* The Weekly Image Thread 21 07 11 #580 *

Started 3 months ago | Photos
Rich Z
Rich Z Forum Pro • Posts: 13,965
Re: Untitled

Thanks, Dave.  Whilst I do have some of young ladies throwing axes, I think this may be even better. These are those same young ladies competing, but in a log rolling contest.

The log is evenly weighted.

She should have continued competing with girls.  His weight tossed her in the air.

Her scream was delightful.

Afterward, I put my hand in that water.  It was icy cold.

As Andrew says, they must have nice smiles.

If not smiling, this will do.  On her shirt the caption above the stump says, ' I hugged it first.'  They refer to my kind as 'tree huggers'.

I reckon we're even now, and all forgiven since I ambushed you with the Honda truckcycle pulling the trailer.     Now I shall endeavour to come up with something worse.

Slainte mhath

Rich

Chris Oly Veteran Member • Posts: 5,987
Stack or not

Just a little comparison, with and without stacking option on EM-1 Mk III. C&C.

with

without

Chris Oly's gear list:Chris Oly's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +2 more
Re: More Battered Flowers

Normally rain is a blessing, but too much... is NOT. Good demonstration.

Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +2 more

#3 is amazing.

Re: Northlakes again.

Good series. Hard to pick up a winner.

Re: Yesterday Morning

4 & 7 for me. Peace in #7 is amazing.

Craig from Nevada
Craig from Nevada Veteran Member • Posts: 9,441
Re: Veni, Vidi, Vici

Rich Z wrote:

Not to worry, Craig. I read that an hour before your correction and laughed. Thanks.

I know why you came, but what did you see, then conquer?

I'm wondering if you have smoke from the north, and if you've felt any of the great number of earthquakes in the swarm now happening to your south, just a bit north of Topaz Lake. It is the largest swarm I've seen in California. It looks menacing on the map. I wonder if Long Valley Caldera might be getting active.

Have a look at this. Rich

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/?extent=38.38903,-120.23429&extent=38.95727,-118.93378&range=week&format=dyfi&listOnlyShown=true&showUSFaults=true&baseLayer=terrain

The title had no particular meaning. I saw that you went untitled, so I added one.

I have been in an Old Testament mode here in Nevada (no need for Latin)--earthquakes, fire, drought. The earthquake at Topaz got my attention--long and strong.  The house shook, as did everything in it.   Jake barked at the quake a couple times and it stopped.

No smoke for the fire in Oregon--yet and we still have power.  It has been hot, but the heat has been bearable--not the stuff they have in Vegas.  The fire knocked out a transmission line.  I was doing my bit to conserve electricity by using my battery powered kindle to post a response to your excellent pictures instead of the PC.

I am awaiting the start of the next outbreak of Covid here in Nevada.  Meanwhile, Vegas is raking in the money with some of the biggest months ever in terms of winnings (for the house).

The house next door is up for sale.  The asking price is obscene and the owners will likely get it.  They buyers will no doubt be from California and think they are getting a terrific bargain. The swarms.

Craig from Nevada's gear list:Craig from Nevada's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-H1 Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus E-M1 III Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +1 more
19andrew47
OP 19andrew47 Forum Pro • Posts: 40,689

An interesting set Rich.  Steam donkeys, not as cute as the Belgium donkeys!  After they pulled themselves all over the camp and the trees were non existent how did they get out?  Yeah, never mind.  Likely the same way they got there to start with.

You must have been really close to that bird to get that much feather detail at 100 mm.  After seeing the bags of sea bird fertilizer, perhaps Dicky should build a pigeon house to get them off his roof and collect the pigeon droppings to sell!  Would interfere with golf time though.

Andrew

Craig from Nevada

Beautiful flowers, Dave.

Is the yacht included with Charlotte's castle?

dt27348 wrote:

A couple from the garden as I was heading out.

Went to Dunstaffnage for a wander around. Lots of wild flowers.

Yacht heading for Dunstaffnage Bay anchorage.

Dave

Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-H1 Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus E-M1 III Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +1 more
19andrew47

A nicely done set of birds Dicky.  Your wife must have been in the dr's office for quite a while, or you dropped her off to do some shopping afterward.

As to the commentary on the last, you and Rich must be related!  Either that or you have been hanging out here so long that his influence upon you has impacted your imagination!  That reminds me how much I miss Colin Baxter and his comical story telling ability.

Andrew

19andrew47

The flowers are lovely Dave and the images from your wander are lovely.  It is a long way to the sea from where I live so I enjoy seeing this type of image.  We do have marinas and sailing vessels but the other side of Lake Erie is a long way off with no visible backdrop for images except near Long Point and its like but then they don't really have a large impact since they are relatively flat ground.

Andrew

19andrew47
Re: Stack or not

For this image I can not pick Chris. The centre of the flower is not sharp and lacks detail in both versions. This could be a choice you made. It could also be an effect of the type of focus box used and its placement. I use a single focus box when stacking (and generally all my images) and place the focus point where I want the sharpest part of the image, lock the focus and recompose. When stacking it is a bit more complicated. In a stack of nine the camera's first image is made where the focus box is placed. The next two images are made in front of that focus placement and the remainder of the images are made behind the focus placement. The placement of the focus box becomes critical and for the best results you need a single point focus placement so that you can control its location. You also need to place it so that it is closer to the front of the image part you want in focus than to the back. The differential setting is also critical! If it is too much there will be soft bands in the image between the sharp areas. That may be what has happened here. I use a differential of three for almost all my stacking and for the most part only stack nine (I leave the camera set at raw so I get a raw and a jpg for each image of the stack so a stack of nine produces 19 images). For flowers I think that number works well enough. The camera adjusts the actual physical distance of the images based upon the differential setting taking into consideration the f/stop, the focal length used, and the distance the focus box is from the sensor. (Aren't the firmware writers clever!)

So, what settings did you use for the stack?

You can still get an out of focus background if desired when stacking but get detail in the flower area. The amount of background blur is less than what you would get without stacking but it may still work out ok if that is what you prefer.

Andrew

EZGritz
EZGritz Senior Member • Posts: 4,164

These are great. I like the cormorants, the pidgin, and the berries the most.

EZGritz's gear list:EZGritz's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital 2.0x Teleconverter EC-20 Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +9 more
EZGritz

I'd like to be on that sailboat. For a summer.

Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital 2.0x Teleconverter EC-20 Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +9 more
EZGritz

I prefer without. No deep inspection, or analysis. Just a glance.

Jim Vincent Senior Member • Posts: 1,644

Interesting set.

Excellent capture on that bird - it's beautifully crisp and clear.

Old technology like the donkey is intriguing.

Jim Vincent's gear list:Jim Vincent's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +3 more

Nice set.  That first rosebud is gorgeous.

Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +3 more

At a glance, without appears clearer.

When smoke gets in your sky's

Apparently there are some fires in northern MN & WI and some of their smoke is putting heavy haze in our sky in the Twin Cities area.  On my walk by the lake yesterday morning, the sun was burning through the haze a brilliant red, but, I didn't capture it.  Instead, I took this shot of the reflection on the lake.  Even this doesn't show how red it was, but, I kind of like the effect.

Craig from Nevada
Re: When smoke gets in your sky's

Wildfires are the guilty pleasure of photographers here in the west.   The combination of the smoke and sunlight creates some brilliant colors and effects.

Jim Vincent wrote:

Apparently there are some fires in northern MN & WI and some of their smoke is putting heavy haze in our sky in the Twin Cities area. On my walk by the lake yesterday morning, the sun was burning through the haze a brilliant red, but, I didn't capture it. Instead, I took this shot of the reflection on the lake. Even this doesn't show how red it was, but, I kind of like the effect.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads