Strange flaring Sigma FP with Laowa 10-18mm

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
sootyvrs Contributing Member • Posts: 629
Strange flaring Sigma FP with Laowa 10-18mm

Was out on a hike yesterday in not ideal lighting mid day sun and took some images with the sun in it to see how it handles flare at got some odd artifacts.

Curious to know if it's lens flare or perhaps sensor reflections of some sort?

Probably not many using this camera lens combo but wondered if anyone else has seen this  before?

This is was shot at 10mm f/8 shot 14 bit DNG converted Lightroom

sootyvrs's gear list:sootyvrs's gear list
Canon G3 X Sony RX100 VI Sigma fp Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 Sigma fp L +8 more
agfa100 Contributing Member • Posts: 602
Re: Strange flaring Sigma FP with Laowa 10-18mm

I tend to think this is due to the lens, I have one in a sony mt. and I know that I need to be very careful as it will flare easily due to it being so wide. It's fun to use but you must pay attention.

Enjoy

agfa100's gear list:agfa100's gear list
Sony RX1 Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Sony a7S Sigma fp Canon Pixma Pro-100
sunnycal
sunnycal Contributing Member • Posts: 600

agfa100 wrote:

I tend to think this is due to the lens, I have one in a sony mt. and I know that I need to be very careful as it will flare easily due to it being so wide. It's fun to use but you must pay attention.

Enjoy

Right. This has nothing to do with the camera and quite normal for this kind of lens.

sunnycal's gear list:sunnycal's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D810 Sony a6300 Sony a7R III Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +13 more
OP sootyvrs Contributing Member • Posts: 629

Thanks both

sootyvrs's gear list:sootyvrs's gear list
Canon G3 X Sony RX100 VI Sigma fp Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 Sigma fp L +8 more
Johan Borg Veteran Member • Posts: 3,259

sunnycal wrote:

agfa100 wrote:

Enjoy

Right. This has nothing to do with the camera and quite normal for this kind of lens.

Probably, but earlier Sigma cameras, particularly the fixed-lens ones like DP2 Merrill, were known to produce precisely this kind of red dot pattern if shooting into the sun like here. I assumed it to be a quirk of the Foveon sensor, but it can clearly happen without one.

Johan Borg's gear list:Johan Borg's gear list
Sigma dp2 Quattro Sigma fp Sigma 45mm F2.8 DG DN
agfa100 Contributing Member • Posts: 602

When I started with digital I used a SD-9 and 14 and one of the lenses I had, still have is a EX 15mm not a DG the DG was added after they added coatings on the rear of some of the lenses elements due to excessive flare issues which I have seen with this lens and my older Sigma cameras. This does not look the same plus Sigma does not make this Bayer sensor. I could be very wrong but it's my 0.02 cents worth.

agfa100's gear list:agfa100's gear list
Sony RX1 Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Sony a7S Sigma fp Canon Pixma Pro-100
Johan Borg Veteran Member • Posts: 3,259

agfa100 wrote:

When I started with digital I used a SD-9 and 14 and one of the lenses I had, still have is a EX 15mm not a DG the DG was added after they added coatings on the rear of some of the lenses elements due to excessive flare issues which I have seen with this lens and my older Sigma cameras. This does not look the same plus Sigma does not make this Bayer sensor. I could be very wrong but it's my 0.02 cents worth.

I just thought this (which I've seen on an old DP1s myself) looked rather similar:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62084194

Johan Borg's gear list:Johan Borg's gear list
Sigma dp2 Quattro Sigma fp Sigma 45mm F2.8 DG DN
Kharan
Kharan Senior Member • Posts: 2,202

Those are sensor reflections, and they happen with most mirrorless cameras. Newer Sonys have a better AR coating that reduce the effect, as do newer Olympus and Fujifilm cameras. Canon, Nikon, Sigma and Panasonic all still suffer from them, however.

-- hide signature --

"Chase the light around the world
I want to look at life
In the available light" - Rush, 'Available Light'

Kharan's gear list:Kharan's gear list
Pentax Q Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z fc +22 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads