***July 18, 2021 - July 24, 2021 Weekly Show, Tell, and Critique***

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Birddogman
OP Birddogman Veteran Member • Posts: 8,012
Re: Yosemite last week backpacking - RX100 IV

I'm VERY happy to see no evidence of the western fires - not even an visible smoke haze.  During our two month western hunting trip last year, landscape photography was tough because of the smoke in the air - not to mention having to move our camps to dodge the fires.

Greg

-- hide signature --
 Birddogman's gear list:Birddogman's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony RX100 VII Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +5 more
abiquiuense
abiquiuense Veteran Member • Posts: 7,426
Re: FYI; folks. HDR inclined, artistically-minded Sony A7MkIII in vicinity.

Birddogman wrote:

abiquiuense wrote:

Birddogman wrote:

Looks surreal, David. What are the white spots?

Greg

Very top of the morning to you, Greg.

I don't know what those spots are, but, they are the same soil that is red. This whole area was under a huge sea, with this location being closest to the Jurassic period. One hundred feet up, to another hundred feet down, is the range of the famous Coelophysis of Ghost Ranch. The panorama that Bill Borne made is part of this strata. This slope can be seen at the bottom of the cliffs that Bill captured. A bunch of movies have been made in this area.

The spots are probably matter, from different vegetation that disintegrated within other matter. It's all very clayish and difficult to walk in when wet.

Ansel Adams took a black and white photo of this, what I call "The Red Slope." There is a government book titled "The Red Beds of New Mexico," where this whole region is discussed in quite some detail. I believe it's also part of the structure that goes all the way to Moab, Utah.

I stayed up late to work on some challenges and just got deeper and deeper.

TTYL

David

Thanks for the info, David. I hope to see this in person.

You will be amazed as Harvey and Bill were.  It gives meaning to the quandary that photographers face when they've run out of film in a thirty-six frame roll, and there is still soooo much more to photograph.  Utah, yippie, eat your heart out.

Speaking of rolls, as in, things fall off of vehicles, and they roll, like the cool flashlight that I found, just about where Bill photographed the cliffs.  You know, that flashlight that you represented?

Mine has run out of battery; lucky skunks, can't save them from Baloo anymore.

abiquiuense
Yippie! Breakfast is ready, and the cook is fit to be tied, . . .

. . . if I don't get up and go scarf it.

What's that green stuff sneaking its way out?

¡ Verdolagas !  Purslane !  Ok, ok, "pig's weed."  MMMMMMMM

Repeat; mmmmmmmm.

I had to ensure daylight on my photo, so I took breakfast outside and put it on a rock.  Don't worry, Greg, I kept my eye on Baloo.  Slobbered breakfast or not, it's delicious.

TTYL

Pi lover
Pi lover Senior Member • Posts: 2,123
Re: Yippie! Breakfast is ready, and the cook is fit to be tied, . . .

abiquiuense wrote:

¡ Verdolagas ! Purslane ! Ok, ok, "pig's weed." MMMMMMMM

Repeat; mmmmmmmm.

I had to ensure daylight on my photo, so I took breakfast outside and put it on a rock. Don't worry, Greg, I kept my eye on Baloo. Slobbered breakfast or not, it's delicious.

TTYL

It sounds like you're spoilt   (me too when I'm lucky).

Grant.

Dak on cam
Dak on cam Senior Member • Posts: 6,482
Re: CALLING DAK!!!???

Birddogman wrote:

Dak on cam wrote:

We've seen embarrassingly little of it. the bass speaker is

Whew! I'm very glad to hear that. I know the news always makes things look worse then they really are, but you had me worried.

The scary things to me about your floods is that (unlike here, where the endless new development is often encroaching on natural places and people like to build houses right by creeks, etc) most those towns and structures have been in place for centuries and are only now getting destroyed by flood waters. That can only mean that the climate really has changed for the far worse in recent times.

4Ohms rather than the 8Ohms the crossover I used had been designed for. Dug out some bipolar capacitors I had from previous experiments, entered simulations into Spice, unwound some inductance until it fit,

Huh?? Lost me there, buddy....

Oh, it wasn't photography jargon.  Putting it back into comprehensible language: loudspeaker cabinets tend to contain more than one speaker, separated for doing different jobs (bass notes need to move a lot of air and thus need large cones for moving them, and those are unsuitably heavy for moving at the speed of treble notes and would also cause the treble notes to be mainly audible in only a small sideways region because of the large cone: it's actually a wave phenomenon like out-of-focus bokeh).

So you need to split the workload requested from the amplifier into jobs for the different speakers.  That's the job of frequency crossovers.  Those are mostly built from capacitors and inductances which at the lowest level work by temporarily storing energy in electric and magnetic fields.

Since they are working with the output from the amplifier (which in this case can be 100Watts) and need to be able to store energy for a bit of time in order to do something different depending on what kind of frequency (high note or low note) they are dealing with, those things are pretty large by themselves.

An inductor consists of a whole lot of coils of thick copper wire that are insulated from one another by a layer of hard lacquer.  As I am a cheapscape and needed to create a crossover working with different speaker characteristics than I had planned for, I made my own different-sized inductor by breaking apart an existing one and reducing its windings to probably 40% of what was there before.

In short, I indulged in a huge mess of stuff I was nominally qualified for messing with (even though I certainly don't have a lot of practice with it), deriving the grim satisfaction of a tinkerer (a lot of people experience similar satisfaction working with older motorised transports: those are affectionally called "Schrauber" in German, "screwers").

Finally getting what I consider more or less acceptable sound, I now have found some buzzing with low notes.  Locating the culprit (a mechanical rather than electrical problem) is a nuisance.  I've just applied a bit of glue to the rim of the bass speaker dome (the spherical thing in the middle of typical big speakers) in the hope that it's from there.

So the only thing that may have taken damage in the past week with awful weather is my ego (stuff never works out quite as planned).  Right now it's actually sunny outside.

-- hide signature --

Dak

Dak on cam's gear list:Dak on cam's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P52 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Birddogman

That looks really good - also much like what we had for breakfast here.  Nancy calls it a pizza omelet.  We are trying to cut out bread to lose some weight.

-- hide signature --
Sony RX1R II Sony RX100 VII Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +5 more
abiquiuense

Pi lover wrote:

abiquiuense wrote:

¡ Verdolagas ! Purslane ! Ok, ok, "pig's weed." MMMMMMMM

Repeat; mmmmmmmm.

I had to ensure daylight on my photo, so I took breakfast outside and put it on a rock. Don't worry, Greg, I kept my eye on Baloo. Slobbered breakfast or not, it's delicious.

TTYL

It sounds like you're spoilt (me too when I'm lucky).

Grant.

Oh, really?

Luck has nothing to do with it, but, I do count myself in the crowd.

So too did the Professor, when she polled her class. You know the class, Grant. Huge speech hall at UNM.

"How many of you are lucky once per day;" half the class stands up. So, she divides the floor. (You've heard this one, haven't you?). Impressed, she presses forward; "how many of you get it, once per week?" Half of the half moves across the floor. Yep, Grant; "how many of you feel lucky, once per month." Everybody left rises, and that leaves Maclovio/Maclovius, up in God's country, on the right.

"Ok, Mac," says Prof (I'm sure you've heard this 3.14....), "how many of you, have sex, once per year.

Mac jumps up grinning and spitting tobacco juice, saying "I do. I do." Dumfounded, the professor and the class are besides themselves (I always wanted to know how to do that, maybe it's metaphysics, anyway).

"Why are you so happy, Maclovious?" "Seems to me it ought to be the reverse."

Mac says, jumping up and down; "Tonight's the night!"

I claim royalties on jokes. Now, go have some fun. I saw you smiling.

So, in the time that I left the classroom someone has invented the pacemaker/defribrilator and Sildenefil, and I just whizzed by the starting point of my seventh decade.

Seriously, purslane is loaded with Omega3, but the doc won't dismiss me from aspirin, prasugrel, a beta blocker, atoravastatin, two needle injected insulins, one pill makes me taller, one pill makes me small, but the ones the doctor gives me, do not contraindicate . . . the "just in case" pill.

David

abiquiuense

Birddogman wrote:

Dak on cam wrote:

We've seen embarrassingly little of it. the bass speaker is

Whew! I'm very glad to hear that. I know the news always makes things look worse then they really are, but you had me worried.

The scary things to me about your floods is that (unlike here, where the endless new development is often encroaching on natural places and people like to build houses right by creeks, etc) most those towns and structures have been in place for centuries and are only now getting destroyed by flood waters. That can only mean that the climate really has changed for the far worse in recent times.

4Ohms rather than the 8Ohms the crossover I used had been designed for. Dug out some bipolar capacitors I had from previous experiments, entered simulations into Spice, unwound some inductance until it fit,

Huh?? Lost me there, buddy....

Greg

Translation; Dak wet his pinkie, stuck it in the air and said "It's seven o'clock in Germany, and I'm going to crush my ear against a pillow."

In all seriousness, we had a "100 year flood" at Abiquiu in 1895, July to August.  In swimming across a ten foot high stream, one must adjust windage and elevation.

A USA Federal Extension Agent, Phillip Harroun, recorded it.  Here, I'll get you started .

I'll do the math (not my training.) 2021-1895.  Jeee, I hope tonight is not the night.

Ha, missed me.

abiquiuense

Birddogman wrote:

That looks really good - also much like what we had for breakfast here. Nancy calls it a pizza omelet. We are trying to cut out bread to lose some weight.

Mmmm; sopapillas, Indian fry bread, TewaTacos, hot, juicy with butter, or filled with guacamole, jalapeño peppers, onions, purslane, . . .

. . . Rocky Mountain Bee Plant, natural oregano, four different spinaches, minced meats, . . .

And, did I mention empanaditas? Minced meats; venison, wabbit (I said "wabbit" dear dictionary) quail, repeat, quail, frog (for its chicken flavor) plum preserves, apricots, piñón nuts, (redundant), . . .

Do I need to mention tamales?

I'm heartless, aren't I?

Edit; what was I thinking?  That photo is an illustration of "chiaroscuro."  It's all in the wrist.

Birddogman

Ok, that makes sense.  Sorry to put you through the agonizing explanation for idiots.  🙂

-- hide signature --
abiquiuense
Bill Borne, and . . .

. . . trustee guide, escalated an "arroyo", aka, Bill, "dry wash."  Once Bill lost his fear of my camera, I tried monochrome for the "miner" effect.

Sorry, Bill.  It completely escaped me to take you up there, just three hundred feet higher, in the same distance.  You'd have been privy to your very first, ancient (ca. 1492) Indian pueblo, now under USFS custody.  In my defense, we would have been beyond "fashionably late" to Isabel's supper, at four.  I was however very interested in your "finds."  And, even more curious about how you'd handle, red chili.  We sometimes harvest New York temperatures.

Onward;

You left, and then the rains started, couple days went by, and I tried to not only duplicate your fine photo, which is my model, and then, best it; if that's possible.  Well, how about a rainbow?

Voila.

Huh?  I've been trying to shy away from senior moments, but, I've denigrated to senior seconds.

Well, I've a habit of, what's it called when you click, then immediately view the screen? So, I found the problem.

After tinkering here and there; I surrender this.

TBS; more problems.

One; C-Mos sensors, coupled with ultra, wide angle lenses, reduces the wide field of view.  One must use a "fish-eye" to encompass the entirety of a double rainbow.

Two; Full frame Canons work well with ultra, wide angle lenses, but, they can't use lenses made for C-Mos sensors.

Three; your panorama function can have included the entirety of the illusion, yet, I forgot the iPhone in my pocket.

Four; senior second per second, and, and, you are older than I, me, . . . whatever.

I'm gonna crank out my Canon; oh wait, Camera A, has moth dust on the sensor.  Camera B, does not have a focusing screen, but, a spotless sensor.

I figure that if I keep Camera B, at infinity, I won't need to focus.  Some of my best astrophotography has been done that way.

Chili, anyone?

abiquiuense
Chili con weenies.

Before it hits the menu.

Chile verde;

Chile rescoldado/roasted.

Chili con weenies.

Diced "chili girl."

Diced "chili boy."

Chili is edible two days after it has budded on the plant.  However, you want to wait.

Once you've roasted it, it becomes "caribe/Carribean."  I love it with eggs/huevos, (no, not "xjuayvoes") in the morning.  It can go straight to the freezer before chopping it.  Some folks skip the peeling stage, then freeze it, does help peeling it after freezing.

After roasting, boil it, and add other food stuffs with it, or, set on table, as is.

Separate seeds, if you wish.  The seeds and "veins", visible prominently when opened, contain "capsaicin."  Capsaicin is what makes the pod "hot/spicy."  Lemon juice neutralizes the capsaicin, noticeably.  Jalapeños are pods, but, not chilis.  You should consider removing the vein, in jalapeños, or chilis, but, do not touch sensitive body parts with those fingers.  They are to body parts, what onions are to your eyes.

An Albuquerque meatpacker distributed "Coronado Weiners."  Known as "red weiners," they are delicious unburnt, or roasted, fork-style over the stove burners, just don't use your favorite silverware for that.  Wrapped in a flour tortilia, with caribe, the combo has been my solace in the wilderness.

Oh!  Do not eat chili, and chase it with sody pop.  No, sir.  Hiccups, at least, with me.

A bushel currently runs fifty bucks, and climbing.  Start ordering seed for the rest of Covid.

Chili is harvested by hand.  It is backbreaking work, for the farmer, and even worse for the farm workers.  Please patronize union shops.  That practice will honor Cesar Chavez.

I try to buy mine from Chimayo, but, they have a cult following, and prices fluctuate among families, but they are expensive.  Therefore, I buy them in burlap from wallMare, usually Hatch, NM chili, or Las Cruces, NM.  And, the stores have burning tumblers that quickly roast them.  Occasionally, I buy them, pack up the barbecue spit, and head for the mountains, to enjoy an evening of romance.

I call her "Hot Lips."

Pi lover

abiquiuense wrote:

Seriously, purslane is loaded with Omega3, but the doc won't dismiss me from aspirin, prasugrel, a beta blocker, atoravastatin, two needle injected insulins, one pill makes me taller, one pill makes me small, but the ones the doctor gives me, do not contraindicate . . . the "just in case" pill.

David

That shaggy dog story was so shaggy they made a rug out of it !!!

Pi lover
Walking again

All shots taken with the RX100Va and processed in ACDsee.

The morning walk was at 23 Celcius which was very comfortable. By this afternoon it's 29. This will be the hottest day this week probably. There was a nice house for sale which is a heritage place for $1.6 million. 11 foot ceilings, 14 inch high baseboards, several wood stoves.

One of the bed and breakfasts on the river has really nice gardens. With over 15 million people in Ontario we have about 150-200 new cases of covid a day. Lots of people have 2 shots already. Many things have been opened up close to normal.

This is part of the power generation that got put in. Water is low and slow at this time of the year.

The lillies at home.

abiquiuense

Pi lover wrote:

abiquiuense wrote:

David

That shaggy dog story was so shaggy they made a rug out of it !!!

Would you please rephrase this, Grant.  I think that it's a very subtle agreement with my innuendo, yet, I want to be sure.  If I end up getting hurt, at least I know that I'm alive.

Thinking of you, and Member Alwyn, (guy with the eagles) I am so sorry about the change in climate which Western Canada has experienced.

Today I cruised through my "creative" four hours in dPR, and must now exercise, another four hours, by the time I include my photography with it.

So, if I may,

TTYL

Birddogman

Around here, we'd call that Mexican food.  I mostly like it.  Am a big fan of spicy food, but not the red hot kind.

-- hide signature --
Birddogman
Re: Bill Borne, and . . .

#3 is world class.  Wow!

-- hide signature --
Birddogman
Re: Chili con weenies.

YUM!!!

-- hide signature --
Birddogman
Re: Walking again

Nice to see you got out.  Beautiful old home!

-- hide signature --
Birddogman
Finally a dog run today

The weather here has ben horrible - very hot, humid and rainy.  I do no do well in such conditions.  Today, it was finally down to 85F, but still with tons of humidity, so, in desperate need of exercise, we took the first dog run for a while.

Nothing slows the dogs down if they can stay wet.  There was an hour-long wild goose chase at the pretty lake.  Joy at work:

Nancy by the steamy lake:

Greg

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads