1st stab at Milky Way (work in progress)

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
thxphotog Junior Member • Posts: 33
1st stab at Milky Way (work in progress)

Went to Joshua Tree (2 1/2 hours outside of L.A.) this weekend with the advantage of no moon and a full ice-chest. Used a tracker for the first time, StarGuider Pro, and shot about 30 minutes total in 30-40 second exposures. Unfortunately, I didn't notice just how many small wispy clouds were in many of the frames just above the horizon until I got 'home'. So I eliminated the bulk of those cutting my 30 minutes of exposure time down to about 20 minutes.  Oh, 5D MKiii with Sigma ART 1.8 14mm

I used star-stacker & I took one pass at post processing in photoshop and now I'm sure I can do better but it took so long I'm gonna wait until trying again.

Learning experience for sure and everything can be greatly improved upon. Here's a first attempt:

thxphotog's gear list:thxphotog's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +1 more
Astrophotographer 10 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,907
Re: 1st stab at Milky Way (work in progress)

Its very brown with no colour. What white balance setting are you using. It looks like daylight setting which looks all brown and yellow before processing adjusting.

Try adjusting the white balance to get a more balanced colour.

Greg.

Astrophotographer 10's gear list:Astrophotographer 10's gear list
Sony a7R III Canon EOS Ra +1 more
OP thxphotog Junior Member • Posts: 33

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

Its very brown with no colour. What white balance setting are you using. It looks like daylight setting which looks all brown and yellow before processing adjusting.

Greg.

Thanks Greg!  100% correct.  (BTW, used auto WB in cam)  A quick click WB adjustment and I'm much closer:

thxphotog's gear list:thxphotog's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +1 more
Alen K
Alen K Senior Member • Posts: 1,350

thxphotog wrote:

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

Greg.

Thanks Greg! 100% correct. (BTW, used auto WB in cam) A quick click WB adjustment and I'm much closer:

Before you adjust further, you should read these:

https://clarkvision.com/articles/color.of.the.night.sky/

https://clarkvision.com/articles/nightsky-natural-color-vs-bad-post-processing/

and optionally https://clarkvision.com/articles/astrophotography-color-and-critics/.

You can choose to disagree with Roger Clark or choose not to try for "natural" colors as he defines that word, choosing instead to go for "artistic" colors, but at least you will do so knowingly.

2sealsonwheels New Member • Posts: 13

I pretty much just lurk on DPReview, but I just wanted to say thanks for the "Clarkvision" link...there is a TON of info there.

I've been doing some astrophotography and daytime ND long exposure stuff lately and having LOTS of fun and getting great results!

Carry on!

-- hide signature --

Just having FUN
NIkon D200 and D3500

2sealsonwheels's gear list:2sealsonwheels's gear list
Nikon D70s Nikon D200 Nikon D3500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads