* The Weekly Image Thread 21 07 11 #580 *

Started 5 months ago | Photos
19andrew47
OP 19andrew47 Forum Pro • Posts: 41,087
Re: More Battered Flowers

Thanks Craig.  Cool here the past few days and under 80 F here today but more rain.

Andrew

19andrew47

Thanks Dicky.  Pretty much the way they looked.

Andrew

19andrew47

Thanks Dave.  The mosquitos here have been awful because of all the rain.  Usually they are not an issue during the day.

Andrew

19andrew47

Thanks WN.  If I want to take a picture of an old man I just need to point the camera into the mirror!

Andrew

19andrew47
Re: Venus and Mars in conjunction.

Perhaps the Shiraz helped.  Last night we had Dandelions Shiraz.  Perhaps you are familiar with it since it is home grown for you.

Andrew

Rich Z
Rich Z Forum Pro • Posts: 14,253
Re: Untitled

Thanks, WhyNot.  "Travels With Charley" is one of my favorite books.

I think it's my failing eyesight making me sharpen more and more.

As far as reality is concerned, I have less and less use for it as it has become too ugly.  More like hypo reality is what I'm practicing, and not just with photography.  Little children spinning until they're dizzy is a good example of the innocent and yet unsophisticated trying to distort reality, looking for something better, or just different, but it doesn't last, and they often vomit.  I often think of the lyrics Barry McGuire wrote for "Eve Of Destruction" in 1965.  "...Ah, you may leave here, for four days in space, but when you return, it's the same old place..."  And, FDRs campaign song, "Happy Days Are Here Again."

Happy Days, stay lucky and well, and don't let reality give you covid, even after you're vaccinated.  Rich

EZGritz
EZGritz Senior Member • Posts: 4,303
100-400 In Alaska

Jim, are you flying or cruising to Alaska? I haven't been there in a while. Wild place.

I see your point about the size/weight of the 100-400 compared with the 75-300. Both 4X zooms. One, 25% more reach, slighter brighter on the long end.

250% bigger and heavier. Seems like it doesn't have to be that much bigger and heavier. I'm not an optical engineer, can't offer any explanation. The Panny and the Sigma are too. The OLY is a better build quality than the Panny IMO, also the opinion of a Panny owner who brought his Panny when I borrowed the OLY. And he loved the way you can use the MC14 and MC20 with the OLY.

EZGritz's gear list:EZGritz's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital 2.0x Teleconverter EC-20 Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +9 more
Rich Z

Not bad at all, Dicky.  Was the first picture hand held at 1/2 second?  If so, I am amazed and astonished.

I learned to like Shiraz the first time I tasted it.  Rich

Jim Vincent Senior Member • Posts: 1,705
Re: 100-400 In Alaska

Flying and driving.

1st night in Anchorage

3 nights in Seward; 2 days to hike, 1 on a glacier/wildlife cruise

3 nights in Homer; 2 days to hike, 1 hike & glacier kayak tour

1 night in Anchorage in route from Homer to Denali

4 nights at Denali; 3 days to hike, 1 all day bus tour as far in as you can go

We were there once before on a bicycle tour 9 years ago. Didn't see any of the Kenai Peninsula, but, loved the scenery. Knew we'd want to return.

Yes, I'd also heard the mz100-400 was a reworked Sigma and it makes sense based on the size, however, Olympus did improve on the Sigma design some. Being able to use the 1.4 or 2 TC's is nice, but, not sure I'd ever do that.

You mentioned the Sigma 150-600 in the other thread. That's even bigger and 50% heavier than the 100-400. Don't know if OMDS will attempt a m43 version of it, but, doubt I'd be interested. I'm having enough trouble holding this one steady!

Will probably mostly shoot the 12-100.  Will bring the 7-14 along, not sure how much it will get used, usually 12 is wide enough or I'll stitch a 3 shot pano.

Jim Vincent's gear list:Jim Vincent's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +3 more
EZGritz

The MC14 and MC20 work great with the 100-400 on a bright day. I tried them but I don't have a need for this much range very often. In Alaska I bet I would. Take them if you have them. They don't take up much space or weigh much.

Most of what I do is 300mm or less. With the MC's we can shoot f/2.8 -f/5 up to 600mm in a comfortable size/weight package. I think OLY knocked it out of the park with the 40-150PRO. It's a reason why I have not opted for the 100-400 yet. Most of the time the extra 200mm doesn't help me. I will need more if I do more birding. The 300 f/4 is over the top great but it would be nice to have a super long zoom when I need one.

Have a great time! I wish I could go to Alaska this summer but in two weeks I'm driving the coast to Sonoma in a roadster. Then over to Reno, then Monterey and home up the coast from there.

Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital 2.0x Teleconverter EC-20 Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +9 more
Jim Vincent Senior Member • Posts: 1,705

Enjoy your drive.  Should be very scenic.

I actually bought the 40-150 f/2.8 shortly after getting my E-M1.1, but, I thought it was too big and bulky for me then.  I returned it and picked up the 75-300 which I've used on and off until purchasing this 100-400.  In bright light, I actually got pretty good results with the 75-300, but, it was kind of slow/finicky about focusing and didn't focus close and wasn't stabilized so my hit rate was lower...

I don't have the teleconverters, so, that's not currently an option.

Jim Vincent's gear list:Jim Vincent's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +3 more
WhyNot
WhyNot Forum Pro • Posts: 10,773

Rich Z wrote:

Thanks, WhyNot. "Travels With Charley" is one of my favorite books.

I think it's my failing eyesight making me sharpen more and more.

As far as reality is concerned, I have less and less use for it as it has become too ugly. More like hypo reality is what I'm practicing, and not just with photography. Little children spinning until they're dizzy is a good example of the innocent and yet unsophisticated trying to distort reality, looking for something better, or just different, but it doesn't last, and they often vomit. I often think of the lyrics Barry McGuire wrote for "Eve Of Destruction" in 1965. "...Ah, you may leave here, for four days in space, but when you return, it's the same old place..." And, FDRs campaign song, "Happy Days Are Here Again."

Happy Days, stay lucky and well, and don't let reality give you covid, even after you're vaccinated. Rich

Reality is illusive and not ever the same for two of us ... Moving away in pictures is just a reminder that this is my interpretation ... rather than yours or that Olympus engineer who wrote the demoising software and set the color science for the sensor   ... a reminder that the camera is not the window onto a real world but the photographer's choice as to what to see and maybe interpret that sight ...  I rarely share pictures that have meaning as I am mostly disappointed with the internet viewing where 10 seconds is a long exposure and rarely does anyone attempt to find any thought behind a picture .... but then I'm a pessimist and after four days I never return to the same old place even if it is  .....

Stay safe, Rich  ...

WhyNot

Rich Z
Re: Three More Stacked

I keep a tripod in the car, WhyNot, but I'm not eager to carry it more than one hundred feet.  I'm getting better at getting successful stacks hand held, but only standing fairly straight.  A crouch, bend or squat makes me too unsteady to get over 50%.

Of course for flowers, but I'm experimenting with other types.  This staircase going down to the beach was a good excuse to try it on a landscape.  Rich

This at 11, 3 and stacked in camera.  Rich

DickyAus Veteran Member • Posts: 3,754

That is a good Barossa Shiraz Andrew. Just steer clear of the Kanga Rouge label.

DickyAus's gear list:DickyAus's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro +1 more
DickyAus Veteran Member • Posts: 3,754

Yes hand held. Last Christmas I managed a couple of 2½Sec hand held shots - but I had had a lot more than two glasses....

Dicky.

DickyAus's gear list:DickyAus's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro +1 more
WhyNot
WhyNot Forum Pro • Posts: 10,773

Rich Z wrote:

I keep a tripod in the car, WhyNot, but I'm not eager to carry it more than one hundred feet. I'm getting better at getting successful stacks hand held, but only standing fairly straight. A crouch, bend or squat makes me too unsteady to get over 50%.

Of course for flowers, but I'm experimenting with other types. This staircase going down to the beach was a good excuse to try it on a landscape. Rich

This at 11, 3 and stacked in camera. Rich

Just out of curiosity why stack?  The hyperfocal distance for a 15mm lens @ f/18 is just under 3 feet and everything from about 1.5 feet to infinity should be perceived to be in focus unless you've enlarged the print to several feet and let the viewer put his nose on it , as I understand it .....   Just curious as to what you get from stacking????

WhyNot

dt27348
dt27348 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,575
Re: Yesterday Morning

It's always good to have you along WN. The drinks are on me.

Dave

dt27348's gear list:dt27348's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Sony DT 16-105mm F3.5-5.6 +4 more
Rich Z

I think much of the interpretation by participants here is to share and learn technical aspects of our photography, WhyNot. And also to show what they find photogenic. It can be tricky to delve into messages and meanings of others. However, if we prompt the viewer to find meaning or message in our work, we may get more input on the effectiveness of our intent. If we do, and they do, we might all get a wider perspective on them, and ourselves, while being careful not to step on toes as it would become very subjective. Rich

EZGritz

It is very scenic along the entire coast between Seattle and Carmel, all the way past Big Sur to San Simeon but I don't think I'll go that far. I've driven it many times. Carmel to San Simeon is one of the world's great drives.

I thought the 40-150PRO was heavy until I shot the 300 f/4 and 100-400. Now I feel like it's a very reasonable size/weight. Got used to it I guess.

I had the 75-300 and liked it but f/6.7 was sometimes marginal and it is not as sharp as the 40-150PRO even with the TCs. It doesn't have the IQ and versatility I wanted. The 40-150PRO does. For me, it's reason enough to own the system.

People who used older generation TCs think they aren't worth using because they degrade the IQ and cut the light too much. The current generation TCs are way better than that and starting from an f/2.8 lens I have plenty of light to work with.

As long as I can shoot 300mm f/5 with a lens/TC weight of less than 2lbs and sharpness and resolution I can crop a great deal, I'm resisting buying a slower lens that is not as sharp, is longer, trombones when it zooms and weighs a 3/4 of a pound more.

I can carry the 40-150PRO on the EM1.2 7-8 hours a day for several days comfortably. I'm going to do it at an event after arrival in Sonoma on this road trip. 300 f/5 is welcome when the light drops. I struggled at this event with the 75-300 at f/6.7 in late afternoon. The other thing I didn't like about the 75-300 is lens creep if you hold it lens pointed down. I found that very annoying.

I would struggle with the weight and length of the 100-400 if I tried to shoot it all day. The 300 f/4 hurts after an hour. Since I can cover 100% of this event with the 40-150PRO I'm not even sure I'll take the 300 f/4. The 100-400 would be nice to have. I wouldn't have to change lenses or use a TC but I'm still going to be able to go lighter and brighter with the 40-150PRO even when I need a TC.

Not so with your trip. You are going to have nearly unlimited light and very long days if you have good weather. You can use the extra reach of the 100-400 in Alaska. I'd want to have one where you're going. I'll wait to buy the lens until I need it. It's on my wish list. I'm sure you will have a great trip.

Enjoy!

Rich Z

While I understand DOF based on lens focal distance and aperture, WhyNot. I still l like to experiment, The process of combining pictures may have more effect on the result than just DOF. I still haven't done many landscapes stacked, so I don't have many examples. This picture may be a better example, still wide but at f/11, but it suffers from making it a jpg from the tiff I made from the original, stacked jpg. When I look at the original compared to a the single orf, I see the tower in back in focus as well as the flowers in front. I have very little practice at stacked landscapes at this time. I will do more as I find compositions that stacking may enhance and post them with notes.

This one at full size and the least compression. It's the best example I have, so far. It is not as sharp as I would like as the wind was gusting and I had to take what I could get. Rich

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads