results still hold up to current cameras under certain conditions IMO

Started 3 months ago | Photos
MIKE1111 Contributing Member • Posts: 864
results still hold up to current cameras under certain conditions IMO
7

V2 70-300 .  to bad nikon didn't make a V4

 MIKE1111's gear list:MIKE1111's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D7100 Panasonic G85 +11 more
RichDitch
RichDitch Contributing Member • Posts: 972
Re: results still hold up to current cameras under certain conditions IMO

Excellent.

-- hide signature --

You can see a lot just by looking.
WSSA #449

Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Forum Pro • Posts: 15,317
Re: results still hold up to current cameras under certain conditions IMO

RichDitch wrote:

Excellent.

Indeed, indeed.

-- hide signature --

tordseriksson (at) gmail.....
Owner of a handful of Nikon cameras. And a few lenses.
WSSA #456

 Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon D3300 +23 more
Wu Jiaqiu
Wu Jiaqiu Forum Pro • Posts: 27,450
Re: results still hold up to current cameras under certain conditions IMO

great stuff

-- hide signature --

the computer says no

 Wu Jiaqiu's gear list:Wu Jiaqiu's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D2Xs Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +3 more
OP MIKE1111 Contributing Member • Posts: 864
Re: results still hold up to current cameras under certain conditions IMO

thanks.

 MIKE1111's gear list:MIKE1111's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D7100 Panasonic G85 +11 more
cyuill2007 Senior Member • Posts: 1,167
re: results still hold up to current cameras under certain conditions IMO

Nice photos!

I think that the Z50 is, in essence, the V4 we never got. But your camera seems to take fine photos. Keep using it.

 cyuill2007's gear list:cyuill2007's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +8 more
RichDitch
RichDitch Contributing Member • Posts: 972
Re: re: results still hold up to current cameras under certain conditions IMO

cyuill2007 wrote:

Nice photos!

I think that the Z50 is, in essence, the V4 we never got. But your camera seems to take fine photos. Keep using it.

I agree that the Z50 incorporates many of the features I'd expect in a V3 successor, but due to the "crop factor" of the bigger sensor there would need to be a 126-540mm zoom lens to go with it for bird photos. So, it wouldn't be a handy and compact walkabout (no tripod) kit for those of us addicted to avian.

-- hide signature --

You can see a lot just by looking.
WSSA #449

OP MIKE1111 Contributing Member • Posts: 864
Re: re: results still hold up to current cameras under certain conditions IMO

cyuill2007 wrote:

Nice photos!

I think that the Z50 is, in essence, the V4 we never got. But your camera seems to take fine photos. Keep using it.

I love the small size of the v2 cx 70-300.

I have D7500 and 150-600 I shoot handheld . its 4lbs heavier. will move to Z at some point

 MIKE1111's gear list:MIKE1111's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D7100 Panasonic G85 +11 more
cyuill2007 Senior Member • Posts: 1,167
Re: re: results still hold up to current cameras under certain conditions IMO

I do a lot of bird photography, as other members here can attest. I am looking for better gear than I currently have for that purpose. I am torn between acquiring a Z50 kit featuring FTZ adapter and 50-250mm lens, or splurging on a D7500 or D500 to use with my Sigma 100-400. I am also eyeing used Z6 and Z7 bodies that are currently available, although I prefer crop-sensor cameras.

Last weekend, I was trying to shoot BIF with my V2 + FT1 + Sigma 100-400 combo, and the results mostly sucked. Shooting perched birds with this set up is okay. BIF? Forget it. A CX 70-300 would be a nice lens to have, I suppose - but I am somewhat reluctant to buy more Nikon 1 gear at this stage. (3 bodies, 5 lenses (3 that fully work atm).) That said, I caved in and bought the V2 + 18.5mm lens after saying something similar, so who knows?

 cyuill2007's gear list:cyuill2007's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +8 more
OP MIKE1111 Contributing Member • Posts: 864
Re: re: results still hold up to current cameras under certain conditions IMO

cyuill2007 wrote:

I do a lot of bird photography, as other members here can attest. I am looking for better gear than I currently have for that purpose. I am torn between acquiring a Z50 kit featuring FTZ adapter and 50-250mm lens, or splurging on a D7500 or D500 to use with my Sigma 100-400. I am also eyeing used Z6 and Z7 bodies that are currently available, although I prefer crop-sensor cameras.

Last weekend, I was trying to shoot BIF with my V2 + FT1 + Sigma 100-400 combo, and the results mostly sucked. Shooting perched birds with this set up is okay. BIF? Forget it. A CX 70-300 would be a nice lens to have, I suppose - but I am somewhat reluctant to buy more Nikon 1 gear at this stage. (3 bodies, 5 lenses (3 that fully work atm).) That said, I caved in and bought the V2 + 18.5mm lens after saying something similar, so who knows?

I use D7500 for BIF. I use D7500 99% of the time.

the problem with cx 70-300 is the electrical ribbon inside breaks and lens has to be repaired. not a rugged system

 MIKE1111's gear list:MIKE1111's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D7100 Panasonic G85 +11 more
cyuill2007 Senior Member • Posts: 1,167
Re: re: results still hold up to current cameras under certain conditions IMO
1

MIKE1111 wrote:

cyuill2007 wrote:

I do a lot of bird photography, as other members here can attest. I am looking for better gear than I currently have for that purpose. I am torn between acquiring a Z50 kit featuring FTZ adapter and 50-250mm lens, or splurging on a D7500 or D500 to use with my Sigma 100-400. I am also eyeing used Z6 and Z7 bodies that are currently available, although I prefer crop-sensor cameras.

Last weekend, I was trying to shoot BIF with my V2 + FT1 + Sigma 100-400 combo, and the results mostly sucked. Shooting perched birds with this set up is okay. BIF? Forget it. A CX 70-300 would be a nice lens to have, I suppose - but I am somewhat reluctant to buy more Nikon 1 gear at this stage. (3 bodies, 5 lenses (3 that fully work atm).) That said, I caved in and bought the V2 + 18.5mm lens after saying something similar, so who knows?

I use D7500 for BIF. I use D7500 99% of the time.

Good to know. I got to spend two hours with a D7500 at a local bird sanctuary. The D7500 and my Sigma 100-400 made very good combo. I am contemplating the D500 because any issues regarding performance should be negated. Any problems with focusing will lay squarely on my shoulders, not on the camera.

the problem with cx 70-300 is the electrical ribbon inside breaks and lens has to be repaired. not a rugged system

The fragility of the Nikon 1 lenses is so uncharacteristic of Nikon lenses in general. But the introduction of these lenses came at a time when ongoing issues with other Nikon products occurred. (D800 focusing. D600 oil splatter. Multiple D750 service advisories.) One hopes that the Z-mount lenses do not suffer the same fate as the Nikon 1 lenses.

 cyuill2007's gear list:cyuill2007's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +8 more
OP MIKE1111 Contributing Member • Posts: 864
Re: re: results still hold up to current cameras under certain conditions IMO

cyuill2007 wrote:

MIKE1111 wrote:

cyuill2007 wrote:

I do a lot of bird photography, as other members here can attest. I am looking for better gear than I currently have for that purpose. I am torn between acquiring a Z50 kit featuring FTZ adapter and 50-250mm lens, or splurging on a D7500 or D500 to use with my Sigma 100-400. I am also eyeing used Z6 and Z7 bodies that are currently available, although I prefer crop-sensor cameras.

Last weekend, I was trying to shoot BIF with my V2 + FT1 + Sigma 100-400 combo, and the results mostly sucked. Shooting perched birds with this set up is okay. BIF? Forget it. A CX 70-300 would be a nice lens to have, I suppose - but I am somewhat reluctant to buy more Nikon 1 gear at this stage. (3 bodies, 5 lenses (3 that fully work atm).) That said, I caved in and bought the V2 + 18.5mm lens after saying something similar, so who knows?

I use D7500 for BIF. I use D7500 99% of the time.

Good to know. I got to spend two hours with a D7500 at a local bird sanctuary. The D7500 and my Sigma 100-400 made very good combo. I am contemplating the D500 because any issues regarding performance should be negated. Any problems with focusing will lay squarely on my shoulders, not on the camera.

the problem with cx 70-300 is the electrical ribbon inside breaks and lens has to be repaired. not a rugged system

The fragility of the Nikon 1 lenses is so uncharacteristic of Nikon lenses in general. But the introduction of these lenses came at a time when ongoing issues with other Nikon products occurred. (D800 focusing. D600 oil splatter. Multiple D750 service advisories.) One hopes that the Z-mount lenses do not suffer the same fate as the Nikon 1 lenses.

D500 is nikon best cropped sensor action stills camera. I'm thinking about getting one.

 MIKE1111's gear list:MIKE1111's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D7100 Panasonic G85 +11 more
Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Forum Pro • Posts: 15,317
Re: re: results still hold up to current cameras under certain conditions IMO
1

MIKE1111 wrote:

cyuill2007 wrote:

I do a lot of bird photography, as other members here can attest. I am looking for better gear than I currently have for that purpose. I am torn between acquiring a Z50 kit featuring FTZ adapter and 50-250mm lens, or splurging on a D7500 or D500 to use with my Sigma 100-400. I am also eyeing used Z6 and Z7 bodies that are currently available, although I prefer crop-sensor cameras.

Last weekend, I was trying to shoot BIF with my V2 + FT1 + Sigma 100-400 combo, and the results mostly sucked. Shooting perched birds with this set up is okay. BIF? Forget it. A CX 70-300 would be a nice lens to have, I suppose - but I am somewhat reluctant to buy more Nikon 1 gear at this stage. (3 bodies, 5 lenses (3 that fully work atm).) That said, I caved in and bought the V2 + 18.5mm lens after saying something similar, so who knows?

I use D7500 for BIF. I use D7500 99% of the time.

the problem with cx 70-300 is the electrical ribbon inside breaks and lens has to be repaired. not a rugged system

Sadly true! I never fold mine up, hopefully, prolong the meantime before failure.

-- hide signature --

tordseriksson (at) gmail.....
Owner of a handful of Nikon cameras. And a few lenses.
WSSA #456

 Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon D3300 +23 more
Tooks Regular Member • Posts: 194
Re: re: results still hold up to current cameras under certain conditions IMO

I’ve owned a V2 and 70-300CX constantly for the last 7 years, I kept both those even when I ‘got out’ of the Nikon 1 game.

Fingers crossed, I’ve not ‘babied’ the 70-300 at all and I open and close it multiple times when I use it, but it’s still going strong.

I have an FT-1 too, so worst case I will just have to get a 70-300 DX AF-P or similar and use that with it.

I’ve had a lot of kit through my hands from all sorts of manufacturers over the years, and the only thing that’s ever broken is a Nikon 1 10-30 and a Nikon P&S camera.

I’ve probably been quite lucky all told!

 Tooks's gear list:Tooks's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Leica V-Lux 5 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 J5 +4 more
Tooks Regular Member • Posts: 194
Re: results still hold up to current cameras under certain conditions IMO

MIKE1111 wrote:

V2 70-300 . to bad nikon didn't make a V4

Some great detail in that shot, very nice!

 Tooks's gear list:Tooks's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Leica V-Lux 5 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 J5 +4 more
Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Forum Pro • Posts: 15,317
Re: re: results still hold up to current cameras under certain conditions IMO

Tooks wrote:

I’ve owned a V2 and 70-300CX constantly for the last 7 years, I kept both those even when I ‘got out’ of the Nikon 1 game.

Fingers crossed, I’ve not ‘babied’ the 70-300 at all and I open and close it multiple times when I use it, but it’s still going strong.

I have an FT-1 too, so worst case I will just have to get a 70-300 DX AF-P or similar and use that with it.

I’ve had a lot of kit through my hands from all sorts of manufacturers over the years, and the only thing that’s ever broken is a Nikon 1 10-30 and a Nikon P&S camera.

I’ve probably been quite lucky all told!

One Pentax K5 died (suffered a fall, but was insured), a Ricoh GR suffered dust (expensive service!), and I myself managed to destroy a few over the years (water immersion, mostly). So none of my Nikons failed, but one of the wife's 30-110 did.

-- hide signature --

tordseriksson (at) gmail.....
Owner of a handful of Nikon cameras. And a few lenses.
WSSA #456

 Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon D3300 +23 more
OP MIKE1111 Contributing Member • Posts: 864
Re: re: results still hold up to current cameras under certain conditions IMO

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

Tooks wrote:

I’ve owned a V2 and 70-300CX constantly for the last 7 years, I kept both those even when I ‘got out’ of the Nikon 1 game.

Fingers crossed, I’ve not ‘babied’ the 70-300 at all and I open and close it multiple times when I use it, but it’s still going strong.

I have an FT-1 too, so worst case I will just have to get a 70-300 DX AF-P or similar and use that with it.

I’ve had a lot of kit through my hands from all sorts of manufacturers over the years, and the only thing that’s ever broken is a Nikon 1 10-30 and a Nikon P&S camera.

I’ve probably been quite lucky all told!

One Pentax K5 died (suffered a fall, but was insured), a Ricoh GR suffered dust (expensive service!), and I myself managed to destroy a few over the years (water immersion, mostly). So none of my Nikons failed, but one of the wife's 30-110 did.

ya my 30-110 died

 MIKE1111's gear list:MIKE1111's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D7100 Panasonic G85 +11 more
RAZORBACKSRULE 1 Forum Member • Posts: 86
Re: re: results still hold up to current cameras under certain conditions IMO

Ive been using the N1 cameras for years still love them . Ive had a 10-30 Lens and a J1 go belly up on me . My V1 has been rock solid as well as my other lenses. With the exception of a D40x  just sold all my DX gear which consisted of a D7200 and D500 i got hooked on the small mirrorless cameras and the DSLRS just sat in the bags unused.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads