Wrestling with Printer-Induced Roller Marks on Paper

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
SamuelChia New Member • Posts: 9
Wrestling with Printer-Induced Roller Marks on Paper
2

Greetings,

Just wanted to share some of my experiences dealing with paper dents caused by printer rollers on Canon iPF printers. I first discovered the problem on an iPF5000 printer more than a decade ago, then more recently on the iPF8400 model. I later realised that the entire series is plagued with the same problem. I've tested several models which all use the exact same pinch roller assemblies in their paper path and they all mark very soft paper (Canson's cotton-based papers are particularly soft). I've also come to realise/discover reports over the years that some Epson and HP printer models also mark softer papers. My findings may or may not also be of interest to owners of those printers.

Eventually, after a lot of going back and forth with Canon service, I decided to go DIY, reducing the spring force exerted by the pinch roller assemblies which turned out to work extremely well for my purposes. I've written in extensive detail (over 5500 words) an article I've published on my website, alongside many pictures that illustrate the steps I took to deal with this issue. Feel free to check it out if you wish.

It is entirely possible to use coil springs of different gauge and length and number of coils (you're kind of limited in diameter owing to the design of the part) to vary the amount of spring force to suit the types of paper you like to use. Stiffer papers need more force to hold down the paper, obviously. My numbers in the article should give you some idea of what ballpark figures to start with, if you plan on doing this to your printers.

I've not been enamoured by the latest generation printers from all of the Big Three, so perhaps this information, while very, very late to the party, might still be relevant in light of this, as we struggle with the care and feeding of these recalcitrant beasts, rather than replace them with a newer yet crappier printer. Good luck and take care.

Samuel

https://cacaoeditions.com/printer-roller-marks/

Gesture Veteran Member • Posts: 9,250
Re: Wrestling with Printer-Induced Roller Marks on Paper

Thanks.  I would create a separate index to all your articles.  You have to run through the entire stream of copy.  Easy to miss.

mike earussi Veteran Member • Posts: 9,245
Re: Wrestling with Printer-Induced Roller Marks on Paper

Learned this the hard way many years ago. I just don't leave paper in the printer anymore. Problem solved.

 mike earussi's gear list:mike earussi's gear list
Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Sigma APO Macro 180mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 70mm F2.8 DG Macro Art +1 more
Adam2 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,285
Re: Wrestling with Printer-Induced Roller Marks on Paper

Haven't experienced this issue with the newer generation of printers, 2000/2100, 4000/4100 and I use many rag papers.  This is useful information for those who might be experiencing these issues.  Thanks for posting.

OP SamuelChia New Member • Posts: 9
Re: Wrestling with Printer-Induced Roller Marks on Paper

Adam2 wrote:

Haven't experienced this issue with the newer generation of printers, 2000/2100, 4000/4100 and I use many rag papers. This is useful information for those who might be experiencing these issues. Thanks for posting.

Glad to hear the newer generation Canons don't have this issue for you Adam2!

OP SamuelChia New Member • Posts: 9
Re: Wrestling with Printer-Induced Roller Marks on Paper
1

mike earussi wrote:

Learned this the hard way many years ago. I just don't leave paper in the printer anymore. Problem solved.

Wrong guess. The paper crushing/denting of the rollers I speak of happens as the paper is perpetually pulled into the printer during printing.

I never leave the paper in the printer when it is not in use. The two are unrelated. My fix does not solve this problem you speak of - if you leave the paper in or overnight or longer, it will still get marked.

OP SamuelChia New Member • Posts: 9
Re: Wrestling with Printer-Induced Roller Marks on Paper

Gesture wrote:

Thanks. I would create a separate index to all your articles. You have to run through the entire stream of copy. Easy to miss.

Thanks Gesture. What details do you find easy to miss? Not sure how you feel I should go about indexing the articles. The two latest ones have a contents list which I thought, helps someone navigate through it. If that is not enough, I would like to learn how I can make them easier to navigate. I do provide a lot of details in a story-like manner and I can't tell which ones are most useful to any given reader. I suspect it's worthwhile to read through them thoroughly, for those the problems are relevant to,

In my sharing of the crooked camera article somewhere else on DPR, someone wrongly assumed I was talking about something else because they didn't bother to read. Again, this has happened for the printer roller marks issue.

Gesture Veteran Member • Posts: 9,250
Re: Wrestling with Printer-Induced Roller Marks on Paper

I thought it was an important article.  Couldn't the OEMs make the pressure adjustable?

OP SamuelChia New Member • Posts: 9
Re: Wrestling with Printer-Induced Roller Marks on Paper

Gesture wrote:

I thought it was an important article. Couldn't the OEMs make the pressure adjustable?

Now wouldn't that be ideal Some of the commercial printers have adjustable pressure. Unfortunately not for these "fine art" printers. We can only hope! Hard to ask for much as the market demand has dropped significantly

mike earussi Veteran Member • Posts: 9,245
Re: Wrestling with Printer-Induced Roller Marks on Paper

SamuelChia wrote:

mike earussi wrote:

Learned this the hard way many years ago. I just don't leave paper in the printer anymore. Problem solved.

Wrong guess. The paper crushing/denting of the rollers I speak of happens as the paper is perpetually pulled into the printer during printing.

I never leave the paper in the printer when it is not in use. The two are unrelated. My fix does not solve this problem you speak of - if you leave the paper in or overnight or longer, it will still get marked.

I've never had this problem with any of the printers I've owned (Epson 7800, 9800, 9900 and Canon ipf6400 and 8300).

 mike earussi's gear list:mike earussi's gear list
Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Sigma APO Macro 180mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 70mm F2.8 DG Macro Art +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads