First job using drone

Started 6 months ago | Photos
Sagittarius Veteran Member • Posts: 7,794
First job using drone

Past weekend I did my first RE shooting including the use of my drone. For the first time I flew my drone at 400'. You can barely see it if at all. RTH feature worked very good and landed it very precisely.

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

-- hide signature --

Best regards

Sagittarius's gear list:Sagittarius's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z7 II Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-6.3G ED VR +5 more
Otto
Otto Senior Member • Posts: 1,245
Re: First job using drone

Congratulations on getting your first paying drone job. I bet you were excited to do your first one. I would like to do that as well some day.

-- hide signature --

Otto...

Otto's gear list:Otto's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Panasonic LX100 Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS60 Canon Pixma Pro-100
Ken Seals
Ken Seals Senior Member • Posts: 1,730

Depending on the property, you will certainly need a FEW high angle images to show the extent of the property.

The rest of your images of the house are from way too high. When the roof takes up most of the image, that's too high. A drone elevation in the 10-20 foot range will show the house much better. It's a simple error many beginning drone photographers make.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Ken - LR ACE
FAA Remote Pilot Certificate, ATP ASMEL
Mizzou PJ '66
www.kenseals.com

Ken Seals's gear list:Ken Seals's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
OP Sagittarius Veteran Member • Posts: 7,794

Ken Seals wrote:

Depending on the property, you will certainly need a FEW high angle images to show the extent of the property.

The rest of your images of the house are from way too high. When the roof takes up most of the image, that's too high. A drone elevation in the 10-20 foot range will show the house much better. It's a simple error many beginning drone photographers make.

I have been asked to show roof since owner has a relatively new roof. I have a normal pictures of the front and back of the house.

-- hide signature --

Best regards

Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z7 II Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-6.3G ED VR +5 more
Ken Seals

Sagittarius wrote:

Ken Seals wrote:

I have been asked to show roof since owner has a relatively new roof. I have a normal pictures of the front and back of the house.

Well, that explains it Closer would have given better detail of the roof. Also congratulations on avoiding the power lines in front.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Ken - LR ACE
Mizzou PJ '66
www.kenseals.com

Nikon D700 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
RedFox88 Forum Pro • Posts: 30,550

Since you are in the US and this sounds like commercial work (for money) you are a FAA part 107 certified pilot, right? 400 feet is the maximum height you’re able to fly at for commercial work without special permission.

RedFox88 wrote:

Since you are in the US and this sounds like commercial work (for money) you are a FAA part 107 certified pilot, right?

Right.

400 feet is the maximum height you’re able to fly at for commercial work without special permission.

As part 107 certified RP, you can fly 400' above structure and this will put you above 400' AGL. No permition required.

-- hide signature --

Best regards

Dericali Regular Member • Posts: 254

Sagittarius wrote:

Past weekend I did my first RE shooting including the use of my drone. For the first time I flew my drone at 400'. You can barely see it if at all. RTH feature worked very good and landed it very precisely.

Two main issues: in many of the images, the subject is not in the centre of the frame.

Additionally, for the angled shots of a structure, it's usually preferable to show the horizon line, unless you are intending to highlight a specific detail.

Dericali wrote:

Sagittarius wrote:

Two main issues: in many of the images, the subject is not in the centre of the frame.

Not nececerally.

Additionally, for the angled shots of a structure, it's usually preferable to show the horizon line, unless you are intending to highlight a specific detail.

If you can see one.

-- hide signature --

Best regards

Sagittarius wrote:

Dericali wrote:

Sagittarius wrote:

Not nececerally.

If you can see one.

Perhaps I was not clear -  normally it works best to include the horizon line or the sky in a photo of a building, as it looks more natural. Can share some examples if you like.

Dericali wrote:

Sagittarius wrote:

Dericali wrote:

Sagittarius wrote:

Not nececerally.

If you can see one.

Perhaps I was not clear - normally it works best to include the horizon line or the sky in a photo of a building, as it looks more natural. Can share some examples if you like.

Please do. Always like to learn.

-- hide signature --

Best regards

These are obviously commercial RE and not residential, but it's basically the same principle: keep the main structure centred in the frame, and show horizon or sky for most of the photos, except on occasions such as birds eye view or detail shots.

Like I said, sometimes you cannot see the sky. The tries behind house where much higher than house. If I would bring lens up, I would loose the house and yard in front of it. As to put building in the center, it depends what you want to show. Anyway you have your POV, I have mine and let's leave it at that. The main goal is to keep client happy.

-- hide signature --

Best regards

mmarian Senior Member • Posts: 2,083

Sagittarius wrote:

Like I said, sometimes you cannot see the sky. The tries behind house where much higher than house. If I would bring lens up, I would loose the house and yard in front of it. As to put building in the center, it depends what you want to show. Anyway you have your POV, I have mine and let's leave it at that. The main goal is to keep client happy.

Ken Seals

Excellent examples

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Ken - LR ACE
Mizzou PJ '66
www.kenseals.com

blank_ Regular Member • Posts: 468

Sagittarius wrote:

In your first picture, just changing the framing should show the horizon, which I agree could look better. That picture also looks better as the centered composition with straight lines often works best. (You could avoid the wires in front).

Another composition that usually works is looking straight down perpendicular at the subject

blank_'s gear list:blank_'s gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Sony a7 Nikon 1 J5 Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 +5 more
mmarian Senior Member • Posts: 2,083

Ken Seals wrote:

Excellent examples

Thanks Ken. Just wanted to offer a few exaples where IMHO both angles can work, horizon and no horizon. Also agree with the other poster that the top down look is also popular among realtors, as it shows the size and shape of the property.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads