Grand Teton NP photos

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
jm10 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,476
Grand Teton NP photos

First visit to the park, so mostly well-known locations...I know, lots of them posted...Almost all shot around sunrise. The last one is a panorama stitched from 6 vertical shots (81 mm). Posted a couple of weeks ago at the Fujifilm forum - apologies to those who have seen this already. Your C&C is welcome.

jacob

1. Sunrise at Blacktail Ponds Overlook

2. Sunrise at Schwabacher Landing

3. Sunrise at the Oxbow Bend

4. John Moulton Barn at sunrise

5. A lupine meadow

6. Snake River Overlook

7. The Buffalo Fork with the Teton Range in the background

jm10's gear list:jm10's gear list
Ricoh GR II Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +2 more
1Dx4me
1Dx4me Forum Pro • Posts: 12,334
Re: Grand Teton NP photos

nice set, enjoyed viewing them. thanks for sharing.

-- hide signature --

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence!

BillyBobSenna
BillyBobSenna Senior Member • Posts: 2,870

Beautiful shots. I am heading out to the parts in August. Any advice?

Are there a lot of photographers at these locations at sunrise? I know it seems silly to take the same shot that thousands of others have taken. Regardless, I still think it would be fun to capture the photo myself.

-- hide signature --

Bill - Beverly Hills, MI
Motorsports Photography
www.billgulkerphotography.com

BillyBobSenna's gear list:BillyBobSenna's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +6 more
NikonNature Veteran Member • Posts: 4,720

BillyBobSenna wrote:

Are there a lot of photographers at these locations at sunrise? I know it seems silly to take the same shot that thousands of others have taken. Regardless, I still think it would be fun to capture the photo myself.

I've heard this thought before, but I sort of see it a different way. If you're a serious hobbyist photographer, it's a great opportunity to create 'your version' of an iconic scene. The conditions are never identical and you just might have an original take on it.  And they make great prints you can be proud of. Either way, no harm no foul.

To the OP: Did you have to get tickets, aside from the normal Nat'l Park Pass? What effect did that have on the crowds?

NikonNature's gear list:NikonNature's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD +1 more
OP jm10 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,476

1Dx4me wrote:

nice set, enjoyed viewing them. thanks for sharing.

Thank you for your nice comments 1D!

Ricoh GR II Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +2 more

BillyBobSenna wrote:

Thanks for your kind comments Bob!

Not that many people at sunrise. Sunrise was at 5:40 in June. So one has to get up pretty early. I had to get up before 4 am to get to the Oxbow Bend (40 min drive). The only advice - sunrise pictures can be more spectacular that sunset pictures because of the way the sun lights up the Teton Range.

And I agree with your sentiments in your last sentence:-)

Red Barchetta
Red Barchetta Senior Member • Posts: 4,576

Some beautiful images, good work and tfs.

Red Barchetta's gear list:Red Barchetta's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +5 more

NikonNature wrote:

BillyBobSenna wrote:

I've heard this thought before, but I sort of see it a different way. If you're a serious hobbyist photographer, it's a great opportunity to create 'your version' of an iconic scene. The conditions are never identical and you just might have an original take on it. And they make great prints you can be proud of. Either way, no harm no foul.

To the OP: Did you have to get tickets, aside from the normal Nat'l Park Pass? What effect did that have on the crowds?

Thanks for commenting Jeff! I agree with your sentiments especially when it comes to visiting a location for the first time. If I were to return, chances are I would seek out parts "less iconic"...

They have no daily passes in Grand Teton - This is Wyoming! All National Parks are different - you have to visit their specific websites before you go. Also we spent most of the time outside of the park; most of the "iconic" spots are along  Hwy 191... There was never more than 5 cars in front of us at the entrance points. The biggest crowd was at Jenny Lake - this place becomes a zoo around noon. The town of Jackson is extremely crowded even on weekdays...

Last year we had to purchase daily passes to enter the Rocky Mountain NP. They say it cut the crowds by 50% - not sure if it is true. I visited Yosemite NP this May - just before they decided to have the day passes. I always entered the park before the booth attendants came; on the way back I could see about 20 cars around 11 am.

MrSee
MrSee Senior Member • Posts: 2,108

Very nice set

-- hide signature --

Jim from Ontario Canada
Fuji X-H1
Fuji 18-55 2.8-4

MrSee's gear list:MrSee's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1

Red Barchetta wrote:

Some beautiful images, good work and tfs.

Thank you Red Barchetta for your nice comments!

MrSee wrote:

Very nice set

Thank you very much MrSee!

KENTGA Veteran Member • Posts: 7,479
To the OP

Great set of photos. I've been there 3 or 4 times and was not aware of # 1 and # 7 locations.

Kent

KENTGA's gear list:KENTGA's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +15 more
biff56
biff56 Contributing Member • Posts: 664
Re: To the OP

Yes a great set! Makes me want to return to the area again soon! Greg

ReedW Contributing Member • Posts: 805

Absolutely beautiful.  Gives me something to aim for if we ever make it back there.

NikonNature Veteran Member • Posts: 4,720

jm10 wrote:

NikonNature wrote:

BillyBobSenna wrote:

I've heard this thought before, but I sort of see it a different way. If you're a serious hobbyist photographer, it's a great opportunity to create 'your version' of an iconic scene. The conditions are never identical and you just might have an original take on it. And they make great prints you can be proud of. Either way, no harm no foul.

Thanks for commenting Jeff! I agree with your sentiments especially when it comes to visiting a location for the first time. If I were to return, chances are I would seek out parts "less iconic"...

They have no daily passes in Grand Teton - This is Wyoming! All National Parks are different - you have to visit their specific websites before you go. Also we spent most of the time outside of the park; most of the "iconic" spots are along Hwy 191... There was never more than 5 cars in front of us at the entrance points. The biggest crowd was at Jenny Lake - this place becomes a zoo around noon. The town of Jackson is extremely crowded even on weekdays...

Last year we had to purchase daily passes to enter the Rocky Mountain NP. They say it cut the crowds by 50% - not sure if it is true. I visited Yosemite NP this May - just before they decided to have the day passes. I always entered the park before the booth attendants came; on the way back I could see about 20 cars around 11 am.

Thank you for this information. On another post, someone mentioned daily passes (I think Rocky Mt NP) and it made me nervous. We've been to the Tetons several times and it would be tough if you had a timed window. We always entered pre-dawn and stayed until we got hungry enough to drive us out.

Great images by the way. I was hesitant to open this thread, because every time I see these locations it makes me want to go back! 

NikonNature's gear list:NikonNature's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD +1 more
Blind Bill
Blind Bill Senior Member • Posts: 1,248

Beautiful set of images!  We're visiting the first two weeks of September and staying at Coulter Bay RV Park.  Thinking ahead to travel times from camp and wondered if you stayed near there?  I suspect that we'll be up at O'dark-thirty every morning to be at these sites.

Did you use any ND/CPL's for your shots?

Sorry for all the questions - love your images and am kind of excited to travel that way.

Best.

Blind Bill's gear list:Blind Bill's gear list
Sony a7R III Carl Zeiss Apo Sonnar T* 2/135 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Zeiss Milvus 15mm F2.8 Zeiss Milvus 50mm F2 Macro +3 more
Re: To the OP

KENTGA wrote:

Great set of photos. I've been there 3 or 4 times and was not aware of # 1 and # 7 locations.

Kent

Thanks for your nice comments Kent! #1 - Blacktail Ponds Overlook is often mentioned when you start researching what to see at Grand Teton. # 7 is not. I gathered from Google Maps that this area may be worth visiting.

ReedW wrote:

Absolutely beautiful. Gives me something to aim for if we ever make it back there.

Thank you very much Reed! I hope that you do make it back...

NikonNature wrote:

jm10 wrote:

NikonNature wrote:

BillyBobSenna wrote:

They have no daily passes in Grand Teton - This is Wyoming! All National Parks are different - you have to visit their specific websites before you go. Also we spent most of the time outside of the park; most of the "iconic" spots are along Hwy 191... There was never more than 5 cars in front of us at the entrance points. The biggest crowd was at Jenny Lake - this place becomes a zoo around noon. The town of Jackson is extremely crowded even on weekdays...

Thank you for this information. On another post, someone mentioned daily passes (I think Rocky Mt NP) and it made me nervous. We've been to the Tetons several times and it would be tough if you had a timed window. We always entered pre-dawn and stayed until we got hungry enough to drive us out.

Great images by the way. I was hesitant to open this thread, because every time I see these locations it makes me want to go back!

Thanks for your kind comments Jeff! I would be nervous also if they had the passes for the Tetons. It is an inconvenience. If you enter early before sunrise it is OK - you just drive thru, but if you re-enter you have to deal with the timed window and a line which is typically longer and slower because of the paperwork...I hope someone will come up with a better method of dealing with overcrowding. Don't know what it can be; the fees are already pretty steep...

Blind Bill wrote:

Beautiful set of images! We're visiting the first two weeks of September and staying at Coulter Bay RV Park. Thinking ahead to travel times from camp and wondered if you stayed near there? I suspect that we'll be up at O'dark-thirty every morning to be at these sites.

Did you use any ND/CPL's for your shots?

Sorry for all the questions - love your images and am kind of excited to travel that way.

Best.

Thank you kindly for your nice comments Bill! The days will be shorter in September so you will get more sleeping time in the morning:-) There is no ideal place to stay in the Tetons since the park is so stretched from South to North. Coulter Bay looks OK to me. Only 13 minutes drive to Oxbow Bend! The worst case may be the Mormon Row - 41minutes...I did not stay there; our motel was not too far from the Airport, so I had to drive about 40 min to the Oxbow Bend.

Did not use NDs at all - saw no need. Just once (a 3-stop) for a creek shot around Taggart Lake but did not like the result. Tried CPL a couple of times but realized that the sun was always behind my back (in the morning), so this was not very useful. CPL may be OK if you shoot in the middle of the day having the Teton Range in the background - then the sun will be on the side from you...I would keep the CPL in the bag. If you like shooting lake scenes an ND may be useful to hide the ripples; it may get windy at day time, so it is for you to decide.

Hope you have a wonderful trip.

jacob

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads