Is the Oly 12-45 the smallest and lightest sealed lens in MFT?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
IWBF
IWBF Regular Member • Posts: 356
Is the Oly 12-45 the smallest and lightest sealed lens in MFT?

...or are there other lenses for MFT that are either smaller (in length) or lighter and weather sealed?

Thanks.

kallekarl999 New Member • Posts: 13
Re: Is the Oly 12-45 the smallest and lightest sealed lens in MFT?

The Panasonic Lumix 12-60  (Not the Leica version) is lighter but not smaller.

Jappie52 Regular Member • Posts: 188

Panasonic Leica 25mm f/1.4 II both lighter and smaller.

IWBF
OP IWBF Regular Member • Posts: 356

kallekarl999 wrote:

The Panasonic Lumix 12-60 (Not the Leica version) is lighter but not smaller.

and cheaper

IWBF

Jappie52 wrote:

Ah yes, I tend to forget that one. Version I (non-sealed) was very popular if I remember correctly.

I wish there was something realy small like the 20mm or the 12-32...

IWBF wrote:

Jappie52 wrote:

Ah yes, I tend to forget that one. Version I (non-sealed) was very popular if I remember correctly.

People - at least on this forum - have been asking for small weather sealed primes for years now. So far no luck.

I just realized I forgot the Oly 60mm macro. Not exactly small, but definitely the lightest.

IWBF

Jappie52 wrote:

I just realized I forgot the Oly 60mm macro. Not exactly small, but definitely the lightest.

Yes, its a bit lighter than the PL25. For me its about balance on a small body and without handling one can probably not judge what feels right and what not.

mchnz Senior Member • Posts: 1,619

IWBF wrote:

...or are there other lenses for MFT that are either smaller (in length) or lighter and weather sealed?

Thanks.

A used 12-50mm would be a light (and cheap).  Plus it has an optional electronic zoom and an L-Fn button.

Orangorill
Orangorill Regular Member • Posts: 211

Jappie52 wrote:

IWBF wrote:

Jappie52 wrote:

People - at least on this forum - have been asking for small weather sealed primes for years now. So far no luck.

Fuji finally made a tiny WR lens... and bundled it with a non-WR camera.

Would love to see Panasonic release a WR GX10/20mm 1.7 II bundle, I'd pick it up day one.

Orangorill's gear list:Orangorill's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +8 more
IWBF

Orangorill wrote:

Jappie52 wrote:

IWBF wrote:

Jappie52 wrote:

Fuji finally made a tiny WR lens... and bundled it with a non-WR camera.

That lens actually prompted my interest in the topic.

Would love to see Panasonic release a WR GX10/20mm 1.7 II bundle, I'd pick it up day one.

You probably meant 20mm 1.7 III

prsc Regular Member • Posts: 240

Jappie52 wrote:

IWBF wrote:

Jappie52 wrote:

Would be nice but I don't think they would be willing to pay extra for that weather sealing. Many - at least on this forum and others - think that pretty much everything is already too expensive...

Harold66
Harold66 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,199

prsc wrote:

Jappie52 wrote:

IWBF wrote:

Jappie52 wrote:

Would be nice but I don't think they would be willing to pay extra for that weather sealing. Many - at least on this forum and others - think that pretty much everything is already too expensive...

Unfortunately ,that s probably true 

This is why I think it would be better for Panasonic to come out with a more developed Leica version  of the 20mm , like a  weather sealed dual IS 1.4/20mm to have a more high  end option for this very popular focal length

Harold

-- hide signature --

FOLLOW me on IG @ledaylightstudio.
thedemandingtraveler.org
www.haroldglit.com
IG :thedemandingtraveler

Harold66's gear list:Harold66's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Ricoh GR II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +5 more
IWBF

prsc wrote:

Jappie52 wrote:

IWBF wrote:

Jappie52 wrote:

I do not think so, in fact I see some incredible deals right now especially for FF. Canon RP body for 800 US$ equivalent. Nikon Z5 kit for 1'200, Pana S5 Kit for 1'500. That is the same territory as E-M5 III with 12-40 and much cheaper than E-M1 III. In my book size, weight and tele-reach are the only points in favour of MFT and it makes no sense to me that I even have to ask if there are small WS lenses.

Harold66

IWBF wrote:

prsc wrote:

Jappie52 wrote:

IWBF wrote:

Jappie52 wrote:

I do not think so, in fact I see some incredible deals right now especially for FF. Canon RP body for 800 US$ equivalent. Nikon Z5 kit for 1'200, Pana S5 Kit for 1'500. That is the same territory as E-M5 III with 12-40 and much cheaper than E-M1 III.

Yes this matters ONLY for those who think they might be better off with 35mm sensor. Me I am lucky that I could not use 35mm for my work so I would buy m4/3 even IF this was more expensive than 35mm system

In my book size, weight and tele-reach are the only points in favour of MFT

As you said each has his own. For me the main reason to choose m4/3 is not even part of your three reasons . so there are not three reasons in favour of met , just three that matters to YOU

Harold

-- hide signature --

thedemandingtraveler.org
www.haroldglit.com

Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Ricoh GR II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +5 more
IWBF

Harold66 wrote:

IWBF wrote:

prsc wrote:

Jappie52 wrote:

IWBF wrote:

Jappie52 wrote:

I do not think so, in fact I see some incredible deals right now especially for FF. Canon RP body for 800 US$ equivalent. Nikon Z5 kit for 1'200, Pana S5 Kit for 1'500. That is the same territory as E-M5 III with 12-40 and much cheaper than E-M1 III.

Yes this matters ONLY for those who think they might be better off with 35mm sensor. Me I am lucky that I could not use 35mm for my work so I would buy m4/3 even IF this was more expensive than 35mm system

As you said each has his own. For me the main reason to choose m4/3 is not even part of your three reasons . so there are not three reasons in favour of met , just three that matters to YOU

Harold

Well maybe a fourth for me would be that I like the aspect ratio. But now I am curious: could you please give your reasons?

Harold66
Re: Imy number 1 is your number 4

IWBF wrote:

Harold66 wrote:

IWBF wrote:

prsc wrote:

Jappie52 wrote:

IWBF wrote:

Jappie52 wrote:

Harold

Well maybe a fourth for me would be that I like the aspect ratio. But now I am curious: could you please give your reasons?

Sure can 

My  income comes party from selling prints of my work . for me , the number one reason BY FaR is the 4.3 aspect ratio. Having grown my photography with medium format film cameras , I discovered early that I rarely hate the 3.2 ratio 

when shooting horizontally , this may work for landscapes for many but for other subjects not so much

PLUS , the 3.2 ratio when shooting verticals is simply HORRENDOUS and I shoot verticals like 80% of the time

I would even prefer a 5.4 ratio like in my day with 6x7 MF film cameras but 4.3 is still very nice and more proficient for horizontals images

so your number 4 reason is my number  1

I can think of FOUR more reasons in addition to these 4 that applies to me

• my number 2 reason would probably be the extra DOF. contrary to popular myth , there are many times when more DOF is needed . in this case being able to shoot at base iso at F4 is better that having to shoot F8 at 800 iso . in my opinion , it kinds of erases the supposed two stops noise advantage  of 35mm over mft
  •  another advantage is the total cost for the investment . even if some aps and 35mm are coming in price , when one look at the total investment between cameras , lenses, accessories , mft is still ahead
  • lens line up. even if some other brands have good offerings , nothing matches in BOTH quantity and quality the m43 lens line up
  • Finally , there is that other thing . I started m43 with Olympus in 4/3 then old in m4/3 and they had some good models but  when my em5II broke (again with the same issue) I was forced to use the Panasonic G9 . what a revelation it was . as a reviewer and a photographer , I ve got to try many cameras and I have never have an ILC digital camera with so amazing ergonomics . Now that the price has come down under 1,000 euros or dollars it is such a bargain . I do not think that there is a digital cropped sensor camera with such good ergonomics  ( I have two g9 bodies and do not need anything else really )

I am confident that other may have additional reasons too 

Harold

-- hide signature --

thedemandingtraveler.org
www.haroldglit.com

IWBF
Re: Imy number 1 is your number 4

Harold66 wrote:

IWBF wrote:

Harold66 wrote:

IWBF wrote:

prsc wrote:

Jappie52 wrote:

IWBF wrote:

Jappie52 wrote:

Harold

Sure can

My income comes party from selling prints of my work . for me , the number one reason BY FaR is the 4.3 aspect ratio. Having grown my photography with medium format film cameras , I discovered early that I rarely hate the 3.2 ratio

when shooting horizontally , this may work for landscapes for many but for other subjects not so much

PLUS , the 3.2 ratio when shooting verticals is simply HORRENDOUS and I shoot verticals like 80% of the time

I would even prefer a 5.4 ratio like in my day with 6x7 MF film cameras but 4.3 is still very nice and more proficient for horizontals images

so your number 4 reason is my number 1

I can think of FOUR more reasons in addition to these 4 that applies to me

• my number 2 reason would probably be the extra DOF. contrary to popular myth , there are many times when more DOF is needed . in this case being able to shoot at base iso at F4 is better that having to shoot F8 at 800 iso . in my opinion , it kinds of erases the supposed two stops noise advantage of 35mm over mft
  • another advantage is the total cost for the investment . even if some aps and 35mm are coming in price , when one look at the total investment between cameras , lenses, accessories , mft is still ahead
  • lens line up. even if some other brands have good offerings , nothing matches in BOTH quantity and quality the m43 lens line up
  • Finally , there is that other thing . I started m43 with Olympus in 4/3 then old in m4/3 and they had some good models but when my em5II broke (again with the same issue) I was forced to use the Panasonic G9 . what a revelation it was . as a reviewer and a photographer , I ve got to try many cameras and I have never have an ILC digital camera with so amazing ergonomics . Now that the price has come down under 1,000 euros or dollars it is such a bargain . I do not think that there is a digital cropped sensor camera with such good ergonomics ( I have two g9 bodies and do not need anything else really )

I am confident that other may have additional reasons too

Harold

Thanks!

mchnz Senior Member • Posts: 1,619

prsc wrote:

Jappie52 wrote:

IWBF wrote:

Jappie52 wrote:

In several cases I've not even been willing to pay extra for electronics.

Of the last five primes I've purchased, two have been m4/3 manual lenses (Laowa 7mm and Meike 4mm), two have been adapted-film lenses (Zuiko MC 50mm f/3.5 Auto-Macro, Zuiko MC f/1.8), and the fifth was a second hand m4/3 300 f/4 (which is weather sealed, but definitely doesn't count for this discussion). I'm very tempted by the TTArtisan 35mm f/1.4, which can be had for about US$70, but I'm resisting.

Michael Meissner
Michael Meissner Forum Pro • Posts: 27,192

The old Olympus 12-50 f/3.5-6.3 lens is lighter, smaller, and has a slower aperture at the long end:

12-50 f/3.5-6.3 EZ: 211g, 48mm
12-45 f/4: 254g, 70mm

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II +23 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads