Will there ever be a nostalgia movement for phones?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Marty4650
Marty4650 Forum Pro • Posts: 16,071
Will there ever be a nostalgia movement for phones?

We are all familiar with the passion some of us (including me) have for modern cameras that evoke styles of the past. The new Nikon Zfc is a dead ringer for the old Nikon FM3, and my Olympus EM-5 really reminds me of my old Olympus OM-1.

But we haven't seen the same happening in the smartphone market. Of course, there is a small movement towards the retro clamshell phone, but the new ones don't look anything like the old ones did. The only thing they have in common is they flip up to open. They just include this one feature, while not including the overall retro style.

So my question is.... do you think we will ever see a modern smartphone with a truly retro design? Perhaps something like this?

or perhaps phones with full keypads? Or those bag phones?

I remember having owned "all of the above" but I sure don't miss them.

Marty4650's gear list:Marty4650's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +16 more
Nikon Z fc
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
arbeterfroyen Contributing Member • Posts: 602
Re: Will there ever be a nostalgia movement for phones?

I imagine part of it would be wanting to have a more low-tech phone for (anti-)practical purposes.

I would love to still be able to use my old flip phone for weekends - low stimulation, lack of practical access but will literally work if I desperately need directions or an email.

Yes, it's my choice even now to use or not use apps and services.

A forced break from the temptation to stress ourselves out I imagine could be something others would appreciate alongside myself.

GossCTP Veteran Member • Posts: 5,657

Marty4650 wrote:

But we haven't seen the same happening in the smartphone market. Of course, there is a small movement towards the retro clamshell phone, but the new ones don't look anything like the old ones did. The only thing they have in common is they flip up to open. They just include this one feature, while not including the overall retro style.

So my question is.... do you think we will ever see a modern smartphone with a truly retro design? Perhaps something like this?

or perhaps phones with full keypads? Or those bag phones?

I know I miss the tactile experience on a lot of "smart" devices. I think at some point people are going to get over the sleekness of the designs and realize that the touchscreen has become a means of cheapening the construction of the UI. That said, those phones also had the problem of being large, hideous and heavy, which works against their prospects at being reborn with a modern twist.

I remember having owned "all of the above" but I sure don't miss them.

Those phones were also part of a very different time. They needed way more power to connect to the towers and the battery tech wasn't as good. Our first wasn't even a cell version. It was more of a radio system and you could manually switch which radio tower you were connecting to. That one was permanently installed in the work truck.

-- hide signature --

"Law and order" is anathema to liberty and justice.

GossCTP's gear list:GossCTP's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 II Fujifilm X-H1 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +8 more
vv50
vv50 Contributing Member • Posts: 846

Marty4650 wrote:

or perhaps phones with full keypads?

nokia 3310 but with camera for mobile photography, shaped for nostalgia https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_int/nokia-3310-dual-sim/specs

fuego6
fuego6 Senior Member • Posts: 2,476
Nope!

I don't think so... that being said, I love having some older cells that I can repurpose to do other things with... I use many of them in my Flight Sim for screen info, button boxes, etc... nice way to repurpose older phones and iPads....

vv50
vv50 Contributing Member • Posts: 846

vv50 wrote:

Marty4650 wrote:

or perhaps phones with full keypads?

nokia 3310 but with camera for mobile photography, shaped for nostalgia https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_int/nokia-3310-dual-sim/specs

granted if you spend a bit more, the best camera on a phone with keypad you can probably still get today is the nokia n95

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads