13x19 printer that clears clogs easily?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 17,967
13x19 printer that clears clogs easily?

I've not printed anything in 4 years now, since my Epson P600 developed a small clog.  I was just finishing printing pictures of my late wife for her funeral, so I just stopped printing after that.

I'd like to do some printing again, but even 4 years ago that clog was being persistent.  I've previously had two other Epson 13x19 printers that developed unfix-able clogs.

At this point I don't care whether or not I get another Epson.  I just need a printer that works reliably when it won't get used for weeks or months at a time.  I'm just printing for my own hobby use.  Windows 10.

Also considering a larger printer, but not if it develops clogs.

At the least, can't someone come up with a cleaning kit for Epson printers?  Something that relies of a solvent instead of pumping expensive ink at clogged openings?

-- hide signature --

Phoenix Arizona Craig
www.cjcphoto.net
"I miss the days when I was nostalgic."

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +37 more
Nikon Coolpix P600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Dave_Good Contributing Member • Posts: 981
Re: 13x19 printer that clears clogs easily?

I recently "downgraded" from the 3880 to the XP-15000. From my experience with Epson their dye ink printers clog less often than the pigment printers. I will be testing further on Ilford papers, for which there are profiles, but so far am very happy with the output on Epson glossy papers, I haven't tried matte or semi gloss yet. I stuck with Epson for familiarity and left over boxes of paper.

Keith Cooper has a look at it here:

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/epson-xp-15000-printer-review/

Dave

Dave_Good's gear list:Dave_Good's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony a7R II Tokina 20mm F2 FE MF Voigtlander 65mm F2 Macro APO-Lanthar Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +3 more
NAwlins Contrarian Veteran Member • Posts: 6,342

At this point I don't care whether or not I get another Epson. I just need a printer that works reliably when it won't get used for weeks or months at a time. I'm just printing for my own hobby use. Windows 10.

The generally-reported experience appears to be that, in a reasonable environment (temperature, humidity, dustiness), and using OEM ink in OEM cartridges, (1) recent models of Canon printers only very rarely develop significant clogs, and almost never develop fatal ones; and (2) Epson dye-ink printers either do not develop significant clogs or are easy enough to clear with one or two ordinary self-cleanings. Although Epson pigment-ink printers seem to have improved, I don't think many people are likely to say that a new P700 or P900 would be substantially more clog-resistant than your P600. So the options are:

* Canon iP8720 / iP8750, 13x19", 5 colors of dye ink;

* Epson XP-15000, 13x19", 6 colors of dye ink;

* Canon Pro-200, 13x19", 8 colors of dye ink;

* Canon Pro-300, 13x19", 8 colors of pigment ink plus chroma optimizer; and

* Canon Pro-1000, 17x25", 10 colors of pigment ink plus chroma optimizer.

FWIW, at home I have an Epson that uses Claria dye inks, the same basic line as the XP-15000. At times it has gone more than three months without printing. I average less than one small clog (as shown on a nozzle check) per year, and that has always cleared with one (or maybe on one occasion two) basic self-cleaning.

NAwlins Contrarian's gear list:NAwlins Contrarian's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S30 Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +5 more
Simon Garrett Veteran Member • Posts: 7,169

NAwlins Contrarian wrote:

At this point I don't care whether or not I get another Epson. I just need a printer that works reliably when it won't get used for weeks or months at a time. I'm just printing for my own hobby use. Windows 10.

The generally-reported experience appears to be that, in a reasonable environment (temperature, humidity, dustiness), and using OEM ink in OEM cartridges, (1) recent models of Canon printers only very rarely develop significant clogs, and almost never develop fatal ones; and (2) Epson dye-ink printers either do not develop significant clogs or are easy enough to clear with one or two ordinary self-cleanings. Although Epson pigment-ink printers seem to have improved, I don't think many people are likely to say that a new P700 or P900 would be substantially more clog-resistant than your P600. So the options are:

FWIW, at home I have an Epson that uses Claria dye inks, the same basic line as the XP-15000. At times it has gone more than three months without printing. I average less than one small clog (as shown on a nozzle check) per year, and that has always cleared with one (or maybe on one occasion two) basic self-cleaning.

The XP-15000 gets a good review from Keith Cooper at http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/epson-xp-15000-printer-review/ .

The nearest Canon equivalent is the Pro-200, which also gets a good review from Keith at http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/canon-pro-200-printer-review/ .

I have the Pro-200 and no clogs so far but I've had it less than 2 months.

Both these use dye inks, which are supposed to clog less than pigment. Dye inks used to fade more than pigment inks, but more modern dyes will outlive most of us. Dye inks may be better on gloss paper, pigment for matt papers, and probably have the edge for black and white. Again, if this is an issue see what Keith has to say: http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/dye-inks-or-pigment-inks-for-photo-printing/ .

-- hide signature --

Simon

Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
Philip Eihuyar
Philip Eihuyar Contributing Member • Posts: 624

PHXAZCRAIG wrote:

I've not printed anything in 4 years now, since my Epson P600 developed a small clog. I was just finishing printing pictures of my late wife for her funeral, so I just stopped printing after that.

I'd like to do some printing again, but even 4 years ago that clog was being persistent. I've previously had two other Epson 13x19 printers that developed unfix-able clogs.

At the least, can't someone come up with a cleaning kit for Epson printers? Something that relies of a solvent instead of pumping expensive ink at clogged openings?

Printers from Epson and Canon have improved in the last few years (since the Epson 3800 days -clog city!) and the suggestions in previous posts seem good. BUT, any printer should not be left just sitting around without any use for an extended amount of time. That is the key to no clogs. So, purchase the application Q-Image which, along with a simple and very good page layout program, has the added function of automatically sending to printer a small printout message which will prevent any clogging if printer is left otherwise idle. The Canon printers have a automatic cleaning cycle as well which does a more through maintanance of the inards of printer. It uses a small amount of ink which will add up to around $20 per month in those cleaning cycles If that extra cost is not too much, I would go with a Canon [Pro 200 (dye) or Pro 300 (Pigment)]. These are the top Canon printers. Frankly, A pro 1000 seems a bit too much for what you want.

No one mentioned the Epson 8550 eco tank printer (around $750) But from Keith Cooper's indepth review - https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65264091 - it seems like a consideration.

Petruska Veteran Member • Posts: 9,096
Try this for the P600 clog.....

You can use Windex with Ammonia in place of the Piezoflush solution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLeExpFVVFo

Bob P.

robnich
robnich Contributing Member • Posts: 761

Over a total of 13 years experience with a Canon Pixma Pro9000 and my current Canon Pixma Pro-100 I have not had one single clog, not even after I was out of the country in Thailand for two months. The Pro-100 is only available now at vastly increased prices, but I would expect the current Pro-200 to provide the same reliable service.

Over years of reading this forum I have gained the impression that Canon printer users, at least in the past, seem to have had significantly fewer clogs than Epson owners. Epson owners may differ.

Robert N.

robnich's gear list:robnich's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Fujifilm X100V Canon Pixma Pro-100

robnich wrote:

Over a total of 13 years experience with a Canon Pixma Pro9000 and my current Canon Pixma Pro-100 I have not had one single clog, not even after I was out of the country in Thailand for two months. The Pro-100 is only available now at vastly increased prices, but I would expect the current Pro-200 to provide the same reliable service.

Over years of reading this forum I have gained the impression that Canon printer users, at least in the past, seem to have had significantly fewer clogs than Epson owners. Epson owners may differ.

Robert N.

I've used quite a number of Epson printers, and clogging has varied from model to model.  I have a multi-function WF-7610 which clogs all the time.  My photo R1800 clogged badly from time to time.  My photo R2000 virtually never clogged, and even when it did, a single clean was all it ever needed.  I'm now using a Canon Pro-200, but it's too new to judge.

-- hide signature --

Simon

Nikon D800
Leon Wittwer Forum Pro • Posts: 13,526
Yes...

I leave my Epson 13x19 printers for six months at a time without printing with no significant issues.  I just keep the power on to the printer and have someone turn the printer on and off once a week or so.  I have done this for almost twenty years as I spend my winters in Arizona.

-- hide signature --
Re: Try this for the P600 clog.....

Petruska wrote:

Bob P.

I've read - and I'm really sorry that I can't remember where - that ammonia is not recommended as it can damage fine copper parts. The article suggested isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol) instead. I can't vouch for the accuracy of that.

PS - the article might have been this one: https://imagescience.com.au/knowledge/never-ever-use-windex-on-your-print-head

-- hide signature --

Simon

Nikon D800
Re: Try this for the P600 clog.....

Simon Garrett wrote:

Petruska wrote:

Bob P.

I've read - and I'm really sorry that I can't remember where - that ammonia is not recommended as it can damage fine copper parts. The article suggested isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol) instead. I can't vouch for the accuracy of that.

PS - the article might have been this one: https://imagescience.com.au/knowledge/never-ever-use-windex-on-your-print-head

Yes that is true that the ammonia “may” attack the copper in the print head if you inject it into the print head. I don’t see the ammonia hurting the print head when doing a quick external print head clean as shown in the video I link to. I have used the cleaning procedure monthly on my Epson R2880, R3000, and P600 without any print head damage. I have been cleaning the R3000 for about 100 cleaning sessions, 10 year's worth.

Bob P.

headmj Contributing Member • Posts: 662

Canon pro--200.  I have run an i9900 and then a Pro-100 since 2005.  I have never had a clog.  I bought it after the last epson I owned clogged permanently.  (I will not own Epson or Apple) The colors and quality are wonderful.  Print fading has been minimal except for prints stored in the open air and sunlight (that's a long story BG).  I have not run the pro-200 but the technology seems similar and I would expect it to be clog free.  They are easy to set up and run.  I always run them wired.

Mike

-- hide signature --
Vernon D Rainwater Forum Pro • Posts: 14,511

PHXAZCRAIG wrote:

I've not printed anything in 4 years now, since my Epson P600 developed a small clog. I was just finishing printing pictures of my late wife for her funeral, so I just stopped printing after that.

I'd like to do some printing again, but even 4 years ago that clog was being persistent. I've previously had two other Epson 13x19 printers that developed unfix-able clogs.

At the least, can't someone come up with a cleaning kit for Epson printers? Something that relies of a solvent instead of pumping expensive ink at clogged openings?

The best Photo Inkjet Printer I have owned and used is the Epson 3880.  I bought it from B&H on 11-22-2010.  I can truthfully state that I have never initiated even one head cleaning and have never had a clogged nozzle during the entire time I have owned it.

It continues to print Excellent photos and is a pleasure to use.

-- hide signature --

Vernon...

The reason the 3880 doesn't clog easily....

Vernon D Rainwater wrote:

PHXAZCRAIG wrote:

The best Photo Inkjet Printer I have owned and used is the Epson 3880. I bought it from B&H on 11-22-2010. I can truthfully state that I have never initiated even one head cleaning and have never had a clogged nozzle during the entire time I have owned it.

is that it has pressurized ink feed cartridges, were most other printers have gravity ink feed.  The Epson P800 also has pressure feed.  I believe that the P700/P900 may now also have pressurized carts.

Bob P.

Euell Veteran Member • Posts: 4,995

NAwlins Contrarian wrote:

Have experienced no clogs with the Epson P900, but used to with the Epson 3880.  Just costs ink to clean them out.

Euell's gear list:Euell's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 7D Sony a6500 Sony a7R III Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +16 more
Euell Veteran Member • Posts: 4,995

Vernon D Rainwater wrote:

PHXAZCRAIG wrote:

The best Photo Inkjet Printer I have owned and used is the Epson 3880. I bought it from B&H on 11-22-2010. I can truthfully state that I have never initiated even one head cleaning and have never had a clogged nozzle during the entire time I have owned it.

I happily used a 3880 until the black ink switching valve failed. Occasionally, I would have to do a head cleaning, particularly if the printer had been sitting unused for a few weeks.  So far have not seen any clogging whatsoever with the P900.

Euell's gear list:Euell's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 7D Sony a6500 Sony a7R III Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +16 more

Euell wrote:

I happily used a 3880 until the black ink switching valve failed. Occasionally, I would have to do a head cleaning, particularly if the printer had been sitting unused for a few weeks. So far have not seen any clogging whatsoever with the P900.

That mirrors my experience with the 3880. All the pigment printers that I have owned had occasional clogs, the 2200 was the worst. So far none with the XP-15000.

Sony a7 II Sony a7R II Tokina 20mm F2 FE MF Voigtlander 65mm F2 Macro APO-Lanthar Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +3 more
dobXdavid New Member • Posts: 11

My XP-15000 lost its pristine printing abilities after about 12 months when the black printer head part failed.  When printing text every 4th line is a mess, indeed illegible in the main.  As far as cleaning it I've so far failed to discern how to as the design is not as others with obvious nipples one can syringe.

At the present I use a laser printer for text and the ink-jet Epson for photos which, up to the present, don't appear to suffer from the failed print-head.

I'm watching what others report of their experience with the Canon 200 with a view to an early change of printer, only had the XP-15000 since April 2018, though the footprint of the Canon looks somewhat on the large size for the amount of desk space I have left.

dobXdavid's gear list:dobXdavid's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro

saddleman wrote:

My XP-15000 lost its pristine printing abilities after about 12 months when the black printer head part failed. When printing text every 4th line is a mess, indeed illegible in the main. As far as cleaning it I've so far failed to discern how to as the design is not as others with obvious nipples one can syringe.

At the present I use a laser printer for text and the ink-jet Epson for photos which, up to the present, don't appear to suffer from the failed print-head.

I'm watching what others report of their experience with the Canon 200 with a view to an early change of printer, only had the XP-15000 since April 2018, though the footprint of the Canon looks somewhat on the large size for the amount of desk space I have left.

Thanks, I will have to watch for this.

Cariboou
Cariboou Veteran Member • Posts: 3,422

Hi,

from Ontario Canada the humidity today is 50% and only when the rain is on the way we go to max 70%, I used for all life Epson printer starting with R80 in the 70th just 1,5 year ago I change my R380 that never give me a problem, because was almost impossible find a ink, now I have a XP-15000 and I am very glad for quality of print and cost of Ink, always in my printer I use the original Epson Ink and never had a problems. So + one for XP-15000

-- hide signature --
 Cariboou's gear list:Cariboou's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads