Maybe I messed up or maybe the R5 saved me

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Kokopelli_Rocks
Kokopelli_Rocks Senior Member • Posts: 2,565
Maybe I messed up or maybe the R5 saved me

My Son recently graduated high school and I wanted to capture a few images. The challenge was the distance. Due to COVID the graduation was held in the HS football stadium. Also, those attending had to be seated, unless invited (school and press photographers). To get a decent angle on the stage we sat in the closest stands to the stage, (not very close). My other challenge was my lens options. At the time I only had two telephoto lenses, an EF 70-200 f4 and a Sigma 150-600 c. The Sigma would be great expect for size. Even with COVID the stands were pretty full. Plus, I wanted to enjoy the ceremony with my family, or as Joel Sartore says 'Pet the Whales'. My other challenge was being new to the R5 at the time. I am still learning, but was really learning at the time.

Below are two images. The first is the 70mm view from my seat. and the second image is 200mm and then cropped. I also processed the images with DxO.

70mm view from my seat

200mm image processed with DxO and cropped

For being new to the R5 I was pleased with the results. I took a few images of my neighbors kids and the parents were very pleased with the results. They could not believe I shot the images form the stands.

I did not have high expectations for the final images after the ceremony, but I am pleased with the results. I printed an 8.5x11 of the above image on my Canon Pro9000 and the print looks great.  I am very happy with how much I can crop the R5 image.

Kokopelli_Rocks's gear list:Kokopelli_Rocks's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Sony RX100 III +21 more
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Karl_Guttag Senior Member • Posts: 1,036
Re: Maybe I messed up or maybe the R5 saved me

It is fun having good equipment. Outdoors on a sunny day causes some harsh light and tend to cause people's faces to be washed out (overexposed and losing saturation). I did a quick touchup below of the boy receiving his diploma.

The pictures looked a little desaturated/overexposed to me and the color seemed a bit off. In Photoshop, I adjusted what white balance and reduced the exposure by about 1/3 stop, and pulled the curve down after that (the net that the exposure of the boy's face receiving his diploma face was reduced by about 1 stop). I also increased the vibrance (saturation in facial tones) a little. A better job could be done working with DXO on the RAW directly. I think you will see that that the faces look better and with more color.

Adjusted White balance, Decrease Exposure about -0.3 and Pulled down curves, increased "vibrance"

Kokopelli_Rocks wrote:

My Son recently graduated high school and I wanted to capture a few images. The challenge was the distance. Due to COVID the graduation was held in the HS football stadium. Also, those attending had to be seated, unless invited (school and press photographers). To get a decent angle on the stage we sat in the closest stands to the stage, (not very close). My other challenge was my lens options. At the time I only had two telephoto lenses, an EF 70-200 f4 and a Sigma 150-600 c. The Sigma would be great expect for size. Even with COVID the stands were pretty full. Plus, I wanted to enjoy the ceremony with my family, or as Joel Sartore says 'Pet the Whales'. My other challenge was being new to the R5 at the time. I am still learning, but was really learning at the time.

Below are two images. The first is the 70mm view from my seat. and the second image is 200mm and then cropped. I also processed the images with DxO.

70mm view from my seat

200mm image processed with DxO and cropped

For being new to the R5 I was pleased with the results. I took a few images of my neighbors kids and the parents were very pleased with the results. They could not believe I shot the images form the stands.

I did not have high expectations for the final images after the ceremony, but I am pleased with the results. I printed an 8.5x11 of the above image on my Canon Pro9000 and the print looks great. I am very happy with how much I can crop the R5 image.

Karl_Guttag's gear list:Karl_Guttag's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 15-35mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 24-70mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 +13 more
Larawanista
Larawanista Veteran Member • Posts: 4,487

Congratulations to your son and kudos to the proud parents. These are the moments when having the right gear pays for itself.

And those are good images to kind of immortalize the moment! You can play around with the raw files to make highlight and exposure adjustments, etc.

-- hide signature --

"Photography is therapeutic."
https://500px.com/joshcruzphotos

Larawanista's gear list:Larawanista's gear list
Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS R Canon EOS RP Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +10 more
Kokopelli_Rocks
OP Kokopelli_Rocks Senior Member • Posts: 2,565

Thanks for the edit!

Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Sony RX100 III +21 more
Kokopelli_Rocks

Larawanista wrote:

Congratulations to your son and kudos to the proud parents. These are the moments when having the right gear pays for itself.

And those are good images to kind of immortalize the moment! You can play around with the raw files to make highlight and exposure adjustments, etc.

I agree, I probably could do a better job in Lightroom, I have been using it for years.  I recently switched to DxO and still have a lot to learn.

Steve W Veteran Member • Posts: 5,672

Congratulations. HS graduations are pivotal moments for all families.

Now my question if you don't mind me asking. You now have an R5 and a Sigma 150-600mm C.. How is that working out? Does the auto focus performance hold up for this adapted combination? Have you every used or do you plan to use the combination for Birds in Flight. Appreciate if you can share your experience on that combination.

Thank you.

-- hide signature --

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe! - Words to live by. Albert Einstein

Steve W's gear list:Steve W's gear list
Sony a9 Fujifilm X-E3 Sony a7R IV Fujifilm X-T4 Canon EOS R5 +42 more
Max5150 Contributing Member • Posts: 851

Whats the files size of that crop, or how many pixels?

Kokopelli_Rocks

Max5150 wrote:

Here is the original File - jpg from camera.

Kokopelli_Rocks

Steve W wrote:

Now my question if you don't mind me asking. You now have an R5 and a Sigma 150-600mm C.. How is that working out? Does the auto focus performance hold up for this adapted combination? Have you every used or do you plan to use the combination for Birds in Flight. Appreciate if you can share your experience on that combination.

Thank you.

Hi Steve,

I like the Sigma 150-600 c. My only challenge has been limited time to shoot with the lens. I went to Yellowstone in early May with the lens and was very happy with the performance. I used a Canon EF to RF converter and it work great. The AF speed was great even with the Sigma TC-1401 1.4 TC. I did not try any BIF so I can't comment on that with the lens. I plan to use the lens when I want some versatility and need for zoom. I recently finally purchased an RF 800mm f11. So I will see what I like best. I bought the Sigma mainly because I had no idea when I could get the 800. Now I have both I will probably keep both, at lease for a while. I got a great deal on the Sigma, B&H was running a promo and included the Sigma dock and a Sigma protective filter. I don't use a lot of filters, but happy with filter since filter of size and of decent quality are not cheap.

In the past I had the Sigma 150-500 and the 150-600 c seems better to me. I like the weight, I can handhold the lens. I did that most of the time in Yellowstone. I think you will be happy with the results.

Edward Leiken Forum Member • Posts: 86

Steve W wrote:

Seriously! You thought your kids were expensive before? HA! College is ridiculous!

(nice shots though!  That was pretty cool)

-- hide signature --

Dyslexics are teople poo.

Edward Leiken's gear list:Edward Leiken's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon RF 15-35mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 85mm F2 Macro IS STM +1 more
Larawanista
Larawanista Veteran Member • Posts: 4,487

Edward Leiken wrote:

Steve W wrote:

Seriously! You thought your kids were expensive before? HA! College is ridiculous!

(nice shots though! That was pretty cool)

You thought college is expensive? Wait until they get to Medical School! Glad mine's done a few years ago and is now a General Surgeon

-- hide signature --

"Photography is therapeutic."
https://500px.com/joshcruzphotos

Larawanista's gear list:Larawanista's gear list
Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS R Canon EOS RP Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +10 more
ISO800 and f11?

Something I just caught was that the picture was shot at ISO800 and f11.  While f11 is typically not horrible, you are certainly losing some resolution due to diffraction and don't need the extra DOF.  There is also some loss from using ISO800. Any losses are made more significant due to cropping.

I'm not being critical as in the heat of shooting, I make mistakes (or more generously, use less than optimum shooting settings) all the time.

Outdoors on a sunny day with still to slow-moving subjects, I think it would have been better to use aperture priority and set the ISO to 100 or 200 (to reduce any blur), and set the f-number at f8 or f5.6. At f8 and ISO100 the shutter speed would have been about 1/400th and at f5.6 it would have been 1/800th.

BTW, indoors with the R5, I will typically use Manual mode with the ISO set to Auto. I then set the aperture and shutter speed based on the situation (subject motion) and let the camera figure out the ISO. I will monitor the ISO to make sure it not getting crazy, but I find with DXO with DeepPrime I am very happy with shots at least up to ISO10,200.

Kokopelli_Rocks wrote:

Max5150 wrote:

Here is the original File - jpg from camera.

Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 15-35mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 24-70mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 +13 more

Edward Leiken wrote:

Steve W wrote:

I know, I sent three and its even more expensive now then when I did it.

-- hide signature --

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe! - Words to live by. Albert Einstein

Kokopelli_Rocks
Re: ISO800 and f11?

I am pretty sure I shot these in P mode. My goal was to capture a few images of my Son graduating.  My main goal was to attend his graduation and enjoy the event.

As I was relatively new to the R5 at the time I  am pretty happy with results. I know they are not perfect. I have not been very active in photography for the last few years so I am still brushing up on my skills.  I do appreciate the advice and comments.

Re: ISO800 and f11?

Kokopelli_Rocks wrote:

I am pretty sure I shot these in P mode. My goal was to capture a few images of my Son graduating. My main goal was to attend his graduation and enjoy the event.

As I was relatively new to the R5 at the time I am pretty happy with results. I know they are not perfect. I have not been very active in photography for the last few years so I am still brushing up on my skills. I do appreciate the advice and comments.

I like looking at the numbers and thinking about what I should do in that situation. Hopefully, it will help me the next time.

I would not know what to do with P mode and would be afraid of what the camera might pick. I almost exclusively use A mode where I know there is enough light to keep the shutter speed high enough AND I am not trying to control the DOF. If there is not enough light, then I will shoot M mode and make decisions base on if there is motion or a DOF.

The R5 is a big step up for me (my last DSRL was the 70D). I joke all the time that it is like cheating to use the R5. I really wish I had something like it when my kids were growing up. It seems to nail both focus and exposure almost all the time. That and I can fearlessly go down to ISO12,800 indoors without flash.

Also, the viewfinder (and live histograms) keeps you from doing something really dumb with exposure. You have enough latitude that you can recover just about anything if you shoot raw and it looks OK in the viewfinder.

With the great autofocus on the R5 and the great lenses (I have the f2.8L trilogy and the RF24-240), I would not hesitate to shoot wide open for artistic or due to low light. In the past, I would usually want to stop down one or two stops to help out the lens and/or autofocus. I was at my older son's wedding reception and the lighting was terrible and using a flash would be disruptive. With eye-detection AF, I nailed a bunch of great shots at f2.8 and ISO12,800 at about 1/80th to 1/125th shutter speed.

Edward Leiken Forum Member • Posts: 86

Larawanista wrote:

Edward Leiken wrote:

Steve W wrote:

You thought college is expensive? Wait until they get to Medical School! Glad mine's done a few years ago and is now a General Surgeon

Good choice.  I went into emergency medicine and it took me 20 years to pay off my loans.  My son is applying to med school in the spring.  CRAP.  I tried to talk him out of it.  I'm NEVER going to stop paying..... never

-- hide signature --

Dyslexics are teople poo.

Edward Leiken's gear list:Edward Leiken's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon RF 15-35mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 85mm F2 Macro IS STM +1 more

Edward Leiken wrote:

Larawanista wrote:

Edward Leiken wrote:

Steve W wrote:

Good choice. I went into emergency medicine and it took me 20 years to pay off my loans. My son is applying to med school in the spring. CRAP. I tried to talk him out of it. I'm NEVER going to stop paying..... never

I don't know. It looks like you set an example and paid off your own medical school loans. Five years from now your son can pay off his own medical school loans.

In reality with my children I agreed to pay 1/2 their graduate school loans if they made through in the prescribed amount of time. I had friends who thought extending their graduate school time was a nice lifestyle and were in no rush. At least with medical school they don't typically let that happen. I don't have any kids who became doctors but have one son who is a lawyer and a daughter who is becoming a PA/NP.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads