacking correctly initially from a previous version styles.

jimhughes wrote:

I'd use dehaze. And I'd use the magic brush IF it works really well. Most such masking tools have disappointed me.

Dehaze is ok, a little hamhanded in its effects.  I used it on some hazy landscapes.  I like ACDSee's better though.

The style brushes are nice time savers: I like the burn, dodge, contrast, & Add Detail brushes for improvements on the fly.  The Whiten Teeth brush is something I will definitely use.

-- hide signature --

Jestertheclown

maltmoose wrote:

Jestertheclown wrote:

contadorfan wrote:

I feel your pain.

Dont forget to save and load your workspaces as needed, mine was mostly the same after the upgrade.

Yes. Mine is unchanged.

You can always add the open export dialog to the tool bar on the right.

How do I do that? I can't see that as an option anywhere. Actually, I'd quite like the "Process" button back up there as well.

If you right click on it you can export with previous settings or ctrl+D and it just exports without opening the export dialog.

Yes but that's not the way that I want do it.

Its not all rosy with the export dialog though. I'm sure there used to be a copyright option in the export section?

Not sure about that. To be honest, I've never bothered with copyright tools.

Still reviewing some bits.

I noticed a bug with the stacked styles not stacking and unstacking correctly initially from a previous version styles.

Ah yes, Ctrl+D is an acceptable shortcut: the processing wheel spins on the toolbar, and the Export symbol appears over the thumbnail instead of the old Process gear.  Still miss having the Process icon to click on in my Quick tab.

-- hide signature --

maltmoose Senior Member • Posts: 2,611

Jestertheclown wrote:

maltmoose wrote:

Jestertheclown wrote:

contadorfan wrote:

I feel your pain.

Yes. Mine is unchanged.

You can always add the open export dialog to the tool bar on the right.

How do I do that? I can't see that as an option anywhere. Actually, I'd quite like the "Process" button back up there as well.

Right click on the top toolbar where the menus and icons are and choose customise.

Then you can add the export dialog box button. (ive moved mine to the far right)

There is no process button now but you can right click the export dialog box button instead. no need to open the export dialog box once setup. hope that makes sense.

If you right click on it you can export with previous settings or ctrl+D and it just exports without opening the export dialog.

Yes but that's not the way that I want do it.

better get used to it now its really no bother once setup.

Its not all rosy with the export dialog though. I'm sure there used to be a copyright option in the export section?

Not sure about that. To be honest, I've never bothered with copyright tools.

Still reviewing some bits.

noisebeam Senior Member • Posts: 2,961

contadorfan wrote:

I used to add the Process icon to the tool bar or add it to the Quick tab.

I have the export icon on the top right so I can click to process as well as in th quick tab so I can toggle between three most commonly used recipes.

But I mostly now use the 'Insert' key to process an image.  Hopefully that still works...

noisebeam's gear list:noisebeam's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 30D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM +8 more

maltmoose wrote:

Oh!   I didn't know that you could drag it to the right. Thanks so much for posting this, that tip & the Ctrl+D tip makes things much, much better!

-- hide signature --

jfriend00 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,267

Glen Barrington wrote:

While neither of these subscription programs are perfect, there are 2 software publishers that are at least on the right track. They are Topaz, and ACDSee Systems.

Topaz sells a service contract and upgrade service. You subscribe to ongoing upgrades and service but own the permanent license in effect at the time you quit the subscription. This is similar to what IBM, Microsoft, and other industrial software businesses offer to their business clients.

Very interesting - that makes so much sense.  If Adobe had offered it like that, I would be a Lightroom subscriber now.  But, instead, I moved from LR6 perpetual to Capture One perpetual where I get to keep using my current version of software for as long as it still runs.

The one bugaboo in that process is that you probably need to initially subscribe for a minimum term so you can't walk away with the current version of software for the cost of one month's subscription.

-- hide signature --

John

jfriend00's gear list:jfriend00's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon Z7 II Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads