How to put a deadcat on a smartphone mic?

Started 3 months ago | Questions
Saint 112 Senior Member • Posts: 1,767
How to put a deadcat on a smartphone mic?

Hi all

I am about to give up plugging-in a mic on my smartphone and since I make videos in the open-air the wind is way too noisy. Therefore I wonder if anyone managed to put a deadcat on the mic.

Any clue follks?

TIA

Nick

Saint 112's gear list:Saint 112's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX10 III
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Richard_CC Regular Member • Posts: 307
Re: How to put a deadcat on a smartphone mic?

Mic or Mics?  Lots of phones have 2, at opposite ends.  Elastic bands?  Go kill a cat (or 2) and try it.

Lots of stuff on you tube - some sensible.

OP Saint 112 Senior Member • Posts: 1,767

Richard_CC wrote:

Mic or Mics? Lots of phones have 2, at opposite ends.

1 mic is enough.

Go kill a cat (or 2) and try it.

That's seems to seem a good plan. Yet I am afraid it would scream and make the plan a self defeating idea.

Nick

vv50
vv50 Contributing Member • Posts: 851

Saint 112 wrote:

Hi all

I am about to give up plugging-in a mic on my smartphone and since I make videos in the open-air the wind is way too noisy. Therefore I wonder if anyone managed to put a deadcat on the mic.

Any clue follks?

there used to be fly-by-night companies that sold windscreens for the nokia 808, now long gone.  diy with any microphone foam and duct tape

vv50 wrote:

there used to be fly-by-night companies that sold windscreens for the nokia 808, now long gone. diy with any microphone foam and duct tape

When I use my mic on my camera the foam is not enough to stop the wind noise. I am considering using a headphones with microphone and stuff the mic into a deadcat. I don't need a good sound recording (when I do I use my camera with a real microphone) I need to get the surrounding noise and convey the atmosphere of the scene.

Nick

vv50

Saint 112 wrote:

vv50 wrote:

there used to be fly-by-night companies that sold windscreens for the nokia 808, now long gone. diy with any microphone foam and duct tape

When I use my mic on my camera the foam is not enough to stop the wind noise.

how about cotton ?

vv50 wrote:

Saint 112 wrote:

vv50 wrote:

When I use my mic on my camera the foam is not enough to stop the wind noise.

how about cotton ?

It looks smart. It just holds with a tape? I'll try it soon. There is practically no wind today.

Thanks for the tip.

Actually the original issue is that my smartphone, a Xiaomi Redmi Note 8, has a jack socket but whatever the trick you try it accepts earplugs+mic only but no stand-alone mics. It's obviously by design. Unlike most devices I know when you plug any jack in the socket it doesn't mute the built-in mic, it does it only if it's earplugs. So there is no physical switch in the socket, it's the firmware.

Nick

vv50

Saint 112 wrote:

it accepts earplugs+mic only but no stand-alone mics.

how about experimenting with a 3.5 mm headphone and mic combiner

vv50 wrote:

how about experimenting with a 3.5 mm headphone and mic combiner

When I started toying with my new smartphone after I was impressed with some of the qualities I didn't expect from an entry-level model (no rolling-shutter and no distortion at all) I was a perfect dummy. To have a better sound and cope with wind noise I bought a mic. It didn't work although the vendor said it was working on cams as well as on smartphones. I inquired on forums and researched on the net. Of course it can't work: you need a splitter. I bought one (or headphone and mic combiner) and it didn't work. Some people told me it could be because the app I was using was not compatible. I tried with all the apps available without success. On my way I gathered some knowledge about the TRS and TRRS connexions, the CTIA vs OMTP standards, etc., so I am much less of a dummy than I used to be. I suspected the standards of the different devices were not compatible. I continued inquiring.

Bottom line:

• My smartphone's socket standard is TRRS/CTIA.
  • My mic's jack standard is TRS/CTIA so there is no way it can work if plugged directly.
  • My splitter is TRRS/CTIA -> TRS/CTIA so it should work… but it doesn't. The built-in mic is not even cut off.
  • An earplug/mic combo works just fine. The built-in mic is cut off.

Hence the smartphone recognizes what's connected and allows the connection only if it's an earplug/mic combo. It's obviously not a hardware issue, it's a firmware of software issue. If it's not deliberately on purpose it's at least a side effect of the way the thing is designed.

None of these info are documented anywhere.

Conclusion: either I buy a new smartphone after I make sure it'll work or I make do with the one I have.

Nick

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads