Panorama

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
IoannisZ
IoannisZ Regular Member • Posts: 396
Re: Panorama

If you want to print a photo, is not something like seeing it on 4k monitor?

-- hide signature --

Flickr. Giannis_
More pixels, less ideas

Marco Nero
Marco Nero Veteran Member • Posts: 7,318
Re: To: Shaun Jackson - Re: iPhone experiment

Shaun Jackson wrote:

Were the two panoramas taken with the same camera? It’s easy to accidentally hit the 1x button just above the shutter button and switch to the 0.5x ultra wide lens. Just a thought.

Same iPhone.  Taken literally seconds apart and without moving.  I don't like digital zooms so I didn't use it when capturing those images. Though I did bend down slightly for the second shot since I was dissatisfied with the results of the first one.   I just find it surprising that such a small change in panning speed resulted in a completely different looking image with a different amount of distortion.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Marco Nero.

Marco Nero's gear list:Marco Nero's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS Ra Canon EOS R6 Canon EF-M 32mm F1.4 Canon RF 85mm F1.2L USM +20 more
Marco Nero
Marco Nero Veteran Member • Posts: 7,318

Tuonov2 wrote:

Julian Sutherland wrote:

I took my Canon EOS M6 mk2 and a few lenses on a recent trip to the San Juan Islands but did not use it. Here is one of the reasons why: Set the iPhone 11 to "pano" press the button, steadily move the scene around the horizon, stop and press the button again and you have your picture.

With my Canon or any of my other cameras I would have to take several pictures and stitch them together later. With the phone, no problem, fine picture in seconds. I'm not surprised that camera sales are down.

Depends on what you want to do with it, that image looks great viewed on my phone or tablet, I just opened it on my 4k monitor and it's just mush, no detail, sharpening artefacts everywhere etc, etc.

I use my phone a lot for general snapshots, if I want a good image that I'm possibly going to want to print I'll take the camera and do the PP as necessary.

I can see some grainy textures on the trees on the far right but overall, it's probably one of the nicer panoramas I've seen.  There's quite a bit of detail captured in that shot (consider how small the optics are on these smartphones!) and I'd say it's a pretty good example of how a decent panorama can capture quite a bit more than even the 11-22mm lens.  That scene looks like it would have taken at least three shots from the 11-22mm lens to produce anything similar with FOV.  No editing required either.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Marco Nero.

Marco Nero's gear list:Marco Nero's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS Ra Canon EOS R6 Canon EF-M 32mm F1.4 Canon RF 85mm F1.2L USM +20 more
Cyril Catt Veteran Member • Posts: 5,221

dan the man p wrote:

Mongrel wrote: If only you had taken it with the iPhone 12 MAX... THAT would have been an incredible shot! (Joke). I think your pano demonstrates your point very well.

I admit I have to agree with you for the most part. Unless I am in a position to dedicate the trip\time to photography, or want to make a specific print *, the need for more than a good cell phone is hard to justify. But since I am on an iPhone XR, I still carry a small body and at least one small prime just to satisfy my urge to shoot.

*not sure I even agree with this anymore. I was admiring my nephew's engagement pictures which his fiancée' had just put up in their home. Three prints on canvas, around 11x14...look absolutely fantastic. "Who took your pictures?"

Answer: "My fiancée's friend took them with her iPhone and had them made for us..."   Blown...   A-...  way...

We have all heard for years now-"well that's fine if you just want to post to social media."   Ahhh.....yea right...   lol

Regardless of the image quality of phone pictures, I still prefer the control a real camera offers. Not just in processing either; also in DOF, shutter speed, exposure, etc. Plus there are still things a phone camera can't do, although that gap keeps getting smaller and smaller. But I totally get that for the vast majority of people, who prefer the phone's AI to figure that all out, a phone is more than fine.

Have you tried any of the apps that extend phone cameras' manual capabilities?

-- hide signature --

Cyril

OP Julian Sutherland Forum Member • Posts: 56
Panorama

Thanks Marco,

My monitor is an LG 34” IPS curved screen and when I came home and reviewed the iPhone panorama on that screen I was amazed. There are some minor distortions, but to me they don’t harm the picture and are not apparent when printed up to 24” wide.  Stitched panoramas from my canon 11-22 probably are better, but not noticeably in real life. Because of the simplicity iPhone is now my go to for most panoramas and a few other scenes just as my Mavic Mini drone is for otherwise impossible pictures.

-- hide signature --

Julian

Julian Sutherland's gear list:Julian Sutherland's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X
Dr Hal Senior Member • Posts: 2,029

Bgreg,

Thank you for your very will written post.  I too am a photo hobbyist from the 1950's.  1957 to be exact.  I love taking pictures and I love post processing them.  I am setting up now to digitalize my old negatives and I am sure that I will get many hours of pleasure from this process.  I know that there will be some frustration too.  It is a family joke that I am the only one in my family who never uses a cell phone to take pictures.

Hal

Dr Hal's gear list:Dr Hal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Canon EOS M6 II Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH +3 more
ThrillaMozilla Veteran Member • Posts: 6,058

Yes, that's a pretty good panorama. Numerous cameras can also do that, although the vertical resolution may be rather limited in some cases.

ThrillaMozilla's gear list:ThrillaMozilla's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM
Re: Smartphone Vs Camera / Panoramas (PICS)

Wow, those are outstanding!  I want you to teach me, Marco.  Seriously.  For a start, were those all handheld?

nolten Contributing Member • Posts: 850
Question:

Before I quit posting on DPR altogether, I'd like to know why my panorama post isn't worthy of any response at all. Is posting about a camera that can actually build panoramas cell phone style not worth discussing? Are my panoramas somehow lacking?

How does one contact the moderator? I would like my posts removed.

nolten's gear list:nolten's gear list
Canon G1 X III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS 90D Canon EOS M6 II
Shaun Jackson Regular Member • Posts: 125
Re: Question:

Well I loved your panoramas!

dan the man p Contributing Member • Posts: 724

Cyril Catt wrote:

dan the man p wrote:

Mongrel wrote: If only you had taken it with the iPhone 12 MAX... THAT would have been an incredible shot! (Joke). I think your pano demonstrates your point very well.

I admit I have to agree with you for the most part. Unless I am in a position to dedicate the trip\time to photography, or want to make a specific print *, the need for more than a good cell phone is hard to justify. But since I am on an iPhone XR, I still carry a small body and at least one small prime just to satisfy my urge to shoot.

*not sure I even agree with this anymore. I was admiring my nephew's engagement pictures which his fiancée' had just put up in their home. Three prints on canvas, around 11x14...look absolutely fantastic. "Who took your pictures?"

Answer: "My fiancée's friend took them with her iPhone and had them made for us..." Blown... A-... way...

We have all heard for years now-"well that's fine if you just want to post to social media." Ahhh.....yea right... lol

Regardless of the image quality of phone pictures, I still prefer the control a real camera offers. Not just in processing either; also in DOF, shutter speed, exposure, etc. Plus there are still things a phone camera can't do, although that gap keeps getting smaller and smaller. But I totally get that for the vast majority of people, who prefer the phone's AI to figure that all out, a phone is more than fine.

Have you tried any of the apps that extend phone cameras' manual capabilities?

A little bit. Part of the equation for me is that I don't have a top-end phone and have no desire to buy one just to have a good camera (I'd rather buy a real camera in that case). But even with those apps, there's no aperture control or real optical zoom. There's multiple focal lengths with some sort of computational blending between them, I guess. And the only way you can get shallow depth of field is with fake AI background blur, which doesn't appeal to me at all. It takes all the fun out of it, even if the results look good sometimes.

dan the man p's gear list:dan the man p's gear list
Sony DSC-RX0 Canon EOS M50 Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +2 more
JustUs7 Senior Member • Posts: 2,667

nolten wrote:

Before I quit posting on DPR altogether, I'd like to know why my panorama post isn't worthy of any response at all. Is posting about a camera that can actually build panoramas cell phone style not worth discussing? Are my panoramas somehow lacking?

I personally haven’t engaged because the entire thread has little to do with M cameras.  The OP should be in mobile photography or the whole thread moved to landscape and travel sub forum.  The only tie to the M is, “My phone takes panoramas easier than your M camera does.”

I’m certain you’d get great feedback in the Powershot sub forum.

I was going to add some of my RP panorama’s, but those are better suited for the R forum or landscape.

Another good forum for image feedback is the Samples and Galleries forum.

JustUs7's gear list:JustUs7's gear list
Canon EOS 1000D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III +7 more

nolten wrote:

That's being a little too sensitive.  Happens all the time.

And I doubt that the OP is interested anyway.  He sounds like he's displeased that he spent money on the M6II but his cell phone is easier to use.  Some people are better off with a point and shoot phone.

m100 Contributing Member • Posts: 931

Julian Sutherland wrote:

I took my Canon EOS M6 mk2 and a few lenses on a recent trip to the San Juan Islands but did not use it. Here is one of the reasons why: Set the iPhone 11 to "pano" press the button, steadily move the scene around the horizon, stop and press the button again and you have your picture.

With my Canon or any of my other cameras I would have to take several pictures and stitch them together later. With the phone, no problem, fine picture in seconds. I'm not surprised that camera sales are down.

Photoshop is not an easy program to learn.   Once you get a handle on it PP really can be fun.

Some people can do better with a phone than a R5 and Photoshop though.

Nice photo.

-- hide signature --

" It's a virus that hitches a ride on our love and our trust for other people. "
Dr. Celine Gounder

Tuonov2 Senior Member • Posts: 2,002
Surely

nolten wrote:

You're joking?

bisquefire New Member • Posts: 18

I am still looking for a way to do Pana with the m6 II. I figured I could do a sequence while panning and stitch them with software. Learning curve for me, but I am determined. Until then I will use my FZ-1000.

bisquefire's gear list:bisquefire's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Tamron 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 Di II VC Canon EF-M 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM Sigma 30mm F1.4 (E/EF-M mounts)
ken_in_nh Senior Member • Posts: 1,916

bisquefire wrote:

I am still looking for a way to do Pana with the m6 II. I figured I could do a sequence while panning and stitch them with software. Learning curve for me, but I am determined. Until then I will use my FZ-1000.

You don't have any software that can do it?  I've used LR for years.  Panas are really easy with it, but other programs are just as easy I suspect.  There's no big secret to them.   I do them handheld all the time.  You just need to sweep the camera reasonably horizontal for best results for landscapes, to use one example.

Re: Surely

You are the joke! This is the kind of snarky response to an honest question that I expected from you lot. Discussion, interchange, nonsense just egotism.

Thank you all who responded honestly. I've been a member a long time watching fora that relate to more specific Canon products than I can see on the more full frame oriented Fred Miranda. DPR has always had a reputation for too many posters who just want to win an argument than making any sense. The cost/benefit has just gotten too much. Y'all have fun.

Tuonov2 Senior Member • Posts: 2,002
Re: Surely

nolten wrote:

just egotism.

Oh the irony.....

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads