P950_close-up tip_follow-up thank you

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
p900learner
p900learner Senior Member • Posts: 1,735
P950_close-up tip_follow-up thank you

Awhile back Dodge_Rock provided a nice macro/closeup tip with Sherman_Levine adding an additional tip. I've been using these tips and thought they deserved a review and a thank you. Such practical, helpful tips. Perhaps of help to new P950 users as well.

I paraphrased, because I made my own document to have for sharing with friends who are new P950 users.

Tip: switching focus to manual allows you to get much closer to your subject at higher telephoto focal lengths. For when using small-spot focus won’t lock in and focus -

Flipping the focus lever (top of the camera back - you have a small lever -MF/AF) to MF/manual. You can now roll the right side of the camera wheel to the minimum focus level & voila, white peaking highlighted focus.

Sherman added: switching to MF and tapping the AF (right arrow) button will achieve focus on nearby objects when neither AF nor AF_macro focus is successful.

Using the above AF right arrow button is very fast for focusing.

TIP - when using Manual Focus - holding the camera. Support the camera under the lens immediately in front of the tripod socket with your thumb and spin the side dial with your pointer finger to focus on the subject.

My hands are small, maybe I haven't practiced enough - but its a bit awkward, so I've been using the suggested Right Arrow button.

Thanks again Dodge-Rock and Sherman.

Ev

-- hide signature --
 p900learner's gear list:p900learner's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P950 FastStone Image Viewer PhotoScape
Elliern Senior Member • Posts: 1,707
Re: P950_close-up tip_follow-up thank you

Thanks for sharing your experience as well as the recommended tips from others

-- hide signature --

Ellie
Enjoy the Moments!
“What day is it?” asked Pooh.
“It’s today,” squeaked Piglet.
“My favorite day,” said Pooh.
A.A. Milne

Elliern's gear list:Elliern's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon Coolpix P610 Nikon D5100 Sony a6000 Nikon D5500
p900learner
OP p900learner Senior Member • Posts: 1,735

Elliern wrote:

Thanks for sharing your experience as well as the recommended tips from others

You're welcome Ellie. I hadn't been using MF at all to do close-ups - this method just works better especially when you can't get the camera to focus on the small subject.

Ev

-- hide signature --
sherman_levine
MOD sherman_levine Forum Pro • Posts: 13,306

Ev,

Glad the suggestions were helpful.

If you get to the point that you tripod-mount your camera, you'll find that an inexpensive focusing rail will make adjusting the distance from camera to subject much simpler.

sherman_levine's gear list:sherman_levine's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Sony RX10 IV Nikon Coolpix P950
p900learner

sherman_levine wrote:

Ev,

Glad the suggestions were helpful.

If you get to the point that you tripod-mount your camera, you'll find that an inexpensive focusing rail will make adjusting the distance from camera to subject much simpler.

Thanks for the tip Sherman, but I won't be using a tripod - I don't want to carry it, plus I am in and out of the car quite often when in the field - its an inconvenience, plus I don't have the physical stamina to carry a tripod.

I had thought of using a monopod, some point that may be a consideration.

Ev

-- hide signature --
DAP MV
DAP MV Contributing Member • Posts: 767

p900learner wrote:

…plus I don't have the physical stamina to carry a tripod.

Carbon fiber tripods are light. (They are more expensive than aluminum tripods, though.)

-- hide signature --

Darius

DAP MV's gear list:DAP MV's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P1000 Nikon Coolpix P950
p900learner

DAP MV wrote:

p900learner wrote:

…plus I don't have the physical stamina to carry a tripod.

Carbon fiber tripods are light. (They are more expensive than aluminum tripods, though.)

Thanks for the suggestion - but the way I bird, and visit nature a tripod is not useful or something I'd ever consider.  I have a good tripod I could use, just take my spotting scope off, but they do not work for me.  Another reason no long-lens dslr/mirrorless for me - don't have the strength, stamina for proper hand holding and tripods don't work for me.

Ev

-- hide signature --
Texas hobbyist
Texas hobbyist Contributing Member • Posts: 854

Thank you! I always appreciate tips and try to remember to bookmark them or copy them, but sometimes I miss, so thank you!!!

Texas hobbyist's gear list:Texas hobbyist's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon Coolpix A Panasonic ZS100 Nikon Coolpix B700 Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS70 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads