***July 18, 2021 - July 24, 2021 Weekly Show, Tell, and Critique***

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Birddogman
OP Birddogman Veteran Member • Posts: 8,066
Re: Quick on the draw

Nice, Gordon.  Living way back in the woods, we literally see deer every day, but I never get tired of it.  It’s a thrill each time.

Modern cell phones can make amazingly good pics.  Nancy now has an iPhone 12Pro and it does really well at taking pics of me doing dumb stuff, like standing out on the forepeak when under sail.

-- hide signature --
 Birddogman's gear list:Birddogman's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony RX100 VII Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +5 more
Birddogman
Re: Ok Slideshow Video of New Mexico Only a minute or more

Nice set, Bill.  Harsh country as compared to where we live.  Hoping to get to see it.

-- hide signature --
Sony RX1R II Sony RX100 VII Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +5 more
Bill Borne
Bill Borne Forum Pro • Posts: 46,773
Re: Bill Borne, and . . .

Evenstar606 wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Evenstar606 wrote:

abiquiuense wrote:

. . . trustee guide, escalated an "arroyo", aka, Bill, "dry wash." Once Bill lost his fear of my camera, I tried monochrome for the "miner" effect.

After tinkering here and there; I surrender this.

I agree with Greg, your rainbow photo is stunning, David! And Bill definitely pulls off the miner look here. Great photo!

Hmmm...Didn't notice how big my stomach is getting till I saw this photo!!!

You look fine!

Heh, Thanks

-- hide signature --

Bill
"Life's Too Short to Worry about the BS!"
So I Choose my Battles
Click for Wild Man's Photos
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Bill Borne's gear list:Bill Borne's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 III Nikon Coolpix P900 +3 more
Bill Borne
Re: Animated Route I took on my Latest Trip

Evenstar606 wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

That’s quite a trip. I’m glad you had fun!

Thanks

-- hide signature --

Bill
So I Choose my Battles
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 III Nikon Coolpix P900 +3 more
Bill Borne

Evenstar606 wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Beautiful countryside!

Sure is

-- hide signature --

Bill
So I Choose my Battles
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Bill Borne

Birddogman wrote:

Nice set, Bill. Harsh country as compared to where we live. Hoping to get to see it.

Yup! Definitely stop and see David and his wife. She will cook you up some Good Food

-- hide signature --

Bill
So I Choose my Battles
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Birddogman
Re: Animated Route I took on my Latest Trip

ok.

-- hide signature --
Birddogman
Odd damage from the 17 year cicada swarm

The 17 year cicadas emerged on our place by the billions starting in early June. They were so loud and so numerous that it was hard to speak and be heard outside. Nearly every leaf had them perched on it. They lasted about a month, literally carpeting the ground with dead bodies of the adult bugs. They didn't seem to cause much damage, despite their overwhelming presence.

Now we are starting to see the ends of tree branches turning brown, dying and falling to the ground. Oaks (and we have many massive oaks) seemed to be the hardest hit, like this one along the upper end of the lane:

I am told that this allows the nymphs that are now hatching to get to the ground and bury themselves.

Although oaks were the worst hit, the also swarmed other kinds of trees when oaks weren't in the immediate area, like this maple much further down the lane:

This is the second emergence of the 17 year cicadas I've seen in the 29 years I've lived in this place. I hope I'm lucky enough to see another - will be 92 then.

-- hide signature --
Dak on cam
Dak on cam Senior Member • Posts: 6,503
Re: Odd damage from the 17 year cicada swarm

Birddogman wrote:

The 17 year cicadas emerged on our place by the billions starting in early June. They were so loud and so numerous that it was hard to speak and be heard outside. Nearly every leaf had them perched on it. They lasted about a month, literally carpeting the ground with dead bodies of the adult bugs. They didn't seem to cause much damage, despite their overwhelming presence.

I guess it's probably similar to June bugs: the main damage is coming during their larva period: that's when they are principally growing and feeding.  With June bugs, the damage is largest in the year before they swarm.  Cicadas have this long pupation stage, so it probably comes before that.

This is the second emergence of the 17 year cicadas I've seen in the 29 years I've lived in this place. I hope I'm lucky enough to see another - will be 92 then.

Fingers crossed.

-- hide signature --

Dak

Dak on cam's gear list:Dak on cam's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P52 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Gordon RW Regular Member • Posts: 105
Re: Quick on the draw

Cheers Greg, never get tired of seeing wildlife either.

Love the yacht btw; always wanted a boat. Had friends in Southampton years ago, and the father worked in a boatyard at a place called Hamble-le-Rice building yachts. Remember he took us on a tour one Sunday, the boats were amazing.

Gordon RW's gear list:Gordon RW's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F707 Fujifilm FinePix S2950
Bill Borne
Re: Odd damage from the 17 year cicada swarm

Birddogman wrote:

Now we are starting to see the ends of tree branches turning brown, dying and falling to the ground. Oaks (and we have many massive oaks) seemed to be the hardest hit, like this one along the upper end of the lane:

I am told that this allows the nymphs that are now hatching to get to the ground and bury themselves.

Although oaks were the worst hit, the also swarmed other kinds of trees when oaks weren't in the immediate area, like this maple much further down the lane:

They will come back just fine

You have to worry about Gypsy moth cats! They can kill a tree!!!

-- hide signature --

Bill
So I Choose my Battles
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Bill Borne
More Trip Video slideshows

Utah is a Photographers Dream Come True!

-- hide signature --

Bill
So I Choose my Battles
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Birddogman
Re: More Trip Video slideshows

Well done, Bill.  In my experience, it is very difficult to create the same feelings, emotions, or whatever in the viewer of images that you feel when actually experiencing the place, especially in the vast areas of the west.  Thus, the art of photography, as opposed to just snapshots that can be done by anyone.

Greg

-- hide signature --
Bill Borne

Birddogman wrote:

Well done, Bill. In my experience, it is very difficult to create the same feelings, emotions, or whatever in the viewer of images that you feel when actually experiencing the place, especially in the vast areas of the west. Thus, the art of photography, as opposed to just snapshots that can be done by anyone.

Greg

That being said you look like a Pioneer in the shot. I'm surprised you don't have a hat on?

-- hide signature --

Bill
So I Choose my Battles
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Bill Borne
Re: Yosemite last week backpacking - RX100 IV

aSevenArr wrote:

Just beautiful! Isn't nature outstanding?

-- hide signature --

Bill
So I Choose my Battles
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Ontarian Senior Member • Posts: 2,189

Bill Borne wrote:

Birddogman wrote:

Well done, Bill. In my experience, it is very difficult to create the same feelings, emotions, or whatever in the viewer of images that you feel when actually experiencing the place, especially in the vast areas of the west. Thus, the art of photography, as opposed to just snapshots that can be done by anyone.

Greg

That being said you look like a Pioneer in the shot. I'm surprised you don't have a hat on?

But he does have a pack for any game he gets,  Unless that's his lunch

Ontarian's gear list:Ontarian's gear list
Sony RX10 IV
Bill Borne

Ontarian wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Birddogman wrote:

Greg

But he does have a pack for any game he gets, Unless that's his lunch

Yupper

-- hide signature --

Bill
So I Choose my Battles
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Birddogman

Bill Borne wrote:

Birddogman wrote:

Greg

Ha! That is a little 20 gauge peashooter shotgun - my trusty bird gun.

Not a longrifle.

The pioneers would not have gotten very far with peashooter bird guns instead of longrifles.

As regards the hat - I'm not a hat guy. Never wear a hat unless I must for some reason. Find them hot and annoying, even in winter. I will wear a hat when shooting clays, because the sun can be behind the targets and a billed hat makes it easier to see at times. The guy giving me some badly needed advice here is Anthony Matarese - perhaps the best competitive clays shooter in the world. He just won the World FITASC championship, for example (Google him).

The other time I am required to wear a hat is hunting here in Pennsylvania - the game laws require the wearing of a blaze orange hat in the field.

Nancy, however, likes me to dress me up in hats and buys them for me. For example, she got me this goofy straw fedora for sailing (it just blows off when actually at sea):

She really wants me to wear a cowboy hat when in Montana and keeps trying to buy me one. So far I have refused. What could be more ridiculous than a fat, old easterner who couldn't ride a horse to save his life in an enormous cowboy hat? If I gave in on the hat, boots might come next on her shopping list.

Greg

-- hide signature --
abiquiuense
abiquiuense Veteran Member • Posts: 7,440
Your response, dearMember, KB, reminds me, . . .

KBTinto wrote:

abiquiuense wrote:

. . . if I don't get up and go scarf it.

What's that green stuff sneaking its way out?

¡ Verdolagas ! Purslane ! Ok, ok, "pig's weed." MMMMMMMM

Repeat; mmmmmmmm.

I had to ensure daylight on my photo, so I took breakfast outside and put it on a rock. Don't worry, Greg, I kept my eye on Baloo. Slobbered breakfast or not, it's delicious.

TTYL

Reminds me a bit of what I used to have for breakfast during my first few years at work. 2 scrambled eggs, hash browns, ketchup, buttered toast and coffee with cream and sugar. After the first few days the deli knew what I wanted and I didn't have to say a word.

KB

. . . of when I was on my last legs, trying to escape UNM.  Dad would send me $20.00 bucks every month with which, he'd say, "Buy yourself a candy."  Of course, it wasn't for candy.  It was to augment my "work/study" program.  I was a "go fer," at the "Cultural Awareness Center; Tri-Lingual Institute."

When the cavalry arrived, first thing I'd do was reward myself with a big, big, "Lota Burger Meal."  (It's a NM thing.  I make the sixty mi.r. trip to Española today, just to get one, and, and, their breakfast burrito.  Costs me twenty in gas, anyway, . . .)

Meanwhile, back at college; work, work, work, study, study, study (ok, one more "study,") study, . . . .  two weeks went by; no "mula."  No reward; NO FOODSTAMPS! I didn't complain to him, cuz, I had no phone.  And, I didn't relish hiking 110 miles home to get some dough, and I'd prolly lose it to my peer group, over there.  And, Mom and Dad were raising my seven younger siblings.  So, I pulled myself up by my boot straps (wore boots, back then, and listened to C&W music, then I discovered ROCK AND ROLL.)

LSD (long story delayed), I had eggs/huevos and potatoes/papas.  And, I had "the menu."

Morning; "Huevos Con Papas."  Noon; "Papas Con Huevos."  Supper; "! Papas A Huevo !"

Now, KB, you are prolly wondering; "What is "Potatoes By Egg?"  The Spanish speakers, in this hoodlum congregation (dPR) are already ROFLOL (rolling on the floor laughing out loud.)

That menu is not as innocuous as it sounds to other than Spanish-Monolingual-Speakers.  So, maybe a word/picture;

RAE . I could, but, I won't use my paintbrush to highlight words.

Seems like a long way to go, just to tell a joke.  But, I try to reconstruct them after travelers' humor gets shredded at barbwire borders.

Nice bridge photo, BTW, KB.

abiquiuense
abiquiuense Veteran Member • Posts: 7,440
Re: Bill Borne, and . . .

Bill Borne wrote:

Evenstar606 wrote:

abiquiuense wrote:

. . . trustee guide, escalated an "arroyo", aka, Bill, "dry wash." Once Bill lost his fear of my camera, I tried monochrome for the "miner" effect.

After tinkering here and there; I surrender this.

I agree with Greg, your rainbow photo is stunning, David! And Bill definitely pulls off the miner look here. Great photo!

Hmmm...Didn't notice how big my stomach is getting till I saw this photo!!!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads