Please recommend a good app for iPad Pro for drawing by a beginner

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Pavel Muller Regular Member • Posts: 320
Please recommend a good app for iPad Pro for drawing by a beginner

I would like to combine drawings with photos. I have zero knowledge or experience or training with drawing or painting. I would like an app compatible with PS that would help me combine drawn/painted images with photos. I am looking for an app that is easy to use, but that would give me room to grow as I improve. I have a MacBook Pro (7 years old), that I hope to replace this year with the 16" model and iPad Pro (with Pencil 2) should arrive in 2-3 weeks. Thank you guys

Pavel Muller's gear list:Pavel Muller's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus E-M1 III Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max +1 more
Sal Baker Forum Pro • Posts: 11,518
Re: Please recommend a good app for iPad Pro for drawing by a beginner

Pavel Muller wrote:

I would like to combine drawings with photos. I have zero knowledge or experience or training with drawing or painting. I would like an app compatible with PS that would help me combine drawn/painted images with photos. I am looking for an app that is easy to use, but that would give me room to grow as I improve. I have a MacBook Pro (7 years old), that I hope to replace this year with the 16" model and iPad Pro (with Pencil 2) should arrive in 2-3 weeks. Thank you guys

Procreate is wonderful, and very affordable.

Sal

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Ricoh GR Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T100 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +3 more
OP Pavel Muller Regular Member • Posts: 320

Thank you very much, @sal baker

Zendit_Outdoors Junior Member • Posts: 47

I use the Adobe Creative Cloud on iPad and use several programs for drawing/art. Photoshop is the predominant program I use, though. Since you’re wanting to combine photography and art (kudos for that!!) I can’t think of a better option than Adobe CC. It’s not “cheap” but the entire suite only costs me like $30 a month. All that power, the tools and the versatility is worth it, to me. They may have an a-la-carte version where you can just access the programs YOU want (rather than the complete suite of ALL Adobe products) and that would be considerably cheaper.

Hope this helps!

LarryRC Senior Member • Posts: 1,066

Zendit_Outdoors wrote:

I use the Adobe Creative Cloud on iPad and use several programs for drawing/art. Photoshop is the predominant program I use, though. Since you’re wanting to combine photography and art (kudos for that!!) I can’t think of a better option than Adobe CC. It’s not “cheap” but the entire suite only costs me like $30 a month. All that power, the tools and the versatility is worth it, to me. They may have an a-la-carte version where you can just access the programs YOU want (rather than the complete suite of ALL Adobe products) and that would be considerably cheaper.

Hope this helps!

Has the $9.99 / month PS & LR plan gone away?

LarryRC's gear list:LarryRC's gear list
Sony a7R IV Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III Sony FE 12-24mm F4 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 600mm F4
Barry Twycross Veteran Member • Posts: 4,678

My wife (who's artistic, but not very technical) uses Linea Sketch, which "does a very nice job", and is not that difficult to learn. She highly recommends using an Apple Pencil with that.

She does some really good sketches with it.

Barry Twycross's gear list:Barry Twycross's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Fujifilm GFX 50R Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Fujifilm GF 110mm F2 +9 more
Storare Regular Member • Posts: 197

Artstudio Pro. Advanced drawing/painting and photo editing app complete with layers, masks etc.

-- hide signature --

T.Storare
" A picture says nothing without a thousand words"

Zendit_Outdoors Junior Member • Posts: 47

LarryRC wrote:

I’m not sure. Probably is but I use other Adobe programs for various stuff so I just get the suite - been purchasing the full suite for 15+ years. Lol. I hope the OP saw your post because $10 for those two is actually a terrific deal! PS may take a little longer to learn but it’s a WAY deeper and useful program; and 100% worth the time it takes to learn. Thanks for your comment!

LarryRC Senior Member • Posts: 1,066

Zendit_Outdoors wrote:

LarryRC wrote:

I’m not sure. Probably is but I use other Adobe programs for various stuff so I just get the suite - been purchasing the full suite for 15+ years. Lol. I hope the OP saw your post because $10 for those two is actually a terrific deal! PS may take a little longer to learn but it’s a WAY deeper and useful program; and 100% worth the time it takes to learn. Thanks for your comment!

I found it it is still available.

LarryRC's gear list:LarryRC's gear list
Sony a7R IV Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III Sony FE 12-24mm F4 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 600mm F4
D00M
D00M Senior Member • Posts: 1,127

I have tested multiple drawing apps for my kid.

Here are the 3 apps I recommend:

• Tayasui sketches.  I have the Pro version (which was free before).  Now there is  free version and pro version.  Works well for kids.  Has basic features for beginner.
  • Autodesk SketchBook.  This is a full fledge drawing software that is free.  Basically can do anything that is needed as beginner user, and more.  The interface is a bit old school.  The worst is file management system, which is very confusing and not intuitive.  Still, worth trying this app.  
  • Procreate ($10).  We ended up buying Procreate.  The main reason is that as beginner, trying to learn from YouTube, there are a lot of videos on Procreate.  So kid can follow YouTube step by step.

We also tried many other apps.  Many are free but has advertisement; so need to pay to get rid of ads.

D00M's gear list:D00M's gear list
Sony a6400 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +3 more

Thank you @zenitoutdoors. For me, the PS license is all I use. The other packages are too expensive for me and I also look for something not quite so elaborate. Currently, I sprung for Astropad Basic (which I like so far a lot). I also got the Procreate and I am just learning to use it on a very basic level.

D00M wrote:

I have tested multiple drawing apps for my kid.

Here are the 3 apps I recommend:

• Tayasui sketches. I have the Pro version (which was free before). Now there is free version and pro version. Works well for kids. Has basic features for beginner.
  • Autodesk SketchBook. This is a full fledge drawing software that is free. Basically can do anything that is needed as beginner user, and more. The interface is a bit old school. The worst is file management system, which is very confusing and not intuitive. Still, worth trying this app.
  • Procreate ($10). We ended up buying Procreate. The main reason is that as beginner, trying to learn from YouTube, there are a lot of videos on Procreate. So kid can follow YouTube step by step.

We also tried many other apps. Many are free but has advertisement; so need to pay to get rid of ads.

Thank you. I went for Procreate. I am learning by trial and lots of error. I will look at the tutorials you recommend. Thanks

Toni60 Regular Member • Posts: 106

Hello,

Absolutely Procreate but if you have an Adobe plan the applications are very good.

Regards

Toni60's gear list:Toni60's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads