Dave
OP Dave Veteran Member • Posts: 5,846
Re: *** CIC 220: Summertime ***

Let's keep the music going!

Here's the song Traveller shared with one of his images

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=summer+in+the+city+lyrics

And here's a new one from me:

Dave's gear list:Dave's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +10 more
Dave
Re: Sue Anne - exhibition

Sue Anne Rush wrote:

Hot WIngs - the hotter the better.

Love them!  Where's the blue cheese?

I make Buffalo wing chili.  It's what's for dinner tomorrow.

Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +10 more
1Dx4me
1Dx4me Forum Pro • Posts: 12,048

Sue Anne Rush wrote:

gorgeous sunset, Sue Anne

The sky behind my house

-- hide signature --

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence!

Alastair Norcross Veteran Member • Posts: 8,008
Spock and Kirk

Paul asked to see a picture of Spock (especially the ears), so here's one. Unfortunately I lost the original file when a hard drive crashed (I've since adopted a policy of backing up to two hard drives at once), so this is the small web-sized version downloaded from Smugmug:

Definitely a Vulcan cat.

And here's Kirk:

We adopted them both from the Humane Society in 2009. As you can see, Spock's ears have extra pointy bits, so we had to call her Spock. That meant that we also had to call the other one Kirk (and he looks a bit like how I imagine William Shatner would look if he were reincarnated as a cat). Unfortunately, Kirk had a congenital heart defect, and only lived about four more years (he was around 2 when we adopted him). After he died, Spock started to get a bit pudgy, from not having another cat to run around with, so we knew we had to adopt another. And, of course, once the Star Trek theme had started, we had no choice but to continue it, so that's how McCoy got his name. We've never been dog people, but if we were, we'd have to get a scotty dog, and call it Scotty.

-- hide signature --

As the length of a thread approaches 150, the probability that someone will make the obvious "it's not the camera, it's the photographer" remark approaches 1.
Alastair
http://anorcross.smugmug.com
Equipment in profile

Alastair Norcross's gear list:Alastair Norcross's gear list
Canon G7 X II Canon EOS R Canon EOS M6 II Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM +26 more
Jim B (MSP) Forum Pro • Posts: 11,103
Re: Spock and Kirk

I love the idea of themed cats.

-- hide signature --

Jim
"It's all about the light"

Jim B (MSP)'s gear list:Jim B (MSP)'s gear list
Canon EOS 90D
sparkey2
sparkey2 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,063

Alastair Norcross wrote:

Paul asked to see a picture of Spock (especially the ears), so here's one. Unfortunately I lost the original file when a hard drive crashed (I've since adopted a policy of backing up to two hard drives at once), so this is the small web-sized version downloaded from Smugmug:

Definitely a Vulcan cat.

And here's Kirk:

We adopted them both from the Humane Society in 2009. As you can see, Spock's ears have extra pointy bits, so we had to call her Spock. That meant that we also had to call the other one Kirk (and he looks a bit like how I imagine William Shatner would look if he were reincarnated as a cat). Unfortunately, Kirk had a congenital heart defect, and only lived about four more years (he was around 2 when we adopted him). After he died, Spock started to get a bit pudgy, from not having another cat to run around with, so we knew we had to adopt another. And, of course, once the Star Trek theme had started, we had no choice but to continue it, so that's how McCoy got his name. We've never been dog people, but if we were, we'd have to get a scotty dog, and call it Scotty.

Thanks for showing the cats, really enjoyed seeing them and any beloved family pet.    I wonder if Spock might have been a feral cat with a little 2 or 3 generations back cross breeding occurring with a bobcat.  Those ears and eyes look eerily similar.    Paul

-- hide signature --

Sold off all my DSLR gear and now I’m a cellphone shooter.

Traveller Veteran Member • Posts: 6,253
Two Pounds of Cherries Ain't Nothin`
Sue Anne Rush
Sue Anne Rush Senior Member • Posts: 3,048

Hello...

Dave wrote:

Sue Anne Rush wrote:

Hot WIngs - the hotter the better.

Love them! Where's the blue cheese?

I make Buffalo wing chili. It's what's for dinner tomorrow.

The blue cheese is on the side. 

-- hide signature --

Sue Anne Rush

Sue Anne Rush's gear list:Sue Anne Rush's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D X Mark III
Sue Anne Rush
Sue Anne Rush Senior Member • Posts: 3,048

Beautiful. 

Alastair Norcross wrote:

Definitely a Vulcan cat.

And here's Kirk:

-- hide signature --

Sue Anne Rush

Sue Anne Rush's gear list:Sue Anne Rush's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D X Mark III
aglake
aglake Regular Member • Posts: 430

Better choices for names than my daughter & son-in-law chose: "boycat" and "girlcat".

But they are loved just the same.

aglake's gear list:aglake's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 X Canon PowerShot ELPH 190 IS Canon EOS 80D Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM +3 more
Dave

No “Smellycat”?

Alastair Norcross Veteran Member • Posts: 8,008
Two food pictures added to eligible

Summertime seems to be mostly about the food (and drink) for me and my wife!

-- hide signature --

As the length of a thread approaches 150, the probability that someone will make the obvious "it's not the camera, it's the photographer" remark approaches 1.
Alastair
http://anorcross.smugmug.com
Equipment in profile

Alastair Norcross's gear list:Alastair Norcross's gear list
Canon G7 X II Canon EOS R Canon EOS M6 II Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM +26 more
Dave

We're off to a great start, and I'm off in search of more summertime photos plus other miscellaneous adventures.  I hope to be able to check in from time-to-time but won't be solidly back home until a few days before the challenge ends.

Dave wrote:

We're off to a great start, and I'm off in search of more summertime photos plus other miscellaneous adventures. I hope to be able to check in from time-to-time but won't be solidly back home until a few days before the challenge ends.

Have a great trip.

We'll mind the store if needed.

I am hoping for some good summer storms in the next few days to give me another good summer shot or two.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Canon EOS 90D
I Phone photo winners

Paul can't complain about his "limitations". His shots are quite good.

Take a look at These are the Winners of the 2021 iPhone Photography Awards | PetaPixel

This sets a high bar for all of us.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Canon EOS 90D
A Summer Monsoon Rain

https://pbase.com/cichallenge/image/171820723

And we need it so badly. Glad to cancel golf today.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Canon EOS 90D
sparkey2
sparkey2 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,063
Re: I Phone photo winners

Jim B (MSP) wrote:

Paul can't complain about his "limitations". His shots are quite good.

Take a look at These are the Winners of the 2021 iPhone Photography Awards | PetaPixel

This sets a high bar for all of us.

Not sure “quite good” applies, more like acceptable to OK.  You’re right about the article! The camera in the newer iPhones can truly capture some fantastic imagery, only limited by the skill of the user.   Sometimes I think I made a mistake selling everything off but most of the time I’m very happy with the simplicity of it.  
Paul

-- hide signature --

Sold off all my DSLR gear and now I’m a cellphone shooter.

Traveller Veteran Member • Posts: 6,253
Speaking of Paul...a Thank You to Him, Jim, Dave, Alistair etc

....I know I haven't been pulling my weight around here lately....busy, busy the world is falling apart...(and I must like hearing that I am needed to help people out...so I do).

But last week a commercial sort of project naturally fell into my hands, wearing several hats as it were, and the photography was fun....but there was a slight shadow between items on the matte white board...and a certain reddish cast as is my wont when shooting in natural light...the work was good enough and even cleaned up pretty well in PS...but on my right shoulder sat Paul sadly shaking his head, and on my left was Jim saying do better, shoot it again....I did with some distant bounce flash and the color cast and shadow are entirely gone.

On the black matte, the holographic silver seals would not take flash at all! No how, never....but here judgement comes into play....it looks very nice with depth and like a hologram shot with my slow shutter and sniper steady hand...

So the project is done or getting done...and you guys were with me...just like real life.

Thank you.

Best Wishes, Traveller

PS Edit: Sorry, I can't post it...you know,

Re: Speaking of Paul...a Thank You to Him, Jim, Dave, Alistair etc

Traveller wrote:

....I know I haven't been pulling my weight around here lately....busy, busy the world is falling apart...(and I must like hearing that I am needed to help people out...so I do).

But last week a commercial sort of project naturally fell into my hands, wearing several hats as it were, and the photography was fun....but there was a slight shadow between items on the matte white board...and a certain reddish cast as is my wont when shooting in natural light...the work was good enough and even cleaned up pretty well in PS...but on my right shoulder sat Paul sadly shaking his head, and on my left was Jim saying do better, shoot it again....I did with some distant bounce flash and the color cast and shadow are entirely gone.

On the black matte, the holographic silver seals would not take flash at all! No how, never....but here judgement comes into play....it looks very nice with depth and like a hologram shot with my slow shutter and sniper steady hand...

So the project is done or getting done...and you guys were with me...just like real life.

Thank you.

Best Wishes, Traveller

PS Edit: Sorry, I can't post it...you know,

Wow. Still working.

And I am not surprised that your slow shutter speed worked well. You are the master at that.

I will just be happier when you finally upgrade to this year's software. The latest and greatest will both speed you up and give you more retouch capability. With your ongoing lawyer work and this occasional photo work, I am sue you can afford it.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Canon EOS 90D
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads