RX 10 IV Deals or time to buy?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
erief0g New Member • Posts: 6
RX 10 IV Deals or time to buy?

So I've come to the conclusion that this is the camera for what I want to do. Primarily dog sports. Ie protection, schuntzhund, obedience.

Since I've realized what I want is, to me at least, incredibly expensive I wondered if there is a better time to buy?

Rebates? Labor day sale? Black Friday? I'm wondering if there is savings that are worth the wait. The counter to that point is I would like some time to acclimate to the camera before I necessarily need it. My personal dog training won't begin until mid November.

Thoughts and advice? I'm currently considering the package at adorama.com and the five year drops and spills warranty.

https://www.adorama.com/isorx10m4b.html

InkedMarie
InkedMarie Senior Member • Posts: 1,586
Re: RX 10 IV Deals or time to buy?
1

If you’re in the US, KEH, MPB and B&H are all reputable to buy used gear from. Might be able to save some cash that way.

Marie

 InkedMarie's gear list:InkedMarie's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P950 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS
Ontarian Senior Member • Posts: 1,912
Re: RX 10 IV Deals or time to buy?
1

I've been looking at that camera for a couple of months, but no store near by has one in stock to actually hold and try.

This is the best price I have seen yet.

https://www.abesofmaine.com/Sony_Cyber-shot_DSC-RX10_IV_Digital_Camera_1037347.html

 Ontarian's gear list:Ontarian's gear list
Sony RX10 IV
Ed B
Ed B Forum Pro • Posts: 11,478
Re: RX 10 IV Deals or time to buy?

Everyone is different but I absolutely refuse to pay such a high price for a camera with only a one-inch sensor.

The RX10 IV is big, heavy and isn't worth much when it comes to indoor/;lower light photography.

If you want something much less expensive you might take a look at a camera like the original Panasonic FZ1000 or one of the newer Panasonic bridge cameras.

Image quality is almost identical to the RX10 series cameras and the Panasonic cameras cost a lot less.

You can find lightly used FZ1000 cameras for dirt cheap and they're still one of the best bridge cameras a person can own.

ChelseaPhotographer
ChelseaPhotographer Senior Member • Posts: 1,091
Re: RX 10 IV Deals or time to buy?
2

Ontarian wrote:

I've been looking at that camera for a couple of months, but no store near by has one in stock to actually hold and try.

This is the best price I have seen yet.

https://www.abesofmaine.com/Sony_Cyber-shot_DSC-RX10_IV_Digital_Camera_1037347.html

I would not buy from Abes of Maine. Lots of people saying they are terrible.

 ChelseaPhotographer's gear list:ChelseaPhotographer's gear list
SeaLife DC2000 Ricoh GR III Pentax 645Z Canon EOS 5DS Nikon D850 +1 more
NowHearThis
NowHearThis Veteran Member • Posts: 4,205
Re: RX 10 IV Deals or time to buy?
1

InkedMarie wrote:

If you’re in the US, KEH, MPB and B&H are all reputable to buy used gear from. Might be able to save some cash that way.

Marie

Agreed.  I recently got my EM1.2 from MPB.  It was a little lower priced there.  Very satisfied, will be ordering more from them in the future.

-- hide signature --

NHT

 NowHearThis's gear list:NowHearThis's gear list
Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7
OP erief0g New Member • Posts: 6
Re: RX 10 IV Deals or time to buy?

ChelseaPhotographer wrote:

Ontarian wrote:

I've been looking at that camera for a couple of months, but no store near by has one in stock to actually hold and try.

This is the best price I have seen yet.

https://www.abesofmaine.com/Sony_Cyber-shot_DSC-RX10_IV_Digital_Camera_1037347.html

I would not buy from Abes of Maine. Lots of people saying they are terrible.

Thanks for the heads up.  I'm very new to this.  I'm more inclined to purchase new with extended warranty simply due to my inexperience.  Good info on who to do business with and who not to

Ontarian Senior Member • Posts: 1,912
Re: RX 10 IV Deals or time to buy?

That's good to know.  Only on-line camera shop I've ever dealt with is B&H.

They were very good to deal with.

 Ontarian's gear list:Ontarian's gear list
Sony RX10 IV
ChelseaPhotographer
ChelseaPhotographer Senior Member • Posts: 1,091
Re: RX 10 IV Deals or time to buy?

erief0g wrote:

ChelseaPhotographer wrote:

Ontarian wrote:

I've been looking at that camera for a couple of months, but no store near by has one in stock to actually hold and try.

This is the best price I have seen yet.

https://www.abesofmaine.com/Sony_Cyber-shot_DSC-RX10_IV_Digital_Camera_1037347.html

I would not buy from Abes of Maine. Lots of people saying they are terrible.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm very new to this. I'm more inclined to purchase new with extended warranty simply due to my inexperience. Good info on who to do business with and who not to

I use e-Infinity quite a bit:

https://www.e-infin.com/ww/item/3454/sony_cyber-shot_dsc-rx10_iv_digital_camera_mark_mk_4

But I also use B&H and Adorama quite a bit. It just depends on what kind of deal you can get.

 ChelseaPhotographer's gear list:ChelseaPhotographer's gear list
SeaLife DC2000 Ricoh GR III Pentax 645Z Canon EOS 5DS Nikon D850 +1 more
OP erief0g New Member • Posts: 6
Re: RX 10 IV Deals or time to buy?
1

I've found a few unhappy adorama customers when trying to use the warranty.  Quite the opposite with BH photo.  Still figuring my best options and vendor

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads