***This week with your a7x/a9x/a1, July 10th - 16th, 2021***

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
rogerjosem
MOD rogerjosem Veteran Member • Posts: 3,293
***This week with your a7x/a9x/a1, July 10th - 16th, 2021***

This weekly topic serves as a place for forum members to share recent work with our Sony Alpha full frame cameras. It's OK for a7x and a9 camera owners to dazzle us with images made with other cameras, but the idea is to allow owners with similar cameras to compare notes, chops, and sensibilities.

Using Threaded View helps to keep each person's contribution and responses linked in a tree-like structure so replies/discussions are easier to follow.

To begin:

1. Add your contribution for the week by responding to this, the first message in this topic.

2. Change the Subject of your message, then embed your image into the reply with whatever you’d like to say about it. (Embedding makes it easier to participate, easier than a link to an image located outside the forum - but links aren’t a great offense).

If you especially want C&C (criticism/critique) or technique feedback, say so. It’s assumed one does want such feedback, but direct requests may garner a more studied analysis/response. If you don't want such feedback, say so, and others will respect your wishes.

If you feel you've been ignored, select your post, reply to it with a brief note to the effect of "Can I get some feedback?". Not getting feedback on a post isn't uncommon, so don't feel offended - no one is charged to ensure all posts get attention (we're not organized enough for that). If you want particular feedback (composition, exposure choice, etc.), saying so can be helpful for the potential respondents as to what your needs may be.

It is courteous and advisable that, should you post images for feedback, you also make comment on at least one other contribution. Respectful acknowledgment of everyone is the goal, and it’s requested that all participants assume some responsibility to that end.

Sometimes people illustrate suggestions by re-editing images that you post here and reposting them in this thread. If you don't want that done, please say so. Otherwise, we'll all assume that's OK with you. Of course, it is never OK for anyone to take your images, edited or not, and repost them elsewhere.

rogerjosem's gear list:rogerjosem's gear list
Sony a7R III Fujifilm GFX 100S Zeiss Otus 55mm F1.4 Zeiss Otus 85mm F1.4 Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +10 more
Sony a1 Sony a7 Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
rogerjosem
OP MOD rogerjosem Veteran Member • Posts: 3,293
Snaps
 rogerjosem's gear list:rogerjosem's gear list
Sony a7R III Fujifilm GFX 100S Zeiss Otus 55mm F1.4 Zeiss Otus 85mm F1.4 Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +10 more
Puppy2007 Regular Member • Posts: 446
Spot the hare

Spot the hare

Puppy2007's gear list:Puppy2007's gear list
Panasonic LX10 Sony a7C Sony FE 20mm F1.8G Samyang AF 75mm F1.8 FE Tamron 28-200mm F2.8-5.6 +1 more
MIRANDA1 Contributing Member • Posts: 694
Some local wildlife

-- hide signature --
tbpeur01
tbpeur01 Regular Member • Posts: 451
Beauty in fine details

Macro always means a perfect subject is nearby.

tbpeur01's gear list:tbpeur01's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM
BlueJakester
BlueJakester Veteran Member • Posts: 3,412
Grooming her young
 BlueJakester's gear list:BlueJakester's gear list
Nikon D7100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-H1 Sony a7R IV Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +4 more
John Borrelli
John Borrelli Senior Member • Posts: 1,092
Coastal view of the Marginal Way, Maine

All the best, John

LouMeluso
LouMeluso Contributing Member • Posts: 720
Tomato Hornworm

Out in my garden.

A7RII, FE 90mm F2.8 macro

-- hide signature --
 LouMeluso's gear list:LouMeluso's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Sony a7R II Sony a7R IV Sony a7C Sony Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA SSM +13 more
paul katinas
paul katinas Contributing Member • Posts: 828
Young Black-Crowned Night Heron

Happy sails.

Black crowned Night Heron 1

Black Crowned Night Heron 2

Squirrel munching

Happy trails.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/137782669@N07/
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/7929537959

trainerKEN Senior Member • Posts: 1,512
Kingfisher Diving
 trainerKEN's gear list:trainerKEN's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Sony a9 II Sony a1 Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM +9 more
lambee01 New Member • Posts: 9
Newborn and her Mom

Hand in hand...

LouMeluso
LouMeluso Contributing Member • Posts: 720
Re: Kingfisher Diving

Nice action sequence!

-- hide signature --
 LouMeluso's gear list:LouMeluso's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Sony a7R II Sony a7R IV Sony a7C Sony Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA SSM +13 more
BlueJakester
BlueJakester Veteran Member • Posts: 3,412
Re: Coastal view of the Marginal Way, Maine

Landscapes don't get any better than this. Excellent capture!

Cheers,

Jake

BlueJakester's gear list:BlueJakester's gear list
Nikon D7100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-H1 Sony a7R IV Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +4 more
mikedelderfield
mikedelderfield Regular Member • Posts: 332
Bee

-- hide signature --

Still looking for the artistic bone that must be somewhere in my body....
Gallery
http://r2-photography-uk.com
Insta https://www.instagram.com/r2_photography_uk

mikedelderfield's gear list:mikedelderfield's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 SSM II Samyang AF 35mm F2.8 FE +5 more
Orsonneke
Orsonneke Contributing Member • Posts: 523
Moon

Sony A7R4 600 GM , 1,4 TC

Orsonneke's gear list:Orsonneke's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Sony a7R IV Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +10 more
John Borrelli
John Borrelli Senior Member • Posts: 1,092
Re: Coastal view of the Marginal Way, Maine

BlueJakester wrote:

Landscapes don't get any better than this. Excellent capture!

Cheers,

Jake

Thank you Jake for the kind words!  Very much appreciated, John

dv312
dv312 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,888
Of birds and not men

dv312's gear list:dv312's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Sony a9 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 1.4x Teleconverter Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3
trainerKEN Senior Member • Posts: 1,512
Re: Kingfisher Diving

LouMeluso wrote:

Nice action sequence!

thanks!  I was waiting for the longest time and was getting ready to leave when she showed up and on top of that... did her "fishin'"on the side of the pond with good light! 

trainerKEN's gear list:trainerKEN's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Sony a9 II Sony a1 Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM +9 more
Colorado Snowman
Colorado Snowman Regular Member • Posts: 449
Re: Grooming her young

Nice capture BlueJakester!  Congrats!  Regards, Dean

Colorado Snowman's gear list:Colorado Snowman's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a1 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) +5 more
verybiglebowski
verybiglebowski Veteran Member • Posts: 4,455
Story about shooting a photo of Kat and Wolf

First comes the idea.

(With my master drawing skills, I am always surprised that no one else understands what I want.)

Then I contacted two friends - Kat and Hana. Kat is my favorite model and Hana has two dogs -Czechoslovakian Wolfdog Breed

The next step was to choose the location. Not so easy in a city, because we only could meet together on Saturday and the parks are full of other dog owners and families. It took me a few days and over 100 km on my bike, just to find the best location some 500m from my home.

What I liked about it is a wild look, I didn't like its complexity but that's a challenge for the lighting ideas...

We agreed on wardrobe and makeup and finally met on the location.

The first thing we needed to do, was to clarify how we will shot it, who will stand where what is the best composition, and what commands are needed to be called, and in which order.

As usual, many problems arise. Starting from my light stands that were almost impossible to safely level on the ground, through the short space for the pre-jump run, and ending with the very little space for the camera itself.

We had two "wolves" - Andy and Ezra. Andy is a girl and Ezra boy and as it happens, Ezra was a bit lazy to jump on a high part. Lately, I decided to shot Ezra separately and if needed to compose him in the post, but I finally decided it's not necessary (for now).

Originally we thought that dogs will run faster than Kat, but as it shows it was another way around. We needed to adjust the distances and commands accordingly.

There were two crucial problems - timing and my week flashes which couldn't recharge fast enough for 5+ fps. Another lighting problem was shading between Kat and wolves (that one I didn't solve as it would need much more work and more lamps, reflection boards, and assistants).

Finally, I got the shot with Andy alone, which was close to my original idea. The lighting wasn't perfect (far from it in fact), but this is a no-budget project, so I knew that some compromises would have to be made.

To avoid the shading between Andy and Kat, I would need to put my main light much higher than I was able to. It would be better to create the contour light more from behind, but that would need a larger distance and thus much stronger lamps than my Godox AD200 Pro are.

Anyway, I was happy with the plate shot. We shoot Ezra a few times separately, but for now, I didn't find that jump appealing enough. Ezra is looking down and to the right, when I placed him in the layer, the image lost some of its energy)

The lighting on Ezra is very good IMHO, so maybe he will find his way to the final image.

The last thing I wanted to do is to add some fog in the background. I needed to shot that separately because of the lack of assistants.

I was running with the smoke, while my model was kind enough to press the shutter every 5 or so seconds.

In time, fog nicely diffuse, and the counter view, revealed famous forest light shafts. So if you are lazy like me to wake up early morning, this is the option, but be extremely cautious not to start the fire.

A few hours later on my slow PC and the first version, which looks fine to me, was ready to go public.

Sony A7R IV + Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM (at 27mm)

After some sleep, I made also the version with both "wolves".

I hope this little story makes sense, it was a fun project, looking forward to new ideas.

verybiglebowski's gear list:verybiglebowski's gear list
Sony a7R Sony a7R II Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Zeiss Otus 55mm F1.4 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads