* The Weekly Image Thread 21 07 11 #580 *

Started 5 months ago | Photos
19andrew47
OP 19andrew47 Forum Pro • Posts: 41,069
Re: When smoke gets in your sky's

A nice effect indeed Jim.  That said the image looks a bit bizarre with that dark grey sky!

Andrew

Rich Z
Rich Z Forum Pro • Posts: 14,235
Re: Untitled

Thanks, Chris.  I was amazed, too.  The bird was there for a few seconds and all I had to do was not mess up.  Rich

Rich Z

Thanks, Andrew.  Narrow gauge railroad tracks were laid into the forest as the logging progressed.  They left a trail of single trees to pull it back out to the track head, then cut those.  One historian told me the largest donkeys were brought in as parts and assembled on site.

The bird flew in while I was shooting a dahlia.  It was less than 10 feet away.  I thought, "Why bother, it will fly before I can reset and get it."  I changed settings with the camera still st my eye, and the bird obliged me, but just for one.  I should have left the camera on stack and tried it that way.

I learned something when Dicky told of putting a light in their eyes and just grabbing them when they freeze.  If I were (much) younger, I'd try that on girls.    Rich

Rich Z

Thanks, Jim.  The bird helped me with that shot.  I am also fascinated by old technology.  Rich

Jim Vincent Senior Member • Posts: 1,705

Thanks Andrew.  It was already dark grey, I enhanced that a bit by pulling some of the saturation out with a gradient filter in post.  Also brought the shadows up some so there is more detail visible in the boats than SOOC.  Wish I could have gotten more of the red in the reflection, but, I'd not stopped down enough when shooting it.

Jim Vincent's gear list:Jim Vincent's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +3 more
Rich Z
Re: Yesterday Morning

You're having a string of great luck in finding light and subjects, Dave.  I really like the first.  Soft and silky suits that rose.  I didn't know you have that lens, it is very good.  The wildflowers are lovely and your thistle doesn't spare on the color as  mine does.  Even the stalks and branches are colorful.  And those leaves are something.  I'm not a big fan of red, so I like yours better.  The sky on the water is just beautiful.

I hope I haven't made you blush from so much praise.  Rich

Rich Z
Re: Stack or not

I think focus stacking adds more variables to the process, Chris.  Andrew's summary contains more information than I had before reading it.  I've been having good luck with focus stacking, but I will now modify my process to more along Andrew's settings to see if I have better results.  Both of these have the central flower not sharp, so they're about equal to me.  I think more DOF still helps with stacking.  I  might have gone up one stop on ISO and one stop tighter on aperture.  I think experimenting is enjoyable and I remember grudging experimental shots using up my film.  These are the good old days.  Rich

Rich Z

That is a half beautiful, but half weird picture, Jim.  I can see the direction of the light source in the water, but no trace of it in the sky.  It looks like you were shooting into the light, but it isn't there.  Rich

WhyNot
WhyNot Forum Pro • Posts: 10,757
Slight Detour

… from where I thought I was going today .. the rain unexpectedly stopped for the whole morning which was mixed overcast and some sun occasionally from between the clouds .. . So I went out into the yard and what I found made me take the 12-100mm lens off the M1.2 … orange bugs (can't find my insect directory!) on the milkweed …

I got out the Sigma 105mm macro lens and they didn't object …

As you might notice the DOF wasn't all that great …. So I went on to the Blackberry lily ..

But then I thought about that DOF and thought maybe focus stacking …???? ….

This was 5 files stacked using Affinity from the Raw files .. Not great!!! between the wind and the moving bug it doesn't seem we get a very good picture unless you use your imagination about what could have been .. but being undeterred I moved on to a more stable yellow Day Lily

This was done from 4 files, again RAW, processed with Affinity and yes I was still using the 105mm Sigma Macro. I had a mono-pod to help steady my hands but the wind did gust and this was during a bit of a lull with little wind movement. The focusing is all done manually starting at the front edge. … I continued with the Blackberry Lily which is prone to more movement and this next was from 3 files ..

I think somewhere about 3 or 4 files, outdoors using the technique I did, that is about the maximum files that can be stacked .. I did try more and never got anything close to these last two in perceived steadiness. BTW these picture are all processed including sharpening as I was interested in the final product not just whether it could be done … and I do think I may find a use for this technique ...

I hadn't planned this detour or to be back before next weekend at the earliest but I found this interesting and hope that you might also … So ….

WhyNot

Craig from Nevada
Craig from Nevada Veteran Member • Posts: 9,676
Re: Slight Detour

Fascinating critters.   Nicely photographed.

Craig from Nevada's gear list:Craig from Nevada's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-H1 Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus E-M1 III Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +1 more
Chris Oly Veteran Member • Posts: 6,144

19andrew47 wrote:

For this image I can not pick Chris. The centre of the flower is not sharp and lacks detail in both versions. This could be a choice you made. It could also be an effect of the type of focus box used and its placement. I use a single focus box when stacking (and generally all my images) and place the focus point where I want the sharpest part of the image, lock the focus and recompose. When stacking it is a bit more complicated. In a stack of nine the camera's first image is made where the focus box is placed. The next two images are made in front of that focus placement and the remainder of the images are made behind the focus placement. The placement of the focus box becomes critical and for the best results you need a single point focus placement so that you can control its location. You also need to place it so that it is closer to the front of the image part you want in focus than to the back. The differential setting is also critical! If it is too much there will be soft bands in the image between the sharp areas. That may be what has happened here. I use a differential of three for almost all my stacking and for the most part only stack nine (I leave the camera set at raw so I get a raw and a jpg for each image of the stack so a stack of nine produces 19 images). For flowers I think that number works well enough. The camera adjusts the actual physical distance of the images based upon the differential setting taking into consideration the f/stop, the focal length used, and the distance the focus box is from the sensor. (Aren't the firmware writers clever!)

So, what settings did you use for the stack?

You can still get an out of focus background if desired when stacking but get detail in the flower area. The amount of background blur is less than what you would get without stacking but it may still work out ok if that is what you prefer.

Andrew

Thank you kindly for very detailed explanation.  I will respond as  soon as feasible.

Regards

Chris

Chris Oly's gear list:Chris Oly's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +2 more
Jim Vincent Senior Member • Posts: 1,705

I was carrying the 100-400 and that was all that fit.  I guess I could have tried a portrait framing but I didn't think of it/try it at the time.

Jim Vincent's gear list:Jim Vincent's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +3 more
WhyNot
WhyNot Forum Pro • Posts: 10,757
Three More Stacked

Well today is shot and I noticed the breeze had dropped and the sun was lower giving a bit softer light so I tried a few more stacked images just to get the practice … This passion flower is what had me thinking about the technique I'm using as I always have a problem with DOF with this three dimensional flower .. This is a stack of 5 files

Then I moved on to the red and white flower, sorry it's raining now and I forget to look at the stake to get the name … this one is 4 stacked images …

Finally these yellow flowers that are spaced a good distance to test the DOF with 4 stacked images

As before these were all taken using the M1.2 with the Sigma 105mm macro lens. The focus stacking was done manually and a mono-pod was used to steady my hands … The processing was done using the focus stacking module of Affinity and these pictures have been further processed. … I think this technique makes the process more usable for me but will require some kind of support when I think I'll need it …

WhyNot

DickyAus Veteran Member • Posts: 3,743
Re: Northlakes again.

Thanks Chris.

DickyAus's gear list:DickyAus's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro +1 more

Thanks Andrew. That lake is a wildlife haven in the middle of suburbia. I was only there for half an hour; sadly the time of day meant most shots were backlit.

Rich does have a fertile imagination that inspires others

Dicky.

Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro +1 more

Thanks Harvey. I liked the berry shot but was too lazy to change lenses to shot the whole tree - should have used the phone I suppose.

Dicky.

Stacking does depend on what you want the image to do. If you want subject isolation don't stack, but if you need depth of field you can't beat stacking. But to stack you do need steady hands. Just out of interest I tried stacking with the 300mm hand held; I managed it on the second attempt but I think the settings need to be refined for the longer focal length.

Dicky.

Interesting image Jim. Maybe you could lift the red saturation to see if it can match what you saw?

Dicky.

Re: Slight Detour

Some interesting bugs and very nice flowers well captured.

Dicky

Re: Three More Stacked

Excellent use of stacking. My pick is the Passion fruit flower.

Dicky.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads