Need monitor advice

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Zendit_Outdoors Junior Member • Posts: 47
Need monitor advice

I’m looking for recommendations for a larger (32”-ish) 4K+ monitor to use with my 2018 MBP, for editing video and photos. I’d like something relatively future-proof. At least something that I can use for the next 5 years or longer.  Any suggestions?

I'm probably going to update my MBP when they do the next refresh or possibly pick up a M1 mini just for editing - we’ll see what they come out with this winter.

Appreciate any suggestions!

LarryRC Senior Member • Posts: 1,048
Re: Need monitor advice

Zendit_Outdoors wrote:

I’m looking for recommendations for a larger (32”-ish) 4K+ monitor to use with my 2018 MBP, for editing video and photos. I’d like something relatively future-proof. At least something that I can use for the next 5 years or longer. Any suggestions?

I'm probably going to update my MBP when they do the next refresh or possibly pick up a M1 mini just for editing - we’ll see what they come out with this winter.

Appreciate any suggestions!

You dont say what mbp. Id consider the Apple xdr to future proof. Check out this page for compatibility. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210437

 LarryRC's gear list:LarryRC's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 12-24mm F4 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III Sony FE 600mm F4
lightandaprayer Veteran Member • Posts: 4,635
Re: Need monitor advice
5

If you would tell us your budget, it would save folks a lot of time by not recommending displays that will be too expensive. . .  If you already have something in mind or have dismissed certain models (and for what reason)  that's more helpful info.

OP Zendit_Outdoors Junior Member • Posts: 47
Re: Need monitor advice

lightandaprayer wrote:

If you would tell us your budget, it would save folks a lot of time by not recommending displays that will be too expensive. . . If you already have something in mind or have dismissed certain models (and for what reason) that's more helpful info.

Oops, sorry! I’d like to stay under $5k. Honestly, if I could find something that’s get me through the next 3-5 years without getting really expensive, I’d be very happy.

OP Zendit_Outdoors Junior Member • Posts: 47
Re: Need monitor advice

I have a late 2018 15” MBP with a 2.6GHz i7 and 16GB of 2400 MHz DDR4 and an Intel UHD graphics card 630 1536 MB

lightandaprayer Veteran Member • Posts: 4,635
Re: Need monitor advice
2

Zendit_Outdoors wrote:

lightandaprayer wrote:

If you would tell us your budget, it would save folks a lot of time by not recommending displays that will be too expensive. . . If you already have something in mind or have dismissed certain models (and for what reason) that's more helpful info.

Oops, sorry! I’d like to stay under $5k. Honestly, if I could find something that’s get me through the next 3-5 years without getting really expensive, I’d be very happy.

Ironically, I was looking at this NEC display today: NEC PA311D-BK . It is a 31" 4k priced at $3089 MSRP. A SpectraView 2 calibration kit brings it up to $3339 . Since it's an NEC display, I can see you using it for 10 years. (I've had my NEC for 9 years so far.)

PhyllisMc8
PhyllisMc8 New Member • Posts: 4
Re: Need monitor advice

Any Mac monitor - is a great monitor for retouching.

-- hide signature --

Always speak from your heart.

OP Zendit_Outdoors Junior Member • Posts: 47
Re: Need monitor advice

lightandaprayer wrote

Ironically, I was looking at this NEC display today: NEC PA311D-BK . It is a 31" 4k priced at $3089 MSRP. A SpectraView 2 calibration kit brings it up to $3339 . Since it's an NEC display, I can see you using it for 10 years. (I've had my NEC for 9 years so far.)

Thanks! That’s really more where I wanted to be, price-wise. I’ll check it out. Wish those Apple displays weren’t so RIDICULOUSLY expensive.

steven413 Forum Member • Posts: 98
Re: Need monitor advice

I've read good things about this monitor which may/may not have certain technical requirements for the OP but I'm keeping my eye on this as a possible near future purchase:

https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-32un880-b-4k-uhd-led-monitor

Jacques Cornell
Jacques Cornell Forum Pro • Posts: 13,913
Re: Need monitor advice
1

Zendit_Outdoors wrote:

lightandaprayer wrote

Ironically, I was looking at this NEC display today: NEC PA311D-BK . It is a 31" 4k priced at $3089 MSRP. A SpectraView 2 calibration kit brings it up to $3339 . Since it's an NEC display, I can see you using it for 10 years. (I've had my NEC for 9 years so far.)

Thanks! That’s really more where I wanted to be, price-wise. I’ll check it out. Wish those Apple displays weren’t so RIDICULOUSLY expensive.

I have the earlier PA322 and it is absolutely the bee’s knees. Warms up in under a minute and has the best neutral WB and luminance consistency edge-to-edge of any display I’ve ever used. I’ve been using NEC for 15+ years, and even the mid-range EA-series displays are very, very good.

-- hide signature --

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
http://jacquescornell.photography
http://happening.photos

 Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 Sony a7R II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +49 more
Jacques Cornell
Jacques Cornell Forum Pro • Posts: 13,913
Re: Need monitor advice
1

steven413 wrote:

I've read good things about this monitor which may/may not have certain technical requirements for the OP but I'm keeping my eye on this as a possible near future purchase:

https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-32un880-b-4k-uhd-led-monitor

One thing to consider is the quality of the calibration system. IMO, nothing out there beats NEC’s Spectraview. BenQ’s kit seemed pretty good, though, when I calibrated a colleague’s display.

-- hide signature --

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
http://jacquescornell.photography
http://happening.photos

 Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 Sony a7R II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +49 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads