*** CIC 220: Summertime ***

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Traveller Veteran Member • Posts: 6,270
Luminious or....Rodent Doo-Doo Droppings?

...as people must know, I had some real fondness for my image titled Luminous...I even worked it kind of hard to make it as good as possible for, what was essentially a throwaway-why not shoot it? image.

I  liked it, I worked it...the image may not have been my best work, or even best flower work....but it was not embarrassingly bad...which is kind of how I measure myself now, as full of my day job  as I am again.

Be that as it may, someone has dropped me a note saying....The problem is that from looking at the picture, Luminous, especially from the thumbnail....this looks like rodent poo-poo and I was afraid to even open the picture...sorry.

Well, this got my attention! I can almost see what they were saying now that it has been pointed out to me.

This maybe a good example of...Often we think we are taking a picture of X, but everyone else thinks it is Y.

Curious, does anyone else get a doo-doo vibe from this picture?

Thanks.

Best wishes, Traveller

Jim B (MSP) Forum Pro • Posts: 11,180
Re: Luminious or....Rodent Doo-Doo Droppings?

Traveller wrote:

...as people must know, I had some real fondness for my image titled Luminous...I even worked it kind of hard to make it as good as possible for, what was essentially a throwaway-why not shoot it? image.

I liked it, I worked it...the image may not have been my best work, or even best flower work....but it was not embarrassingly bad...which is kind of how I measure myself now, as full of my day job as I am again.

Be that as it may, someone has dropped me a note saying....The problem is that from looking at the picture, Luminous, especially from the thumbnail....this looks like rodent poo-poo and I was afraid to even open the picture...sorry.

It does not look that way to me. The background is clearly a flower.

Well, this got my attention! I can almost see what they were saying now that it has been pointed out to me.

This maybe a good example of...Often we think we are taking a picture of X, but everyone else thinks it is Y.

Only if you look at the dark parts alone. They don't help to see the beauty of the flower. But it is what nature provides you.

Thanks.

Best wishes, Traveller

-- hide signature --

Jim
"It's all about the light"

Jim B (MSP)'s gear list:Jim B (MSP)'s gear list
Canon EOS 90D
Re: A Shout Out for T for 2 (such a smart title!)

Traveller wrote:

...however Jim will be forced to banish you to Exhibition I guess, or that is what I would recommend...there needs to be both a name and date on the picture to remain in Eligible.

Please.

Thanks

Best Wishes, Traveller

I'm confused. But maybe something was changed before I saw this.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Canon EOS 90D
Dave
OP Dave Veteran Member • Posts: 5,916
Re: A Shout Out for T for 2 (such a smart title!)

Traveller wrote:

...however Jim will be forced to banish you to Exhibition I guess, or that is what I would recommend...there needs to be both a name and date on the picture to remain in Eligible.

Please.

Thanks

Best Wishes, Traveller

Seems to be gone now.  I wonder whose it was.

Dave's gear list:Dave's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +10 more
Uploaded

Sue Anne Rush wrote:

Done baling hay

Uploaded to Eligible

-- hide signature --

Jim

Canon EOS 90D
sparkey2
sparkey2 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,070

Traveller wrote:

I liked it, I worked it...the image may not have been my best work, or even best flower work....but it was not embarrassingly bad...which is kind of how I measure myself now, as full of my day job as I am again.

Thanks.

Best wishes, Traveller

Dog cr@p or not that one is my overwhelming favorite of the entries and if I could I’d give it all 5 votes.  Ignore the radical noise makers, all they want is to stir up trouble, it’s a sign of insecurity and personal weakness on their part. Don’t let them prey on you!

T for 2 was mine, I went back and added the pertinent info Saturday morning but apparently forgot to hit update the image button. No matter I decided I didn’t like it anyway and deleted it.  I don’t like anything I’m doing with the camera lately.  It’s a me thing!

Dave

sparkey2 wrote:

Traveller wrote:

Thanks.

Best wishes, Traveller

Dog cr@p or not that one is my overwhelming favorite of the entries and if I could I’d give it all 5 votes. Ignore the radical noise makers, all they want is to stir up trouble, it’s a sign of insecurity and personal weakness on their part. Don’t let them prey on you!

T for 2 was mine, I went back and added the pertinent info Saturday morning but apparently forgot to hit update the image button. No matter I decided I didn’t like it anyway and deleted it. I don’t like anything I’m doing with the camera lately. It’s a me thing!

Rodent droppings?  Really?  My mind went straight to flower and stayed there.  And I like the image a lot.

Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +10 more

sparkey2 wrote:

I don’t like anything I’m doing with the camera lately. It’s a me thing!

I can relate at times. Though some of my problem lies in just getting started and excited about shooting anything.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Canon EOS 90D
aglake
aglake Regular Member • Posts: 435

Traveller wrote:

This is a good example of the folly of judging a picture from a thumbnail.  What makes this picture special is the subtly of the colors.  They really are luminous.

I don't think you can take seriously any criticism by someone who couldn't be bothered, by their own admission, to actually look at the picture.

aglake's gear list:aglake's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 X Canon PowerShot ELPH 190 IS Canon EOS 80D Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM +3 more

aglake wrote:

Traveller wrote:

This is a good example of the folly of judging a picture from a thumbnail. What makes this picture special is the subtly of the colors. They really are luminous.

I don't think you can take seriously any criticism by someone who couldn't be bothered, by their own admission, to actually look at the picture.

Well said.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Canon EOS 90D
Dave

Jim B (MSP) wrote:

aglake wrote:

Traveller wrote:

This is a good example of the folly of judging a picture from a thumbnail. What makes this picture special is the subtly of the colors. They really are luminous.

Well said.

I'll be happy to send that someone a picture of bear poop (long story, and yes it was in the woods) I took in Alaska.

Challenge ends today ...

Dave wrote:

Challenge Ends: Monday, August 09, 2021 23:59 Eastern Local Time
Challenge Pause: Tuesday, August 10, 2021 (No entries allowed)
Voting Begins: Wednesday, August 11, 2021 00:00 Eastern Local Time
Voting Ends: Thursday, August 12, 2021 23:59 Eastern Local Time

Voting will take place by shared email spreadsheet.
If you want to vote, send an email to jimmsp(--at--)aol.com

Be sure you only have a max of 4 entries in Eligible.

I renumber on Tuesday.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Canon EOS 90D
Dave
Re: *** CIC 220: Summertime ***

Some last-minute shuffling and an addition.  Flagging the finish with a summertime splash.

Sue Anne Rush
Sue Anne Rush Senior Member • Posts: 4,117

Excellent Photograph - reminds me of Alaska. 

Dave wrote:

Some last-minute shuffling and an addition. Flagging the finish with a summertime splash.

-- hide signature --

Sue Anne Rush

Sue Anne Rush's gear list:Sue Anne Rush's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II Canon EOS 7D
Dave

Thanks, Sue Anne.  South Sawyer Glacier at the head of Tracy Arm.

Sue Anne Rush wrote:

Excellent Photograph - reminds me of Alaska.

Dave wrote:

Some last-minute shuffling and an addition. Flagging the finish with a summertime splash.

Traveller Veteran Member • Posts: 6,270
Ahem, I Need to Lodge a Complaint with Management!

....why isn't this striking beauty not in Eligible? Or the Pod spraying picture?

Though I confess I do like the Blueberry's....a remarkable shot, especially with 5,000iso....which I would not have thought would be possible.

If you are up North...high dynamic range always....shoot RAW....but if necessary, crank up the iso....i prefer lower, but play around...spin that exposure compensation dial without fear or favor.

Traveller

Dave
Re: Ahem, I Need to Lodge a Complaint with Management!

Traveller wrote:

....why isn't this striking beauty not in Eligible? Or the Pod spraying picture?

Though I confess I do like the Blueberry's....a remarkable shot, especially with 5,000 iso....which I would not have thought would be possible.

If you are up North...high dynamic range always....shoot RAW....but if necessary, crank up the iso....i prefer lower, but play around...spin that exposure compensation dial without fear or favor.

Traveller

Thanks, Traveller. Are you up very early or very late? We're home from Alaska. I just didn't see a summer connection to either shot (I also suspect there are even better calving shots not yet reviewed/processed). As it is, the hungry eagle image is a bit forced. Maybe I'm too focused on the challenge's theme? I've happily gotten away with high ISO since buying my 80D. Maybe Topaz will help those shots look even better?

Re: Ahem, I Need to Lodge a Complaint with Management!

Dave wrote:

Traveller wrote:

Though I confess I do like the Blueberry's....a remarkable shot, especially with 5,000 iso....which I would not have thought would be possible.

Traveller

Thanks, Traveller. Are you up very early or very late? We're home from Alaska. I just didn't see a summer connection to either shot (I also suspect there are even better calving shots not yet reviewed/processed). As it is, the hungry eagle image is a bit forced. Maybe I'm too focused on the challenge's theme? I've happily gotten away with high ISO since buying my 80D. Maybe Topaz will help those shots look even better?

I tend to focus on the theme as well. I feel it pushes my older brain a bit.

And yes, Topaz AI will help make a lot of shots look better. But take your time and get them right.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Canon EOS 90D
Re: *** CIC 220: Summertime *** Voting sheet is now open

Dave wrote:

CIC 220: Summertime

Voting Begins: Now

As I am tied up later, I got the sheet done early and shared it with the regulars.

Voting will end when all ballots have been received.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Canon EOS 90D
Re: *** CIC 220: Summertime *** Voting sheet is now open

Jim B (MSP) wrote:

Dave wrote:

CIC 220: Summertime

Voting Begins: Now

As I am tied up later, I got the sheet done early and shared it with the regulars.

Voting will end when all ballots have been received.

Two regulars left to vote.

Anybody else?

You can just send me a list of your top 5 favorites and I'll fill it in for you.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Canon EOS 90D
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads