* Wed C&C "No Theme" Thread #690 on 2021 07 14 *

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
RoelHendrickx
RoelHendrickx Forum Pro • Posts: 27,665
* Wed C&C "No Theme" Thread #690 on 2021 07 14 *

Welcome to the Wednesday Comments and Critique (No Theme) thread!

We are continuing the great tradition of this C&C thread because we are convinced that looking at and talking about images is vital for better photography.

The idea is simple: you post an image and get critique on it, and in return give other people your opinion of their images, or vice versa.

Please post your image (or essay) in a reply to this very first message in the thread, and not in a reply to someone else's message. This keeps the thread tidy, with a sequence of images and then the comments on those images right under them. Threaded view of the thread is recommended to see what we mean.

Generally, you should post only ONE SINGLE IMAGE for C&C.

TWO EXCEPTIONS and a VARIATION:

  1. You may post two pictures resulting from one shutter release but with different treatment (for example a color and a black & white version, or a different crop) for us to choose from and comment on. You may also post in a single post, two images that are closely related in subject or style.
  2. The thread is also open for the contribution of a Photo Essay of three or more images that should be viewed as a whole and that tell a specific story.
  3. If you want to submit to C&C more than one image (while they do not form an essay or are not closely related), please submit the different images each in their own separate sub thread. This new rule has been created in order to have a greater variety of images in “slow” weeks with few participants. In a “busy” week, please limit yourself to a single submission (image or essay) in order to give as many participants as possible a change to participate.

TWO RULES:

  1. If you post an image, you should critique at least one other image. If you post more than one image, please make an effort to post comments on at least a few images of other members.
  2. Keep your comments honest but polite. If you don’t care for an image try to explain why. This is neither a “Good shot!” nor an image-bashing thread.

Any style, any camera.

Feedback is guaranteed (-for up to 48 h after the thread has started)! Though keep in mind that the thread tends to be busiest during the first 24 hours or so, so later image posts may get little feedback.

HOW TO PLAY:

Single Images

  1. Change the title so we can sort different images out easily!
  2. Remember to add the EXIF if your image doesn't embed it as this may help
  3. Consider telling us what your own opinion on your image is. What prompted you to click that shutter button? What did you see? Why do you like the result? You don't have to explain, but it might be interesting.
  4. You are very welcome to post a group reply to the feedback you have received. This could include a new version of your image modified in response to the comments.

Photo Essays

The idea is that the posted images should be related and together try to tell a story about a place, an event, a travel you made, a (group of) person(s), a hobby or whatever is fit for an essay.

  1. Suggested number of images : minimum 3 and maximum 12 but numbers may vary.
  2. It is allowed (and encouraged) to include some verbal narrative IF you think that helps explain the essay, but text is not required. You can choose to let the images speak for themselves.
  3. Individual technical data of the separate photos is not required, but you can of course give information that you deem relevant.
  4. If you post a series, you commit yourself to critique at least one other series (if there are any; if not critique at least one image...). To make a distinction with the C&C of single images, we feel that comments should not focus on individual images, but on the series as a series. This can cover multiple angles :
  • do you think the series tells the story well?
  • how about the sequence and pace : would you sequence the images differently, and if so, why?
  • is there enough consistency in cropping, angles, PP treatment : does it really feel like a series or is it just a collection of shots?
  • do you think one image is a real highlight, or are there one or more images that would better be removed to prune the essay to a leaner and meaner series?
  • do you think a certain angle of the place/event/... is sorely missing from the story?
  • et cetera

IF THIS IS YOUR FIRST TIME, WELCOME! AND BE SURE TO READ THIS:

  • The critique you give is vital. What was your first impression? What catches your eye about an image? Why? What do you like, and what distracts you? What would you change?
  • Fiddle with the image in your head - composition, perspective, color balance, exposure.
  • It is understood that unless the original poster specifically states that they do not want an altered image posted that you are free to alter the posted image and repost it in a reply for C&C purposes (no use for other purposes!). That reposted image may remain permanently or you may remove it after a short period of time if you prefer. No copyright disputes here!
  • More general feedback is also welcome. Do you know something about taking the same sort of image that would make matters easier - share your own as an example in your reply. Encourage - it is a scary business putting your work up for other people to judge!
  • Finally what is the verdict? Waste-bin? Snapshot? Could be better? Family Album? Frame on wall? Poster-size frame on wall? Billboard? Reuters? World Press Photo? National Geographic? Museum? (pick your own superlative here)

One of the first replies is “The Related Post”. Below that header is the place to post your general musings about the C&C Thread.

In another of the first replies, the “Archives”, you can find the links (and cumulative links) to ALL our previous editions. Enjoy the time-travel!

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: http://www.roelh.zenfolio.com

RoelHendrickx
OP RoelHendrickx Forum Pro • Posts: 27,665
*ARCHIVES*

Here are the links to all our previous editions of the current year, and the summaries of all previous years (13 years already… and counting):

2021:

Week 689 op 2021/07/07: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65296658

Week 688 on 2021/06/30: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65276590

Week 687 on 2021/06/23: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65257058

Week 686 on 2021/06/16: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65237639

Week 685 on 2021/06/09: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65217471

Week 684 on 2021/06/02: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65195702

Week 683 on 2021/05/26: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65174469

Week 682 on 2021/05/19: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65152930

Week 681 on 2021/05/12: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65131331

Week 680 on 2021/05/05: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65110543

Week 679 on 2021/04/28: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65088711

Week 678 on 2021/04/21: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65066568

Week 677 on 2021/04/14: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65045069

Week 676 on 2021/04/07: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65022496

Week 675 on 2021/03/31: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65000200

Week 674 on 2021/03/24: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64976233

Week 673 on 2021/03/17: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64952746

Week 672 on 2021/03/10: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64930417

Week 671 on 2021/03/03: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64907424

Week 670 on 2021/02/24: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64884390

Week 669 on 2021/02/17: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64862221

Week 668 on 2021/02/10: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64839845

Week 667 on 2021/02/03: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64816305

Week 666 on 2021/01/27: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64790782

Week 665 on 2021/01/20: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64768645

Week 664 on 2021/01/13: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64746754

Week 663 on 2021/01/06: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64725924

Links to Year Summary of All Previous Editions:

2020: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64725942

2019: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63478234

2018: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62119743

2017: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60619049

2016: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/58941978

2015: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/57004809

2014: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/55055459

2013: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52814278

2012: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/50996742

2011: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/40228457

2010: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/37375543

2009: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/34168706

2008: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/30596254

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: http://www.roelh.zenfolio.com

RoelHendrickx
OP RoelHendrickx Forum Pro • Posts: 27,665
*The RELATED Post - Placeholder*

This is a placeholder for conversations on anything related to these C&C threads.

Post your general comments as a reply to THIS post.

Specifically : the place to make arrangements and share ideas for keeping this thread alive and kicking. It is our own PSA system.

But also :

- discussion of our concept of aspects of it broader than a specific image,

- service announcements by the thread starter or anyone else;

- interesting links to other similar initiatives;

- links to something you really want to share with this particular group of people.

- frankly, anything that could be of interest to our group here.

Please post all of that as a reply to this post.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: http://www.roelh.zenfolio.com

RoelHendrickx
OP RoelHendrickx Forum Pro • Posts: 27,665
Exploring a Matador

February 2020 marked the last time that we really traveled abroad (except for the odd little trips just across the French and Dutch borders, to visit an exhibition or go for a walk - nd except for that short window in the summer of 2020 when travel was briefly allowed and we spent two weeks in the German countryside, driving our car and riding our bikes).

That last trip by plane took us to Madrid for an extended weekend citytrip.

One of the landmarks we visited on that trip, was the Plaza de Toros.

On the square surrounding this impressive bullring are several statues, and the one shown in three of these images, is the most dynamic of those.

I am showing four images here, taken on various moments before and after our visit, to illustrate the way I am seldom satisfied with the first image I make of any object or location.

It can happen that the very first image is immediately the best, but more often, there is a benefit in exploring angles and perspectives and focal lengths. You be the judge.

One of my standard approaches :photographing someone photographing the object

From one of the balconies of the bullring : a telephoto image showing how the statue "levitates". Waiting for a background with zero cars proved impossible. The selfie-takers were an opportunity I could not let pass, and fortunately, the cars in the background are nothing else than two Madrilene taxis in Spanish colours. Imagine this with a blue garbage truck. Not the same.

Back on the square, and looking at another statue, the idea germinated to photograph the statue in relation to the actual bull ring.

... which led to this final composition.  I shot from nearby with wide angle and avoided the pavement in order to eliminate all hints of contemporary aspects (pedestrians, etc) and give the image a certain abstraction and timelessness.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: http://www.roelh.zenfolio.com

RoelHendrickx
OP RoelHendrickx Forum Pro • Posts: 27,665
Last week's "Colour" image - info on the object and Verner Panton

Last week's colourful colonoscopy image was photographed in the Ghent Design Museum.

Here is a slightly less abstracted view of the installation - it gives an idea of shape and size and how it relates to the museum room:

As you can see, visitors are invited to remove their shoes and then enter the installation, exploring the many ways in which those odd shapes offer opportunities for lounging.

The installation is one of the more extreme examples in the exhibition on iconic interiors, described (in English, but the German curators) in the short video embedded on this page :

https://www.designmuseumgent.be/agenda/home-stories?

The exhibition was originally conceived for the quite wonderful Vitra Campus in Germany and then transplanted to Ghent.

The author of this particular installation is Verner Panton. Imagine Philippe Starck and then multiply him by a serious factor, and that will give you the extreme playfulness of Panton.

Panton is most known for his iconic chairs that seem molded from a single blob of melted red (or any other colour) cheese.

Those chairs are practical. But Panton also went to extremes in imagining almost utopian interior designs that seem fit mostly as a set for a Tim Burton or Stanley Kubrick movie. His "Fantasy Landscape" is one of those exercizes.

Read more about it here :

https://www.vitra.com/en-be/magazine/details/panton-fantasy-landscape

If you like his work, a simple google search will keep you busy for a while.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: http://www.roelh.zenfolio.com

Kumsal Regular Member • Posts: 413
Cradle Mountain

minniev Veteran Member • Posts: 3,888
Favorite Meadow - Sequoia NP

We spent more time in Sequoia NP than in Yosemite in last month's trip. My son was seduced by the big old trees. This was my favorite meadow, a little off the beaten path with no marked trails. My grandson loved the trees too - he has always been a tree climber, and he had never had such amazing trees to tackle before, and so many ways to explore them.

It's a very short photo story, I guess.

The meadow as we stumbled upon it, late afternoon.

You'll have to look closely to find the little boy hidden in this upturned giant.

Son and grandson doing their log walking routine.

Mike Fewster Veteran Member • Posts: 8,526
The Dimboola pub.

When I looked at this week's posts, so far, I saw that Kumsal was taking us to Tasmania. I changed my mind about this weeks post, I've been giving Tassie a working over of late.

Dimboola. A little town in the Wimmera area of Victoria. Some years ago it was bypassed by the main highway and now it is fading away. We needed a place to stay a couple of months ago, got off the main highway and discovered Dimboola. These shots are of the hotel where we had an excellent meal, enjoyed time with the locals and found some very surprising rooms inside. You will be seeing more of Dimboola.

Dimboola is also the name of a famous Australian play and film. It tells the tale of a wedding. When staged, the play usually takes the form of a wedding reception and meal and the audience have a meal while the play goes on around them. This is the reference in photo 1.

PS. Light levels were very low inside and I decided to keep the feeling.

On the wall in the pub.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

 Mike Fewster's gear list:Mike Fewster's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony a7R II Sony a7R III
Mike Fewster Veteran Member • Posts: 8,526
I missed one from the series

Mike Fewster wrote:

When I looked at this week's posts, so far, I saw that Kumsal was taking us to Tasmania. I changed my mind about this weeks post, I've been giving Tassie a working over of late.

Dimboola. A little town in the Wimmera area of Victoria. Some years ago it was bypassed by the main highway and now it is fading away. We needed a place to stay a couple of months ago, got off the main highway and discovered Dimboola. These shots are of the hotel where we had an excellent meal, enjoyed time with the locals and found some very surprising rooms inside. You will be seeing more of Dimboola.

Dimboola is also the name of a famous Australian play and film. It tells the tale of a wedding. When staged, the play usually takes the form of a wedding reception and meal and the audience have a meal while the play goes on around them. This is the reference in photo 1.

PS. Light levels were very low inside and I decided to keep the feeling.

On the wall in the pub.

This should have been number four.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

 Mike Fewster's gear list:Mike Fewster's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony a7R II Sony a7R III
RoelHendrickx
OP RoelHendrickx Forum Pro • Posts: 27,665
Re: Favorite Meadow - Sequoia NP

minniev wrote:

We spent more time in Sequoia NP than in Yosemite in last month's trip. My son was seduced by the big old trees. This was my favorite meadow, a little off the beaten path with no marked trails. My grandson loved the trees too - he has always been a tree climber, and he had never had such amazing trees to tackle before, and so many ways to explore them.

It's a very short photo story, I guess.

The meadow as we stumbled upon it, late afternoon.

You'll have to look closely to find the little boy hidden in this upturned giant.

Son and grandson doing their log walking routine.

A paradise of lush, sun-caressed greenery wrapped around old giants like a comfy blanket.

It's like a story of growth, majestic decay and fresh renewal.  The cycle of life.

So it is fitting that you populate that scene also with your offspring (and his own).

On a more mundane level, they provide scale.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: http://www.roelh.zenfolio.com

KeesSmeele
KeesSmeele Regular Member • Posts: 270
Rural

Two pics of a row of pollard willows in various stages of decay. The landscape version places the trees in their rural setting. The portrait version emphasizes the whimsical shapes of the trees. I have a slight preference for the landscape version, because of the balance between water and land, and because of the different horizontal and vertical lines in the composition.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Kees

 KeesSmeele's gear list:KeesSmeele's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 25mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +2 more
Fox328 Senior Member • Posts: 1,636
New shopping mall

Just recently the shopping mall nearby reopened as The Mall of The Netherlands. I like what they've done with it.

 Fox328's gear list:Fox328's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Olympus E-400 Olympus E-620 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +7 more
RoelHendrickx
OP RoelHendrickx Forum Pro • Posts: 27,665
Re: Cradle Mountain

Kumsal wrote:

Beautiful image of a stunning landscape.

Mike is familiar with this area and may provide more pertinent feedback on your vantage point, composition etc.

The boat in the water provides a sense of scale and human presence.

The little tree sticking ouft from the nearby lakeshore (almost where the water-part is thinnest) is also peculiar.  It might come across as a distraction or an element messing with the straight lines of the geometry, but it was there so I would not clone it out.

I do however feel like there is a slight slant in this image (leaning a few degrees to the left).  This may be an optical illustion created by the irregularity of the lake banks, but I cannot escape the impression that the lake seems in danger of emptying itself to its left side : the shore is about 1 mm higher on the right than on the left, if I drag the image at regular view towards a straight horizontal edge of the viewing window.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: http://www.roelh.zenfolio.com

LouHolland
LouHolland Veteran Member • Posts: 9,834
Blinded Horses ..

Nice horses, why they are sometimes blindfolded in the meadow is a riddle to me!

Lou

enlarge for better view

Has there been any news of Don lately or has he been completely forgotten?

meow
meow Senior Member • Posts: 2,810
Re: Blinded Horses ..

LouHolland wrote:

Nice horses, why they are sometimes blindfolded in the meadow is a riddle to me!

Lou

enlarge for better view

Has there been any news of Don lately or has he been completely forgotten?

Yes, lovely horses. I know the answer to your riddle. They are not blindfolded. I used to think so too and felt sorry for them until I got it explained to me. The mask is made of some kind of mesh. It protects the horse's eyes from horseflies and other bothersome flying pests. The horse sees through it.

 meow's gear list:meow's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro 7artisans 7.5mm F2.8 Fisheye Olympus 100-400mm F5.0-6.3 IS +1 more
LouHolland
LouHolland Veteran Member • Posts: 9,834
Re: Blinded Horses ..

meow wrote:

LouHolland wrote:

Nice horses, why they are sometimes blindfolded in the meadow is a riddle to me!

Lou

enlarge for better view

Has there been any news of Don lately or has he been completely forgotten?

Yes, lovely horses. I know the answer to your riddle. They are not blindfolded. I used to think so too and felt sorry for them until I got it explained to me. The mask is made of some kind of mesh. It protects the horse's eyes from horseflies and other bothersome flying pests. The horse sees through it.

meow

Yes, logical actually, thanks for taking the time to explain here.

Lou

LouHolland
LouHolland Veteran Member • Posts: 9,834
Re: Rural

KeesSmeele wrote:

Two pics of a row of pollard willows in various stages of decay. The landscape version places the trees in their rural setting. The portrait version emphasizes the whimsical shapes of the trees. I have a slight preference for the landscape version, because of the balance between water and land, and because of the different horizontal and vertical lines in the composition.

Nice shot KeesSmeele and it seems to me that a few pollard willows suffered from some lightning strikes.

Lou

LouHolland
LouHolland Veteran Member • Posts: 9,834
Re: The Dimboola pub.

Mike Fewster wrote:

When I looked at this week's posts, so far, I saw that Kumsal was taking us to Tasmania. I changed my mind about this weeks post, I've been giving Tassie a working over of late.

Dimboola. A little town in the Wimmera area of Victoria. Some years ago it was bypassed by the main highway and now it is fading away. We needed a place to stay a couple of months ago, got off the main highway and discovered Dimboola. These shots are of the hotel where we had an excellent meal, enjoyed time with the locals and found some very surprising rooms inside. You will be seeing more of Dimboola.

Dimboola is also the name of a famous Australian play and film. It tells the tale of a wedding. When staged, the play usually takes the form of a wedding reception and meal and the audience have a meal while the play goes on around them. This is the reference in photo 1.

PS. Light levels were very low inside and I decided to keep the feeling.

On the wall in the pub.

Hi Mike, nice series with a preference for photo 3 and 5. 3 for the quiet attention with which the beer is tapped with the typical attitude of the girl and being watched by the man in the background and 5 because of the eclectic interior which invites you to a journey to see everything.

Lou

meow
meow Senior Member • Posts: 2,810
Re: Blinded Horses ..

LouHolland wrote:

meow wrote:

LouHolland wrote:

Nice horses, why they are sometimes blindfolded in the meadow is a riddle to me!

Lou

enlarge for better view

Has there been any news of Don lately or has he been completely forgotten?

Yes, lovely horses. I know the answer to your riddle. They are not blindfolded. I used to think so too and felt sorry for them until I got it explained to me. The mask is made of some kind of mesh. It protects the horse's eyes from horseflies and other bothersome flying pests. The horse sees through it.

meow

Yes, logical actually, thanks for taking the time to explain here.

Lou

Like you probably have I've thought a lot about whey they blindfold the poor horses. I was relieved to learn what it's really about. I guess it's the use of blinders on nervous horses that made us think that way.

 meow's gear list:meow's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro 7artisans 7.5mm F2.8 Fisheye Olympus 100-400mm F5.0-6.3 IS +1 more
Mike Fewster Veteran Member • Posts: 8,526
Re: Exploring a Matador

RoelHendrickx wrote:

February 2020 marked the last time that we really traveled abroad (except for the odd little trips just across the French and Dutch borders, to visit an exhibition or go for a walk - nd except for that short window in the summer of 2020 when travel was briefly allowed and we spent two weeks in the German countryside, driving our car and riding our bikes).

That last trip by plane took us to Madrid for an extended weekend citytrip.

One of the landmarks we visited on that trip, was the Plaza de Toros.

On the square surrounding this impressive bullring are several statues, and the one shown in three of these images, is the most dynamic of those.

I am showing four images here, taken on various moments before and after our visit, to illustrate the way I am seldom satisfied with the first image I make of any object or location.

It can happen that the very first image is immediately the best, but more often, there is a benefit in exploring angles and perspectives and focal lengths. You be the judge.

One of my standard approaches :photographing someone photographing the object

From one of the balconies of the bullring : a telephoto image showing how the statue "levitates". Waiting for a background with zero cars proved impossible. The selfie-takers were an opportunity I could not let pass, and fortunately, the cars in the background are nothing else than two Madrilene taxis in Spanish colours. Imagine this with a blue garbage truck. Not the same.

Back on the square, and looking at another statue, the idea germinated to photograph the statue in relation to the actual bull ring.

... which led to this final composition. I shot from nearby with wide angle and avoided the pavement in order to eliminate all hints of contemporary aspects (pedestrians, etc) and give the image a certain abstraction and timelessness.

It is always rewarding when the photographer shares their thoughts on the journey they make to decide on a composition.

The bullfighter/toro statue with the suspended figure would worry me if I was a matador arriving for an appointment inside. He looks as though he is being tossed in the air by the bull. Guess you win some and lose some.

Number two has a nice comparison between the traditional figures in the statue and the selfie snappers. It brought to mind a favourite book "Or I'll Dress You in Mourning" with its theme of a desperately poor young man whose one chance to escape grinding rural poverty for himself and his family is to be a successful matador. The story of El Cordobes.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

 Mike Fewster's gear list:Mike Fewster's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony a7R II Sony a7R III
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads