Fujifilm XF 35mm f1.4 vs 35mm f2 (Sample Photos)

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
jidccruz Regular Member • Posts: 115
Fujifilm XF 35mm f1.4 vs 35mm f2 (Sample Photos)

Just happened to get a great deal for an X-T2 + 35 f2 and I was curious on how it will compare to the 35 f1.4. I shot these using an X-T30, handheld.

I specifically wanted to compare the sharpness at f1.4 and f2 (both), minimum focus distance, and bokeh if I can really tell any difference.

Not a good scene/set-up, but hope the comparison helps.

I can tell the difference but for me it will negligible on day to day use. That's now I'm confused on whether what to keep... Looks like the f2 is at an advantage because of WR, noticeable faster and quieter AF, smaller size; if the sharpness and bokeh are almost the same between the two.

For a long time I firmly hold onto my f1.4... Now I don't know anymore haha

MFD

XF 35mm f1.4 @ f1.4

XF 35mm f1.4 @ f2

XF 35mm f2 @ f2

Bokeh

XF 35mm f1.4 @ f1.4

XF 35mm f1.4 @ f2

XF 35mm f2 @ f2

jidccruz's gear list:jidccruz's gear list
Fujifilm X70 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR XF 90mm
Fujifilm X-T2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
fujiian
fujiian Contributing Member • Posts: 645
Re: Fujifilm XF 35mm f1.4 vs 35mm f2 (Sample Photos)

inb4 the massive flame war...

OP, hope you enjoy having both. There really are excellent use cases for both.

The 1.4 should be able to focus significantly closer, and the uncorrected RAWs on the f2 should reveal a good bit of distortion.

fujiian's gear list:fujiian's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +6 more
OP jidccruz Regular Member • Posts: 115

fujiian wrote:

The 1.4 should be able to focus significantly closer, and the uncorrected RAWs on the f2 should reveal a good bit of distortion.

I actually want to know everyone's thoughts as I don't plan to keep them both.

I really really love the f1.4 and not minding the slow and hunting focusing, but my daughter is starting to learn to walk now and I reckon the f2 will give me more keepers than the f1.4, so.... I don't really know. Although I have the 23 f2 and 90 f2 which are snappy (giving myself reason to keep the slowpoke 35 f1.4 haha)

And yeah, the distortion is really there for the f2.

Fujifilm X70 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR XF 90mm
maltmoose Senior Member • Posts: 2,396

Aparently one is magic and the other isnt. All i know is that the 35 f2 is at its weakest wide open close up.

maltmoose wrote:

Aparently one is magic and the other isnt. All i know is that the 35 f2 is at its weakest wide open close up.

Yeah "the magic", I saw this everywhere and most of the time they are referring to the f1.4.

On the photos above, 35 f2 at close up has almost the same sharpness as the f1.4 at f2.

jidccruz wrote:

maltmoose wrote:

Yeah "the magic", I saw this everywhere and most of the time they are referring to the f1.4.

On the photos above, 35 f2 at close up has almost the same sharpness as the f1.4 at f2.

I didnt check them closeup but thats good to know.

astonehouse
astonehouse Regular Member • Posts: 344

Both great lenses, I prefer the image from the f2 but not by much. I had both and kept the f2. For me the difference was also the usability, the faster, quiet AF and WR won me over.

I've got the 50mm f2 and 56mm f1.2 thinking I'd sell one but that's much harder for me, and now starting to think I'll just keep both as  they serve different needs. That may be the case for the 35 f1.4 and f2 for some people too.

astonehouse's gear list:astonehouse's gear list
Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4 +2 more
Pixel8888 Contributing Member • Posts: 616

maltmoose wrote:

The extreme corners don't get really sharp even at F8 at infinity. Most of these pixel peeper lens tests are done taking shots of brick walls or books at closer distances. Not that great for landscape photography. The 27/2.8 and 50/2 are tack sharp over the whole image.

Other than that the 35/2 is a really nice lens.

Leicalika Regular Member • Posts: 341

prefer the 35  F2 but, you're not lensless, so wait for the 33  F1.4

astonehouse wrote:

Both great lenses, I prefer the image from the f2 but not by much. I had both and kept the f2. For me the difference was also the usability, the faster, quiet AF and WR won me over.

I've got the 50mm f2 and 56mm f1.2 thinking I'd sell one but that's much harder for me, and now starting to think I'll just keep both as they serve different needs. That may be the case for the 35 f1.4 and f2 for some people too.

Me too. Sometimes I prefer the shot from the f2 because it tends to more accurately focus on moving subjects. I'm torn now.

Or I can just sell both and get the 50 f2 to pair it with my 23 f2 and 90 f2.

Pocket Lint Senior Member • Posts: 1,717

Talk about splitting hairs here. If you can’t make a good image with either of these lenses … well …

good luck.

Pocket Lint's gear list:Pocket Lint's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm X-Pro3 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +5 more

Pocket Lint wrote:

Talk about splitting hairs here. If you can’t make a good image with either of these lenses … well …

good luck.

For my taste I believe I made fine photos in each lenses, almost can't tell what lens I used unless looking at the exifs. They're both solid performer actually. It all comes down to AF vs f1.4.

Sjak
Sjak Senior Member • Posts: 6,336

jidccruz wrote:

For my taste I believe I made fine photos in each lenses, almost can't tell what lens I used unless looking at the exifs.

So if you really want to sell one, why not put ads for both online and see which sells first; keep the other.

Sjak's gear list:Sjak's gear list
Pentax K100D Pentax K10D Leica M-Monochrom Pentax K-1
biza43 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,969

Well, if for you the differences are negligible, than one is one stop faster than the other. Is that important to you? It is to me.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com
http://blog.paulobizarro.com/

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Carl Zeiss C Sonnar T* 1,5/50 ZM Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +1 more

Pixel8888 wrote:

maltmoose wrote:

The extreme corners don't get really sharp even at F8 at infinity. Most of these pixel peeper lens tests are done taking shots of brick walls or books at closer distances. Not that great for landscape photography. The 27/2.8 and 50/2 are tack sharp over the whole image.

I agree about the 35f2 corners. I also agree about 50 f2 sharp all over. Not sure on 27 as havnt used it in a while.

Rod McD Veteran Member • Posts: 7,684

Pixel8888 wrote:

maltmoose wrote:

I own both 35's and that's my experience too.  The 35/2 is very sharp over most of the image but the corners (and I mean the far corners) never sharpen up completely.  I don't know what causes it.  It does improve slowly as I stop down, but is always there even if I were to try it at f16.

I've still got both lenses.  Being interested mostly in hiking, landscape and nature I prefer the 35.1.4 because it's sharp to the corners - I almost never use it wide open despite other people banging on about its rendering.  However, I also prefer sealing.  I'm wondering whether the tipped 33/1.4 will solve both problems.  The sad part is that it will probably be much bigger too.

I agree with your the comment on the 27 and 50, especially when stopped down a few stops - they're very sharp indeed.

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Olympus Tough TG-4 Fujifilm X-T4 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +13 more
forest dream Senior Member • Posts: 1,726
Alternative

How about other alternative :

• $199 XC 35mm F2 which claimed optically idential to the XF version (130g)
  • $279 Viltrox AF 33mm f/1.4 XF Lens for FUJIFILM X (270g)

DPReview lens specs:

• $599 XF 35mm F1.4 R (187g) : 1 aspherical element.
  • $499 XF 35mm F2 R WR (170g) : 2 ED elements + Nano-GI coating.
  • $199 XC 35mm F2 (130g) : 2 aspherical elements.

Are XF 35mm F1.4 R coating different with XF 35mm F2 R WR?

XC 35mm F2 claimed optically idential to the XF version, just with a plastic chassis and lens mount. Are XC 35mm F2 missing Fuji coating since missing "Super EBC" mark in lens.

If missing Fuji coating, why not go to affordable Viltrox AF 33mm f/1.4? Biggest issue of affordable China's lens is missing good coating.

astonehouse
astonehouse Regular Member • Posts: 344

jidccruz wrote:

astonehouse wrote:

I've got the 50mm f2 and 56mm f1.2 thinking I'd sell one but that's much harder for me, and now starting to think I'll just keep both as they serve different needs. That may be the case for the 35 f1.4 and f2 for some people too.

Me too. Sometimes I prefer the shot from the f2 because it tends to more accurately focus on moving subjects. I'm torn now.

Or I can just sell both and get the 50 f2 to pair it with my 23 f2 and 90 f2.

This probably makes for a more versatile kit and the 50 f2 and 90 f2 are two of the sharpest Fuji lenses.

astonehouse's gear list:astonehouse's gear list
Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4 +2 more
Pocket Lint Senior Member • Posts: 1,717

jidccruz wrote:

fujiian wrote:

I really really love the f1.4 and not minding the slow and hunting focusing, but my daughter is starting to learn to walk now and I reckon the f2 will give me more keepers than the f1.4, so.... I don't really know. Although I have the 23 f2 and 90 f2 which are snappy (giving myself reason to keep the slowpoke 35 f1.4 haha)

Issue solved! Get sell the 35 1.4 and get the 50 f/2! Or sell the 35 f/2. I have the 23 f/2, 50 f/2 and 16 f/2.8 and I’m happy with how they render. I’m not even concerned about f/1.4 because if I want extreme subject separation I have my canon full frame and full frame lenses to do that.

Pocket Lint's gear list:Pocket Lint's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm X-Pro3 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +5 more
JoshuaR Regular Member • Posts: 320

jidccruz wrote:

Personally, I wouldn't make this decision using test images. I'd take pictures of your main subject—your toddler daughter—and see which you prefer.

I have a three year old, and after testing both I found that I preferred the 35 1.4. On my X-Pro3, the focusing is very fast. And I think the extra stop of light is meaningful. I take a lot of family pictures in low light.

JoshuaR's gear list:JoshuaR's gear list
Ricoh GR III Leica Q2 Fujifilm X100V
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads