Capture One - latest update

Started Jul 19, 2021 | Discussions
IanYorke Veteran Member • Posts: 4,934
Capture One - latest update
1

Email promoting webinar for latest C1 update arrived today. Mentions "magic brush". Anyone know what this is? We will find out on 22nd but???

Ian

contadorfan Senior Member • Posts: 2,573
Re: Capture One - latest update
2

I don't want to cause no fuss,

but can I buy your Magic Brush

-- hide signature --

"Never let good clouds go to waste." -- Margaret Bourke-White

 contadorfan's gear list:contadorfan's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 115 IS Sony a99 II
OP IanYorke Veteran Member • Posts: 4,934
Re: Capture One - latest update
2

contadorfan wrote:

I don't want to cause no fuss,

but can I buy your Magic Brush

😀

It sounds like an auto selection brush mask,which is a relatively big feature update in a point release of the software. Unless it's just advance marketing for the next major version release in September /October.

Ian

contadorfan Senior Member • Posts: 2,573
Re: Capture One - latest update

I just hope it will be worth the inevitable price increase    As for the new export module, I'm still trying to figure out what is the difference between the Process button (which converts a raw file to a jpeg, tiff, etc. with one's edit choices) and Export (which converts a raw file to a jpeg, tiff, etc. with one's edit choices).  Process I use after editing my pictures, sending the results to the source folder,  but I've never used Export.  There are probably other features that I use incorrectly too.

I actually like the Style brushes added to the most recent version of C1.  The incremental changes that are added to justify the upward price creep have turned out to be rather nice in total.

-- hide signature --

"Never let good clouds go to waste." -- Margaret Bourke-White

 contadorfan's gear list:contadorfan's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 115 IS Sony a99 II
Hustle76 Regular Member • Posts: 280
Re: Capture One - latest update

IanYorke wrote:

contadorfan wrote:

I don't want to cause no fuss,

but can I buy your Magic Brush

😀

It sounds like an auto selection brush mask,which is a relatively big feature update in a point release of the software. Unless it's just advance marketing for the next major version release in September /October.

Ian

In an interview, a little while ago, the new CEO said that the plan now is to release new features when they are ready to ship and provide updates with new features more regularly. Going from memory, I think he said that customers will start to see this relatively soon and they should expect to see this often after that.

Although, obviously, it could be said that it’s PR speak, companies say this all the time (and I do take things with a pinch of salt) saying something so publicly and not delivering yet isn’t good optics.

With both the subscription model and the perpetual license one, in order to drive revenue, it’s more tempting for punters if there are regular and useful updates. With the current big annual upgrade, Capture One have been offering a discounted upgrade before changes are known but that relies on customers making a buying decision that’s a something of a guess - and suspect there are quite a few who will hold off and update far less regularly and when they do, wait for the next big update. The subscription model is often very successful for companies but offering value is key - more frequent updates can obviously do that.

Speaking as a Capture One user, I’ve been able to justify pre-purchasing the next version blind and at a discount for the last couple of years (I think) because I was confident that there was something that I pretty much thought was a shoo-in (e.g. support for a particular) and that I needed. This year, that’s not the case it’s not a given that I will upgrade - so will be looking with interest!

OP IanYorke Veteran Member • Posts: 4,934
Re: Capture One - latest update

Hustle76 wrote:

IanYorke wrote:

contadorfan wrote:

I don't want to cause no fuss,

but can I buy your Magic Brush

😀

It sounds like an auto selection brush mask,which is a relatively big feature update in a point release of the software. Unless it's just advance marketing for the next major version release in September /October.

Ian

In an interview, a little while ago, the new CEO said that the plan now is to release new features when they are ready to ship and provide updates with new features more regularly. Going from memory, I think he said that customers will start to see this relatively soon and they should expect to see this often after that.

Although, obviously, it could be said that it’s PR speak, companies say this all the time (and I do take things with a pinch of salt) saying something so publicly and not delivering yet isn’t good optics.

With both the subscription model and the perpetual license one, in order to drive revenue, it’s more tempting for punters if there are regular and useful updates. With the current big annual upgrade, Capture One have been offering a discounted upgrade before changes are known but that relies on customers making a buying decision that’s a something of a guess - and suspect there are quite a few who will hold off and update far less regularly and when they do, wait for the next big update. The subscription model is often very successful for companies but offering value is key - more frequent updates can obviously do that.

Speaking as a Capture One user, I’ve been able to justify pre-purchasing the next version blind and at a discount for the last couple of years (I think) because I was confident that there was something that I pretty much thought was a shoo-in (e.g. support for a particular) and that I needed. This year, that’s not the case it’s not a given that I will upgrade - so will be looking with interest!

Interesting, that analysis makes a lot of sense and explains why they introduced style brushes in a point release. Good to see C1 professing, along similar lines Topaz give you one year of perpetual license updates irrespective of major version releases.

Sounds like a good policy the old big bang new version release is perhaps a little outdated.

The one update to C1 that would have me immediately handing over money is to be able to overwrite an output file:-)

Unbelievably, C1 is the only mainstream photo editing software that won't allow you to overwrite an existing file. Is there any software that won't allow this? This feature (basic necessity has been asked for "forever" on the C1 forums but the reply has been (paraphrasing) "it will be a cold day in hell before that happens"

However, we will see how "magic" the magic brush turns out to be

Ian

Glen Barrington
Glen Barrington Forum Pro • Posts: 22,432
Re: Capture One - latest update
8

Hustle76 wrote:

Speaking as a Capture One user, I’ve been able to justify pre-purchasing the next version blind and at a discount for the last couple of years (I think) because I was confident that there was something that I pretty much thought was a shoo-in (e.g. support for a particular) and that I needed. This year, that’s not the case it’s not a given that I will upgrade - so will be looking with interest!

The thing is, the Software publishers don't seem willing to trade a little bit of profit for a much more stable and PREDICTABLE income.  As a result, their subscription programs charge too much for too little.  The subscription service should be something that is either a "no-brainer", or attractive enough that a user must really THINK about the possibility of subscribing.  So far, most subscription plans seem to be nothing more than automated pre-payment purchase.

While neither of these subscription programs are perfect, there are 2 software publishers that are at least on the right track.  They are Topaz, and ACDSee Systems.

Topaz sells a service contract and upgrade service.   You subscribe to ongoing upgrades and service but own the permanent license in effect at the time you quit the subscription.  This is similar to what IBM, Microsoft, and other industrial software businesses offer to their business clients.

ACDSee offers a slightly more 'conventional' subscription service in that you never own a permanent license, BUT they offer virtually their entire software suite at one low price including Mac products.  This price is low enough, that if you want to use more than one ACDSee product, you have to think long and hard about not subscribing.

Also, one can use the PC products, and someone else could use the Mac products, making a cost sharing deal between users possible.

Like I said, neither of these company's programs are perfect, but they DO appear to understand the idea that users need to get something out of a subscription plan.

 Glen Barrington's gear list:Glen Barrington's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +11 more
myotisone Senior Member • Posts: 2,323
Re: Capture One - latest update

IanYorke wrote:

Email promoting webinar for latest C1 update arrived today. Mentions "magic brush". Anyone know what this is? We will find out on 22nd but???

Ian

The videos are now up to explain magic Brush

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAGN5IRR_U0

TonyGN10 Contributing Member • Posts: 525
Re: Capture One - latest update

IanYorke wrote:

Email promoting webinar for latest C1 update arrived today. Mentions "magic brush". Anyone know what this is? We will find out on 22nd but???

Ian

Just watched Paul Reiffer's "Pro Tips" video guide to the latest 14.3 updates - new Magic Brush, new Exporter and some (welcome) tweaks to Catalogue management - some good stuff I thought!

 TonyGN10's gear list:TonyGN10's gear list
Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 33mm F1.4 R LM WR +6 more
OP IanYorke Veteran Member • Posts: 4,934
Re: Capture One - latest update

TonyGN10 wrote:

IanYorke wrote:

Email promoting webinar for latest C1 update arrived today. Mentions "magic brush". Anyone know what this is? We will find out on 22nd but???

Ian

Just watched Paul Reiffer's "Pro Tips" video guide to the latest 14.3 updates - new Magic Brush, new Exporter and some (welcome) tweaks to Catalogue management - some good stuff I thought!

Just skimmed the video. Looks actually significant for a free point update. Hustle76's analysis seems to be spot on.

Ian

Pixel8888 Contributing Member • Posts: 751
Re: Capture One - latest update
myotisone Senior Member • Posts: 2,323
Re: Capture One - latest update

IanYorke wrote:

TonyGN10 wrote:

IanYorke wrote:

Email promoting webinar for latest C1 update arrived today. Mentions "magic brush". Anyone know what this is? We will find out on 22nd but???

Ian

Just watched Paul Reiffer's "Pro Tips" video guide to the latest 14.3 updates - new Magic Brush, new Exporter and some (welcome) tweaks to Catalogue management - some good stuff I thought!

Just skimmed the video. Looks actually significant for a free point update. Hustle76's analysis seems to be spot on.

Ian

We have actually had several significant updates at point releases over the years.

e,g, in Capture 20.1. Multiple clone and heal points to the same layer were added, as was the before and after feature.

And we have already had style brushes added to 21.

Historically, I think the colour wheel colour balance/grading tool was added at an interim release.

My impression is that C1 has often added new features at point releases, which is great for the user, but less good when it comes to marketing  a version number new release.

Of equal importance to me with this point release is that the catalogue now gives counts of files in sub-folders  and if you sync a catalogue it will automatically add any new folders into the catalogue  that you have added at the system level.

As I ingest files with Photo mechanic, it was a real pain to then manually add every new folder of files into a C1 catalogue, with LR you could just run a catalogue sync and everything would update. C1 now works the same way.

As it so happens I gave up on C1 catalogues a long time ago, but prompted by these long overdue features, I might give it another go.

AL_23 New Member • Posts: 15
Re: Capture One - latest update

>>The one update to C1 that would have me immediately handing over money is to be able to overwrite an output file:-)<<

Now you have it!

Dweeble Contributing Member • Posts: 776
Re: Capture One - latest update

myotisone wrote:

IanYorke wrote:

Email promoting webinar for latest C1 update arrived today. Mentions "magic brush". Anyone know what this is? We will find out on 22nd but???

Ian

The videos are now up to explain magic Brush

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAGN5IRR_U0

Blimey, totally underwhelmed....pretty well exactly the same as foreground select in GIMP which costs......zero.

 Dweeble's gear list:Dweeble's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +3 more
OP IanYorke Veteran Member • Posts: 4,934
Re: Capture One - latest update

AL_23 wrote:

>>The one update to C1 that would have me immediately handing over money is to be able to overwrite an output file:-)<<

Now you have it!

Actually I missed that when I skimmed the video, thanks.

Very surprised after all of these years of C1 totally ignoring users requests for a basic requirement. New management is obviously having an impact. As I have complained about this for years I will be upgrading in October/November just to say thank you

Ian

OP IanYorke Veteran Member • Posts: 4,934
Re: Capture One - latest update

Dweeble wrote:

myotisone wrote:

IanYorke wrote:

Email promoting webinar for latest C1 update arrived today. Mentions "magic brush". Anyone know what this is? We will find out on 22nd but???

Ian

The videos are now up to explain magic Brush

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAGN5IRR_U0

Blimey, totally underwhelmed....pretty well exactly the same as foreground select in GIMP which costs......zero.

Is GIMP a raw converter? I thought it was a pixel editor.

Ian

myotisone Senior Member • Posts: 2,323
Re: Capture One - latest update

IanYorke wrote:

AL_23 wrote:

>>The one update to C1 that would have me immediately handing over money is to be able to overwrite an output file:-)<<

Now you have it!

Actually I missed that when I skimmed the video, thanks.

Very surprised after all of these years of C1 totally ignoring users requests for a basic requirement. New management is obviously having an impact. As I have complained about this for years I will be upgrading in October/November just to say thank you

Ian

Actually, they haven't totally ignored it, and it's something that people within C1 have asked for, as well as customers (according to the c1 Q&As during tutorial videos) where it has been discussed a few times.

However, for "technical reasons" the engineering side argued it was very difficult/impossible to do.

I am guessing that as they seem to have been making some changes to the underlying code, and have a lot more Engineers/programmers than they have had before, this might be one of the benefits.

Edit: sorry got myself mixed up, it was being able to show the total count of files in subfolders I though I was writing about

OP IanYorke Veteran Member • Posts: 4,934
Re: Capture One - latest update

myotisone wrote:

IanYorke wrote:

TonyGN10 wrote:

IanYorke wrote:

Email promoting webinar for latest C1 update arrived today. Mentions "magic brush". Anyone know what this is? We will find out on 22nd but???

Ian

Just watched Paul Reiffer's "Pro Tips" video guide to the latest 14.3 updates - new Magic Brush, new Exporter and some (welcome) tweaks to Catalogue management - some good stuff I thought!

Just skimmed the video. Looks actually significant for a free point update. Hustle76's analysis seems to be spot on.

Ian

We have actually had several significant updates at point releases over the years.

e,g, in Capture 20.1. Multiple clone and heal points to the same layer were added, as was the before and after feature.

And we have already had style brushes added to 21.

Historically, I think the colour wheel colour balance/grading tool was added at an interim release.

My impression is that C1 has often added new features at point releases, which is great for the user, but less good when it comes to marketing a version number new release.

Of equal importance to me with this point release is that the catalogue now gives counts of files in sub-folders and if you sync a catalogue it will automatically add any new folders into the catalogue that you have added at the system level.

As I ingest files with Photo mechanic, it was a real pain to then manually add every new folder of files into a C1 catalogue, with LR you could just run a catalogue sync and everything would update. C1 now works the same way.

As it so happens I gave up on C1 catalogues a long time ago, but prompted by these long overdue features, I might give it another go.

Yes, I came across Alexonraw. com site where he lists the changes from V21

The new Dehaze tool

Magic Brush

Speed Edit

Style Brushes

Reworked import and export

ProStandard camera profiles

Show images in subfolders

Synchronize new subfolders

Overwrite existing files on export

Apple M1 Native Support

Leica tethering support

HEIF support

The Increased 1600% Zoom

Would have looked significant as a major version release. However, if they continue to deliver like this updating each year becomes easier.

Ian

myotisone Senior Member • Posts: 2,323
Re: Capture One - latest update

IanYorke wrote:

Yes, I came across Alexonraw. com site where he lists the changes from V21

The new Dehaze tool

Magic Brush

Speed Edit

Style Brushes

Reworked import and export

ProStandard camera profiles

Show images in subfolders

Synchronize new subfolders

Overwrite existing files on export

Apple M1 Native Support

Leica tethering support

HEIF support

The Increased 1600% Zoom

Would have looked significant as a major version release. However, if they continue to deliver like this updating each year becomes easier.

Ian

Yes, It's an expensive piece of software, but generally I am happy with the evolutionary upgrade approach.

contadorfan Senior Member • Posts: 2,573
Re: Capture One - latest update
2

Uh oh, not liking the new Export tab.

First of all I like putting the tools on the right side to consolidate the most used features between tool bar & tabs without having to jump all over the screen to click on things.  It minimizes mouse movement (I'm getting repetitive use issues) & keeps the cursor from crossing into the big picture too often.

I used to add the Process icon to the tool bar or add it to the Quick tab.  When I finished editing a raw file, I'd Process the file, sending it the resulting jpeg to the source file.  This meant processing one file at a time, but that way I never overwhelmed my computer. It only took, at most, 15 seconds to process a file, and I could move on to the next raw to decide what edits it needed while the previous file processed.  Accessing the Process icons were quick & easy, and my computer didn't rev up, choking on processing a bunch of files.

Now that option is gone. The only option is to click on the Export tab waaaaay up in the left corner (or a 3 finger key combo).  I don't think I want to do that for single files every time they need processing.  Which means I have to batch process/export.  Which means a sluggish computer & the fan revving up.

Admittedly, I haven't tried exporting batches of files yet.  Maybe it won't be so bad.  But I'm not optimistic, and I miss my old work habit already.  Wish I could at least drag the Export icon over to the right instead of clicking on the upper left to open, then clicking on the lower right to complete.  Inefficient ergonomics.

-- hide signature --

"Never let good clouds go to waste." -- Margaret Bourke-White

 contadorfan's gear list:contadorfan's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 115 IS Sony a99 II
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads