***July 18, 2021 - July 24, 2021 Weekly Show, Tell, and Critique***

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
abiquiuense
abiquiuense Veteran Member • Posts: 7,431
Re: Yippie! Breakfast is ready, and the cook is fit to be tied, . . .

Birddogman wrote:

Around here, we'd call that Mexican food. I mostly like it. Am a big fan of spicy food, but not the red hot kind.

In a way, that is correct, however, only insofar as there was a civilization in that area that preceded the encroachment of Europe. "New Spain"/Nueva España became Mexico. The US invaded and they amalgamated the then frontier into its present configuration.

The area occupied by the arrival of Europe, vis a vis, the gold rush, remained intact as a culture; i.e., architecture, language, social mores, diet, and costuming. Today, language has changed such that my folks no longer speak any of the indigenous languages, such as Tewa, much less, Hopi, with whom we are related.

Our social mores were definitely impacted by the placement of churches in our midst. I am an educational product of the Dominican Sisters, and, a parochial system, as you've noticed in Pennsylvania, Canada, Santa Fe.

Still, the diet remains the same, because it's at the "grassroots level." When I dine at the various pueblos, it's like I'm at home no difference. The differences are however very deep. The "recognized" pueblos are holy.

Abiquiu is trying to reconnect, and as my posts have shown, we have relatives in the other "Nations" who do not mind sharing.

On my desk, is a copy of the San Juan Pueblo TEWA DICTIONARY. When the book was published, Oke Ouingue had not officially changed its name. The language is sacred to pueblos. My Tewa colleagues gave me two of them; go teach, teach.

The "sopapilla" photo that I just today posted, Tewa hands. In other posts, Oke kids came to dance, and we've been dancing for centuries. They recognize our "national" dance, the "Na a ni yeh." My mom told me that her mom told her that everyone in, what I call the Nation of the Pueblo of Abiquiu, danced.

They even danced during the year of the 100 year rains.

I am an eclectic person. Sausages stick to me. Paella is smooth. I mean; if you tell me that your German grandmother cooked it, I want it, and I don't even know what it is. I would love every food stuff from China's immense numbers of ethnically different peoples.

In here, in dPR, I see people like I've never seen them before. I see kids, limp in running waters and it hurts my heart, like my heart hurts at the thought that you've lost loved ones, and that you've cared for them until they just had to leave.

People are leaving their places of birth in inordinate numbers. When governments make that difficult, they make shredded cultures inevitable. But, they coalesce and they build enclaves and they dance, they build abodes, they dress up, they eat, they cry, they . . .

"I AM JOAQUIN." Corky Gonzales, Estes Park, Colorado.

I see your altruism, folks. "Love the one you're with." Not my quote.

And, not that it matters anymore, I'd probably forgive that orange-tinged wonder, if he would show some reticence. Poor guy, he is so going to die alone. All the tears of stone hearted people will have gone to waste and become the salt of the earth.

That's a movie, BTW .

Justice is not just ice. "It will protect you with the truth."

TTYL

abiquiuense
abiquiuense Veteran Member • Posts: 7,431
Re: Walking again

Thank you, Grant.

I shall wear my mask until all my grandchildren are vaccinated.  And, yet then, I shall wear it for you.

David

Pi lover
Pi lover Senior Member • Posts: 2,124
Re: Walking again

abiquiuense wrote:

Thank you, Grant.

I shall wear my mask until all my grandchildren are vaccinated. And, yet then, I shall wear it for you.

David

Thank you for that David.

A man walks into a restaurant with a duck under his arm.  The greeter says "Who's the pig with you?".   The man replies "That's a duck, not a pig."  The greeter responded "I was talking to the duck."

Have a good night.

Pi lover
Pi lover Senior Member • Posts: 2,124
Re: Finally a dog run today

Birddogman wrote:

The weather here has ben horrible - very hot, humid and rainy. I do no do well in such conditions. Today, it was finally down to 85F, but still with tons of humidity, so, in desperate need of exercise, we took the first dog run for a while.

Nothing slows the dogs down if they can stay wet. There was an hour-long wild goose chase at the pretty lake. Joy at work:

85F with humidity is summer for sure.  I'm hoping the humidity gives up soon.

The trees that got stripped by the gypsy moths have all grown leaves back.  There won't be apples this year but the trees look like next year will be normal again.

I went for a walk by the river the other day and an older gentleman was checking out a sign for mooring boats.  During our conversation he lamented that people didn't clean up after their dogs.  It wasn't from a dog.  Goose poop is as big as a small dogs though.

Grant.

Dak on cam
Dak on cam Senior Member • Posts: 6,501
Re: CALLING DAK!!!???

Birddogman wrote:

Ok, that makes sense. Sorry to put you through the agonizing explanation for idiots. 🙂

I would have thought you to know me well enough by know to figure out that it's more agonizing for me to refrain from explaining things, so thanks for the excuse.  And frankly, if not being familiar with the details of loudspeaker crossover circuitry defines an idiot, there'd be an awful lot of them around.

The takeaway may be that they contain big and somewhat expensive components and I was breaking apart some to save me from buying others.

The living room actually looked quite a mess: since simulations on the computer are rather rough approximations for loudspeakers, I unwound an inductor by and by until it behaved in the right manner, covering the ground in coils of copper wire (if the wire is lying loosely on the floor rather than arranged in a neat coil, it loses the bulk of its inductance).  It takes a considerably amount of determination to actually cut the wire which pretty much seals the deal.

Now I found buzzing with loud bass notes and after trying to locate the source I figured that the bass speaker itself is ungluing at its base.  So I need to get some strong and temperature-resistant glue I can apply without it seeping anywhere where it would cause terminal damage.

It would be far too expensive to get a replacement speaker, its specs are basically unknown and an exact replacement would not be possible, and now the crossover is tuned to it.

Projects have a tendency to outgrow my planning.

In the mean time, the postal office has mislaid a package from the UK that I also need.  I need to start making photographs to justify posting my rants here.

-- hide signature --

Dak

 Dak on cam's gear list:Dak on cam's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P52 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Pi lover
Pi lover Senior Member • Posts: 2,124
Re: CALLING DAK!!!???

Dak on cam wrote:

Now I found buzzing with loud bass notes and after trying to locate the source I figured that the bass speaker itself is ungluing at its base. So I need to get some strong and temperature-resistant glue I can apply without it seeping anywhere where it would cause terminal damage.

It would be far too expensive to get a replacement speaker, its specs are basically unknown and an exact replacement would not be possible, and now the crossover is tuned to it.

Have you ever checked these out Dak?

https://www.parts-express.com/miniDSP-2x4-Kit-Digital-Signal-Processor-Assembled-Board-230-322

You'd need a second amp but classd amps are cheap.

It still wouldn't cover the hole from 600-800 (probably bigger if measured).  REW software is a free download to measure if you have a mic.  Omnidirectional is preferred to get rid of reflections.

Grant.

Dak on cam
Dak on cam Senior Member • Posts: 6,501
Re: CALLING DAK!!!???

Pi lover wrote:

Dak on cam wrote:

Now I found buzzing with loud bass notes and after trying to locate the source I figured that the bass speaker itself is ungluing at its base. So I need to get some strong and temperature-resistant glue I can apply without it seeping anywhere where it would cause terminal damage.

It would be far too expensive to get a replacement speaker, its specs are basically unknown and an exact replacement would not be possible, and now the crossover is tuned to it.

Have you ever checked these out Dak?

https://www.parts-express.com/miniDSP-2x4-Kit-Digital-Signal-Processor-Assembled-Board-230-322

You'd need a second amp but classd amps are cheap.

This is a vintage amp.  I am taking a lot of liberties with that I'll admit but I sort of retain its spirit (or possibly the spirit of my youth).  Admittedly the horn speaker driver now in there was not available at the time the thing was built but otherwise technology is pretty much the same as it was.  Including a spring reverb.  And rotating horns.

I can read the circuit diagrams, I can work it.  After fixing the speakers, I'll be adding an input with plugin power so that I don't need batteries for electret microphones.  Frankly, I've thought about dropping in a D-class amp almost a decade ago.  But that would turn it more or less into a black box for me.  And I have no idea how much I could trust that (I cannot trust the current one either, of course, but I can diagnose and fix it).  They call their black boxes "2000W" or similar.  This is an amp specified for 100W.  And those 100W it can actually deliver continuously, and the output volume at that level is way above typical HiFi speakers.

It still wouldn't cover the hole from 600-800 (probably bigger if measured).

How do you think I would have figured out the problematic range without measuring?  I've measured frequency responses of both acoustic reproduction and the voltages at the speakers to make sure my modifications do not come at a cost in reduced lifetime.

REW software is a free download to measure if you have a mic. Omnidirectional is preferred to get rid of reflections.

Oh, I do measure with an omni though "to get rid of reflections" sure counts as a rather startling rationale for that choice in my book.

TLDR: I know it's hard to believe from looking at my photography, but sometimes I actually know what I am doing (I actually do have a university diploma in signal processing but it's not like I wasn't tinkering before and afterwards).  Or believe firmly enough to do so that I'll listen to advice only after I've crashlanded and made a spectacle of myself.  Unless you want to register for a "told you so" it's probably easiest to amusedly shake your head at my adolescent excitement and wait for the moment where I have to admit being out of my wits.

-- hide signature --

Dak

 Dak on cam's gear list:Dak on cam's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P52 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Pi lover
Pi lover Senior Member • Posts: 2,124
Re: CALLING DAK!!!???

Dak on cam wrote:

TLDR: I know it's hard to believe from looking at my photography, but sometimes I actually know what I am doing (I actually do have a university diploma in signal processing but it's not like I wasn't tinkering before and afterwards). Or believe firmly enough to do so that I'll listen to advice only after I've crashlanded and made a spectacle of myself. Unless you want to register for a "told you so" it's probably easiest to amusedly shake your head at my adolescent excitement and wait for the moment where I have to admit being out of my wits.

If the speaker is buzzing with a hundred watt amp more power certainly wouldn't help.

I'm quite aware from the things you do that you are capable Dak.  Diploma in signal processing is impressive.  I didn't know you were at THAT level.

Grant.

Dak on cam
Dak on cam Senior Member • Posts: 6,501
Re: CALLING DAK!!!???

Pi lover wrote:

Dak on cam wrote:

TLDR: I know it's hard to believe from looking at my photography, but sometimes I actually know what I am doing (I actually do have a university diploma in signal processing but it's not like I wasn't tinkering before and afterwards). Or believe firmly enough to do so that I'll listen to advice only after I've crashlanded and made a spectacle of myself. Unless you want to register for a "told you so" it's probably easiest to amusedly shake your head at my adolescent excitement and wait for the moment where I have to admit being out of my wits.

If the speaker is buzzing with a hundred watt amp more power certainly wouldn't help.

Well, superglue does not exactly seem like a hightech solution but then sometimes problems are properly solved with simple means.  The buzzing is not because the speaker is out of its specs but out of order.  Meaning that I identified the correct remedy does not mean that I am the best person to apply it, so it's certainly appropriate to cross fingers so that I don't glue the speaker cone in place, sealing the speaker's fate.

I'm quite aware from the things you do that you are capable Dak. Diploma in signal processing is impressive. I didn't know you were at THAT level.

Well, I never completed the PhD (I figured out much later that it had been futile to try proving the general stability of my thesis' algorithm since it was generic enough that it could be parameterised to match fluid dynamics where turbulent flow is a well-known phenomenon of instability).  So diploma is the level I have to contend with.

But tinkering is fun independently.  It doesn't take from the fun that I can convince myself that I know what I am doing.  I'll get to rein in my superiority complex some other time.  It's not like life doesn't have plenty of reality checks in store for me.

-- hide signature --

Dak

 Dak on cam's gear list:Dak on cam's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P52 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Pi lover
Pi lover Senior Member • Posts: 2,124
Re: CALLING DAK!!!???

Dak on cam wrote:

But tinkering is fun independently. It doesn't take from the fun that I can convince myself that I know what I am doing. I'll get to rein in my superiority complex some other time. It's not like life doesn't have plenty of reality checks in store for me.

Tinkering is what I do as well and it's been a pleasure for years.  I often use spec sheets to know what a speaker should do but with old equipment original specs aren't accurate if they are available.

Keep having fun.  It takes care of some of those reality checks.

Birddogman
OP Birddogman Veteran Member • Posts: 8,042
Re: Finally a dog run today

Pi lover wrote:

The trees that got stripped by the gypsy moths have all grown leaves back. There won't be apples this year but the trees look like next year will be normal again.

We had the same maybe 15 years ago.  The entire mountain was denuded in spring - looked like winter with all the bare branches.  I couldn't begin to spray thousands of trees by hand, so had to hire a helicopter (think $$$$) to spray the whole place (which I did NOT like doing but had no choice).  Some smaller trees were lost, but the big trees all came back the next year with no problem.  You should be OK.

The trees that were hit by the plague of 17 year locusts here this spring weren't killed, but now all have brown tips that are falling off. I'm told that the bugs laid their eggs there and that they will now go into the ground for another 17 years as the tree tips fall off. I will try to take a photo of this odd sight..

I went for a walk by the river the other day and an older gentleman was checking out a sign for mooring boats. During our conversation he lamented that people didn't clean up after their dogs. It wasn't from a dog. Goose poop is as big as a small dogs though.

Grant.

Yeah, if the geese take up residence in a populated area, that can be a real problem.  Farmers who have ponds being destroyed by geese know I have dogs and am a hunter, so they will call me and ask me to kill theri geese.  That is not something we do.

The geese at teh pretty wild are wild and migratory, plus there are only a few in a fairly big place, so no problem with poop, pollution, etc.

Greg

-- hide signature --
 Birddogman's gear list:Birddogman's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony RX100 VII Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +5 more
Birddogman
OP Birddogman Veteran Member • Posts: 8,042
Re: CALLING DAK!!!???

Dak on cam wrote:

I would have thought you to know me well enough by know to figure out that it's more agonizing for me to refrain from explaining things, so thanks for the excuse.

  

Projects have a tendency to outgrow my planning.

Same here.  What could possibly go wrong (trying to take a dead tree down without hitting the barn)?

-- hide signature --
 Birddogman's gear list:Birddogman's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony RX100 VII Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +5 more
Ha Pham Contributing Member • Posts: 543
Re: FYI; folks. HDR inclined, artistically-minded Sony A7MkIII in vicinity.

abiquiuense wrote:

Chiaroscuro is not a "dark charro ," no sir. Chiaroscuro is renaissance art, on steroids. You'll understand when you see the video. It has an advertisement. Hope the onlookers don't mind.

Link .

Bill Borne missed this one as he sped through the Ghost Ranch. However, he took a really nice panorama, two miles further north.

Impressive landscape abiquiuense.

Ha

 Ha Pham's gear list:Ha Pham's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma SD15 Sony a7R IV Sony a7C
Ha Pham Contributing Member • Posts: 543
Re: ***July 18, 2021 - July 24, 2021 Weekly Show, Tell, and Critique***
1

Hi Greg and all,

I enjoy spending time at this show and tell thread, with lots of shows and tells. My contribution is only shows. Thank you.

Ha

 Ha Pham's gear list:Ha Pham's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma SD15 Sony a7R IV Sony a7C
Birddogman
OP Birddogman Veteran Member • Posts: 8,042
Re: ***July 18, 2021 - July 24, 2021 Weekly Show, Tell, and Critique***

Thank you for your contribution, Ha!!  The “tell” part might be to tell us how you made this surreal, but beautiful, image?  If you are willing, of course.

Greg

-- hide signature --
 Birddogman's gear list:Birddogman's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony RX100 VII Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +5 more
abiquiuense
abiquiuense Veteran Member • Posts: 7,431
Re: Walking again

Pi lover wrote:

abiquiuense wrote:

Thank you, Grant.

I shall wear my mask until all my grandchildren are vaccinated. And, yet then, I shall wear it for you.

David

Thank you for that David.

A man walks into a restaurant with a duck under his arm. The greeter says "Who's the pig with you?". The man replies "That's a duck, not a pig." The greeter responded "I was talking to the duck."

Have a good night.

I did have a good night, Grant.  And, this morning I went to one of my first cousins' funeral.  Colon cancer claimed her within two weeks.  Well, she had adult kids and they gave her grandkids.  Scientists will cure cancer, but, they are not gonna help those who don't have afflictions, except the final one.  You know your math, myFriend.  We will be in deep, dark matter, once we keep adding to that bank account.  We will run out of space/time.  There will be no such thing as "got a moment?" No excuse for not washing dishes before the partner returns from WhoallyMare.

I admit, you're joke challenge found no match in me.  But, you have helped me get over what has been a trying day.  I rarely find a reason to keep my trap shut, but, today I did.  I am gonna take my cousin's secrets to my grave; poor grievants.

Sandra was myFather's, second youngest sibling's/brother's daughter, of five issues.  My dad was fifth in his family of twelve.  He would have been 108, this past March.  (He married my mom barely over voting age, and they made eight of us.). Frankly, I have many, many first cousins, and innumerable kissing cousins, not that I'd like to exercise my lips, eeeuuuwww, they'd say.  But, the point in this is that, my younger cousins really don't know me, and, many of my older, I mean much older, (late seventies to early eighties,) can't stand the sight of me.  I did miss at least five of them today.  Several others might have been at the rosary last night.

If you are acquainted with a decedent's "rosary," you aren't missing anything.  It drones on and on and on, and I don't go cuz I sits through it and I think.  And, sometimes when I thinks, I falls asleep. (Gotcha, LOL) So, I don't go to rosaries anymore, and I've not gone to many funerals where way before Covid I would have gone to at least two or three per year.

So, I went to this one.  Her son was in one of my classes.  Many of his cousins and step-cousins also were my students.  They were there.  Up at the lectern, one gives a rousing eulogy; ok, ok, maybe C+, but, I told myBabe; "At least he got brave, and stood up there."

So, on the "Please accept my condolences queue," I tell him; "Nice speechie, M."  "Why didn't you write like that in my classroom.?  So, he takes off his mask, and I see he has a full beard and mustache, and I go "Oops,"  thinking he's about to kiss me and he starts laughing, his mom starts laughing, his brother starts laughing.  I know; they know, they are not even related to me, and yet they are laughing, and so to are the adjacent pews, still full of people, and I walks out one the oldest, if not the oldest church in New Mexico, ca. 1711.

MyBabe and I are on the return road from Santa Fe, back to Santa Cruz, on the way home, and she says; "M. didn't write that eulogy."  Huh?  I asked; "Where's the evidence?"  She's a reading specialist.  Tells me that he couldn't pronounce the set of words that labeled Sandra's food item that became his favorite.  And, sprinkled throughout the twenty minutes, word sets that (excuse me if I sound sexist) could only have been assembled by a woman.  Now I know why my step-first cousin was laughing her fool head off.

That made my day as my wife apologized for having twisted my arm to go to Santa Fe, a destination for thousands of tourist.

So, do you think I went on a date today, Grant?  Not on your life; I still have to do dishes.

I have a great duck song.  I'll post when you return.

abiquiuense
abiquiuense Veteran Member • Posts: 7,431
Re: FYI; folks. HDR inclined, artistically-minded Sony A7MkIII in vicinity.

Ha Pham wrote:

abiquiuense wrote:

Chiaroscuro is not a "dark charro ," no sir. Chiaroscuro is renaissance art, on steroids. You'll understand when you see the video. It has an advertisement. Hope the onlookers don't mind.

Link .

Bill Borne missed this one as he sped through the Ghost Ranch. However, he took a really nice panorama, two miles further north.

Impressive landscape abiquiuense.

Ha

Thank you, Member Ha Pham.

I walked the hundred yards there. I stayed two hours within the vicinity. There are hundreds more subjects from surrealist abstracts to concrete documentaries. There are red boulders and calcite crystals. There are dry clay puddles to juniper trees with red cliffs for back drops.

There are even these;

Well, maybe not the comet, but you can use the gate to walk into beauty.

I visited your link to the outside world.  Justly beautiful, ethereal visions.  Be careful with the sun. It will fry your sensor faster than it will injure your eyes.  I have several spots on my D800 courtesy a "safe" method for eclipses.  Good thing they are off to the side and I can work them out with the camera's feature.

abiquiuense
abiquiuense Veteran Member • Posts: 7,431
Re: ***July 18, 2021 - July 24, 2021 Weekly Show, Tell, and Critique***

KBTinto wrote:

Some rainy pics .. went out the other week to pick up my Amazon order from their locker at the neighborhood Rite Aide pharmacy. It had rained earlier and I thought it would hold off until I got back home so I didn't take the umbrella .. but it restarted as I got halfway back ..

Good thing some shops still have awnings

When it let up a bit I headed home but not before taking some pics of 2 chess players mulling their next moves in a Starbucks which now closes at 10pm instead of 8:30 after the city eased Covid restrictions.

I am late viewing your exhibits, KB.  However late I view them, I know their beauty will always hold true.

myBabe and I just got back from a funeral and fun-shopping the second hand stores in Santa Fe.  It started raining very hard,  with us just barely clearing the ridge to descend into the Rio Grande Valley.  By the time we made my jurisdiction, all the arroyos were bulging.  That area must have also gotten hail cuz there was definitely a drop in temperature.  The area where it rained is mainly sand, so that tells me there is more water than meets the eye.  Stretches of arroyos become quick sands; hwoomph, down.  Happened to me with a load of roof beams coming from the mountains.  The sand shifted from the hillside, and I plowed right into it for not looking.  It took five trucks, chain-linked to pull me out.  Crazy people didn't want to unload me before they did that.

I better go before Greg gets an idea that I'm feeling better and can host another experience.

Pi lover
Pi lover Senior Member • Posts: 2,124
Re: Walking again

abiquiuense wrote:

I did have a good night, Grant. And, this morning I went to one of my first cousins' funeral. Colon cancer claimed her within two weeks. Well, she had adult kids and they gave her grandkids. Scientists will cure cancer, but, they are not gonna help those who don't have afflictions, except the final one. You know your math, myFriend. We will be in deep, dark matter, once we keep adding to that bank account. We will run out of space/time. There will be no such thing as "got a moment?" No excuse for not washing dishes before the partner returns from WhoallyMare.

In the end we have memories and children. Some of the memories are wanted some not. Like the time someone was getting married and "the guys" went over to an uncles house while "the girls" got together. The multimillionaire uncle had the other uncles on their hands and knees admiring handiwork in the kitchen he just had remodeled. I walked over to my father-in-law and said "Woof". He shushed me sooo fast.

Then there's the time my father-in-law passed my sons and I tickets to a baseball game. First game of the year in April. Stands were just about empty and it was just above freezing. A reported asked me what I thought of the game. "It's great entertainment value." I got quoted in the local paper. It's the last year we got baseball tickets !!! It has become a line my kids use from time to time and they laugh every time they use it.

At least you have a new story from your trip.

I have a great duck song. I'll post when you return.

A great duck song would be a good addition ;-).

Best wishes.

Grant.

Evenstar606
Evenstar606 Senior Member • Posts: 4,346
Re: Bill Borne, and . . .
1

abiquiuense wrote:

. . . trustee guide, escalated an "arroyo", aka, Bill, "dry wash." Once Bill lost his fear of my camera, I tried monochrome for the "miner" effect.

After tinkering here and there; I surrender this.

I agree with Greg, your rainbow photo is stunning, David! And Bill definitely pulls off the miner look here. Great photo!

-- hide signature --

Courtney

 Evenstar606's gear list:Evenstar606's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX80 Apple iPhone X
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads