Fujifilm XF 35mm f1.4 vs 35mm f2 (Sample Photos)

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
DavidB2 Contributing Member • Posts: 523
Re: Fujifilm XF 35mm f1.4 vs 35mm f2 (Sample Photos)

With a small child, the faster focusing of the f2 would be the most important differentiator for me.

DavidB2's gear list:DavidB2's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sony a7R III Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro +12 more
Corot2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,603
Had both sold one

Sold the 35 f1.4

I preferred the autofocus speed of the f2, also it is wr to go along with my XT 2, and  can handhold it to achieve at least 1/2 stop or more vs the f1.4. 
Images were comparable from my experience, the f 1.4 felt clunky and I preferred the ergonomics

-- hide signature --
 Corot2's gear list:Corot2's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E2S +7 more
CeeDave
CeeDave Senior Member • Posts: 2,109
Re: Had both sold one

Corot2 wrote:

Sold the 35 f1.4

I preferred the autofocus speed of the f2, also it is wr to go along with my XT 2, and can handhold it to achieve at least 1/2 stop or more vs the f1.4.
Images were comparable from my experience, the f 1.4 felt clunky and I preferred the ergonomics

I’m not sure I understand. Are you saying the better AF lets you use a slower shutter with the f/2? That’s an *interesting* claim…

-- hide signature --

Chris
Striving to make the quotidian quotable.

CeeDave's gear list:CeeDave's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +11 more
OP jidccruz Regular Member • Posts: 112

JoshuaRothman wrote:

jidccruz wrote:

I actually want to know everyone's thoughts as I don't plan to keep them both.

I really really love the f1.4 and not minding the slow and hunting focusing, but my daughter is starting to learn to walk now and I reckon the f2 will give me more keepers than the f1.4, so.... I don't really know. Although I have the 23 f2 and 90 f2 which are snappy (giving myself reason to keep the slowpoke 35 f1.4 haha)

And yeah, the distortion is really there for the f2.

Personally, I wouldn't make this decision using test images. I'd take pictures of your main subject—your toddler daughter—and see which you prefer.

I have a three year old, and after testing both I found that I preferred the 35 1.4. On my X-Pro3, the focusing is very fast. And I think the extra stop of light is meaningful. I take a lot of family pictures in low light

Yeah, in my XT30 it's fast enough even for non-pose candid shots of her. Alternatively, Im thinking of posting an ad to sell the XT30 + 35 f2 and buy a used X-H1 ($694) or XT3 ($833). AF and weight wise it's the XT3, BUT I heare the IBIS in the XH1 reallt helps lowering your SS for low-light. I'll keep the XT2 as a backup or just sell it too if I'll be happy with either.

jidccruz's gear list:jidccruz's gear list
Fujifilm X70 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR XF 90mm

DavidB2 wrote:

With a small child, the faster focusing of the f2 would be the most important differentiator for me.

You're actually correct!

Fujifilm X70 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR XF 90mm
Morris0
Morris0 Forum Pro • Posts: 21,321

Very useful.  Thank you.  I would love to see the same with portraits of a person.

Morris

Morris0's gear list:Morris0's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C XF 90mm Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR +12 more
Miguel-C
Miguel-C Senior Member • Posts: 2,157

maltmoose wrote:

Pixel8888 wrote:

maltmoose wrote:

Aparently one is magic and the other isnt. All i know is that the 35 f2 is at its weakest wide open close up.

The extreme corners don't get really sharp even at F8 at infinity. Most of these pixel peeper lens tests are done taking shots of brick walls or books at closer distances. Not that great for landscape photography. The 27/2.8 and 50/2 are tack sharp over the whole image.

Other than that the 35/2 is a really nice lens.

I agree about the 35f2 corners. I also agree about 50 f2 sharp all over. Not sure on 27 as havnt used it in a while.

The 35mm f2 is great for landscapes. Extreme corners are never really relevant to an image and its still sharper than the 35 f1.4. Plus weather sealing.

-- hide signature --

Cordial Regards

Miguel-C's gear list:Miguel-C's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Canon EOS M5 Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN
Miguel-C
Seems like you've made up your mind

The 35mm f2 is faster, smaller, has weather sealing, is sharper (according to those samples) and the bokeh is the same (although the bokeh balls of the f2 are rounder in those samples, if it matters)

Is there any reason for you to keep the f1.4? is it the peer pressure?

-- hide signature --

Cordial Regards

Fujifilm X-T2 Canon EOS M5 Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN
maltmoose Senior Member • Posts: 2,300

Miguel-C wrote:

maltmoose wrote:

Pixel8888 wrote:

maltmoose wrote:

Aparently one is magic and the other isnt. All i know is that the 35 f2 is at its weakest wide open close up.

The extreme corners don't get really sharp even at F8 at infinity. Most of these pixel peeper lens tests are done taking shots of brick walls or books at closer distances. Not that great for landscape photography. The 27/2.8 and 50/2 are tack sharp over the whole image.

Other than that the 35/2 is a really nice lens.

I agree about the 35f2 corners. I also agree about 50 f2 sharp all over. Not sure on 27 as havnt used it in a while.

The 35mm f2 is great for landscapes. Extreme corners are never really relevant to an image and its still sharper than the 35 f1.4. Plus weather sealing.

yep agree corners dont matter all that much, a reasonable compromise. Although the 50 f2 gets sharp everywhere, i have both. Dont own the 35 1.4

maltmoose's gear list:maltmoose's gear list
Ricoh GR III
Leicalika Regular Member • Posts: 337
Re: Seems like you've made up your mind

Miguel-C wrote:

The 35mm f2 is faster, smaller, has weather sealing, is sharper (according to those samples) and the bokeh is the same (although the bokeh balls of the f2 are rounder in those samples, if it matters)

it's for those of whom believe in "magic"

Miguel-C

Leicalika wrote:

Miguel-C wrote:

Ah, got it. I do love Lord of the rings.

-- hide signature --

Cordial Regards

forest dream Senior Member • Posts: 1,563

Miguel-C wrote:

Leicalika wrote:

Miguel-C wrote:

Ah, got it. I do love Lord of the rings.

Em... Agree. Many Fuji lovers like aperture ring of lens.

Street_Photography
Street_Photography Senior Member • Posts: 2,001

Swap the f2 for the 50 f2. 90 will be too long for kids most of the time.

Street_Photography's gear list:Street_Photography's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 II 7artisans 7.5mm F2.8 Fisheye +2 more
downfall Regular Member • Posts: 108

I felt f1.4 has richer color than f2.0.

downfall's gear list:downfall's gear list
Ricoh GR II Fujifilm X-E1 Sony a7 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Sigma 45mm F2.8 DG DN

Miguel-C wrote:

It's the f1.4 actually. I often shoot indoors so that aperture is really handy. Like I said, it's the AF vs f1.4 for me. Sharpness and bokeh are almost the same in my eyes.

Street_Photography wrote:

yeah maybe I'm getting a 50 f2 after selling the either 35 f2 or f1.4. 90 f2 is incredible outdoors, I may hold it for years to come.

downfall wrote:

I felt f1.4 has richer color than f2.0.

I notice that as well not only on these test shots.

Miguel-C

jidccruz wrote:

Miguel-C wrote:

It's the f1.4 actually. I often shoot indoors so that aperture is really handy. Like I said, it's the AF vs f1.4 for me. Sharpness and bokeh are almost the same in my eyes.

Let's hope fuji refreshes their 35mm lenses to offer both fast aperture and fast AF.

-- hide signature --

Cordial Regards

Street_Photography
Street_Photography Senior Member • Posts: 2,001

jidccruz wrote:

yeah maybe I'm getting a 50 f2 after selling the either 35 f2 or f1.4. 90 f2 is incredible outdoors, I may hold it for years to come.

Sounds like a plan. I assume the 90 will be great for any activities, big parks, general outdoors. But the 50mm is so lightweight and more suitable for general use like the garden and small parks.

For 35mm, its such an in-between, versatile focal length, that f2 would leave me wanting more bokeh/subject separation. I haven't owned eitger 35 but after trying in-store the f2 bored me and wasn't very good at focusing. The f1.4 wowed me instantly despite the noisy, jerky focusing.

I would keep the f1.4 and see what the new 33mm f1.4 turns out like. My guess is you will live happily ever after with the 35mm f1.4 as the new one will be $900 and more clinical (less character). You have the Fujicrons for clinical and WR. It's nice to have something different. I think of the f1.4 like an autofocus vintage lens which is a rare luxury.

Street_Photography's gear list:Street_Photography's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 II 7artisans 7.5mm F2.8 Fisheye +2 more
Leicalika Regular Member • Posts: 337

. My guess is you will live happily ever after with the 35mm f1.4 as the new one will be $900 and more clinical (less character). You have the Fujicrons for clinical and WR. It's nice to have something different. I think of the f1.4 like an autofocus vintage lens which is a rare luxury.

the upcoming 33mm will probably be within 50. bucks

of  the 35 1.4 and an upgrade in all manner and form

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads