Need SD card advice for video

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Zendit_Outdoors Junior Member • Posts: 47
Need SD card advice for video

I want to get a 128gb SD card for filming (HD and 4K) video on my A7Riv and I’m wondering whether there’s a justification for spending $180 for the Sony Tough G (300mb/s) card over $60 Sony Tough M (277mb/s) card? I’d sure rather save the money but I’m willing to spend the extra if it’s actually worth it?

FWIW- I plan on getting an Atamos Ninja V before too long so that I can record in ProRes but I can’t afford it yet. Besides, I need more storage for internal recording when I won’t be running the Ninja. So, I do need to get some good memory. But again… I’d sure prefer to save all that $$ if I can!

Sony a7 Sony a7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
AlephNull Veteran Member • Posts: 3,014
Re: Need SD card advice for video

Zendit_Outdoors wrote:

I want to get a 128gb SD card for filming (HD and 4K) video on my A7Riv and I’m wondering whether there’s a justification for spending $180 for the Sony Tough G (300mb/s) card over $60 Sony Tough M (277mb/s) card? I’d sure rather save the money but I’m willing to spend the extra if it’s actually worth it?

FWIW- I plan on getting an Atamos Ninja V before too long so that I can record in ProRes but I can’t afford it yet. Besides, I need more storage for internal recording when I won’t be running the Ninja. So, I do need to get some good memory. But again… I’d sure prefer to save all that $$ if I can!

Well, video does not need the extra speed - I am fairly sure that the M series cards are rated V90 (you might want to check that). I have only G series cards, but I shoot uncompressed RAW stills on the A7RIV, and that can make a difference (even more on the insane A1).

If you decide to go for the M, though, you have the option of getting a larger card - the M cards come in 256 or even 512, I think (G tops out at 128).

AlephNull's gear list:AlephNull's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony a1 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM +3 more
Mr_Win Senior Member • Posts: 1,235

this is really up to you

for myself, I like small, efficient, and high quality files. I dont care for the non compressed format because I shoot a ton of video, and I dont find the quality difference to be worth it. With v60, I can shoot 4K 24, 30, 60, and 120. That's good enough for me.

I'm using basic sony v60 cards @ 256GB, which was on sale for 70-80 bucks a pop from what I recall. Doesnt break the bank, and enough that I can store my entire vacation on each card.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1512383-REG/sony_sfe256_t1_sf_e_series_uhs_ii_sd.html

-- hide signature --

edit: I missed the part about Riv, no use buying an expensive card, the riv has max 100mbps video, get yourself a v30 rated card, which are dirt cheap.

something like this will work fine: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1536568-REG/silicon_power_sp512gbstxdv3v20sp_512gb_superior_v30_ush_3.html

yes, it's micro, and yes it works.  keep it in the housing and never remove the housing.

TristanW
TristanW Contributing Member • Posts: 785

for 7R4 bit rate, SF-E is pretty good enough, and very fast to readout

-- hide signature --

Tristan.W

TristanW's gear list:TristanW's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM +3 more
OP Zendit_Outdoors Junior Member • Posts: 47

TristanW wrote:

for 7R4 bit rate, SF-E is pretty good enough, and very fast to readout

I’m sorry, what is “SF-E?”

AlephNull wrote:

Zendit_Outdoors wrote:

I want to get a 128gb SD card for filming (HD and 4K) video on my A7Riv and I’m wondering whether there’s a justification for spending $180 for the Sony Tough G (300mb/s) card over $60 Sony Tough M (277mb/s) card? I’d sure rather save the money but I’m willing to spend the extra if it’s actually worth it?

Well, video does not need the extra speed - I am fairly sure that the M series cards are rated V90 (you might want to check that). I have only G series cards, but I shoot uncompressed RAW stills on the A7RIV, and that can make a difference (even more on the insane A1).

If you decide to go for the M, though, you have the option of getting a larger card - the M cards come in 256 or even 512, I think (G tops out at 128).

I have some Sony Tough 64GB G series that I’m using for stills. I’m just looking for a larger capacity card just for video. Sound like (from your comments and the past following yours) the M series will be fine for me for now. Thanks so much for your help!

Mr_Win wrote:

this is really up to you

for myself, I like small, efficient, and high quality files. I dont care for the non compressed format because I shoot a ton of video, and I dont find the quality difference to be worth it. With v60, I can shoot 4K 24, 30, 60, and 120. That's good enough for me.

I'm using basic sony v60 cards @ 256GB, which was on sale for 70-80 bucks a pop from what I recall. Doesnt break the bank, and enough that I can store my entire vacation on each card.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1512383-REG/sony_sfe256_t1_sf_e_series_uhs_ii_sd.html

Thanks for the great input!

I’m going to stick with the M cards just because I’m going to pick up a A7Siii here shortly and IT will benefit from the better cards, like you said.

AlephNull wrote:

Thanks! I did get an M card for video that seems to work great. IF ONLY my bag that had my memory cards, 1TB ssd drive, battery chargers, cables, a couple filters and step-up rings hadn’t gotten STOLEN on my trip to Oregon!! Ugh! My homeowners insurance has too high a deductible and my vehicle insurance doesn’t cover content theft! Grrr! Lol

AlephNull Veteran Member • Posts: 3,014

Zendit_Outdoors wrote:

AlephNull wrote:

Thanks! I did get an M card for video that seems to work great. IF ONLY my bag that had my memory cards, 1TB ssd drive, battery chargers, cables, a couple filters and step-up rings hadn’t gotten STOLEN on my trip to Oregon!! Ugh! My homeowners insurance has too high a deductible and my vehicle insurance doesn’t cover content theft! Grrr! Lol

That’s really frustrating. Even if you could replace all that gear, it would not replace The images and footage that would be on the cards and the ssd. And insurance doesn’t seem to cover revisiting all the places you’d been to shoot them 

AlephNull's gear list:AlephNull's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony a1 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM +3 more

AlephNull wrote:

Zendit_Outdoors wrote:

AlephNull wrote:

That’s really frustrating. Even if you could replace all that gear, it would not replace The images and footage that would be on the cards and the ssd. And insurance doesn’t seem to cover revisiting all the places you’d been to shoot them

Thankfully, the used cards were in a different bag, so I didn’t loose and imagery. But the financial loss hurts. I’m furious with my insurance though! Can’t believe that, with the amount I pay for home and auto insurance EVERY month, I still have like a $3500 deductible. I’m probably going to sign up with the Professional Photographers of America (~$325/year) for a membership - that’ll give me access to insurance policies through a company they team with. I talked to the insurance company and it’s around $22/year per $1000 of coverage and that covers camera gear, sound gear, computers and drones. Basically, everything a photographer or videographer might use. I thought it was a little pricey before my trip. NOW I’m kicking myself for not getting it; and since I figured out how lacking my other policies are, I’m thinking it’s a pretty damn good investment!

The Mad Kiwi Senior Member • Posts: 1,008

I use Angelbird cards, they’re not as expensive as the Sony cards and excellent.

edit: I use the v60 cards.

The Mad Kiwi's gear list:The Mad Kiwi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Sony a7 III Sony a7R IV Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads