Becoming harder to find.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Miss tilly
Miss tilly Senior Member • Posts: 1,735
Becoming harder to find.

Some time ago I posted about the demise of my beloved X10. After considerable thought I decided to try to find another one. It has taken a long time to find one in the condition I want, fingers crossed this one will be as advertised. They are definitely becoming harder to find, or the demand for them has increased. Anyway, I think my other cameras will see little or no use soon.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Gary

Fujifilm X10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
The Point and Shoot Pro
The Point and Shoot Pro Senior Member • Posts: 1,764
Re: Becoming harder to find.

Miss tilly wrote:

Some time ago I posted about the demise of my beloved X10. After considerable thought I decided to try to find another one. It has taken a long time to find one in the condition I want, fingers crossed this one will be as advertised. They are definitely becoming harder to find, or the demand for them has increased. Anyway, I think my other cameras will see little or no use soon.

I saw one on ebay the other day with box and everything and it looked brand new.  Hopefully you have a good example coming your way.  I love mine.

-- hide signature --

One Lens, No Problem
The Point and Shoot Pro

The Point and Shoot Pro's gear list:The Point and Shoot Pro's gear list
Canon PowerShot A570 IS Kodak DC220 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-S1 Apple iPhone 11 +4 more
Brian Homer
Brian Homer Contributing Member • Posts: 652

I saw a nice one on eBay here in the UK which went eventually for more than I paid on eBay a few months ago for my X30. I think I was lucky as X30s on eBay now attract a lot more than I paid.

-- hide signature --

Brian Homer

Brian Homer's gear list:Brian Homer's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Fujifilm X100F Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +8 more
Miss tilly
OP Miss tilly Senior Member • Posts: 1,735

Arrived today, posted back within an hour, enough said!

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Gary

Bob Smart Forum Member • Posts: 59

Miss tilly wrote:

Arrived today, posted back within an hour, enough said!

I can imagine…..

I received my x20 yesterday, turns out it suffers from dreaded blurry ovf at wide angle, still capable of getting great images and I got it really cheap, so suggested a partial refund. Seller seems to be selling for his boss in a charity shop. He said he’d have to talk to manager but thought they’d prefer to have camera returned and offer it to next highest bidder???

Something just isn’t ringing true to me, call me untrusting but my spidersense is tingling 😂. Also uncomfortable about returning it, just for it to be sold to someone else who has bid thinking it is 100%.

Still finding my way around the x20 but getting good images out of it without the ovf, so tempted just to keep- it’s a great size, handles great and I can still just about frame shots, even though my view is blurry and I got it pretty cheap.

Shame though, a fully functional example would have been even better…..

Bob Smart's gear list:Bob Smart's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D800 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +5 more
Miss tilly

Sorry to hear that. The ovf with overlay is one of the main reasons people buy the X20. I would return it definitely, just my opinion, best of luck with your decision.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Gary

Bob Smart Forum Member • Posts: 59

Miss tilly wrote:

Sorry to hear that. The ovf with overlay is one of the main reasons people buy the X20. I would return it definitely, just my opinion, best of luck with your decision.

Hi,

Bizarrely, the overlay still works, so in bright light if I can't see the lcd panel, I can still use ovf to check settings/exposure. 

Bob Smart's gear list:Bob Smart's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D800 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +5 more
prime Senior Member • Posts: 2,399

Miss tilly wrote:

I was in your position a couple of years ago, and found a used X10 sold through a Japanese seller on eBay; it has worked out well for me. As I have close ties to Japan, perhaps I am both more trusting and more discerning as to the Japanese merchants with whom I will, or will not, deal. But, from whomever you buy, do not lose sight of the so-called Orbs Problem on early production X10 cameras. If the initial listing does not contain a serial number, ask the seller for a photo of the bottom of the camera where the serial number appears.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124745956929?hash=item1d0b703e41:g:1-8AAOSwjv9gsJle

The minimum value of the serial number should be that the first two digits are 22; the "fix" did not observe the December 31/January 1 boundary exactly, so a serial number starting 22* is iffy, and you need a 23* serial number to be completely safe; but a high 22* serial number is relatively safe.

Good luck.

Miss tilly

You are absolutely right, I am aware of the serial number importance. This of course adds to my original post title, becoming harder to find.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Gary

Miss tilly
Re: Becoming harder to find. Update.

Another one on its way. Quite hopeful this time. Advertised as ‘very good condition’ which I think is an honest assessment (given the two previous ’mint’ experiences.) Nice late serial number and a very communicative seller. You would not believe how much this ancient user has missed this ancient camera!!

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Gary

John Keiffer Regular Member • Posts: 172
Re: Becoming harder to find. Update.

Oh cool, I hope this one's a keeper. Do photos photos when it comes.

-- hide signature --

John

John Keiffer's gear list:John Keiffer's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Coolpix A Fujifilm X30 Canon EOS 300D Sony a6000
Miss tilly

Another return I am afraid. One of the biggest problems is that everyone has a different perception of what ‘mint’ or ‘excellent condition’ means. I accept that I am very fussy but a sticky on/off mechanism and sticky zoom are signs of future problems. I know it is a very old model but I love it, it ticks all my boxes and medium (6mpx) JPEG’s are hard to beat, in fact they are outstanding. I will keep looking.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Gary

Brian Chichester
Brian Chichester Contributing Member • Posts: 660

I'm very sorry to hear about your ongoing difficulties in getting hold of a truly mint X10.

I have been more fortunate: I bought a truly mint X10 about 3 years ago, looked after it, and sold it on in mint condition (for reasons that I will come to), and I recently bought a truly mint X30 which I am enjoying very much.

I know everyone has their own reasons for liking particular cameras and I agree there is much to like about the X10. Three things I found about the X10 which caused me to pass it on were: the optical viewfinder, the fixed rear screen, and the EXR processing, which involves a lot of pixel binning. The processed jpegs are indeed beautiful but they are only 6MP.

I have found that the X30 addresses all of these issues, the only downside being that it is a bigger camera. I know that you are not alone in believing that the X10 was the first and best of the series, and I'm not trying to get you to change your opinion. Just saying I've been there, done that, and I came to a different conclusion.

However, getting hold of a mint X30 is getting harder as well, and I know that I was fortunate twice over. Falling in love with discontinued cameras can be a fraught business.

Brian Chichester's gear list:Brian Chichester's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Sony a6000 Olympus PEN E-PL6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +7 more
The Point and Shoot Pro

Gary,

What kind of prices are you paying for these "mint" x10s?

-- hide signature --

Fronterra Photography Tours
One Lens, No Problem
The Point and Shoot Pro

Canon PowerShot A570 IS Kodak DC220 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-S1 Apple iPhone 11 +4 more
Brian Homer
Brian Homer Contributing Member • Posts: 652

Reading tase posts makes me realise how lucky I was in December last year to pick up an X30 in very good condition - would be mint but for some minor paint loss bits on corners. I only paid £165 and now they tend to go for more on eBay - I've bid on a couple more just for fun but always been outbid.

Like you very happy with this little camera. It's an absolute gem of a walk round camera - since I got it my (admittedly old) iphone and even my X100F don't get as much useful casual photography.

-- hide signature --

Brian Homer

Brian Homer's gear list:Brian Homer's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Fujifilm X100F Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +8 more
Miss tilly

My ceiling is €200.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Gary

Miss tilly

Brian, thanks for your thoughts. I have owned the X10, X20 and X30. All excellent cameras with their own unique features. I know by modern standards the X10 would be easily surpassed. I just happen to like everything about it. I am currently working along quite happily with my G1X, fantastic image quality but not so nice to use. I am on the trail of another X10, the owner is happy to communicate which is great.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Gary

The Point and Shoot Pro

Hmmmm.  So tempting.  Mine is in like new condition with box etc.  There is an X100 I want here, but I am not sure because I have never used a newer camera without some type of zoom capability.

-- hide signature --

One Lens, No Problem
The Point and Shoot Pro

The Point and Shoot Pro

Just found a brand new one for you. Not sure if they would take a price reduction or not.

New Fujifilm Fuji X10 12MP 2.8''Screen 4x Zoom Digital Camera - BLACK + extras$ 662425807772 | eBay

-- hide signature --

One Lens, No Problem
The Point and Shoot Pro

Brian Chichester
Brian Chichester Contributing Member • Posts: 660

The Point and Shoot Pro wrote:

Just found a brand new one for you. Not sure if they would take a price reduction or not.

New Fujifilm Fuji X10 12MP 2.8''Screen 4x Zoom Digital Camera - BLACK + extras$ 662425807772 | eBay

Just did a quick conversion on that price and it's 535 Euros - a bit above Miss Tilly's ceiling. Also, bearing in mind it must have been sitting around for some years, it's pretty steep even if it is unused.

Brian Chichester's gear list:Brian Chichester's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Sony a6000 Olympus PEN E-PL6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads